Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Run of my newly aquired TD .051 Cox_ba12

Run of my newly aquired TD .051 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Feed Station Zebra.. Spring 2024
by roddie Today at 8:30 pm

» Willy Nillie's Shoestring micro racer powered by COX TeeDee010
by balogh Today at 5:17 pm

» You know you’re in Branson, Missouri when
by GallopingGhostler Today at 3:12 pm

» Fun Times Keeping Busy With Lead.....
by cstatman Today at 1:59 pm

» I need to go back to RC school..
by cstatman Today at 1:41 pm

» Cox Thimble Drome Special & Champion info please Or Is there a time line?
by Myk Yesterday at 10:26 pm

» Scientific Gulfhawk
by roddie Yesterday at 8:59 pm

» Memorial Day 2024
by roddie Yesterday at 8:48 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:31 pm

» Does this book interest anyone?
by rdw777 Sun May 26, 2024 2:58 pm

» tap.. tap.. tap.. tap.. tap.. tap.. (reset)
by batjac Sun May 26, 2024 9:57 am

» Sold out Cox .049 silencers for sale
by sosam117 Sun May 26, 2024 6:16 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Run of my newly aquired TD .051 Empty
Live on Patrol

Run of my newly aquired TD .051

Go down

Run of my newly aquired TD .051 Empty Run of my newly aquired TD .051

Post  TDbandit Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:55 am

Hi all, got another run video for you guys. This run is of the TD .051 that I got from my friend a few days ago in that box of engines that I received. What My friend told me about this engine was that he had gotten it free from a hobby shop back in the early 80's who told him that they didn't feel right selling it to him because it was returned by a customer that told him that it wouldn't run for them so he (My friend) took it in but never done anything with it and it just sat, for years so he just gave it too me saying that I could do more with it than he could. Upon inspection all i can say is this engine was...different, it wasn't seized but instead, it was very very dry like it never had seen any oil or fuel through it, the Ball/socket was very slopped out too which required a careful reset, took me a good 20 or so minutes to get it set right, I also pulled the crank and took a look at the case and found some corrosion, not bad but it was there so i had to clean that out and polish the crank. The NVA had this black gunk in it that had a strange odor like bad gas that had turned to tar which makes me wonder took me forever to get that cleaned out...the head was clean though. Anyway here is the video of it's first breath of life. I treated it like a break-in run and ran it slightly rich for this run since I didn't quite trust the ball/socket due to how much I had to work it to get the right clearance, wanted plenty of lube for it.
Enjoy!! (Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Run of my newly aquired TD .051 Empty Re: Run of my newly aquired TD .051

Post  balogh Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:19 pm

Great run, TD Bandit, I tached with my smartphone app 16,3k before it stopped. I usually start the run-in process at an even lower rpm when the engine runs like a four-stroke because of the rich fuel. The rich fuel will not only keep the engine cooler but will, I guess, prevent that too "large" chunks of surface unevennesses are sheared off from the mating surfaces before the piston and cylinder materuial metallurgically stabilizes during the initial runs. The result: excellent compression retained for a long time.

If you keep it clean, run it on all-castor and avoid leaning out, the beast will serve you for well over 200+hours. I just had my R/C plane out in the field after a rekitting and repair some weeks ago, and the ole TD051 with hundreds of hours under its belt restarted at the first flip and revved around 24k in the air unloaded.

Enjoy the TD051 like I do..
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:45 pm

balogh wrote:Great run, TD Bandit, I tached with my smartphone app 16,3k before it stopped. I usually start the run-in process at an even lower rpm when the engine runs like a four-stroke because of the rich fuel. The rich fuel will not only keep the engine cooler but will, I guess, prevent that too "large" chunks of surface unevennesses are sheared off from the mating surfaces before the piston and cylinder materuial metallurgically stabilizes during the initial runs. The result: excellent compression retained for a long time.

If you keep it clean, run it on all-castor and avoid leaning out, the beast will serve you for well over 200+hours. I just had my R/C plane out in the field after a rekitting and repair  some weeks ago, and the ole TD051 with hundreds of hours under its belt restarted at the first flip and revved around 24k in the air unloaded.

Enjoy the TD051 like I do..
Thanks! Yeah I run them rich when I break them in not too rich but rich the engines are fit well enough that they don't take a huge effort. Too rich then they don't lubricate properly, a slight burble in the exhaust note is ok with cool downs in between, that how I do it anyway it always served me well. I have several tanks through it now and now it's taching around 18.3k on the cox 5x3 and it's still improving. The engine was defently not run much if not at all which makes me curious about the huge amount of slop that I found in the ball/socket (enough that I was concerned that the rod would pull out of the socket in the piston), Could it have not been set properly at the factory? Who knows all I know is it took me a while to get it set. Glad you enjoyed the video. (Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:13 pm

Yes, the balljoint gap was certainly the only element that COX could not set during the manufacture at a constant value or within a narrow tolerance.This was probably set by a single press on the swaged socket that buckled and surrounded the ball, and the resulting gap depended on a number of variables For instance the piston top of the older engines, that may have served as a reference for measuring the pressing tool travel, was not flush, the central part i.e. the swaged socket slightly protrudes from the piston top.

