Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Treasures are where you find them - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Treasures are where you find them - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walker Firebaby
by Oldenginerod Today at 6:42 am

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by rdw777 Today at 6:13 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 6:09 am

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by Mark Boesen Yesterday at 11:53 pm

» Baja Bug / Dune Buggy Recoil Starter
by vambrosini Yesterday at 8:57 pm

» Wanted: Pull Starter reapir kit for a Cox Dune Buggy.
by vambrosini Yesterday at 8:55 pm

» cox dune buggy/ baja bug
by vambrosini Yesterday at 8:49 pm

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 7:37 pm

» B-25 Mitchell
by rdw777 Yesterday at 9:49 am

» Cox water wizard
by Wiggy Yesterday at 6:32 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Sun May 12, 2024 9:52 pm

» Roddie's water-cooled bench-run vid
by roddie Sun May 12, 2024 8:55 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Treasures are where you find them - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Treasures are where you find them

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Treasures are where you find them - Page 2 Empty Re: Treasures are where you find them

Post  Cz10 Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:15 pm

Admin wrote:

Our hobby shop has a good sized box of wood top flight 6x3s. They are great for display engines or use! I still do use the black or gray Thimble Drome props when I bench run though.

Do they have any smaller diameter? I would love to get my hands on some 6 x 3 and maybe 5 x 4.
Cz10
Cz10
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Treasures are where you find them - Page 2 Empty Re: Treasures are where you find them

Post  SuperDave Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:21 pm

I alway pefered wooden props rather than nylon when flying in CL stunt competitions. They are much more rigid and less prone to flex in extreme manuvers like vertical figure eight.

SD
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:23 pm

Cz10 wrote:
Admin wrote:

Our hobby shop has a good sized box of wood top flight 6x3s. They are great for display engines or use! I still do use the black or gray Thimble Drome props when I bench run though.

Do they have any smaller diameter? I would love to get my hands on some 6 x 3 and maybe 5 x 4.

I'll run up there tomorrow and pick a few up. I'm not sure what the diameter of the center is. I did see the 6x3 or was it 6x4??? I really have to go see again! I don't think they have a 5x4 up there but if you know what you are doing, you could trim a 6x3 or 6x4 (whatever it was).
Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  Cz10 Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:59 am

Admin wrote:
Cz10 wrote:
Admin wrote:

I'll run up there tomorrow and pick a few up. I'm not sure what the diameter of the center is. I did see the 6x3 or was it 6x4??? I really have to go see again! I don't think they have a 5x4 up there but if you know what you are doing, you could trim a 6x3 or 6x4 (whatever it was).

Yep.. They could be trimmed ... Just a couple for now. I doubt they are gonna disappear! It would be interesting to work down from 6" x 4 by 1/4" increments and compare it to a 6 x 3. That RC Groups link on thrust testing made a comment on a 6 x 4 that "it ran hot" (with little or no difference in thrust IIRC ) - which was what I found - very hot engine. The tank was QUITE WARM! I switched to a 6 x 3 and things were quite cooler.
Cz10
Cz10
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:42 am

RknRusty wrote:I have never tried a wooden prop. Do they break really easy? If so, I'll have to stick to the black plastic.

They also "erode" from extended use! I ran a 7-4 on my O.S. .10-powered Lazy Bee for more than a year (can't believe I didn't just break it in that time!), and eventually noticed that it's leading edge was wearing away (lots of dusty taxiing and float flying!).

I like the way they look, though, so just make a point to check them regularly. AND...just like full-scale wooden propellers, need their tightness (torque values) checked as the wood in the hub compresses, and looses them up!

Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  jetpack Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:50 am

It would be great if you could include me in on one of those props. Grish Brothers factory was in the next town which I grew up in and now live in once again. One thing that is neat is a few years back I was working in a tool and die shop here and one of their molds turned up for fixing. Another home-town story is the town which is neat is the balsa factory has been here ever since I can remember. Midwest Products is still going, and their building is looking good.

Here's the two Bee's that I got this week. I wanted a couple of early ones and one of these looks almost new on the piston. The other is corroded a little, still seems good though in the crankshaft. Hard to tell what you have until they are cleaned up!

I like both even though one has been coarse wire brushed. Both have the early crankcases, large needle valve head and fully finned thin wall cylinders which I was after. One is the early backplate with the smaller intake details. What I am pleased about the most is none of the fins have been hit or bent on either of them. Very nice.

Treasures are where you find them - Page 2 Dscf2014
jetpack
jetpack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:16 am

Nice score jetpack!

One of the things I did not see mentioned about wooden props is that when you are using an old engine for which parts are scarce or not available (like your Space Bug in the background), a wooden prop will break where a plastic one may bend the crankshaft. I have one Space Bug Junior with a slightly bent c-shaft that I got from THE auction site, years ago.

Another thing I didn't see mentioned is that it is best if you loosen the prop nut on wooden props while they are not being used...prevents compressing them so much.

I am guessing that those wooden props may be the old, much revered, Tornado Plasticotes.

Good luck with all that new old stuff!!!

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:26 am

gcb wrote:Nice score jetpack!

I am guessing that those wooden props may be the old, much revered, Tornado Plasticotes.

George

Geo:

Yes, the 6X3's that I received ARE plasticoats by Tornado. To appease doubters, as soon at I can snag a digital camera, a picture will follow. I am SOOOO old I still use my Pentax ME 35mm because I LIKE it. Imagine that.

