Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Cox Engine of The Month
November-2017
MauricioB's

"Cox Tee Dee .010"

PAST WINNERS
Speed Contest 2018
CEF Traveling Engine

Gallery

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
World of Aviation

Torky speed contest

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Torky speed contest

Post  JPvelo on Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:11 am

Any interest in a single design speed contest using the Dale Kirn Torky. No prizes just post your video on line for bragging rights? The rules would be build a Torky with a tee Dee .049/.051, 42' lines ten laps timed from rolling takeoff?

Let me know,

Jim

JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Torky speed contest

Post  getback on Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:51 am

Jim , is this the plan to use ?? How long to build ? If you Get at least 6 others I would be interested / Eric Flying
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook on Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:52 pm

Jim, I would be very interested in giving this a go. I'm still currently trying to get mine finished. This was the picture I posted about a month ago and really nothing much has changed aside from several coats of dope. It has the Kirn Kraft bellcrank as well.
Ken Cook
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS on Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:15 pm

The plan calls for a left-hand TeeDee. I noticed the same thing on the lovely little bipe, the Torquette. What kind of modifications (if any) are necessary to use a "normal" TeeDee or Medallion? Increased tip weight maybe?
KariFS
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow on Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:25 pm

Fly backwards!

Tip weight is eliminated via left hand rotation.

Phil
pkrankow
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo on Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:51 pm

KariFS wrote:The plan calls for a left-hand TeeDee. I noticed the same thing on the lovely little bipe, the Torquette. What kind of modifications (if any) are necessary to use a "normal" TeeDee or Medallion? Increased tip weight maybe?

Yep, just tip weight. Or as Phil suggested fly clockwise. Maybe it could be a Torky/Tourqette contest?

Jim
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo on Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:54 pm

getback wrote:Jim , is this the plan to use ?? How long to build ? If you Get at least 6 others I would be interested / Eric Flying

I would say leave the time open ended, just kind of an ongoing thing. Again no official contest with timers and prizes just post your video for bragging rights. As you get faster times post another video.

Jim
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  getback on Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:09 am

Bump Interest Anyone?
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie on Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:58 am

I saved the photo of the plan and just looked at it. Roughly scaling the wing.. it looks to be 16" span and about 50 sq. in.? The tank layout is pretty small.. looks to be maybe 5cc's?

Ken, did you cut and shape the whole wing.. or use one of Sig's airfoil panels?
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow on Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:19 am

Yes, as a build is interesting. My time is pressed and I don't want another can't fly it 2 years running going on...

So maybe, but likely not this year.

Phil
pkrankow
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook on Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:46 pm

Roddie, look at the print closely. The detail shows the wing flat in the fuse area. The airfoil is sanded in just beyond that flat. I used 1/4" and this allowed me to cut the wing crutch using a 1/4" slot cutter in my router. Ken
Ken Cook
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie on Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:44 pm

Ken Cook wrote:            Roddie, look at the print closely. The detail shows the wing flat in the fuse area. The airfoil is sanded in just beyond that flat. I used 1/4" and this allowed me to cut the wing crutch using a 1/4" slot cutter in my router. Ken

Thanks Ken. I have pretty much everything needed to build this little screamer. Are the recommended .050" aluminum engine-plates necessary.. and is that what you used for the LG plate? The angled joint where the 1/2" maple engine-bearers meet the 1/2 balsa fuse looks tough to fit.
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow on Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:56 pm

Easy fit. Full thickness, same as the bearer. Cut the bearer first, leave it long by 1/4 inch or so, cut the fuse to match use a two sided sanding block to fit if necessary. The actual angle is less important than the fit.

Phil
pkrankow
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky on Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:07 pm

KariFS wrote:The plan calls for a left-hand TeeDee. I noticed the same thing on the lovely little bipe, the Torquette. What kind of modifications (if any) are necessary to use a "normal" TeeDee or Medallion? Increased tip weight maybe?

