Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Ian's Cox Flight Contest progress - Page 3 Cox_ba12

Ian's Cox Flight Contest progress - Page 3 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by OVERLORD Today at 10:11 am

» Tired of it all…
by Ken Cook Today at 8:04 am

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Today at 7:41 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:46 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Ian's Cox Flight Contest progress - Page 3 Empty
Live on Patrol

Ian's Cox Flight Contest progress

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Ian's Cox Flight Contest progress - Page 3 Empty Re: Ian's Cox Flight Contest progress

Post  ian1954 Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:41 pm

duke.johnson wrote:Like I said, I'm good with the RTP idea.  I didn't mean to start something.  I like the idea and now have a reason to try RTP.  I never win contests, so I'm hear for the fun and to be apart of something cool.

I don't think you have started anything but I am conscious of the fact that if someone streaks into the lead at the beginning of a contest, other contestants might give in or lose interest particularly if they feel disadvantaged. I will not let that happen.

I have also checked my "lecky" RTP and the C of G is about 1/16" ahead of the attachment point. That flies flat and true but not for much longer! The scalpel is out ready to prepare it for a Cox engine!
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Ian's Cox Flight Contest progress - Page 3 Empty Re: Ian's Cox Flight Contest progress

Post  ian1954 Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:45 pm

No flying this weekend - Garden maintenance took priority. The borders around the "lawn" / flying area collapsed.

I had 14 railway sleepers delivered, each 2.4 metres long and very heavy. Only just inside my lifting limit - although I ache after carrying them from the road in front of the house, down the side and to the bottom of the garden!

Ian's Cox Flight Contest progress - Page 3 Garden10

Now to tidy up the grass! I hate gardening - I could quite easily compromise and settle for green concrete!
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:44 pm

I know how you feel about gardening, I don't like it much either. Luckily it's my wife's hobby, as she's got agricultural blood... eeewww, that sounds kind of weird. But it's a a nice little area you have, very pleasing to the senses. Especially with a 1/2A engine screaming around in it.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:10 am

The NightHawk is one tough little plane! It is getting heavier - the fin has been glued back on many times (my landings are somersaults and it uses the fin as an anchor), I have dings in it all over the place, the bellcrank has torn a chunk out of the side (I have reverted to two lines now!) and butyrate dope is not fuel proof! There were three coats in the area behind the engine!

Apart from that it is still a little beauty!

The engine needs a service - not developing full power now so that will be next on my list!

I also had a bit of a disaster trying to hover it with an onboard camera!

Ian's Cox Flight Contest progress - Page 3 Nighth10

Mind you, the NightHawk isn't the only thing getting damaged!

Ian's Cox Flight Contest progress - Page 3 Skyhaw11
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:45 pm

Now for my little catastrophe.

I fitted the camera that Kim recommended - it is all his fault! - again, I considered the position, effect on C of G very carefully giving it a great deal of thought as to how I would construct a mounting.

2 seconds later, I came up with this

Ian's Cox Flight Contest progress - Page 3 Nighth11

Magnificent workmanship methinks!

Then ............................the plane was all over the place but OK until I slowed it down to attempt a hover! Another somersault!.

Don't watch this if you are prone to dizzyness!

ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:37 pm

That's hilarious! Good stuff Ian now standby while I go throw up lol! 

Seriously though that was pretty cool. Thanks for the video.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:31 pm

Yeah, saw Ian zoom by every 2 seconds. Pretty cool.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:24 pm

Nice job Ian. Every thing looks like it going very well, except the landing.Very Happy 
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  JanPar Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:41 pm

You must have very mice neighbours.
JanPar
JanPar
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:06 pm

JanPar wrote:You must have very mice neighbours.
Mice tend to not argue about noise or much of anything else. They are also usually quiet. Some days I wish some of my neighbors were mice too.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:15 pm

Great vid Ian.
On board, RTP video. That's got to be a first.
In our little corner of the world, this is historic.
Beer Cheers 
Thanks, I'm eying my side yard differently now.
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:05 am

My progress has now come to a halt.

I have had several issues and not really posted anything about one of them as I couldn't resolve it. I mentioned previously that the engine was a little down on power and I would take it out and strip it down.

I removed it, bench mounted it, ran it and it was perfect - despite around 4 hours on the clock! I checked the tank and fuel line - nothing to be found. Remounted the engine and then got intermittent performance. Head scratcher!

