Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Four .049 engine powered tether racer? Cox_ba12

Four .049 engine powered tether racer? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by Kim Today at 3:23 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by balogh Today at 12:55 am

» Original Box for P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer Value
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 11:09 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Yesterday at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:08 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Yesterday at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Yesterday at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:46 pm

» Re-manufactured Enya .06-II for Boats13
by Boats13 Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:32 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Four .049 engine powered tether racer? Empty
Live on Patrol

Four .049 engine powered tether racer?

Go down

Four .049 engine powered tether racer? Empty Four .049 engine powered tether racer?

Post  unclemoon Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:33 pm

Four .049 engine powered tether racer? Cox_ga10Four .049 engine powered tether racer? Cox_ga10https://i.servimg.com/u/f76/18/10/49/92/cox_ga10.jpgFour .049 engine powered tether racer? Cox_ga11Four .049 engine powered tether racer? Cox_ga11https://i.servimg.com/u/f76/18/10/49/92/cox_ga11.jpgFour .049 engine powered tether racer? Cox_ga12Four .049 engine powered tether racer? Cox_ga12https://i.servimg.com/u/f76/18/10/49/92/cox_ga12.jpg
What do you guys think about a four engine powered tether racer? heres my card board pre-prototype just to see whats needed to make a prototype. I thought one big tank for all four engines to give me more time to get all them started? how about two small AA battery's to be hook up all the time for the glow heads? I want to use four sure starts but I need one more sure start back plate. maybe some better tether racer wheels and tires, since these are cox dunebuggy wheels and tires and might have too much side wall play? or I could run it on grass/dirt? I,ll make the chassis out of aluminum or a good plastic? it has about a 6.25" wheelbase right now because I made it the same as the old cox thimble drome special in the picture. well open for suggestions and comets?
Thanks, Unclemoon
unclemoon
unclemoon
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Four .049 engine powered tether racer? Empty Re: Four .049 engine powered tether racer?

Post  WingingIt74 Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:56 pm

How about a streamliner with staggered wheel centerlines? Not only would a smaller surface area of the body, but it would also showcase that it has 4 engines Smile

Kinda like this:

Four .049 engine powered tether racer? Colored-wheels

Last edited by WingingIt74 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
WingingIt74
WingingIt74
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/wingingit74/

Back to top Go down

Four .049 engine powered tether racer? Empty Re: Four .049 engine powered tether racer?

Post  WingingIt74 Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:00 pm

The only problem I see is that if one engine is running slow, it will tend to turn that direction, unless you can couple them together somehow.
WingingIt74
WingingIt74
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  WingingIt74 Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:11 pm

For the life of me I can't find a good example... I've seen many pinewood derby cars done like that.

Four .049 engine powered tether racer? Cust-6
WingingIt74
WingingIt74
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  unclemoon Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:43 pm

Thanks Travis, staggered is a good idea. and your right about if one engine runs slower or worse yet stop. it might not work with out a free wheel clutch of some sort on each wheel? oh well back to the think tank.
unclemoon
unclemoon
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  kevbo Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:13 pm

Get four of those toothed belts like they use in printers and such, four pulleys that will fit the engines, and two small ones that will fit a lay shaft.  

Put the lay shaft in the middle of the car, with some idlers so that a belt between the two wheels on one side will wrap.  The belt on each side keeps those two engines at the same speed, and the lay shaft syncs the two sides.

Too complicated? I agree.

How's about a four engined prop-rod.  Two tractors and two pushers maybe?   Maybe four tractors all in tandem with alternating right and left hand props so the swirl in the propwash mostly cancles.
kevbo
kevbo
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  FlyingCox Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:35 am

This reminds me of Tractor pulls! This could be interesting if you find a way to work out the kinks. This may be over complicated as well but I wonder if you engage all the engines to a central grear (or pully if you want to use belts). Then you gear or belt that to an rc car differential & axil ? Sounds more complacated than it would be and the parts would be available within the hobby realm easily.
FlyingCox
FlyingCox
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:05 pm

Having independent clutches for each engine/drive-wheel would be key.. but that would also require recoil-starters on each engine. Although the reed-valve engine will run in either direction.. the recoil-starters may be an issue. I don't know if they're reversible. If one of the engines shut's down inadvertently; you'd want that drive to free-wheel, so as not to cause drag on the other drives. It would certainly be an undertaking.. Shocked
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  kathyhellen Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:00 pm

I have no idea of it.

Last edited by kathyhellen on Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
kathyhellen
kathyhellen

Back to top Go down

Four .049 engine powered tether racer? Empty Remember the guy spinning tops on Ed Sullivan?

Post  706jim Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:09 am

Good luck getting them all started at the same time.

In the same direction!
706jim
706jim
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  coxaddict Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:07 am

Now you've got the wheels turning in my brain This Site Rocks! Being that it would be direct drive starting should not be a problem. Use onboard batteries to light the glow plugs, test run each engine then kill it. Maybe let the outer engines run a little slower than the inboard engines. When ready give the car a push start to get all the engines running in the right direction and watch out!!! lol! lol! lol! You could play with tire diameters which would help to keep the tether line tight.

Last edited by coxaddict on Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:29 am; edited 1 time in total
coxaddict
coxaddict
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  coxaddict Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:16 am

Another design that would work would be a streamliner configuration.  Each tire driven would be on a common centerline, just like an inline skate. The tether line would keep the car upright.  You could use as many engines as you want!! Try using radio control tires that balloon at high revs, if one engine slows or stops running the tire would balloon less and not touch the running surface. Just some crazy thinking I Love This Forum!

Last edited by coxaddict on Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:16 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added ideas)
coxaddict
coxaddict
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Davenz13 Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:28 am

Hi unclemoon
I looked at direct drive for a tether car I’m building (slowly, very slowly) but put it the too hard basket and took the easy way out by putting the engines on outriggers with props . I like where your mind is going with this and look forward to its development and the overcoming of problems that arise .
One way of possibly overcoming the starting issue is how about a belt sander or similar concept device. If the wheelbase is narrow enough to get all four wheels on the belt then you should be able to start all four engines in the right rotation at the same time. Not too coarse a grit and a good firm contact before hitting the button should do the trick. Too light a contact could result in some very nasty flats on the tyres.

If you go with the streamliner configuration it should work just as well. With the wheels in a line and the engines staggered, two facing left, two facing right would keep the balance even and the engines gyroscopically neutral. Can anything be gyroscopically neutral, is that even a proper word. Blowed if I know but it sure sounds technical. Might try to work that into the conversation at lunch tomorrow.
Anyway, good luck with the project
Davenz13
Davenz13
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:40 am

The original post is over three years old so it looks as if the concept wasn't followed up.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Davenz13 Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:34 am

Well so it is. I never noticed that. Oh well maybe someone will pick up the ball and run with it.........

You know it wouldn't be that hard.
Piece of U channel, say 1.5mm thick, wide enough so that with two motors mounted either side facing inwards the wheels were dead inline of the channel. Cut slots in the bottom of the channel for the wheels to poke through. Floor of the channel ideal for mounting fuel tank, sides of the channel for mounting streamlined shell, plenty of places to fix a tether arm to.
I reckon it would work Rod. Stick four cox conquests in it. That'd make it haul butt Thumbs Up
Davenz13
Davenz13
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down