Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

World War II Airbases in England & Elsewhere Cox_ba12

World War II Airbases in England & Elsewhere Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Golden Bee basic running problem
by roddie Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» Simple Gliders
by rdw777 Yesterday at 6:25 pm

» Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL
by rdw777 Yesterday at 6:11 pm

» Weird search for a single comic from an old Mad Magazine
by Kim Yesterday at 1:44 pm

» Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!.
by getback Yesterday at 7:27 am

» Cox .049 Tee Dee engines back in stock (limited availablility)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 1:05 am

» Very off-topic.........Time passes and not always for the best......
by rsv1cox Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:47 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Wed Jul 24, 2024 11:48 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:30 pm

» Throttles for Cox Tee Dee .049 / .020 / .010 engines --- videos
by sosam117 Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:54 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Admin Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:00 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Mon Jul 22, 2024 4:14 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
July-2024
robot797's

"ULTIMITE COX 010: it has a clutch, E starter, throttle, exhaust, aluminum tank, aluminum venturi, gearbox with forward and reverse, and now its on a custom drawn and printed stand"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

World War II Airbases in England & Elsewhere Empty
Live on Patrol

World War II Airbases in England & Elsewhere

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

World War II Airbases in England & Elsewhere Empty World War II Airbases in England & Elsewhere

Post  Kim Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:59 pm

This is a WAY off topic question for my friends in Great Britain.

I've never really wanted to travel outside the boundaries of my beloved country, but if I ever did, I would like to visit England's Cliffs of Dover and the airbases that supported the British and Allied fighters and bombers during WWII.

Do the block houses / command centers still exist, and are they accessible to visitors? I grew up watching TV shows and movies about the war (The 1968 "Battle of Britain" my favorite), and now find myself wanting to peer out from the cliffs, and maybe walk the places where the pilots and crews staged their planes.

Anyway...doubt it will ever happen...just wondering. Thanks, Kim

Last edited by Kim on Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

World War II Airbases in England & Elsewhere Empty Re: World War II Airbases in England & Elsewhere

Post  Kim Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:43 pm

Kim wrote:This is a WAY off topic question for my friends in Great Britain.

I've never really wanted to travel outside the boundaries of my beloved country, but if I ever did, I would like to visit England's Cliffs of Dover and the airbases that supported the British and Allied fighters and bombers during WWII.

Do the block houses / command centers still exist, and are they accessible to visitors? I grew up watching TV shows and movies about the war (The 1968 "Battle of Britain" my favorite), and now find myself wanting to peer out from the cliffs, and maybe walk the places where the pilots and crews staged their planes.

OK...sorry for the bother. Just found a tourism site that lists the locations and conditions of the bases. Now, just got to think about jumping the pond...
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

World War II Airbases in England & Elsewhere Empty Re: World War II Airbases in England & Elsewhere

Post  nitroairplane Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:18 am

Kim wrote:
Kim wrote:This is a WAY off topic question for my friends in Great Britain.

OK...sorry for the bother. Just found a tourism site that lists the locations and conditions of the bases. Now, just got to think about jumping the pond...

Kim yes you should come and see the sights the ww2 airbases are something on cliffs you see pill boxes that used to house AA guns i actually was born not to far from the white cliffs of Dover.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:26 am

Thanks Nitro!

I'll add it to my "Bucket List"...and maybe see if I can recruit some fellow history buffs to consider it also. Years ago, I actually had an opportunity to visit England back when I worked for P&G, but wasn't interested in overseas travel at the time. I now regret passing on that deal !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:33 pm

Kim wrote:Thanks Nitro!

I'll add it to my "Bucket List"...and maybe see if I can recruit some fellow history buffs to consider it also. Years ago, I actually had an opportunity to visit England back when I worked for P&G, but wasn't interested in overseas travel at the time. I now regret passing on that deal !

