Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

spraying fuel vent hose ? Cox_ba12

spraying fuel vent hose ? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 10:39 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by roddie Today at 10:11 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 8:14 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by sosam117 Today at 8:07 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 3:16 am

» Happy Anzac Day!
by Boats13 Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Yesterday at 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

spraying fuel vent hose ? Empty
Live on Patrol

spraying fuel vent hose ?

Go down

spraying fuel vent hose ? Empty spraying fuel vent hose ?

Post  getback Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:27 am

just got to break in a os 4ofp yesterday and never had had one to spray fuel from the filler tube like this after dissconnecting both filler and pressure hose engine ran better no fuel leakage ? yes i did try switching the hoses no differance. should i just plug it off or does any one know what the problem would be. thank s ahead!!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

spraying fuel vent hose ? Empty Re: spraying fuel vent hose ?

Post  Ken Cook Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:50 am

My first question would be is this engine in a plane or on a test stand?. Not that it would be directly related but your post is quite vague in terms of defining the problem. Is this in a R/C configuration or control line? Are you using a hard metal tank or a plastic R/C tank? I ask this due to seeing plastic tanks filled through the incorrect vent in a control line configuration and they swell up and then fuel spurts out from the other pipes as the pressure is relieved. The only other reasoning for fuel to be spurting out of the vents is in the event your running muffler pressure and your other pipes aren't capped off properly. This shouldn't be related to the engine. Are you using a muffler with muffler pressure? Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:58 am

An "old timey" solution would be to place a small piece of fuel tubing cut at a 45 degree angle facing forward on the offending vent. Air pressure from the prop wash should keep the vent from spraying.

SD
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:31 am

It's def connected with tubes the wrong way round.
I bet your tank is upside down and your 'filler' is really
Your fuel line with the clunk on the other end.
Very Happy
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

spraying fuel vent hose ? Empty reply to fuel spurting out

Post  getback Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:24 pm

Ken Cook wrote: My first question would be is this engine in a plane or on a test stand?. Not that it would be directly related but your post is quite vague in terms of defining the problem. Is this in a R/C configuration or control line? Are you using a hard metal tank or a plastic R/C tank? I ask this due to seeing plastic tanks filled through the incorrect vent in a control line configuration and they swell up and then fuel spurts out from the other pipes as the pressure is relieved. The only other reasoning for fuel to be spurting out of the vents is in the event your running muffler pressure and your other pipes aren't capped off properly. This shouldn't be related to the engine. Are you using a muffler with muffler pressure? Ken
******** yes in a r/c plane ,plastic tank capped off i don't understand i have never capped off any line that i remember.. i will look at some other planes i have and see i think there still intact sorry for the short was a long day hauling fire wood yesterday
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:02 pm

There are a number of different fuel system schemes. Some use pressure, some do not. Some require caps on certain tubes.

Do you know how your fuel tank is set up? Can you remove your fuel tank from the airplane to inspect (without heroic efforts) it or is it sealed into the airframe?

Assuming a clunk type fuel system

If you have a 3 line system you can use some fuel and a fuel ball or syringe to work out the scheme. With the aircraft upright partially fuel the tank. Close off one line, apply pressure to another and see if fuel exits the 3rd, or not, note your results. Switch the lines and record results.

Then invert the aircraft and repeat.

If the tank is a clunk tank the clunk will keep fuel coming out of the same line each time.

If it is a uniflow clunk tank then there will be 2 lines that fuel comes out of in both positions. One is the pressure line, the other the feed line (it shouldn't matter which). The 3rd line gets capped as it should be a solid vent to the top of the tank while upright. You can choose different operation schemes in this configuration.

If it is a 3 line tank with a fill, vent, and clunk, then the clunk line is the fuel feed, and should pickup upright or inverted. The other two lines can be to different locations, but the one that seems to only draw from the very top of the tank is the vent, which is where pressure should be hooked up to, the other line is to fill and if running pressure should be closed off.

If it is a 2 line tank then the vent is the top of the tank, you fill through the fuel feed by disconnecting the engine. There is no 3rd line. The vent line can be left open or hooked to pressure.

Using pressure will change your needle settings.

If running pressure on a tank with the 3rd line open pressure won't work properly, and it will likely spray fuel.

Phil

pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down