Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Need some info re. Cox ICON Radio Transmitters Cox_ba12

Need some info re. Cox ICON Radio Transmitters Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 6:52 pm

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by Ken Cook Today at 5:46 pm

» need info on this
by lla Today at 5:19 pm

» Post your Older books
by GallopingGhostler Today at 2:49 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by rsv1cox Today at 12:17 pm

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by lla Today at 11:15 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 9:00 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by rdw777 Today at 8:51 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 8:30 am

» "SOLD OUT" Cox .020 silencers -- currently
by GallopingGhostler Today at 5:12 am

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by Admin Today at 2:38 am

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Yesterday at 8:40 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Need some info re. Cox ICON Radio Transmitters Empty
Live on Patrol

Need some info re. Cox ICON Radio Transmitters

Go down

Need some info re. Cox ICON Radio Transmitters Empty Need some info re. Cox ICON Radio Transmitters

Post  Cox International Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:43 pm

A couple of years ago we ended up with a few 100 of these transmitters:

http://coxengines.ca/product.php?productid=358&cat=11&page=1

Inside is a battery case for 8x AA batteries and outside a jack for charging batteries.

What voltage do these TX operate on? 8x 1.5 = 12 volts but my Futaba and other brand TX all have 9.6 v. batteries. Or, does one get 1.2v batteries? If so which, where, how?

Rechargeable batteries? Any other solutions? Use a charger from another radio brand?

Unfortunately, no documentation came with the TX so, if anyone has a manual, a scanned copy would be greatly appreciated.

Bernie
www.coxinternational.ca

Cox International
Cox International
Top Poster
Top Poster

Official Cox Dealer

http://www.coxengines.com

Back to top Go down

Need some info re. Cox ICON Radio Transmitters Empty Re: Need some info re. Cox ICON Radio Transmitters

Post  nitroairplane Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:18 pm

Cox International wrote:A couple of years ago we ended up with a few 100 of these transmitters:

http://coxengines.ca/product.php?productid=358&cat=11&page=1

Inside is a battery case for 8x AA batteries and outside a jack for charging batteries.

What voltage do these TX operate on? 8x 1.5 = 12 volts but my Futaba and other brand TX all have 9.6 v. batteries. Or, does one get 1.2v batteries? If so which, where, how?

Rechargeable batteries? Any other solutions? Use a charger from another radio brand?

Unfortunately, no documentation came with the TX so, if anyone has a manual, a scanned copy would be greatly appreciated.

Bernie
www.coxinternational.ca

I dont know if this is what you mean but 8*1.5 = 12 but that is with alkaline non rechargeable cells.
BUt individual nimh cells rechargeable cels are 1.2 volts so 1.2*8=9.6

so when rechargeable ones are used you get 9.6v but when non rechargeable cells are used you get 12v
but more current and power with the rechargeable cells.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Need some info re. Cox ICON Radio Transmitters Empty Re: Need some info re. Cox ICON Radio Transmitters

Post  PV Pilot Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:42 pm

It must be rated for 12 volts. They usually test them way above that, just to see where they "cook off" at. I talked to a Futaba rep at one of the hobby shows and he said they run most of there transmitters up to 17 volts for redline testing.

I run a rechargable Lipo in my Futaba 7c and it's a 11.1 volt, 1c discharge, 2100mah pack. It reads about 11.8 volts when fully charged and just turned on.

I would imagine Cox/Sanwa? would test them to at least 12-13 volts, just to be somewhat sure that the average consumer would follow the guidelines stated in the manual, (of which you don't have).

Once you click the radio on with disposable nicads, those volts stay steady for a bit and then drop pretty fast once they do.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:46 pm

[quote="PV Pilot"
Once you click the radio on with disposable nicads, those volts stay steady for a bit and then drop pretty fast once they do.[/quote]

yes that is due to a high voltage cut off as upose to some cells that just wind down others drop unexpectedly.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  tubebass Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:35 pm

Hi Bernie, I bought one of the Icon tx from you and it seems to run fine on ni-cd rechargables. I use a Futaba charger with it.
tubebass
tubebass
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cox International Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:21 pm

Thanks everyone.

That is where I made the mistake. Rechargeable batteries are 1.2 and not 1.5 volts, so we are back to the 9.6v charger. The Futaba one fits the jack nicely, as will undoubtedly Hitec and Airtronics.

A customer claims his charger has as TX output of 9.6v and 50 mAh. That does not seem right as it would take 40 hrs to charge the battery back.

What is he (or I) missing here?

Bernie
Cox International
Cox International
Top Poster
Top Poster

Official Cox Dealer

http://www.coxengines.com

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:34 pm

Time to charge is somewhat dependent on the total milliamps of his pack. Usually tx wall chargers are about 125-250mah slow charge rate (overnight).
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:10 pm

PV Pilot wrote:Time to charge is somewhat dependent on the total milliamps of his pack.

True. Most wall warts that ship with transmitters have a sufficiently low charge rate to reduce the chance of toasting the battery. For Nicds, a typical slow charge rate is C/10, or the capacity of the pack (C) divided by 10. If the pack has a capacity of 500 mAh, slow rate is 500/10 or 50 ma. But, charging is not 100% efficient --- I generally figure a charge efficiency of around 70%. If the pack were zeroed out, 500 mAh charged at 50 ma would take 10 hours, but at 70%, the time goes up to a little over 14 hours.

However, packs are seldom zeroed (if they were, they likely would be ruined from cell reversal), so the charge time does effectively come down. Like PV Pilot posted, most warts are rated higher than 50 ma. I just looked a one of my Spektrum warts and it was rated at 110 ma. The 50 ma sounds more like the RX side.

Even if his pack were rated at a 1000 mAh, it should charge in 20 or so hours if fully discharged, but not zeroed.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down