I also have a number of New In Box engines whose balljoint is a bit sloppy, but thanks to the resetting tool one can easily mend it.Remember though that if you set it too tight, the ball will puncture the piston top in only a few minutes.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:25 pm

balogh wrote:Yes, the balljoint gap was certainly the only element that COX could not set during the manufacture at a constant value or within a narrow tolerance.This was probably set by a  single press on the swaged socket that buckled and surrounded the ball, and the resulting gap depended on a number of variables For instance the piston top of the older engines, that may have served as a reference for measuring the pressing tool travel, was not flush, the central part i.e. the swaged socket slightly protrudes from the piston top.

I also have a number of New In Box engines whose balljoint is a bit sloppy, but thanks to the resetting tool one can easily mend it.Remember though that if you set it too tight, the ball will puncture the piston top in only a few minutes.
Oh yeah I know been there done that lol thats why you tap tap check rotate then repeat. (Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:20 pm

I have not read this but watched the VIDEO U are the MAN and that was was one badass fly lol! lol! Sorry god runman
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:35 pm

getback wrote:I have not read this but watched the VIDEO U are the MAN and that was was one badass fly lol! lol! Sorry god runman
lol! Yup in fact that was one of three that just ambushed me right when the TD started and would not leave me alone! I managed to git the Boss fly and Mr Tee Dee took care of it's minions! Death by TD swung Razor blade! OuCh Laughing Laughing
(Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:51 pm

Tanks you make my nite go by better Small Cox Logo   skeeter killer too
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:46 pm

getback wrote:Tanks you make my nite go by better Small Cox Logo   skeeter killer too
lol! TD powered fly swatter! Razz
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:11 pm

Maybe the original owner tried to run it on gasoline. Hopefully with some 2-stroke oil in it. I'm glad it's in good hands now.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:24 pm

RknRusty wrote:Maybe the original owner tried to run it on gasoline. Hopefully with some 2-stroke oil in it. I'm glad it's in good hands now.
Rusty
Thats what I think happened. Luckily if they got it to run they didn't get it to run at least well. The Ball/Socket was so loose that I was afraid that it would pull out took me a good bit to get it set properly.To tell ya the truth, I had my doubts that it would reset but it did and as you saw in the vid, it's a runner! (Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:27 am

If he did run it on gas, I don't think it would continue running without the battery, as gasoline won't catalyze the platinum, and make it glow like methanol or ethanol will. It may, however run on Flex Fuel as it has about 80% ethanol. Just thinking out loud, so to speak. I'll ask my son, he's a chemist, if it would sustain a run on gasoline without the battery, even with only 10% alky like we get at the pump today. That harsh combustion could have loosened the socket, especially with no castor.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:41 am

RknRusty wrote:If he did run it on gas, I don't think it would continue running without the battery, as gasoline won't catalyze the platinum, and make it glow like methanol or ethanol will. It may, however run on Flex Fuel as it has about 80% ethanol. Just thinking out loud, so to speak. I'll ask my son, he's a chemist, if it would sustain a run on gasoline without the battery, even with only 10% alky like we get at the pump today. That harsh combustion could have loosened the socket, especially with no castor.
Rusty
Yeah that makes sense and the more I think of it, the more I think that is what exackly happened to this engine because it sure acts like it has not completed break in. I have several tanks through it now and it's now taching around 18.5k on a cox grey 5x3 and still improving. You know, while on the subject of gasoline on glow, I don't know if you heard about this but OS has now come out with a series of glow engines that run on both glow and gas GT10 I think is the smallest right now and what I hear is that they will be replacing most of their standard glow line with them., They have come up with some type of glow plug that will catalyze with both chemistries but from what I understand is that they are a different size and can be put in standard glow engines. (Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cox24711 Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:16 pm

jezzes 18.5 k that is fast i have never run a tee dee or even touched on they look like fun! I Love This Forum! Very Happy Australia
cox24711
cox24711
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:53 pm

TDbandit wrote:...I don't know if you heard about this but OS has now come out with a series of glow engines that run on both glow and gas GT10 I think is the smallest right now and what I hear is that they will be replacing most of their standard glow line with them., They have come up with some type of glow plug that will catalyze with both chemistries but from what I understand is that they are a different size and can be put in standard glow engines. (Bandit)
Maybe it's just gasoline with methanol in it. Ethanol will catalyze, but not quite as efficiently as methanol. I just shot a long text asking my son Al, about the possibilities.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:51 pm

RknRusty wrote:
Maybe it's just gasoline with methanol in it. Ethanol will catalyze, but not quite as efficiently as methanol. I just shot a long text asking my son Al, about the possibilities.
Rusty
Could be just about all Gas now has ethanol in it so it wouldn't supprize me. I'm just not sure if E10 will catalyze enough though maybe E15 which I'm dreading when it comes out because it's gonna kill a lot small engines especially motorcycles which are currently not designed to tolerate anything more than E10. (Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum