Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Dawson - Combat flying Cox_ba12

Dawson - Combat flying Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Anzac Day!
by Boats13 Today at 11:03 pm

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by sosam117 Today at 10:41 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 10:20 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Dawson - Combat flying Empty
Live on Patrol

Combat flying

Go down

Dawson - Combat flying Empty Combat flying

Post  fredvon4 Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:27 pm

Last year or was it the year before....I decided to retire for second time. Golfing was getting too easy and youngest grandson was showing and interest in outdoor activities. Long story short, I decided to re-start my modeling hobby, initially focused on RC but Control Line in back of head.

In the 60s and early 70s I was a fair combat competitor. nothing great, occasionally lasted long enough to stand the podium for a trophy, gift certificate at a Hobby shop, or won a new engine. After a few Ringmaster and Voodoo, or Satan's I found the Dick Mathis Mongoose that I flew exclusively with Fox or Enya .35s on a tank.

Last year (or was it 2011) as I lurked here on CEF I scanned many other web sites and found:
http://flyinglines.org/BG.2012.html

As Ron and Rusty posted their exploits I dug in hard accumulating kits, engines, and all sorts of kit to re-teach myself C/L flying. Then Paul Gibeault and Ken Cook start adding to the forum. Grinning I absorbed every hint and opinion.

Ken noted that BlackHawk re-kitted the Mongoose so off I went to find it....Bernie facilitated the purchase and drop ship....too cool all the help I get here at CEF...through this site I learned of Texas Timers, Kitting it together, Galbreath and Nelson, Select Hobbies and half another great places to gather all the necessary bits n kits.

Then Ken introduced me to Jeff Dawson (please view the Bladder Grabber info linked above)

Sad that my CEF buddy Ron Cribbs is now 350+ miles north and I never got to Face to face meet him. If he was still in San Antonio area he probably would be meeting Jeff with me this Sunday.

Busy as he is, Jeff spent two hours on the phone with me last night and we clicked (his current level of building and flying had him explaining things to me that my responses suggested I knew a little bit about it) In other words, we enjoyed a conversation where we were both on the same page.

Jeff invited me to his home to see his cut n build operation, and if weather cooperates we may go to a near by site and fly a few of his creations.

I have not yet flown any of my models...still have to build the stooge, still have to get good fuel...but mostly waiting for good weather as I DO NOT DO COLD...tis why I retired to Texas

So here in a few weeks, when we are back to mostly 70 degree days, I will once again enter the circle to command a couple of proper craft into a few spectacular impacts with my colichi front yard. Eventually I will git my stuff together and launch a Satan, or FliteStreak with full tank, competent tight lines, loops, and eights, and wing-overs with a soft landing with a BSEG (big sh-- eating grin)

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Dawson - Combat flying Empty Re: Combat flying

Post  RknRusty Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:27 pm

Great writeup, Fred. I'm looking forward to reading stories of your flying adventures when the weather lets up. Hopefully it will inspire me too, as my own story telling has fallen off lately.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:19 pm

Thanks Fred, I actually met Jeff one time when I was there. He was flying at a field close to where I lived. I stopped by one morning when they were flying and just walked up and met him. I never did go fly though as they were so good and I had never even held a handle at the time. Kinda stupid really as I missed out on a golden oppertunity. In my defense I only ran into them 2 months before I had to move.

They were flying at a field on FM 2252 at a little ultralight airport. I am ready to hear of your exploits and I hope you have fun.

I would also be interested to hear about your stooge. I need to build a combat style one for my l'il Satan.

