Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Jerobee Corvette - Page 3 Cox_ba12

Jerobee Corvette - Page 3 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Indexing COX cylinders
by balogh Today at 1:10 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Cox International Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Yesterday at 7:43 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Admin Yesterday at 12:51 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Jerobee Corvette - Page 3 Empty
Live on Patrol

Jerobee Corvette

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Jerobee Corvette - Page 3 Empty Don't you have the pistol grip type in France?

Post  happydad Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:38 pm

OVERLORD wrote:Thanks Eric, In the first place, I'm wating for some descent weather. Yes, I need to buy a ne tank but I fitted another temporary tank for the first trials. My radio? I bought one this year, not a super expensive one: a T2M Pilot 6G , 6 channel 2,4 Ghz.

Jerobee Corvette - Page 3 T2m_ra10

I just had a good look. It says "T2M Racing Products"!!! You can imagine how fast that car will go with that radio lol!

Don't you have the pistol grip type in France?  Like this?

Jerobee Corvette - Page 3 Hkcart10
HobbyKing HK-GT2B 3 channel Car Radio approx. $25.00 on ebay or thru HK + shipping

Much easier to drive with a steering wheel.

happydad Futaba Radio Jeep (Imagine a RC car emoticon)
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Jerobee Corvette - Page 3 Empty Re: Jerobee Corvette

Post  OVERLORD Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:52 am

Yes, we have the pistol grip. Maybe I should give that a try. Does any other transmitter connect to the receiver that is actually on the car?

Yesterday, I started the engine and made a brief trial with the car. I found 2 problems:

1) The engine wasn't revving up very fast. This must be a bad needle adjustment or uncorrect mixture.
2) When the engine ran at full throttle, there was no speed at all. I concluded that the flyweight were slipping. I took the engine out and removed the clutch housing. The flyweights needed cleaning and degreasing a bit. The weights are shiny on the surface where they grab on the clutch housing. Also, the clutch housing edge touches the flywheel.

Can I leave the weights as they are or do I need to roughen the surface a bit with fine sandpaper?

Jerobee Corvette - Page 3 Imgp8910

Jerobee Corvette - Page 3 Imgp8911
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:28 am

If it were me I would clean and lightly sand the clutch areas so as not to catch and jerk (use very fine sand paper) I don't have one but is my experience with clutch surfaces . Eric Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:44 am

getback wrote:If it were me I would clean and lightly sand the clutch areas so as not to catch and jerk (use very fine sand paper) I don't have one but is my experience with clutch surfaces . Eric Very Happy

I agree with Eric. The surfaces are probably glazed from the heat of friction. Any idea what material the shoes/weights are made of? It looks like it might be a ceramic composite.

I'm curious whether a shield between the cylinder (exhaust-ports) and the clutch assy. might help keep oil-mist from making it's way inside?

Jerobee Corvette - Page 3 Imgp7510

A thin sheet-metal (brass/tin)disc might fit between the pull-start housing and the cylinder. You could cut the disc's center out to fit over the crankshaft housing.. or square; the size of the case maybe?

Jerobee Corvette - Page 3 Imgp6110

Here's a paper mock-up..

Jerobee Corvette - Page 3 Roddie10

My disc could be a little bigger around. This one I cut to 35mm.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:09 pm

Thanks for the tips. I did some more adjustments today. To avoid the clutch housing outer edge turning against the fly wheel, I added three 3mm washers to the clutch shaft. Now there is even a mall space. I bent up the throttle rod end because that was rubbing against the heat sink. On the engine, the crank case gasket, rubber o ring and reed were replaced. I replaced the needle spring by silicon tubing.

Jerobee Corvette - Page 3 Imgp8912

Jerobee Corvette - Page 3 Imgp8913

Jerobee Corvette - Page 3 Imgp8914

I don't know what the flywheel material is but I'll rub it with fine sand paper. I can do that without removing the engine. By removing a rear wheel and the big gear, I can get the clutch housing off.