I ignored this and continued. The NightHawk is ONE VERY TOUGH LITTLE PLANE! It has survived many a crash landing, collision with me, clipping bushes and a vertical "tail drop" from four feet. I was trying to hover it and the engine cut!

However, the little aeroplane has now increased in weight by an ounce. Nothing broken but I have lost count of the amount of times I have glued the fin back on and the tailplane has been reattached three times. That with the weight added to the front to balance out (and a wing reattachment) has brought the weight up.

I also have had problems with take offs. I only managed three or four from the ground - I have had numerous attempts resulting in no flight log as it never left the gound before tipping over!

Landings!!!!!!!! Mostly tip overs but some somersaults and one triple somersault. Should enter this for the Olympics!

My last flight was a disaster - totally out of control but I discovered what had been causing my engine issues!

Any way, time to retire the NightHawk! I will let it rest before giving it a Viking funeral!

As you will be aware - my flight area is limited but I spent a few hours yesterday top dressing the "lawn", levelling it and following this by reseeding.

Ian's Cox Flight Contest progress - Page 3 Lawnto10

You can see that a lot of the dips, now dressed with a sand/soil/peat mixture are in the flight circle. I wonder if my landings did that!

Back to my engine issues - they weren't anything to do with the engine! It was my radio gear!

I have been using a Spektrum AR400 receiver and a couple of tiny analogue servos but I made a big mistake in the setup which only came to light following my hammering the servos trying to do wing overs (best result 70 degrees and a near miss with the ground!). Also, I made things worse hovering it while flapping the tailplane. (Looked good though but alas no video!).

Can you spot my mistake? Clue - this photo has replacement digital servos. Also, it shows how small the equiment is - you can install it almost anywhere!

Ian's Cox Flight Contest progress - Page 3 Coxfli10

I will let you peruse the photo a while befor answering this for you!

I will digress now.

I had planned to replace the NightHawk with a Sig Hummer. I realised I could program "flaperons" so slow it down (perfect my take offs and landings?) and have the elevator and aerolons linked. However, I posted this in the Models section and Ron hinted that it would be too big.

Too big? What is he talking about? Too big??? A liitle large! It is a 1/2 A aeroplane! Anyway, I ignored this until I opened the box to plan building it.

A little large! It is bloody enormous!

So I have opted for the Keil Kraft Radian and am back to converting control line to radio control and not the other way round.

Ian's Cox Flight Contest progress - Page 3 Plans10

The Hummer is twice the size of the Radian!

Back to the engine issue.

Did you guess? Top marks if you did!

I selected the battery based on weight and size. I checked the receiver could handle this and that told me 3.5 to 9.6 volts. The battery indicates 7.4v. So I thought - no problem. I realised during the course of charging the battery that, fully charged, it hit 8.4v - still no problem, methinks!

But oh dear! My last flight was on a fuly charged battery and ..............the servos. They are limited to 6.0 volts and they haven't been taking well to my increased stick waggling. On the last flight they did their own thing - the throttle servo had obviously been backing off for some time.

Hey ho! You live and learn. I now have a stepper down to reduce the voltage and will be using digital servos.

The build has started!
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:55 pm

Although I said that the build had started - it didn't get very far.

The KK Radian beam mounts were designed to accommodate British diesels. These are wider than the Medallion (broader in the beam) and so I had to do a bit of fiddling to make the necessary adjustments while keeping the engine in line.

The main event though was because I had narrowed the gap between the engine bearers - the standard tank wouldn't fit. The tank has also got to be built into the fuselage between the bearers - it cannot be dropped in.

Ian's Cox Flight Contest progress - Page 3 Sig_hu25

The build started for real today.

Ian's Cox Flight Contest progress - Page 3 Radian17
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:17 pm

After stalling with the tank, I hit another stalling point. With the fuselage carcass completed - I realised there wasn't going to be much room for the radio equipment. Three servos, receiver, e.t.c.....

So after much careful thought (at least three seconds) - I decided that I would need to butcher the wing during construction.

Ian's Cox Flight Contest progress - Page 3 Radian18

Ian's Cox Flight Contest progress - Page 3 Radian19

Then I started to cover it. I decided to use ""Lightex" and bought one of those little irons with a stick for a handle. I spent and hour wondering why I couldn't get the stuff to stick, messed around with the temperature, collected a few burns and then decided to read the destructions.

Oh I see, you have to remove the backing! The backing on this stuff is clear - no wonder I couldn't see it!

Anyway, after several hours of fiddling, stretching, attempts at wrinkle removal ............ it started to come together.