Ron

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:28 pm

Too lazy to invent anything new Ron... The only reason Rusty's stooge is not already in my front yard is I keep forgetting to buy a bath mat / rug at Wally world

I do plan to ask Jeff for a few Husks... the left over outer shells from foam wing cutting
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:25 pm

fredvon4 wrote:... The only reason Rusty's stooge is not already in my front yard is I keep forgetting to buy a bath mat / rug at Wally world
Be sure and get a fairly stiff mat. I replaced mine when the rubber liner started to rot and leave bits on the wing, and the new one is a bit too floppy and doesn't hold the plane as firmly(rubber on the inside). A nylon cord and a metal shish kabob skewer makes a good guy-line to stake it down so you don't pull it over. If you have a Big Lots in town, they have good ones for $5 bucks.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:46 pm

Floppy...heh I am using an old bath towel. Works fine.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:27 pm

I like Rusty's version, but to be honest I don't want to have a "Bean" moment and tear a bellcrank out. I have done none of mine with shear webs. I was thinking of a spring loaded rake style release mechanism.

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:49 pm

It doesn't have to be hard to pull out. The idea is to hold it in a way that it doesn't try to turn while you aren't holding it. The firmer mat lets you use the bungee and the brick to block the trail edge in place, and to keep the inboard wing from sagging. It still slips out with only a light tug, especially after some oil gets on the rubber liner.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:58 pm

Ok, fine...... I'll try it. lol!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:30 pm

cribbs74 wrote:Ok, fine...... I'll try it. lol!
I'm not insisting you do, just sayin...
If you rip your Bean apart, send it to me, I'll fix it up for you. And I promise the wing won't fly off in mid loop. tongue

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:28 pm

OK, I'll admit it, I am using 2 clamps. On at the far corner of the folded edge, and one back by the elevator. Bungee probably won't work on towel.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:52 am

My flying in the 60s usually had more than two or three of us at the school yard. At home my brothers annoyed me so I usually flew by myself in the back yard

I rigged a Screwdriver in the ground with a loop of wire. Only ROG planes with a hole in the aft fuse where a hand grenade pin (Army dad had dozens of them in the work shop). String from the pin to pull when I got out to the handle...worked well for the small stuff. Occasionally a .35 powered plane would pull / vibrate the pin loose just as I reached for the handle making for a few spectacular chases of a handle across the yard
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Dawson - Combat flying Empty A day with Jeff Dawson...thank you Ken Cook

Post  fredvon4 Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:32 am

Last Sunday Jeff Dawson a winning C/L combat flier and airplane maker invited me to his home some 119 miles away.

So away in my Blue Smart car I go for the trip down Texas Hwy 281 to San Antonio to arrive around 10:45. Jeffs directions were good but I let Bit..ing Betty (what I call the female in my smart phone) direct me once I was near.

As I arrived on the street looking at the house numbers there is a man in his front yard fussing with a motor on a control line plane...Ah Ha, I bet that is Jeff! I zoomed into his driveway and got out and declared..I bet you are Jeff Dawson, I am Fred....We shook hands and chatted a bit about finding the place etc.. Then he invited me in to see his operation and meet Carol his lady. Very nice lady too. Too bad she is a Tom Brady and New England fan as it was not a good day for them and Jeff and I gave her a lot of jovial grief as the game ground on towards their loss.

OK Ok back on subject: Combat airplanes and engines. I was soon impressed and it occurred to me that Jeff was a serious force in today's combat flying circles. No disrespect to Wooten or Mathis and a bunch of other pioneers and competitors...a way of saying Jeff Dawson is exceptionally good at flying C/L and his aircraft are sought after as solid preforming, durable, and relatively inexpensive.

Small Band saw, Drill press, table saw, router table, 2' x 4' work table are in his duplex apartment's single car garage. Crammed in with 15 hanging airplanes, huge Stacks of foam wing cores already cut, big shipping boxes, big blocks of virgin foam, tubes of plans, assortments of balsa, bass, and plywood and a washer and drier. What I am describing is a work-space that is very small and not much room to maneuver.

Sorry no photos were taken at his request. Some of his jigs, techniques, and shortcuts are his idea and he has copy cats and competitors.

We spent the day making three kits for me to complete...Usually Jeff takes orders and generally sell completed aircraft for about $50 each. He is in the middle of cutting and building 60 airplanes for customers as well as full time day job as well as needing to build his fleet of airplanes for this years competitions.