Roddie, the disc is a good idea but I don't want to shield off the cylinder too much. What about a shield over the flywheel. I could use the free top hole in the grey pull starter assembly to fix a shield with a self tapping screw.

Jerobee Corvette - Page 3 Imgp8915

Lieven
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:47 pm

OVERLORD wrote:
Roddie, the disc is a good idea but I don't want to shield off the cylinder too much. What about a shield over the flywheel. I could use the free top hole in the grey pull starter assembly to fix a shield with a self tapping screw.
Lieven

It's only natural that things will need readjusting Lieven. Just about any design can be improved upon.. you know? The 3mm washers you added for example. Maybe the clutch will function better now. I was going to recommend the needle seal.. and I'm glad you've done that. Was the original and replacement reed the copper/star type? (just curious) I'm curious about a lot with this model.

I'd be careful with putting a screw for a shield in the pull-start housing. It would suck if it cracked. Maybe you don't have to worry about that.. but when the body is in place, the engine-bay must get fogged with oily exhaust mist.. I would think. I'm just concerned.. because you obviously want to run this model.. I would too. The foam tires could be hard to find now. Will they degrade with exposure to oil-mist? Just a question you might want to ponder.

I don't blame you for not wanting to obstruct cooling airflow to the cylinder. I would personally run fuel similar in blend to Sig 35%. Higher nitro will run cooler. This model was probably designed to run on the high-nitro Cox Racing Fuel blend.

This chassis below, you'll notice has a little pancake-fan mounted in the right-side rear.. probably powered by the Rx pack when the Rx is powered-up. I don't believe that yours uses this design.. but it might be worth looking into for a mod.

Jerobee Corvette - Page 3 Chassi10

I'm sure that you could source a fan. Figure out the size that will fit (with the body on..) and make a new mounting plate for it.

This is yours.. correct? A different approach to bring in fresh air.. but only when at speed.

Jerobee Corvette - Page 3 Imgp6111

Here's my idea... find a suitable fan.. (if cheap.. 2 or 3) make a new plate and mount it in exhaust-mode. This will pull fresh air in from under and left-to-right. The fan would be subjected to exhaust wastes... but consider it a sacrificial part. (I'll bet that it would run fine for quite a while) It would help keep oil away from the clutch/drive primarily.. and help to cut down on oil-mist inside the model too. Once you get this thing running good.. it will run a long time on that "LeMans" tank.. Count on 20-30 minutes if full.

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Fri May 20, 2016 11:36 am

As said above, i went over the flyweights with sandpaper to remove the shiny surface. It was very rough now and I put everything back again. That was a few days ago and I tested the car immediately. What a deception.!! Shocked Shocked Huh... It wasn't any better. I could do full throttle and still standing still, or the car would just creep....

I opened the clutch and could not see anything wrong; no grease or oïl. I googled on the computer to find some pics that would give me ideas or show something different with what I have. Détails about dismanteled Jerobees could not be found but when searching for "GTP NISSAN clutch" I stumbled on a picture of Jason out of a thread on our good forum. I Love This Forum!

Jerobee Corvette - Page 3 Nissan10

The flyweights are mounted as leading shoes (CCW running engine) to take advantage of the servo action when biting the clutch , just as in drum brakes. The drawing from the GTP NISSAN instruction indicate the same: leading shoes.

Jerobee Corvette - Page 3 Images11

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t4340-build-centrifugal-clutch-for-cox-engine-myself?highlight=clutch

On the Corvette, I found them as trailing shoes (CW running engine) and always mounted them that way!

Jerobee Corvette - Page 3 Imgp7510

On other RC cars, they are mostly mounted that way. The flywheights of Alejo's Nissan in Columbia are also installed as trailing shoes.

I made the change and tested the car this afternoon. What a difference. Now the car goes like stink! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up The area in my front driveway became suddenly too small.
After a few minutes, I heard a loud rattling noise coming from the engine. I stopped the engine and thought this was the end of my joy, fearing the worst. I found out that when pulling the cable, the flywheel would turn but not the engine. What a relief when I discovered that only the clutch shaft was undone. Warm

As a result, my next buy will be a 1/4" tube spanner.