Ah the pleasure of hindsight.
Just remember what side of the road to drive on Smile sounds silly but ive seen it.
Some thing eles you might like is the RAF museum in London they have some great planes including loads from ww2 an amazing place for a vintage aircraft enthusiast.
Also if you drink remember our beer is stronger than yours.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:52 pm

In England a few years ago, I visited the Yoville Fleet Air Arm Museum and the Duxford Air Museum.
Even took a ride in a DeHavilland Dragon Rapide at Duxford. Memories galore.
Check out their web sites.
http://duxford.iwm.org.uk/
http://www.fleetairarm.com/
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:10 pm

Nice story I think lots of ff events are held at old ww2 airbases.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:11 pm

DeHavilland Dragon Rapide...what an elegant flying machine! I envy you !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:02 am

Kim wrote:DeHavilland Dragon Rapide...what an elegant flying machine! I envy you !

Nice but IMO not as nice as the Gipsy Moth.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:45 pm

nitroairplane wrote:
Kim wrote:DeHavilland Dragon Rapide...what an elegant flying machine! I envy you !

Nice but IMO not as nice as the Gipsy Moth.

I agree, but where do you draw the line?
I'd kill for a ride in a Mosquito.
Come to think of it, I'd kill for a ride in anything. tongue
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:00 pm

Kim wrote:The 1968 "Battle of Britain" my favorite) Kim

Kim:

The Battle of Britain was fought in 1940 rather than 1968. The German Luftwaffe pounded Britain mercilessly from the air but the RAF (Royal Air Force) drove the Germans from the skies and at no small cost to the RAF.

The US had yet to enter the war but provided aid and other support to Britain.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:13 pm

SuperDave wrote:

Kim:

The Battle of Britain was fought in 1940 rather than 1968. The German Luftwaffe pounded Britain mercilessly from the air but the RAF (Royal Air Force) drove the Germans from the skies and at no small cost to the RAF.

Dave I do believe he was referring to the film made in 1968 called "the battle of Britain".
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:48 pm

nitroairplane wrote:
SuperDave wrote:

Kim:

Dave I do believe he was referring to the film made in 1968 called "the battle of Britain".

Yes, I'm aware of the chronology...The movie "The Battle of Britain" was my intended reference. It was one of the first to use highly detailed radio controlled models, intermixed with footage of full-scale aircraft to make a fantastic movie.

One of my all-time heroes in the world of model airplanes, Dave Platt (originally from England), was a major player in producing the radio controlled air battles that, as a kid, simply took my breath away. Even during my younger years, I could easily spot a model dangling from an invisible string (sometimes they WEREN'T small models and the wires WEREN'T invisible....check out the Fokker Triplane crash in "The Blue Max"). The exploding Stukas in TBB were amazing.

I've got a copy on DVD that I run on my shop player, and have even sampled some of the audio for my home answering machine --"MACHINE GUN FIRE----'BEHIND YOU REGGIE!'---MORE MACHINE GUN FIRE-----MERLIN/PROPELLER CHATTER, METALLIC CLATTERING---"'GET OUT! GET OUT!'"------"Hey, I'm BUSY...please leave a message"-----beep!

I posted a photo of Mr. Platt's Douglas Dauntless, a World-Champion R/C Scale model. This was big stuff in 1969 !

Sorry for the ramble...I kinda like this stuff!

World War II Airbases in England & Elsewhere Dauntl10
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:14 am

Kim wrote:
nitroairplane wrote:
SuperDave wrote:

Kim:

Yes, I'm aware of the chronology...The movie "The Battle of Britain" was my intended reference. It was one of the first to use highly detailed radio controlled models, intermixed with footage of full-scale aircraft to make a fantastic movie.

One of my all-time heroes in the world of model airplanes, Dave Platt (originally from England), was a major player in producing the radio controlled air battles that, as a kid, simply took my breath away. Even during my younger years, I could easily spot a model dangling from an invisible string (sometimes they WEREN'T small models and the wires WEREN'T invisible....check out the Fokker Triplane crash in "The Blue Max"). The exploding Stukas in TBB were amazing.

