Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

TeeDee .049 Break In Procedures Cox_ba12

TeeDee .049 Break In Procedures Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tired of it all…
by Ken Cook Today at 8:04 am

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Today at 7:41 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:46 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

TeeDee .049 Break In Procedures Empty
Live on Patrol

TeeDee .049 Break In Procedures

Go down

TeeDee .049 Break In Procedures Empty TeeDee .049 Break In Procedures

Post  anm2 Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:09 pm

I spent some time today bench running two new TeeDee .049s.  One was a brand new older (70's) version and the other was a rebuilt (new Cylinder/Piston and carb).  I was running Sig Champion Fuel with 25% nitro.  Did four engine runs at rich needle setting.  How many times (how long) do I need to run the engines before I can take them up to full speed?  What is the point of using two or even three head gaskets?  The older TeeDee seemed to run rough with two head gaskets, and did better with only one.  

I was really amazed at how easy these engines started and ran.  Much nicer than the reed valves.  I recently broke in two medallions as well, and the same with them.  Very easy starting and very smooth running.  Thanks,  Andy
anm2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

TeeDee .049 Break In Procedures Empty Re: TeeDee .049 Break In Procedures

Post  RknRusty Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:29 pm

After 4 rich runs, letting it completely cool between each one, I think you can start peaking it out for short periods, and then see if it'll hold peak for a full run. If so, fly it. Take it a little easy on really lean runs for a few flights. Sometimes they get too varnished when new, but I think the Sig 50/50 synthetic/castor will prevent that problem.

The old ones might not have good compression. You can take some 800 or so grit paper on apiece of glass and and twist the head against it making sure it's uniformly flat all the way around. Clean it thoroughly before re-installing it. Or try new glow plugs. If none of that works, if you have any pure castor fuel, maybe you can develop enough varnish to increase the compression. Bernie and Matt sell new Tee Dee Piston/Cylinder sets too.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:05 pm

The added head gaskets change the timing of the engine. it is a variable with fuel and prop choices to tune the engine for best performance.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  anm2 Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:50 pm

RknRusty wrote:After 4 rich runs, letting it completely cool between each one, I think you can start peaking it out for short periods, and then see if it'll hold peak for a full run. If so, fly it. Take it a little easy on really lean runs for a few flights. Sometimes they get too varnished when new, but I think the Sig 50/50 synthetic/castor will prevent that problem.

The old ones might not have good compression. You can take some 800 or so grit paper on apiece of glass and and twist the head against it making sure it's uniformly flat all the way around. Clean it thoroughly before re-installing it. Or try new glow plugs. If none of that works, if you have any pure castor fuel, maybe you can develop enough varnish to increase the compression. Bernie and Matt sell new Tee Dee Piston/Cylinder sets too.

Thanks.  I ran both of them again today, and they held very nicely at peak and right off peak.  I am very pleased with both ease of operation and speed.  I did not have my tach, but I am pretty sure they were both over 20K RPM.  Andy
anm2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dinsdale Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:03 am

pkrankow wrote:The added head gaskets change the timing of the engine.  it is a variable with fuel and prop choices to tune the engine for best performance.

Phil
The above alters ignition timing only.  Shims under the barrel alter port timing and ignition timing simultaneously.
dinsdale
dinsdale
Account Deactivated by Owner

Back to top Go down

Post  anm2 Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:52 am

dinsdale wrote:
pkrankow wrote:The added head gaskets change the timing of the engine.  it is a variable with fuel and prop choices to tune the engine for best performance.

Phil
The above alters ignition timing only.  Shims under the barrel alter port timing and ignition timing simultaneously.

How does port and ignition timing effect the engine?
anm2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down