We talked engines and propellers and he related the problems he, Ken and others are having getting the "must have" propellers from Russian or Ukrainian sources (he promised me a hand full once they get it sorted out...grin) I had never touched a Fora, Profi, Nelson, or Cylon so he showed me his stash of go fast high rpm fuel eaters. He does not think of himself as a teacher but all day long he hardly ever stopped telling me things.

We are close to same age and basic thoughts about people and things and similar youthful experiences like hot rods and fast bikes. All day long was a constant conversation. All the while he set up to "cut" my kits. Funny how in the middle of a task something we talked about reminded him of something and he would disappear into the house to have Carol help him find something to show me, bell crank, engine, chicken hopper fuel tank...whatever. All the while, he kept insisting that "this" normally did not take so long. In fact our conversations sidetracked his process enough that a few wing cores were NOT PERFECT so he insisted on lining out new blocks and doing it over; even after I tried to insisted that I was capable of sanding the small imperfection away.

At the end of the day (around 7:30PM with a two hour drive home) we finally loaded my dinky car with six airplanes and a coffee can of parts n stuff.

The engines are mine. IN the background is a incomplete manufactured slo combat plane with all the basic parts that I can complete with a few odd bits needed like spars and motor mounts
Foreground is two SonicChicken kits with a lil buzzard for me to use as example of tail feather construction and on the right is a LtHawk kit with a early version for me to see construction detail
Dawson - Combat flying Got_fr10

Closer view of slo combat kit
Dawson - Combat flying Sly_si10

Closer view of SonicChickens
Dawson - Combat flying Sonicc10

Closer view of LtHawk
Dawson - Combat flying Lthawk10

All day long Jeff would find something at tell me to put it in my pocket. Like a few Top Flite propellers or bell cranks and such

Yesterday, wife and I started gutting the shop so the remodel can start. In a few weeks I can get after the proper building and eventual flying for these extraordinary aircraft

A giant thank you to Ken Cook for facilitating me getting into Jeff Dawson's world
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:51 am

Fascinating adventure, Fred, sounds like a fun day. I've thought of contacting Jeff to buy a Sonic Chicken. If I recall correctly you have to buy several at a time. I wouldn't put a Fora on it, as I'm sure it would badly outrun my reflexes, but I bet I could have plenty of fun goofing around with my regular engines. I see you have a Norvel and a couple of Tee Dees in the mix with yours.

When you get them built and tell us how they fly, I'll decide whether I want to go ahead and place an order.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Dawson - Combat flying Empty Dawson, Cook, and the quest for good fun

Post  fredvon4 Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:24 pm

Rusty...PM sent

For general interest to all on this forum (BTW one of the best sources of ideas and knowledge about Cox and most things related)

I got to see the Russian "Ten at a time minimum order" F2D and other aircraft up close compared to Jeff Dawson's airplanes. Jeff is first to admit very few of his aircraft are drawing board originals but rather trial and error and collaborative designs that he a couple of other combat fliers came up with as "best of this and best of that" with a focus on being, lite, fast, and durable

If you ever though of having the BEST of something I highly recommend reviewing the flying line web site and noting that MOST competitors are flying Jeff's birds in combat....

From what I observed, Jeff builds a turn key* (you must still test fly and trim) aircraft that probably should sell in the $120 range (based on what I know of most ARfs built in China)

Alas we are all a tight wad bunch and Jeff is keenly aware of this....he has priced himself ( at $50 each) into too much work

Jeff is fairly strict about who he reveals his secrets to and takes orders from....he is also quite aware that several folks copy these aircraft

That all said...Jeff LOVES the world of combat...he desires MORE of us to get off our ass and fly combat... and he sincerely will help any potential combat competitor if they really want to get into it...hint hint wink wink

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:16 am

Look like you had a good experience and are that much closer to your goal! Your adventures solidify a post I just made about getting out and meeting folks.

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down