Lieven
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri May 20, 2016 11:47 am

Glad you got that worked out! Would love to see and hear a vid of it running!!! Thumbs Up
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:06 am

Last Sunday, I had camera and GPS ready for the first trial. I drove off to the DIY parking lot. After fueling and a fresh loaded battery connected to the glow head, I could hardly start the engine. When it started, it ran rough, slow and stopped. It seemed I found the right needle setting but restarting was a nightmare. I then discovered a lot of play (again!!) of the crankshaft in the crankcase. The hardened goo must have loosened by the heat. That was the end of that. I immediately ordered a new crankcase and crankshaft from Matt and a spare assembly. I just saw that the package arrived yesterady at Ch. De Gaulle Airport and it's on its way to me. That's quite fast. I hope to test this week when the weather is fine.
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:30 am

Clapping Clapping Beer Cheers Too bad about the engine but with the new will bee much stronger !! Warm I really like this racers and all I can do to keep my Money Toss in my pocket but after seeing Happydad putting hundreds into his bout done me in , I am glad your not too far deep in it soo far Pray Eric Horsing Around
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:25 am

Eric, I was just Lucky with the purchase. When checking EBay, these cars seem to be made of gold which is a pitty. Otherwise, there would be more people enjoying them! That goes also for the Cox Nissan.
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:28 am

It's time to complete this thread. The crankshaft / crankcase was replaced by a new one. I also modified the front body post. The body held on with a screw which is very discrete but not so practical. I couldn't find any suitable body post for sale and modified the existing one by drilling a 6mm hole and inserting a 6mm wooden dowel. To enlarge the hole in the body, never use a drill!! I use a hot brass pipe that I push through the lexan. I also put a bumper on the front. That is so much safer. It protects the steering components.

Jerobee Corvette - Page 3 Imgp5616

Jerobee Corvette - Page 3 Imgp5617

I made this video of the car running on my terrace. It was the only running car that was entered in the C A T S contest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5idtkeriHwc

Afterwards I gave the chassis a good clean with household alcohol. I put the engine on a rag for a day at least so the oïl can drip out

Jerobee Corvette - Page 3 Imgp5620

Jerobee Corvette - Page 3 Imgp5618

I found that the chassis pan was cracked. I will try to glue that together with Loctite cleaner and CA glue.

Jerobee Corvette - Page 3 Imgp5619
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:54 am

Nice job Lieven,

Your clutch reminds me of the clutch attached to my latest Enya only nylon? instead of metal.

Jerobee Corvette - Page 3 Cleane17
Jerobee Corvette - Page 3 Cleane15
Jerobee Corvette - Page 3 Cleane16
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:57 am

Yes, all car clutches look the same. The 1/8 scale ones are metal with a cork or cardboard lining in the clutch bell.
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:23 am

OVERLORD wrote:Yes, all car clutches look the same. The 1/8 scale ones are metal with a cork or cardboard lining in the clutch bell.

"All car clutches look the same"

Jerobee Corvette - Page 3 Midget13

This one is about 2/3 scale........ Smile

Jerobee Corvette - Page 3 Tether17

Smile - Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:00 pm

...and there's cone clutch, dog clutch, cork clutch, centrifugal clutch...

I glued the chassis pan applying first the Loctite activator (and not cleaner) and then using standard CA glue.

Jerobee Corvette - Page 3 Imgp5621
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Jerobee Corvette - Page 3 Empty jerobee tee dee info

Post  davidll1984 Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:10 pm

tee dee for jerobee 1 big diference is to other tee dee is crank shaft made diferent too turning oposit direction cw facing fly weal not ccw crome plated bering sleve and crank it has aloy flyweal cilender no 4 wit rc ring n twin flut wit two boost port hy comprestion head Cool cooling head screned intake ventury like .051nffs diferent radio gear set up its fast belive me dont hit a smal rock front wil fly of the ground and my jerobee is mclaren m8 orange heavy body
Very Happy
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3