SD
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:57 pm

Admin wrote:
Cz10 wrote:
Admin wrote:

I did not make my way up there yet but I was just talking to a friend who just got back from there and said all they have new is Zinger and Top Flite props. He also said "plus the smallest TF prop they still make is 7x4". I'm sure what they have up there are Zinger props since they recently got them in right after they ran out of the old Thimble Drome props. I will really have to look again but I think the smallest wood prop they had was a 6x3.
Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Carl Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:26 pm

Zinger props are made from maple while top flight props are made from beechwood. the zingers would be stronger but the top flights are cheaper moneywise. i have never seen our hobbyshop sell a wood prop smaller then 8x4 so if you are buying props for everyone, count me in. name the price and i'll buy one!
Carl
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  jetpack Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:29 pm

35mm cameras are great. I got to learn to use them through my cousin who had a photography buisness at home. I helped him shoot a few weddings which was fun but what i liked was our gig he landed at the local dirt track with me taking action shots and trophy pictures every weekend through the summer for two years. I stood in the infield and hoped no flailing axles took me out with my back turned. That's no joke it almost happened! The rest was great though...

I have a digital now that I can use as a 35mm but its clumbsy to operate. Manual controls have it over on the digitals for sure. Plus the digitals are pretty lifeless machines. No shutter, just a flash that will pop up...blah.

I wanted to see a pic of the props because I've never had seen a Tornado wood prop before. I don't know their shape or what the logo looks like.

The one below came with my first space hopper motor that was given to me from a friend in a chat room a few years back. It has been varnished by me and the space hopper is fully polished. It had been used in events before I recieved it, it was a brothers motor he was passing on.

Interesting thing about that engine was the reed was hot rodded by a scribed # marking across the copper reed. I suppose to help it resonate better.

Treasures are where you find them - Page 2 Dscf2015

Last edited by jetpack on Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
jetpack
jetpack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:46 pm

jetpack wrote:
I wanted to see a pic of the props because I've never had seen a Tornado wood prop before. I don't know their shape or what the logo looks like.

Treasures are where you find them - Page 2 -411

Here's a 5x4 wood Tornado prop that came off my Anderson Baby Spitfire. It is hard to make out the word "Tornado" on it but if you tilt it in the light the right way, you can see it. I would like to see his props too.

their logo is an arch with the numbers in the middle of the arch.
Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  jetpack Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:52 pm

They look like Zingers.

Thank you Admin

I would guess that would be a speed prop by the size and pitch but the blade width seems wide
jetpack
jetpack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:03 pm

Carl wrote:Zinger props are made from maple while top flight props are made from beechwood. the zingers would be stronger but the top flights are cheaper moneywise. i have never seen our hobbyshop sell a wood prop smaller then 8x4 so if you are buying props for everyone, count me in. name the price and i'll buy one!

Yeah, I read that somewhere before. I'm not sure what they want for them yet. I'm guessing $2-$3 each. I'm sure you can buy them on the internet. We'll see, what they have first before I do anything.
Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:07 pm

jetpack wrote:They look like Zingers.

Thank you Admin

I would guess that would be a speed prop by the size and pitch but the blade width seems wide

Here check these out, you can see the writing on them easily. I guess that is a price that is in the middle! I could not tell that since it is just about gone on mine!

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/280706080332
Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  jetpack Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:21 pm

wow 5 x 8. Has to be the most pitch offered for an .049 I've ever seen.
jetpack
jetpack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:23 pm

jetpack wrote:wow 5 x 8. Has to be the most pitch offered for an .049 I've ever seen.

You may find that the 5x8 was a speed prop, more for a .15 of those days. RPM was much less, so they had to use pitch.

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cz10 Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:56 pm

Yea, I was thinking .09 but .15 may make more sense. But that is the first time I recall seeing THAT much pitch on that small diameter in the flesh, so to speak.
Cz10
Cz10
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:51 am

jacob:

Are most of the later posts here "pirating" my orginal thread? Huh...

SD
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:28 am

SuperDave wrote:jacob:

Are most of the later posts here "pirating" my orginal thread? Huh...

SD

What? We just started talking about props.
Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:10 pm

Yes, Jacob, I know but my orginal thread was about "finding treasures" not just props: i.e.: where one finds them etc. Read the thread's beginning and see

My thread on "Propeller Dynamics" was directed toward the discussion of props.

Respectfully,

SD
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:50 pm

Sorry Dave my bad I thought this was that thread let's move the conversation there I'll be waiting guys. Smile
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:28 pm

My bad. I won't speak of props here anymore.

you said you were handed a bag of tornado 6x3 props
jetpack said he has a stash of Top Flite props that he likes
I brought up the fact that my hobby shop has some Top Flite (turned out to be Zinger) 6x3 props.

and after that it somehow just took off.
Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Treasures are where you find them - Page 2 Empty Cox

Post  dankar04 Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:30 pm

Small Diesel's are fun. I have several and enjoy them all. Big disavantage is the smell and fuel is hard to find. If you have a wife she will have something to say about your smelly planes. Shed/ garage have at it. I stored a few planes in a shed and that will not happen again.
One big plus is no glow plugs !! The small Paw's are good deal in smaller sizes. .034/.049.061. Other sizes are good also.
Dan
dankar04
dankar04
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:11 pm

I do believe diesel engines can also be built smaller an more compact than glow engines.
I don't mind the smell of diesel I actually rather like it.
Diesels are truly amazing and always interest me that they fire with no spark/glow plug.
The variable ignition timing also means you can swing a more useful prop range making them ideal for scale applications.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next