How do you know if you have a right handed or left handed TD? confused
Marleysky
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

I Support My Forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac on Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:23 pm

Marleysky wrote:
How do you know if you have a right handed or left handed TD?  confused

Easiest way is to pull the venturi off so you can see the crankshaft.  Have a prop on it and turn the prop counterclockwise (right handed prop).  You should see the rectangular slot in the crank rotate below the venturi hole before the piston gets to Top Dead Center.  If the piston reaches the top of the compression stroke first, then it's a left handed crank.

The Sunwise Mark
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook on Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:41 am

Roddie, your observant to the angled joint. Your also correct in that it is difficult. For me I used a bandsaw in a miter gauge so this was easy. For those without, practice up on your Xacto saw and sanding skills. What I didn't like is that if you push it tight, it will squeeze down on the wing cutout. I made the fuse wider and once fit I planed everything down to the engine crutch. When the aluminum plate topic surfaced in the other post, I should've made mention of this. While the plate on the Torquette will stiffen the already stiff front end, it really is a spacer. The plates assist the bottom of the case from touching the inside of the relieved area and prevents it from breaking out the back. Ken
Ken Cook
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS on Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:27 am

Marleysky wrote:

How do you know if you have a right handed or left handed TD?  confused

I bought mine unused, and the seller had bought it new. He didn't say anything about an aftermarket crank, and I haven't checked it. I'm just guessing that about 97% of the TeeDees around have a right-hand crank Smile
KariFS
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie on Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:19 am

Ken Cook wrote:           Roddie, your observant to the angled joint. Your also correct in that it is difficult. For me I used a bandsaw in a miter gauge so this was easy. For those without, practice up on your Xacto saw and sanding skills. What I didn't like is that if you push it tight, it will squeeze down on the wing cutout. I made the fuse wider and once fit I planed everything down to the engine crutch. When the aluminum plate topic surfaced in the other post, I should've made mention of this. While the plate on the Torquette will stiffen the already stiff front end, it really is a spacer. The plates assist the bottom of the case from touching the inside of the relieved area and prevents it from breaking out the back. Ken

Thank You Ken. I figured that you may have used a band-saw to make those cuts. Yes.. the Torquette's aluminum plate design is definitely over-kill. The whole Torky "front-end" has got me scratching my head though. I'll have to study the plan and the photo of your model more. I have a piece of 1/2" x 2" x 24" maple that I can rip down.. but apparently there's two widths (3/8" and 1/2") required? This is where I'm confused.

I also have a piece of 1/2" x 2" x 24" poplar.. which is slightly lighter in weight. Could poplar be substituted in place of the maple.. or is it too soft?
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook on Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:09 pm

While poplar would probably work, it's not as dense as the maple. Bolt crushing would certainly take place not mention that some pieces of poplar are very cellular and can absorb oil rapidly. The stock I used was 3/8" x 1/2". This is typical motor mount stock. The balsa fuse is 1/2" as well.Ken
Ken Cook
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie on Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:29 pm

Ken Cook wrote:             While poplar would probably work, it's not as dense as the maple. Bolt crushing would certainly take place not mention that some pieces of poplar are very cellular and can absorb oil rapidly. The stock I used was 3/8" x 1/2". This is typical motor mount stock. The balsa fuse is 1/2" as well.Ken

Thanks again Ken. I'll have to remember that about the poplar. I do have a piece of 1/2" balsa.. but may opt to laminate two pieces of 1/4" if I decide to start building.. which I really should. A very good friend recently gifted me 6 different 1/2A cl. front rotary-valve engines.. including a Tee Dee .049 and .051! My very first Tee Dees!
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow on Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:05 pm

If hard maple (not soft maple) is hard to get (Brodak stocks it) cutting up flooring that is maple or white oak or shipping pallets for white oak will provide good pieces.

Just be careful if you decide to tear into a pallet, the nails...the splinters...ugh.

Phil
pkrankow
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo on Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:58 pm

getback wrote:Bump Interest Anyone?
I'm going to build one by October and post video here, I hope I'm not the only one.

Jim
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top