Ian's Cox Flight Contest progress - Page 3 Radian20

Ian's Cox Flight Contest progress - Page 3 Radian21

Ian's Cox Flight Contest progress - Page 3 Radian22

Ian's Cox Flight Contest progress - Page 3 Radian23

The radio gear - well part of it is carved into the wing.

Ian's Cox Flight Contest progress - Page 3 Radian24

It is still far from finished. I still have to squeeze the following into the plane but I am now in a position to adjust the balance with it.

Ian's Cox Flight Contest progress - Page 3 Radian25

I have also been able to test the RC as installed. It now has throttle, flaps and elevator and independent control of flaps (for slow flying?!!)

Another control line/RC plane is on the way for the contest engine!
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:40 pm

Your linked rate might be off. The flaps usually move much less than the elevator. Otherwise pretty darn cool!

RTP/RC is crazy isn't it?

Could you sacrifice the weight and do separate servos for the flaps, and later go full on RC? Make the rudder adjustable and no servo if you like offset. If you like rudder, then you need 2 more servos...

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:32 pm

The Radian is an all out control line kit. The inboard wing is longer than the outboard side and so I think it would make a wobbly RC plane.

I haven't a clue on settings for flaps or flaps and elevator ratios.

I do, however, have an advantage over pure control line in that (assuming it flies!) I can adjust everything in flight.

If I had have mirrored the bellcrank with a single servo throwing the flaps and elevator at the same time - I would probably have the right settings.

I did it this way so I could use the flaps to slow it down. Very small flying area - the Night Hawk whizzed around a little too fast and although I could throttle the engine back - it wasn't a happy little plane when slowed!

All this is experimental - trial and error but I will be well miffed if I bust it with the amount of time it has taken to build it so far.

Still, nothing ventured - nothing gained!
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:28 pm

I would maiden without linking the flaps. You planning to do RTP stunt pattern?

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:32 pm

WOW... I just read this entire thread for the 1st time. Ian... "hats off to you"!!! Not an easy thing to accomplish! I have been interested in trying RTP C/L flight for years... and "set out" to do it once; years ago... and never followed through on my plan.

I wanted to try a 2 line non-RC set-up with one "fixed" line to one side of the bell-crank, and one "floating" line, to the other. The "floating" line was proposed to run "inside" the pole; exiting through the top... while the "fixed" line hook was held at a "captive" height on the pole using upper/lower bushings (4-6" dia. plastic lids from tubs of margarine, held by hose clamps) Pulling and releasing "one line" from outside the circle, would control the flight... (no throttle control, of course...)

You may want to try "bushing" your pole in this way... It will keep your line(s) up at a constant level throughout the flight... which I think "might" help. If your hook is allowed to "slip" up/down the pole while climbing/diving... it's adding a good amount of "lag" in your controls.

Just a thought... I THOUGHOUGHLY enjoyed reading your comments and watching the videos you posted!!! KUDOS!!!!!!!!!!!

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:17 pm

Hi Roddie,

Sorry my reply is delayed but I like your comments.

Everything is experimental - I would like to mount the line on the pole with a bearing but I have found that height is crucial!

The flying area is tiny and so if the line is fixed too high a ground take off is difficult because of the resulting angle the aeroplane would be forced into. One wing much higher than the other.

If I am to attempt "wing overs" then the line will also need the be secured at the top of the pole - otherwise the pole above where the line is pivoting will get in the way!

There will be more trial and error. All ideas are welcome!
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:31 pm

No apology is needed Ian... You had quite a stressful week, so I read. Glad you're ok.

I see what you mean about the height of the lines being critical. This has always been something I've wanted to try... and I'm fascinated that you're doing it.  

I think you could still mount a "lower-bearing" of the type I mentioned (5"-6" dia. round plastic margarine lid) with a hole in the center; the size of your pole's O.D. with a hose-clamp "stop" below it... at a height on the pole that will permit R.O.G. Then your hook can "raise" up the pole from that bottom set-point, as the model gains altitude.

What are you using for a "stop" at the top of the pole? I was trying to visualize something like a "swivel" that would permit "stunting" without binding (kind of makes you really appreciate your arm and wrist... doesn't it?) If you build a "bail" (like on a spin-casting fishing reel) as your "hook"... once it gets to the top of the pole, it can flip over... ... ...Very Happy
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:40 pm

Ian, Have you seen these vids?

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:51 pm

Hello again Ian, I thought all day about how to go about making an RTP "stunt-bearing" using the bail idea I mentioned. You know how we make "V" shaped landing gear legs out of music wire, and put short "bends" on the ends for axles? Picture that in your mind while I explain my idea.

