Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Reed Speed, Fun with the P-51... Or... weeding out the bugs... or... smoking grass Cox_ba12

Reed Speed, Fun with the P-51... Or... weeding out the bugs... or... smoking grass Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Anzac Day!
by Boats13 Today at 11:03 pm

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by sosam117 Today at 10:41 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 10:20 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Reed Speed, Fun with the P-51... Or... weeding out the bugs... or... smoking grass Empty
Live on Patrol

Reed Speed, Fun with the P-51... Or... weeding out the bugs... or... smoking grass

Go down

Reed Speed, Fun with the P-51... Or... weeding out the bugs... or... smoking grass Empty Reed Speed, Fun with the P-51... Or... weeding out the bugs... or... smoking grass

Post  RknRusty Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:32 pm

Reed Speed, Fun with the P-51... Or... weeding out the bugs... or... smoking grass Wp_20105

We went out to fly the GlueRay today. It was so windy it felt like I had a 10 pound bass on the end of the lines. The plane was in grave danger, so so after a cut throat signal on the second pattern, we sat and talked for an hour or so. The wind died a little and the little Reed Speedster was with us, so what the hell, time for it's maiden.

5.1oz AUW, Killer Bee backplate, Babe Bee crank, Tee Dee jug, Merlin head, all fed with a pressure bladder... sounds like a badass little speedster. I should have hand launched the maiden, but decided to roll since this may be my official. It rolled a foot and jumped off the ground, but things went bad when the lines hooked up some weeds. But it flew... Fast! It looks like it's balanced nicely. Wayne said it looked like an RC plane taking off across the circle, flat and level. All he could see was smoke, A**hole and elbows as it raced away. When it hit the rope limit, it not only opened my fishing clips but broke them and kept going. Luckily that jerk set it on a landing trajectory. Unluckily it cracked the inboard wing and fuselage from the root toward the rear. Only a hairline though. I can fill it with CA and try again.
Here it goes. It's most fun if you turn up the sound. The doppler effect made it sound like a pylon racer coming toward me and passing. You only get to hear the receding sound. We got a great laugh out of the whole thing. Without further adieu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59I5AQG4ChU&feature=youtu.be
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Reed Speed, Fun with the P-51... Or... weeding out the bugs... or... smoking grass Empty Re: Reed Speed, Fun with the P-51... Or... weeding out the bugs... or... smoking grass

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:52 pm

That was the quickest jump up I have ever seen.  Shocked 

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Reed Speed, Fun with the P-51... Or... weeding out the bugs... or... smoking grass Empty Re: Reed Speed, Fun with the P-51... Or... weeding out the bugs... or... smoking grass

Post  JPvelo Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:00 pm

At least you know it flys, and fast!
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:24 pm

No kidding, man that thing was Gone! I'm kinda proud of my little plane.
I haven't put the secret weapon prop on it yet, heh heh heh. Devil

It doesn't seem to need but a couple of feet of runway, I just need to clear a path for the lines. I should have held them over my head. That was more than 300 feet before it crashed. I might have a potential winner here. If they mow the church I'll try again this week. First priority is to tighten the landing gear on the GlueRay, they are getting a little loose. And some bigger wheels for the grass at Stuntersville.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:38 pm

Easy now..... Mine is turning 21k on the ground and JP's is turning even faster than mine. If you win I would love to know about the prop.

The plane may make all the difference. Mine can't even take off  Rolling Eyes 

I am just funnin ya of course  lol! 
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:46 pm

Maybe some top secret line clips are in order lol!
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:04 am

Okay funnyboys, it's on now! Laughing 

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:27 pm

You would have had it Rusty. (damn weeds   DAMMIT!  ) At least the stang's light enough to jump off the ground in a few feet. At 7-1/4 oz. AUW.. my airplane's going to need a lot more of a ground-run. I'm not even considering trying a grass field.

At least you attempted a flight.. hope you get her fixed to try again soon. Only 2 weeks and a day left til' the extended deadline. Weather up here in RI has been very sketchy.. 40's and drizzle the last 2 days. I don't want to wait til' the last day to do this.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:59 pm

lol! Man that was something you will probably be in the top 3 I think, at least you took a shot at it and not much damage  Smoking I have yet to do so ....not to hijack but I did do this stupid sh** the other day ...  took the muffler cyl. off the medallion , and replaced the prop with a 5x3 on the stuntman 23, I should have bench tested before I spent a lot of time tring to get her going. I have to remember to fill the tank all the way up to get draw the way the set up is Mad . Light damage piece knocked out of the wing , tank put a hole in the wing  Rolling Eyes Getback
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:45 pm

I'm going to take it to Huntersville and fly it on a paved circle. It'll be entertaining during some down time between events.
It should fit in the car with my stunter... in the glove compartment. lol! 
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:55 pm

Having additional tip weight out there can prevent the torque roll as well. While you said the weeds grabbed the lines, these planes can immediately roll inboard and fly right across the circle. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:03 pm

Right now it has 1/4 ounce. It looks like it flew straight and level across the field so I'll try it again with the same, while being prepared for it to come in.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:34 pm

Maybe I am dealing with that issue. Last attempt my plane went forward about 6' flipped over and started in towards me.

I have widened the gear and moved it forward twice. If it doesn't get airborne next time I may put my foot down on it!  Thumbs Down 
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu May 01, 2014 7:01 pm

I have not flown my and hear ya....http://www.stevemandich.com/otherstuff/bigfootonfilm.htm   lol!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down