Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

What was your first and what did you do with it? Cox_ba12

What was your first and what did you do with it? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fun Times Keeping Busy With Lead.....
by getback Today at 8:44 am

» Feed Station Zebra.. Spring 2024
by roddie Yesterday at 8:30 pm

» Willy Nillie's Shoestring micro racer powered by COX TeeDee010
by balogh Yesterday at 5:17 pm

» You know you’re in Branson, Missouri when
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» I need to go back to RC school..
by cstatman Yesterday at 1:41 pm

» Cox Thimble Drome Special & Champion info please Or Is there a time line?
by Myk Mon May 27, 2024 10:26 pm

» Scientific Gulfhawk
by roddie Mon May 27, 2024 8:59 pm

» Memorial Day 2024
by roddie Mon May 27, 2024 8:48 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Mon May 27, 2024 5:31 pm

» Does this book interest anyone?
by rdw777 Sun May 26, 2024 2:58 pm

» tap.. tap.. tap.. tap.. tap.. tap.. (reset)
by batjac Sun May 26, 2024 9:57 am

» Sold out Cox .049 silencers for sale
by sosam117 Sun May 26, 2024 6:16 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

What was your first and what did you do with it? Empty
Live on Patrol

What was your first and what did you do with it?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What was your first and what did you do with it? Empty What was your first and what did you do with it?

Post  nitroairplane Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:54 pm

What was your first cox engine and what did it power.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

What was your first and what did you do with it? Empty Re: What was your first and what did you do with it?

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:58 pm

nitroairplane wrote:What was your first cox engine and what did it power.

Black Widow! SIG Hummer.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

What was your first and what did you do with it? Empty RE: What was your first and what did you do with it?

Post  66 Malibu Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:51 pm

A Cox Lil' Stinker with a Pee Wee .020 for Christmas. I flew the wings off it for many years but while I was away in the Air Force, my Mother gave it to my cousin and I never saw it again. I should mention she also gave him about a Million Dollars worth of baseball cards. Don't know which one upsets me most.
Steve....
66 Malibu
66 Malibu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

What was your first and what did you do with it? Empty Re: What was your first and what did you do with it?

Post  ahrma_581 Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:53 pm

A PeeWee .020 in one of these

But I don't believe my parents paid that much.
ahrma_581
ahrma_581
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:57 pm

049 product engine that was in a Cox GTP Nissan RC car. I still have the car but the origional engine blew its crank pin.

Jason
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:02 pm

Jason_WI wrote:049 product engine that was in a Cox GTP Nissan RC car. I still have the car but the origional engine blew its crank pin.

Jason
Ah cool.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  mitchg95 Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:12 pm

cox .049 sure start on a 2x4
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:21 pm

A Black Widow on a Super Cub conversion.
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/MiniCub?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:31 pm

Space Bug Jr. and a Scientific Little Mustang.

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:34 pm

Nice.
I forgot to add mine.
A cox tee dee .010 and a Littlest stik.
Here is a video of the engine running.
I had it up until last year and then forgetting it was my first sold it when I was clearing out my modelling stuff,
I thought, oh a black tank .010 I have 5 so might as well let it go, sold on eBay for £68.

It went first go every time.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:16 pm

Cox .049 QZ that came in the nose of my 1968 PT-19 QZ Trainer. The plane taught me to fly, was flown a few thousand circles, modified, and generally tortured 'till it was a hulk. Eventually, it's carcass was chucked, and it's engine is still somewhere adrift in the sea of parts that fill the old cigar boxes in my engine cabinet.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:34 pm

Kim wrote:Cox .049 QZ that came in the nose of my 1968 PT-19 QZ Trainer. The plane taught me to fly, was flown a few thousand circles, modified, and generally tortured 'till it was a hulk. Eventually, it's carcass was chucked, and it's engine is still somewhere adrift in the sea of parts that fill the old cigar boxes in my engine cabinet.

yep, theres a lot of .049 parts from my youth mixed in with others, i still have a .020 from jr. high. First engine/plane was the Mini Stunt, followed by a Testors SN-J, still have tail feathers and cowl from that.
What was your first and what did you do with it? Boz9ho11What was your first and what did you do with it? 43666510
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:53 pm

Mark Boesen wrote:yep, theres a lot of .049 parts from my youth mixed in with others, i still have a .020 from jr. high. First engine/plane was the Mini Stunt, followed by a Testors SN-J, still have tail feathers and cowl from that.
What was your first and what did you do with it? Boz9ho11
Haha, that looks like something you could have flown in your parents' living room. Laughing

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:01 pm

My first was a black Stuka. It didn't last long though. My Dad bought me a PT-19 after I slagged the Stuka. It took a while, but after a box of yellow rubber bands I had the hang of it. Then I got another Stuka and flew it a lot. I still have a 3 blade prop and 2 yellow nose cones. I gave the two red postage stamp backplates away recently. They were the fine thread variety. Next was a P-40, which I presume had a Super Bee, but I don't recall a tank with "Thimble Drome" stamped on it. Seems like I may have had yet another PT-19, but I think I gave it all to my cousin. One had a yellow fuse and blue wings, iirc.