If you make a disc out of lightweight mat'l. lets say; 3" to 5" in dia. with a center hole, the size of your pole... and attach 2 sm. screw-eyes 180 deg. apart...close to the edges of the disc, you could then "squeeze" the gear legs together and insert the "axle" bends through the holes in the screw-eyes. This would enable the "bail" to swivel 180 degrees. When the disc/bearing reaches the top of the pole, the "bail" is free to "flip" over the pole.

Ideally; the "bail" should be mounted "on center" to prevent binding. Suggesting the screw-eyes was more for a "visualization"... Inverting the axle bends, and drilling holes in the sides of a bearing to accept them, and "spreading" the bail open to insert it, would work better I think.

The music-wire bail "itself"... could be more of a "radius"... rather than a "V" shape. Either way; as long as there's clearance at the top of the pole, for the bail to flip over... you'd have the 360/180 you'd need to stunt.

I had concerns about "pole-flexing"... but the more I thought about it, this action could be advantageous if it got breezy; by providing a shock absorbing action when the line(s) tighten after going a little slack... instead of the plane "tugging hard" at a rigid pole.

I made a drawing... but it's not great. It may help you to visualize the concept though... both the "V" and "U" shaped bails are shown. Let me know if this seams unclear.

Ian's Cox Flight Contest progress - Page 3 Rtp_st10
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:45 am

It took me a minute because the pencil is so light I didn't see the bearing disk, but that's a workable piece of engineering. Good thinking, Roger.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:46 am

Thanks Rusty. Lots of designs look good on paper... but will they actually work with dynamic forces induced? This one's been tough to get out of my head. "I wanna' build it now"... but I don't have a RTF R/C plane; let alone, one set up for RC/RTP. The next best thing right now, is to make a bearing-sleeve for the pole, with the 2 diff. style bails and a non-binding "stop-cap" for the top of the pole. I'm thinking 1" PVC pipe for the pole may work, with an inner-rod of something stiffer, to limit the flex and keep it from breaking. The bearing-sleeve could be made from 1-1/4" PVC pipe and a 1" PVC pipe-cap for the poles' top.

Using all PVC plumbing pipe/fittings would "simplify" the building process, be easy/cheap to obtain... and should exhibit the "low-friction" characteristics necessary for this concept to work smoothly.  

The "bail" I would make a mock-up from clothes-hanger wire (approx. 3/32" dia. and easy to bend) in both; a "V" style and a "U" style as I mentioned; with the ends bent "inward" 90 deg. to fit into holes drilled in the side of the sleeve, 180 deg. apart. If this works smoothly and clears the "cap-stop" at the pole's top; I will make-up music-wire bails afterward.

When I get a prototype built, I'll post pics which will help to visualize the concept for Ian, and anyone else who may want to try it.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:02 pm

Roddie

I hadn't seen the videos before but, as you had spotted, the layout restricts any stunt flying and, although I have cranked up some contest time, it is a little boring flying round and round - especially when I don't have to do anything! I have left the NightHawk unattended!

After seeing your drawing, I thought I would adapt the idea but as I am not keen on "plastic" but the mention of plumbing fittings sparked it further.

So here we go! Not plastic but a 28mm brass fitting - actually the centre piece of a 28mm compression joint.

Mounted in the lathe ready to machine. Parting tool at the ready behind the threads.

Ian's Cox Flight Contest progress - Page 3 Hummer10

First thread removed and ready to bore and enlarge the centre.

Ian's Cox Flight Contest progress - Page 3 Hummer11

Reversed and ready to remove the second thread.

Ian's Cox Flight Contest progress - Page 3 Hummer12

Parting off the second thread

Ian's Cox Flight Contest progress - Page 3 Hummer13

Lathe work finished! Five minutes so far!

Ian's Cox Flight Contest progress - Page 3 Hummer14

Ready for drilling

Ian's Cox Flight Contest progress - Page 3 Hummer15

and tapping

Ian's Cox Flight Contest progress - Page 3 Hummer16

a bit of wire bending

Ian's Cox Flight Contest progress - Page 3 Hummer17

assembly

Ian's Cox Flight Contest progress - Page 3 Hummer18

on the pole. My version of your drawing! 15 minutes - start to finish. (It has taken 30 minutes to post this)

Ian's Cox Flight Contest progress - Page 3 Hummer19

Thanks.
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next