Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat - Page 3 Cox_ba12

Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat - Page 3 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by rsv1cox Today at 7:41 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 7:29 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by akjgardner Today at 6:10 am

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by MauricioB Yesterday at 10:11 pm

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:51 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» I brake for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:38 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 6:27 pm

» Ball - Socket Joints
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» A little nostalgia…
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:32 pm

» A new useful transport vehicle
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 10:32 am

» TAPLIN TWIN 7ccm
by grant.symes Yesterday at 3:29 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat - Page 3 Empty
Live on Patrol

Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat - Page 3 Empty Re: Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat

Post  rsv1cox Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:13 pm

Everytime I see one of your nicely conceived red .049 mufflers roddie it reminds me of the one you sent me. Don't give up hope, I will get to testing it. But I have just been overwhelmed with activity lately.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat - Page 3 Empty Re: Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat

Post  roddie Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:19 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Everytime I see one of your nicely conceived red .049 mufflers roddie it reminds me of the one you sent me.  Don't give up hope, I will get to testing it.  But I have just been overwhelmed with activity lately.  

Bob

No worries Robert. I understand completely. Thumbs Up
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:59 pm

This is a plunger/needle for the Ace/Cooney venturi-throttle designed for the Cox Bee (.049 reed-valve) engines. The backplate has an air-intake, consisting of a .063" diameter hole which is directly on-center with the engine's four tank-screws; making it easier to drill a guide-hole through the firewall for the .062" diameter plunger to pass through and into the backplate.

I want to be able to throttle the engine while the pump/drive is submerged.. to see "if" and "how far" I can throttle-down.

Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat - Page 3 Jet_pu11

Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat - Page 3 Jet_pu10
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:37 pm

That’s an interesting way to throttle a reed valve engine roddie, I’ve seen your video and looks like it could be made to work well and the boat is a good application….. Something to consider to help idle: …. Some of the guys in our club would rig a micro switch so that the throttle servo arm would engage it at idle position….. The switch turned on power to the glow plug from an onboard 1.2 volt nicad cell to help reduce flame outs at low idle…..The onboard could serve for starting as well…. A boat could carry something like this easily
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  robot797 Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:45 pm

oh I cant wait for the firsth tests!!!!
robot797
robot797
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:34 pm

Here's a YouTube video of a full-scale jet-pump powered boat.. with twin supercharged Corvette engines..

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:05 am

That was a CRAZY GOOD Jet-Boat Vid.............. really

We had been experiencing a mild transition into spring; weatherwise.. here in New England.. but a recent couple of cold (32F) nights here in Northern Rhode Island spanked us... (where's the spanked us icon?)............. currently raining heavily.. at 02:07 am

Last edited by roddie on Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:02 am

It's a special project I can't wait to see the result and on what type of boat it will be used I hope it works it would be the first time that tubine of this type would be used on a Cox engine. This is really cool stuf Thumbs Up
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:40 am

davidll1984 wrote:It's a special project I can't wait to see the result and on what type of boat it will be used I hope it works it would be the first time that tubine of this type would be used on a Cox engine. This is really cool stuf Thumbs Up

Thanks David. I'm watching your outrigger project with anticipation too! I've been distracted from this project for the last few weeks.. but it's kept me from making hasty decisions with it.

My power-panel battery needed charging.. which has since been taken care of. The pump test-fixture needs some attention. I want the first test to be "wet" which will require using the bathtub with a small amount of water drawn; just enough to cover the pump.. but not allow any water to enter the Bee engine's rear air-intake. I have an idea to try.. and will attach a photo after I work on it.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:36 pm

Here's what I came up with for testing the engine-pump combo in my bathtub. It will only require approx. 1" of water-depth to fully cover the pump's intake-grate.

.. and since water doesn't burn... we need to raise the engine's air-intake to only receive air..

Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat - Page 3 20240312

Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat - Page 3 20240310

I made an elbow-diverter for the water-cooling nipple found on the pump's stationary nozzle.. so I don't end up squirting water all over the bathroom floor.  Laughing Could I "cap it"? Sure... but I want to see how effective it would be if I decided to utilize it.

Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat - Page 3 20240313

Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat - Page 3 20240315

The Ace/Cooney style venturi-tube throttle.. It's not the best throttling solution for this application.. but I want to see if the engine will throttle-down under the load of the pump. What's interesting here is; the engine performance shouldn't differ; between the pump being stationary.. and being in a hull underway. An exposed propeller's feedback through the driveline will vary greatly by comparison..... wouldn't it?

Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat - Page 3 20240314

A better option would be to fit an exhaust throttle.. and run a Sure-Start style (horseshoe) backplate with a choke-tube... double-acting as a snorkel; effectively raising the air-intake above the bilge. The only downside to the exhaust-throttle is; that I can't use my muffler-design... yet.  Eyebrows
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:16 pm

The Ace/Cooney style venturi tube accelerator should be suitable and even work very well but for a better control It would be better to control with servo I can already imagine the fixture with the entire system propelling backwards and making it difficult to maintain a precise engine speed. It will have to be pressed into the bottom at the rear of the bathtub. I've done this before but only once Doh! But after filling the bathroom with smoke then I decided to do it outside i was doing it in a small pool for children. This was great, it saved me from making a mess in the bath and water everywhere in addition to the smoke but this was à big one wit nitro engine a OS .35 lol!
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:51 pm

davidll1984 wrote:The Ace/Cooney style venturi tube accelerator should be suitable and even work very well but for a better control It would be better to control with servo I can already imagine the fixture with the entire system propelling backwards and making it difficult to maintain a precise engine speed. It will have to be pressed into the bottom at the rear of the bathtub.   I've done this before but only once Doh!   But after filling the bathroom with smoke then I decided to do it outside i was doing it in a small  pool for children.  This was great, it saved me from making a mess in the bath and water everywhere in addition to the smoke but this was à big one wit nitro engine a OS .35  lol!

Yes David, You are imagining the test fixture correctly. It will require being "pressed" (held-down firmly) against the floor of the bathtub. I'll need to check the length of my glowplug clip-wires.. as my power panel will be outside of the bathtub.. on the floor.. near the toilet. (Do we have a toilet emoticon?)
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:22 pm

yep we do Reading
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat - Page 3 Empty Loading up the pump...

Post  Boats13 Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:35 pm

I don't know if it will scale... but, here goes, full size jet boats will "bog down" whilst stationary and unload the back pressure at the pump nozzle as the boat picks up speed. Maybe if you have a detachable showerhead with hose you could create a current under the "boat/test fixture", to give the pump pseudo movement. Or maybe it will move the water in the tub enough to create circulation! 🤔
I can't wait for that video!

CT
Boats13
Boats13
Silver Member
Silver Member

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:25 am

This Site Rocks! Popcorn Coming together roddie , Nitro in the bathroom Damn!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  robot797 Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:43 pm

robot797
robot797
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:40 pm

So... I'm not going to use the bathtub to test-run the pump.. Laughing ........... I know that you all wanted to see that.. but I want to continue to remain in the good graces of SWMBO.. (Lynne)

She'll detect the essence of even the slightest lingering amounts of methanol, castor, Klotz and nitro like a bloodhound.. so I'm going to locate a window-box planter to use as a tub outdoors.

Something like this one shown below..

Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat - Page 3 Window12

It'll be easier all around.. because I'll be able to set everything on the patio-table  and stand upright while working. The weather is getting consistently warmer too.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  HalfaDave Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:18 pm

Hi roddie,
Thanks for sharing this cool Cox project with us ! Cool
The Cox Sandblaster unit I used had a pull start...
Got tired of fouled props and wading in to get it back...
This jet drive is awesome !
I used a small wading pool outdoors, to test my 'will it run' setup.
Disappointing, but it ran way, way better, when I launched and 'let It go' ! Smile
Thanks CEF forum,
I like to add when I can,
Dave
HalfaDave
HalfaDave
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:33 am

Sounds better roddie or you would bee in the Cat House sense U don't have Dogs lol!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:36 am

Could get a kiddie pool and tether run the engine with an actual boat.
Small Cox Logo
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:42 am

roddie wrote:So... I'm not going to use the bathtub to test-run the pump.. Laughing ........... I know that you all wanted to see that.. but I want to continue to remain in the good graces of SWMBO.. (Lynne)

She'll detect the essence of even the slightest lingering amounts of methanol, castor, Klotz and nitro like a bloodhound.. so I'm going to locate a window-box planter to use as a tub outdoors.

Something like this one shown below..

Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat - Page 3 Window12

It'll be easier all around.. because I'll be able to set everything on the patio-table  and stand upright while working. The weather is getting consistently warmer too.

Perfect solution, cheap, available, and disposible.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:45 pm

So............ I sourced a 30" window-box planter to use as a test-tub. Because it's a planter; I'll need to seal the drain-holes in the bottom.. but it's the perfect size for what I need.

Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat - Page 3 30_tes11

Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat - Page 3 30_tes10
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat - Page 3 Empty swap to exhaust throttle

Post  roddie Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:27 am

I decided that an exhaust-throttle might be easier to "apply".. and also to control. I'd set-up another alternate-engine with the exhaust throttle.. and decided to swap cylinders.. and make a linkage. I made an aluminum cooling-coil too.

Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat - Page 3 Cox_5c10

W.O.T. position shown below

Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat - Page 3 Cox_5c12

Closed/idle position shown below

Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat - Page 3 Cox_5c11

This exhaust-throttle is a new experience for me.. and during it's installation; I see mis-alignments in the drive... that I need to address.

Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat - Page 3 20240425
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat - Page 3 Empty shaft-swap

Post  roddie Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:35 am

I could "see" a fair amount of run-out/imbalance in the coupling.. so I decided to make/install a new .125" solid /music-wire shaft. It's a lot better than it was.. and we'll soon see if it works.

Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat - Page 3 _125_s10
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  robot797 Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:47 am

OH so close I cant wait for the results
robot797
robot797
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next