Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Fate Once Again Assails My Budget:  My Consignment Space Walker Cox_ba12

Fate Once Again Assails My Budget:  My Consignment Space Walker Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tired of it all…
by balogh Yesterday at 11:55 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:53 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:36 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Yesterday at 7:41 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Yesterday at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:16 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Fate Once Again Assails My Budget:  My Consignment Space Walker Empty
Live on Patrol

Fate Once Again Assails My Budget: My Consignment Space Walker

Go down

Fate Once Again Assails My Budget:  My Consignment Space Walker Empty Fate Once Again Assails My Budget: My Consignment Space Walker

Post  Kim Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:01 am

It's just NEVER smart to say something like, "I got enough planes, it's time to finish the projects already on the table!"

So, it's only proper that Fate would drop an ARF Space Walker into the consignment parking in Tailwinds a week after seeing this fellow and his electric, A-65 sound effects equipped, control line, quarter-scale Space Walker making graceful laps in the wind at Buder Park.

Fate Once Again Assails My Budget:  My Consignment Space Walker 29_12

My new acquisition is a two-seater, packing a new-looking O.S. 45 FX, with all the servos and receiver installed, wanting for only a flite battery and a compatible transmitter.

It was sold cheap enough to make me a bit suspicious, but appears to be a square deal.  As with many ARF's, it DOES have some features that I refer to as "Engineered-to-Fail-With-Time", such as a gaping hole in the firewall to invite the castor and synthetics inside the fuse to have their way with the bare ply inside.  

Fate Once Again Assails My Budget:  My Consignment Space Walker 1_63

Once this oil scoop is plugged, and the throttle wire is replaced with one of Sullivan's tiny cables (with BOTH shrouds sealed at the firewall), a good coating of sealer all around ought to get the beast ready to rock.

Don't know if my Airtronics transmitter will talk to the Futaba receiver, but we'll see.

Guess it WAS time for me to reacquaint myself with those wiggly things called ailerons, and hopefully it's approach speed will be slow enough for me to safely put it in the front yard.

So, another chapter begins....
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Fate Once Again Assails My Budget:  My Consignment Space Walker Empty Re: Fate Once Again Assails My Budget: My Consignment Space Walker

Post  crankbndr Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:14 am

Pretty cool, you are your best customer! Beer Cheers
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Fate Once Again Assails My Budget:  My Consignment Space Walker Empty Re: Fate Once Again Assails My Budget: My Consignment Space Walker

Post  Kim Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:17 am

crankbndr wrote:Pretty cool, you are your best customer! Beer Cheers

'Tis sadly true...although I DID arm-twist an airport buddie into buying a Hobby Zone RTF Champ !!!!!!

Still, I AM starting to worry as to whether or not I can afford my new job !!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:45 am

Congrats with the new acquisition!! Have fun with it, you only live once.
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:19 pm

Well on the bright side you didn't [bleep] your money away on a one time thing lol! Looks good can't wait to see the video , will it be 8 mm this time as you have the power ? How many channels 4-6 ? Futaba Fm I PROSUME.... Eric Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:44 pm

The servos are Futaba, but the receiver is some other brand. Gonna see if it will bind with my never-used Airtronics RDS 8000 after I get some batteries charged.

If not, I may just get another Transmitter that will bind with it. Not sure at this point.

Fate Once Again Assails My Budget:  My Consignment Space Walker 2_75

Fate Once Again Assails My Budget:  My Consignment Space Walker 3_59
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:57 pm

Kim wrote:The servos are Futaba, but the receiver is some other brand.  Gonna see if it will bind with my never-used Airtronics RDS 8000 after I get some batteries charged.

Kim --
I don't think your Airtronics is going to bind with the Orange RX. While both may operate on the 2.4 GHz band, the protocol determining how they communicate is proprietary and different. Your Airtronics uses a protocol called FHSS or Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum; the Orange brand RXs are set up for DSM2 (Digital Spectrum Modulation - 2nd generation protocol). While both talk, one speaks German and the other Portuguese; in other words, they ain't going to talk to each other.

Almost all of us at my field have swapped to Spektrum TXs --- that's not to say that Spektrum is necessarily better, but when programming, we can rely on each other for support and advice. I've flown both the Orange RX's and Lemon brand DSM and DSMx compatible RX's. Several of us use the Lemon's despite the name and have had good performance from them and those are the ones that I use most frequently. You can get a 5 pack of Lemon's for $26 plus minimal S&H -- I give them away as gifts. Smile
andrew
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:43 pm

Hey Andrew,

Thanks, you're right. I'm still a stranger to all this good 2.4Ghz stuff, but happily discovered that the servos in the Space Walker are compatible with the receiver that came with the transmitter.

So, a new battery and a little airframe work, and I ought to be in business here !!!

Being dragged into present-day Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:54 pm

Personally I would not trust that receiver, especially without a satellite extension - I have had foamies with those lose signal after letting them a little too far out. That reciever is advertised for use in parkfliers. The Full Range unit costs a bit extra.

Sounds like you found a solution though, so let us know how she flies! Smile
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/MiniCub?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:45 pm

microflitedude wrote:Personally I would not trust that receiver, especially without a satellite extension - I have had foamies with those lose signal after letting them a little too far out. That reciever is advertised for use in parkfliers. The Full Range unit costs a bit extra.

Sounds like you found a solution though, so let us know how she flies! Smile

Thanks Matt,

Yeah, I got a lot farther with the thing than I was counting on.  Had to swap some connectors, but was able to get it all wired up for a complete check on it's controls and everything works.  Just hope I can STOP trying to pull the antenna out of the transmitter before I break the sucker off.  It ain't easy being a throw-back !!!

And yeah...had to 'Redneck-a-fie' it a bit, replacing the pretty wheel fairings (for now) to give it a little more rough field ability.  The pilots are also a bit smallish, so they'll be up for adoption before too long!

Gonna work on the firewall tomorrow...wanting to get this thing in the air !

Fate Once Again Assails My Budget:  My Consignment Space Walker 1_64
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down