This is like mine. Truly a thing of beauty.
What was your first and what did you do with it? Stuka1-1

Last edited by RknRusty on Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:04 pm

Yep, I think it used 15' lines, but I could never get it started, I was only 9 or 10 with no adult help, it didin't matter as I was bitten by the model airplane bug.
The first plane that I was able to start and take off (and figure 9) was the SN-J. Going into 6th grade I got a PT-19 and flew the crap out of it and by then I was hooked. I got a Pennzoil Pitts for my 14th birthday, but by this time I was moved on to balsa!

If you look at the Jim Walker Firebird, the spinner was from my PT-19

What was your first and what did you do with it? Mark__11.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:10 pm

That's a snazzy haircut Mark!

Why so serious man?
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:21 pm

hey, it was the seventies and i was a cool dude...or at least i thought i was.
jeez, i don't know, maybe model airplane was serious stuff?
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike1484 Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:55 am

My first Cox motor was in the Cox Thimbledrome TD3 ,The red and white checkered plastic plane . I remember it to be a Baby Bee.049. Never flew the plane with the motor running but would whip it around with the motor off. Then I would mount the motor on a block of wood and run it.The TD3 was a good plane as far as plastic RTF models go . It was vacuum formed and was pretty light.I had just graduated from 4th grade , I'm 63 years old now.What a great hobby!

Mike1484
Mike1484
Mike1484
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:20 am

Mark Boesen wrote:hey, it was the seventies and i was a cool dude...or at least i thought i was.
jeez, i don't know, maybe model airplane was serious stuff?

Lol, yeah I get it, just poking fun. I would have been smiling ear to ear if I was holding those things.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:26 am

Mike1484 wrote: My first Cox motor was in the Cox Thimbledrome TD3 ,The red and white checkered plastic plane . I remember it to be a Baby Bee.049. Never flew the plane with the motor running but would whip it around with the motor off. Then I would mount the motor on a block of wood and run it.The TD3 was a good plane as far as plastic RTF models go . It was vacuum formed and was pretty light.I had just graduated from 4th grade , I'm 63 years old now.What a great hobby!
Mike1484
What was your first and what did you do with it? Td-3_t10 What was your first and what did you do with it? 55b9_110
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:17 am

Jason_WI wrote:049 product engine that was in a Cox GTP Nissan RC car. I still have the car but the origional engine blew its crank pin.

Jason

Hmm, my Nissan kinda did the same thing. Rattled the reed circlip off the backplate and jammed it between the crank and case, bent the rod and dented the piston top,,,at absolute free rpm full sing. locked up so hard and quick the car about twisted out of my grasp.

My first was a Carl Goldberg C/L model very similar to the Brodak Trainer and the first Cox was a Babe Bee. I built a Brodak trainer to what I remembered the look to be and didn't have a zinc backplate babe Bee at the time so I used what I had. The gold stripes and painted gold pushrod were added, for my personal touch. Filled and smoothed the wing roots and surfaces with Hobbylite filler and used Brodak butrates and balsa sealer. several layers of sanding and filling there, to the point it wasent doing any more good or got any smoother. Made my own leadout guide out of balsa wood and brass tube. I should have Rit-dyed the bellcrank and engine mount, but it was a afterthought.
What was your first and what did you do with it? Brodaktrainer001-2-1

PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  GermanBeez Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:36 pm

my busted up super bee that some guy found in his attic and put on ebay.
7 euro buy Very Happy
GermanBeez
GermanBeez
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sdjjadk Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:38 pm

My first was a COX P-40 Warhawk.
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

What was your first and what did you do with it? Empty What was your first and what did you do with it?

Post  MMT Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:25 am

First was a Cox Corsair c/l received from "Santa" Christmas, 1960. It was the best present I could have imagined. Mom and Dad had no idea what they had done. They just knew I liked models so they found this airplane thought I would like it. Didn't even know it had a motor. The plane came complete with everything you needed to make it work. It was on! While the rest of the family was busy opening the rest of their gifts, 9 y.o. me, was in the corner readying his bird to run. Man, this thing had a real "gas" engine. WOW. Read just enough of the instructions to figure out how to start it. After about 15 min. of getting my fingers whacked, the motor caught. It ran for about five seconds. Enough time to smoke up the living room, scare the crap out of Mom, have Dad to tell me if I was going to play with that d**n thing, I had better take it to the basement. As to what happened to the Corsair? I spent meny happy hours and several pints of Cox fuel in the basement playing with my "toy" airplane until spring allowed me to get it outside. When I got outside with it, I began my "flying lessons". This too didn't go well, after three months and several tubes of model glue, the Corsair was done. The only thing I was able to save was the engine. Tough little bugger. Would still run a few years later when I traded it off.
MMT
MMT
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:39 am

Great story MMT, very funny. Smile
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/MiniCub?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum