Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Scott Thunderbird. 65 SUPERCHARGED  Cox_ba12

Scott Thunderbird. 65 SUPERCHARGED  Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Three (only one left) Cox .020 silencers for sale.
by GallopingGhostler Today at 5:12 am

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by Admin Today at 2:38 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by MauricioB Today at 1:50 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 1:42 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:20 am

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:00 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by roddie Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» Post your Older ignition books
by lla Yesterday at 6:34 pm

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Yesterday at 8:40 am

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by getback Yesterday at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:31 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:16 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Scott Thunderbird. 65 SUPERCHARGED  Empty
Live on Patrol

Scott Thunderbird. 65 SUPERCHARGED

Go down

Scott Thunderbird. 65 SUPERCHARGED  Empty Scott Thunderbird. 65 SUPERCHARGED

Post  Boats13 Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:59 pm

OK, this is on evilBay:

Scott Thunderbird. 65 SUPERCHARGED  Screen16

I found a single picture of the "supercharger " it looked like a stamped aluminum fan...
I have no idea how it might presssurize anything.  I saw no housing for it. A Yonex k ow a yuthing about this crazy thing?

CT
Boats13
Boats13
Silver Member
Silver Member

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Scott Thunderbird. 65 SUPERCHARGED  Empty Re: Scott Thunderbird. 65 SUPERCHARGED

Post  getback Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:23 am

Is that from whochecochie on the other side of the big pond Very Happy  https://www.capitalone.com/cars/learn/finding-the-right-car/how-does-a-supercharger-work/1367Scott Thunderbird. 65 SUPERCHARGED  70631512
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Scott Thunderbird. 65 SUPERCHARGED  Empty Blowers

Post  Boats13 Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:59 am

Actually, I am very familiar with Blowers. Roots, Centrifugal, Compound,, geared, belted, clutched, on a gasoline engine (as in anything from a SBC, BBC, or even a Hemi), an O.S. 1.20 Glow Fuel tiny Monster, or a two stroke GM Detroi Diesel! "But, I ain't ever seen nothin' like that!" The stamped fan, on this thing, looked like an axial compressor in a turbine! Well, if you stamped one out of sheet aluminum.

CT

Wow, just read my first post, I'll try to NOT post without my reading glasses on, ever.
Boats13
Boats13
Silver Member
Silver Member

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Scott Thunderbird. 65 SUPERCHARGED  Empty Re: Scott Thunderbird. 65 SUPERCHARGED

Post  Boats13 Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:06 pm

The stamped fan, on this thing, looked like an axial compressor in a turbine! Well, if you stamped one out of sheet aluminum.

Here is the only pic I could find of this thing's innards:

Scott Thunderbird. 65 SUPERCHARGED  Screen17

I believe it said 1946-1947. I can't see where the porting technology is anything special....   But,  maybe the forced Induction would bring the power up to comparable levels? I just don't know enough about how it's made nor what kind of boost they expected or actually accomplished! I was hoping Mr Ken Cook, Kim, or even 1/2A Nut would have some insight into something that exotic!
CT
Boats13
Boats13
Silver Member
Silver Member

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:34 pm

Looking at the first photo.. I see what looks like a "spark-plug".. which would make sense for the mid 1940's. What I don't see; is any type of ignition-support parts like a "breaker-point" set-up on the engine.. for timing-advance/retard. Compressor technology did exist back then.. but it's hard to say whether it was successfully applied to a model engine. We need an exploded-view of the crankcase for a better understanding. Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:50 pm

I found these images on the web from Worthpoint.. but they're not much help. I "do" see now; what looks like the breaker-point set-up..  

Scott Thunderbird. 65 SUPERCHARGED  1_343a10

Scott Thunderbird. 65 SUPERCHARGED  1_343a11
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Scott Thunderbird. 65 SUPERCHARGED  Empty Linky

Post  Boats13 Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:44 pm

I should have posted this Link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204723403912

I was unable to find any exploded diagrams.  

SAITO used a two chamber drum/rotor/valve/crankcase/double sided carburetor feeding to a separate chamber "THINGIE" monstrosity they called a supercharger on their .90 four stroke supercharged engine.
O.S . used a "Roots Style" (think Blower like you see on a Top Fuel Dragster) supercharger in their 1.20 Surpass supercharged engine. Machined to such tight tolerances that "You WILL damage it, if you disassemble it." It has two straight, hollow, and very short lobed rotors being driven by gears. The whole Blower/ carb/pump/ assembly bolts onto the back of the 1.20 ci four stroke. IIRC it had slightly lower compression to counter detonation.  I think it would be nigh on impossible to overdrive the Blower, in order to increase boost. (Which was my first gearhead thought)  More Power! ^insert simian grunts^
Even the SAITO craziness makes sense with it holding pressurized fuel/ air mix in the box from one down stroke to the next down stroke and feeding the doubled f/a volume at a higher pressure on the that intake (2nd) down stroke.

I originally thought it would a centrifugal compressor, driven at exactly engine rpm. But, the description says it is just mounted ahead of that rotor/drum valve:

Scott Thunderbird. 65 SUPERCHARGED  Screen18

I just can't see how it makes pressure with it just inside the case.  I agree, roddie. We. Need. An. Exploded.  Drawing. Even better would be a slow motion  teardown video or slide show! Well, it has gone above what I would risk on it. I just want to learn how it works and turn around sell it for cost plus shipping.  I would never have an airplane that would  justify my purchasing it. I hope someone on here with deep pockets will win it and post it up here!

CT

Boats13
Boats13
Silver Member
Silver Member

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:46 pm

The cam is at the rear of the propeller in the engine case the breaker point adjustment system is at the rear ... There is also a more advanced nitro engine With very similar technology a fan behind the crankchaft But this engine is designed for cars which has a similar system to improve suction, a type of super charge. Or so call turbo Maybe they took the idea from this engine It's a very cool engine. Thumbs Up
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down