Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cooking up an Enya .15 Cox_ba12

Cooking up an Enya .15 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» music vids.. some of your favorites
by Oldenginerod Today at 1:59 am

» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Yesterday at 2:45 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 11:22 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Yesterday at 5:33 am

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:28 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cooking up an Enya .15 Empty
Live on Patrol

Cooking up an Enya .15

Go down

Cooking up an Enya .15 Empty Cooking up an Enya .15

Post  rsv1cox Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:56 pm

I found these two about a month ago and finally got around to starting them.  Both despite their appearance are in good shape mechanically.

Cooking up an Enya .15 Enya_110

I could get one to start and run, the worst appearing, but the better of the two despite compression, fuel, and spark would not even cough up a pop.  So I disassembled, boiled it in anti freeze for a couple of hours and put it back together.  I could see no reason why it wouldn't start except the air bleed screw was all the way in and the nozzle of the spray bar was not centered in the venturi.

Cooking up an Enya .15 Enya_111

Cooking up an Enya .15 Enya_113

I will try to start it tomorrow, then clean the other one.  I thinkI will try another glow plug too, although the one I used had a bright orange glow.  But I think it's rather old.  It has AC-4 printed on the lead.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Cooking up an Enya .15 Empty Re: Cooking up an Enya .15

Post  Surfer_kris Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:46 am

Try with a fresh Enya#3 plug instead. How is the compression?

I would never clean the piston and cylinder on a used engine. There is, or there should be, a layer of castor build up on both the cylinder and the piston. This helps to seal and it is vital for the old-school engines. Since it looks like you have clean both, you will have to try and build up this layer again. So use 25-30% all castor for the first few runs and finish each run by pinching the fuel line. Good luck!
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:24 am

Thanks, The one I cleaned had great compression but both were stuck solid, a little heat loosened up the first one, the second I haven't touched yet.

Yes, the only parts boiled in anti freeze were the case and the head. The rest were cleaned with Simple Green and alcohol, no way I could have left them as is. All parts get a spray with RemOil and a blow dry. I reassemble with after run oil on all moving parts.

I do have just one NIB Enya plug left, medium I think. I will try that but it's still a mystery to me why I couldn't even get a pop out of it. I had even tried a plug out of another running Enya to no happiness.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:51 am

Is it possible that it's a clockwise running engine? If they came as a pair, maybe they were intended to be run in a twin with counter-rotating props. I know Enya sold them like this more recently.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:45 pm

I'm glad to hear that you didn't cook the vital parts...

If you prime the side of the piston it should fire right up, there is no need to even attach a tank at first. Once you get a feel for the engine you can attach the tank too.

I don't think the .15 engines came with left hand cranks, you can simply rotate the front 90° to have them running in the other direction. Another thing to check for is the liner alignment, somehow people manage to screw this up. I guess now that you've had it apart it will be assembled correctly too. If there is sufficient compression and a glowing glowplug they will always fire off a prime on the piston. Smile
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:59 pm

Don't speak to soon Kris.  The worst one was so stuck that I was afraid I would break something if I tried to free it so I dumped the whole thing intact into the cooker.  I let it boil for about two hours and it came right apart with little effort.

Cooking up an Enya .15 Enya_m10

The other one sparkled compared to this.  But it cleaned up well.

Cooking up an Enya .15 Enya_m11

Cooking up an Enya .15 Enya_m12

Cooking up an Enya .15 Enya_m13

Notice the difference in the needle valves.  The length and taper of the needle itself is not the same.  They advertize these sometimes to fit the .09, .15 and .19.  But the shorter one most resembles the NV on my original .15 bought new many years ago.  

Cooking up an Enya .15 Enya_m14

But yes,  You must align the exhaust port perfectly before you tighten down the head as it's a friction fit, also ensure that the pistons baffle is on the side opposite the exhaust port.  There is a sequence in putting these back together.

But the good news is, the one I did yesterday runs fantastic.  Go figure, everything is the same, same fuel, same glow plug, same needle, same setting.  The only things I changed were the positions of the spray nozzle and the bleed air.

Cooking up an Enya .15 Enya_m16

Cooking up an Enya .15 Enya_m17

It covers the whole range too, from full throttle to idle with no lag.  Perfect idle tick over with no idle bar on the glow plug.  From no run to perfect run.  I'm happy with this one.

I will run the worst condition one tomorrow. No reason why it shouldn't, it ran well yesterday before I disassembled it, but we shall see.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:15 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:Is it possible that it's a clockwise running engine?  If they came as a pair, maybe they were intended to be run in a twin with counter-rotating props.  I know Enya sold them like this more recently.

Hi Rod, They came together, but not as a pair. That would be great though for my proposed P-38. Smile

Cooking up an Enya .15 Enya_c14

New Enya's came packed within that clear box in a yellow foam that just fell apart over the years and corroded and stuck to that side of the engine, that's what happened to these. It happened to several of mine years ago.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:24 am

Got my "new" .09 with missing head screw in the mail today. It's all there except the screw and glow plug, and the needle and clicker spring look different to my other Enyas, but seems to be a correct fit. It still has the venturi restrictor.
I wasn't quite so lucky this time with my glycol cook-up. There are several black stains on the head and case which didn't shift. Also gave it a scrub with a brass wire brush but still black.
The good news is that the hole for the missing screw still has its thread. It was advertised as having poor compression, but with the head removed (until I find my spare screws) and my thumb over the cylinder I can't detect any leak past the piston. I like to lap the head to the liner on these, so once I find 4 good head screws I'll lap it in and see what the comp is like.
I'm looking forward to reviving another old Enya and hope to fire it up in the next few days.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:02 am

rsv1cox wrote:Notice the difference in the needle valves.  The length and taper of the needle itself is not the same.  They advertize these sometimes to fit the .09, .15 and .19.  But the shorter one most resembles the NV on my original .15 bought new many years ago.
Cooking up an Enya .15 Enya_m14  
All of my throttled Enyas have the short needle and the CL ones have long (spring) needles. Of course that may have changed over the years.

You must align the exhaust port perfectly before you tighten down the head as it's a friction fit, also ensure that the pistons baffle is on the side opposite the exhaust port.  There is a sequence in putting these back together...

I once got a great deal on a CL Enya .15-III because the previous owner had installed the cylinder and head backwards.

BTW, I believe your Enya WILL run clockwise if you turn the front housing 90 degrees so the crankshaft port is open when the piston goes up while the engine turns clockwise. Have not tried it, read it years ago.  

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:13 am

Thanks George. Throttled solid short, control line springed. Makes sense, but looking at the picture above, the springed NV came with the two throttled engines in the box. My known original throttled .15 hovever does have the short NV. I will have to be aware of that.

I will have to try that 90 degree experiment.

I just bought a gallon of SIG 5% nitro all castor to run in these Enya's, etc. Just found a cheap Enya 40 CX and have a 40SS coming. I may build some of my old R/C kits yet.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:59 am

The enyas are looking great there Bob , glad there running again love the performance and sound of them . I may run that .09 today if I have time want to run the BB on that Baby Ringmaster also to see if it runs ok to fly and a .049 medallion for the Clown . getback Wink
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down