I've got a copy on DVD that I run on my shop player, and have even sampled some of the audio for my home answering machine --"MACHINE GUN FIRE----'BEHIND YOU REGGIE!'---MORE MACHINE GUN FIRE-----MERLIN/PROPELLER CHATTER, METALLIC CLATTERING---"'GET OUT! GET OUT!'"------"Hey, I'm BUSY...please leave a message"-----beep!

I posted a photo of Mr. Platt's Douglas Dauntless, a World-Champion R/C Scale model. This was big stuff in 1969 !

Sorry for the ramble...I kinda like this stuff!

World War II Airbases in England & Elsewhere Dauntl10

Thats a funny answer machine message mine is just "Hello,HELLO man your breaking up text me instead."
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:42 am

Yeah, I finally stopped putting the messages on there because of all my airplane buddies calling up just to hear the greeting, then hanging up. I'd come home to find the counter showing 20 calls without a single message!
Man! The people I choose to keep company with!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:09 am

Kim wrote:Yeah, I finally stopped putting the messages on there because of all my airplane buddies calling up just to hear the greeting, then hanging up. I'd come home to find the counter showing 20 calls without a single message!

I once had a recording of a screaming fly fish reel playing a HUGE fish. My message was: "Sorry, I'm using my other line. Please leave me a message." lol!
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:56 am

Surprised [quote="SuperDave"]
Kim wrote:Yeah, I finally stopped putting the messages on there because of all my airplane buddies calling up just to hear the greeting, then hanging up. I'd come home to find the counter showing 20 calls without a single message!

I once had a recording of a screaming fly fish reel playing a HUGE fish. My message was: "Sorry, I'm using my other line. Please leave me a message." lol! [/quote
That could also apply for control line flyers.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:11 pm

True! Too bad I didn't have a camera running when I put my Polen Special straight into the ground! I could have captured the audio.....BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR------RUP !---------CRUNCH--------OH.........*&%*#@&!------"The party you are calling cannot be reached at this time!"
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  WingingIt74 Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:49 pm

Don't forget the old air bases here in the states too Smile There is a nice little one in Dyersburg TN that has a nice little museum. Visited there a lot when I did the WW2 historian thing.
WingingIt74
WingingIt74
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/wingingit74/

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:02 pm

TailSpinTravis wrote:Don't forget the old air bases here in the states too Smile There is a nice little one in Dyersburg TN that has a nice little museum. Visited there a lot when I did the WW2 historian thing.

Yes and in Germany.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:19 pm

True...and I've visited a lot of them over the years, but I would like to see some of the places where the Brits, Pols, and Americans flew their combat missions. Germany IS another example. I've heard about these places ever since I can remember, but have a greater appreciation now that I'm growing older.

Don't know if it'll happen, but you never know.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:22 pm

Maybe you could fly over in your Piet Smile
Oh wait its a puddle jumper not a pond jumper Smile
I hope you do make it one day you knever know maybe you'll bring some
Decent weather with you Smile
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Clouseau.Insp. Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:53 am

It didn't take long for most of the property to revert back to farmland. Now these areas are covered with houses or industrial parks. I learned to drive on Martlesham Heath RAF base (Where the Proto Spitfire, K5054 was tested) in the mid 60's. I think it is houses now.
Clouseau.Insp.
Clouseau.Insp.

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:29 am

Figured that to be the case. I found a site that lists them, and some apparently are commemorated with plates at various locations. A while back, a friend sent me a photo of a Historical Plate in an industrial park, marking the point where Lindbergh's Spirit of St. Louis lifted from Roosevelt Field.

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:25 am

Yes but a lot of them are still there too and walking on the hill on the south coast near Dover you will see some bunkers and pillboxes.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next