Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!


Log in

I forgot my password

Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Cox Engine of The Month
June-2017
mmischni's

Cox 0.049 Black Widow Powered Pinewood Derby Top Fuel Car



PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Tach Race 2017 Updates
Ready for Tach Race 2017?
Profile Scale Reed Speed
Gallery


Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
World of Aviation

Oops! I done it again

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Oops! I done it again

Post  Cribbs74 on Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:29 pm

Yet another off topic post. Although I am headed to the field tomorrow, albeit to sling the big planes...

Anyway, I bought another car. This time for my 16yr old daughter. I couldn't help it. I peruse Craigslist during lunch at work and came across a 1966 bug for $2K

I offered $1800 and it was mine.

avatar
Cribbs74
Moderator

Trusted Seller
Posts : 9355
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 43
Location : Tuttle, OK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oops! I done it again

Post  KariFS on Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:24 am

Cool bug! Were the spare engines in the background included?
avatar
KariFS
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Posts : 1059
Join date : 2014-10-10
Age : 45
Location : Finland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oops! I done it again

Post  ian1954 on Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:47 am

VW Beetles are collectors items in the UK and snapped up by restorers. All parts are still available (eventually!) but there are quite a few specialist suppliers and if there is a demand for anything it is remade.

There is even a US enthusiast site

http://www.1966vwbeetle.com/

avatar
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 2417
Join date : 2011-11-16
Age : 62
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oops! I done it again

Post  Kim on Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:09 am

COOL DUDE !!!!
avatar
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

I Support My Forum

Posts : 5516
Join date : 2011-09-06
Location : South East Missouri

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oops! I done it again

Post  Admin on Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:03 am

Sweet! It looks great. Fun little car Thumbs Up


_________________
-Jacob


avatar
Admin
Administrator

Posts : 4308
Join date : 2010-07-27
Location : Roseville/St.Paul Minnesota, USA

View user profile http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Re: Oops! I done it again

Post  rsv1cox on Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:21 am

Ron, unless it's a total rust-out you stole that VW.  Here in the East it would be double/triple what you paid.  Congratulations on a great buy it looks extremely nice and unmolested.  I have mentioned before that I had a '63.  

I didn't have such luck with that 2003 silver Miata.  After I got it home I found significant rust in the frame.  Fixable but with effort.   But I found a nice 2001 with no rust at all so I would have one to drive while fixing the other.





Last edited by rsv1cox on Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
rsv1cox
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 2206
Join date : 2014-08-18
Location : West Virginia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oops! I done it again

Post  roddie on Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:18 am

That's great Ron! I hope she enjoys it. My wife learned how to drive in one.. and had two of them. I could never get past the heater-box design though.  Huh...   Is there any improvement available that provides a little more heat/defrost for Winter-driving? Maybe it will never see cold weather.. but these little buggies have terrific traction in the snow! I seem to remember the w/s washer system being assisted by an air-pressure line connected to the spare-tire valve!

A little info on the stock heating system..

http://www.vw-resource.com/heat4.html


Last edited by roddie on Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:29 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added heating info link)
avatar
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 4721
Join date : 2013-07-17
Age : 57
Location : N. Smithfield, Rhode Island

View user profile http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Oops! I done it again

Post  NEW222 on Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:26 am

Awesome little car there. I always had a soft spot for them.
avatar
NEW222
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Posts : 999
Join date : 2011-08-13
Age : 38
Location : oakbank, mb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oops! I done it again

Post  navion34 on Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:25 pm

Cool, lovely car,
avatar
navion34
Gold Member
Gold Member

Posts : 208
Join date : 2012-09-09
Age : 53
Location : France

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oops! I done it again

Post  fredvon4 on Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:12 pm

Hummmm

16 YO daughter....

I was a little (not much) older when I got my first um, err, well let's say "education" in the back of a 66 VW beetle

avatar
fredvon4
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Trusted Seller
Posts : 1908
Join date : 2011-08-26
Age : 61
Location : Lampasas Texas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oops! I done it again

Post  Oldenginerod on Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:09 pm

fredvon4 wrote:Hummmm

16 YO daughter....

I was a little (not much) older when I got my first um, err, well let's say "education" in the back of a 66 VW beetle

Did you have to bring that up? affraid
That will put Ron on edge for sure. lol!
avatar
Oldenginerod
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1735
Join date : 2012-06-15
Age : 54
Location : Victoria, Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oops! I done it again

Post  dckrsn on Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:20 pm

I got nothing. silent
Bob


Last edited by dckrsn on Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
avatar
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1735
Join date : 2010-10-21
Age : 64
Location : Long Island, NY USA Earth

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oops! I done it again

Post  Cribbs74 on Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:39 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Ron, unless it's a total rust-out you stole that VW.  Here in the East it would be double/triple what you paid.  Congratulations on a great buy it looks extremely nice and unmolested.  I have mentioned before that I had a '63.  

I didn't have such luck with that 2003 silver Miata.  After I got it home I found significant rust in the frame.  Fixable but with effort.   But I found a nice 2001 with no rust at all so I would have one to drive while fixing the other.




Bob, that's some serious rot. Very strange considering the age.
avatar
Cribbs74
Moderator

Trusted Seller
Posts : 9355
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 43
Location : Tuttle, OK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oops! I done it again

Post  Cribbs74 on Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:41 pm

KariFS wrote:Cool bug! Were the spare engines in the background included?

Yes!
avatar
Cribbs74
Moderator

Trusted Seller
Posts : 9355
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 43
Location : Tuttle, OK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oops! I done it again

Post  Cribbs74 on Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:42 pm

My daughter has a good head on her shoulders. I don't worry about her.
avatar
Cribbs74
Moderator

Trusted Seller
Posts : 9355
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 43
Location : Tuttle, OK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oops! I done it again

Post  dckrsn on Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:02 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:My daughter has a good head on her shoulders. I don't worry about her.
Just knowing you from the forum, Ron, I'm not surprised.
Bob
avatar
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1735
Join date : 2010-10-21
Age : 64
Location : Long Island, NY USA Earth

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oops! I done it again

Post  fit90 on Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:00 pm

Still don't like hearing about those things. My daughter turns 16 next week and I remember being a 16 year old boy. That is a really cool car for your daughter. I hope she gets a lot of safe driving fun from it.
avatar
fit90
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Posts : 1113
Join date : 2011-08-11
Location : Naples, Florida

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oops! I done it again

Post  Oldenginerod on Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:47 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:
rsv1cox wrote:Ron, unless it's a total rust-out you stole that VW.  Here in the East it would be double/triple what you paid.  Congratulations on a great buy it looks extremely nice and unmolested.  I have mentioned before that I had a '63.  

I didn't have such luck with that 2003 silver Miata.  After I got it home I found significant rust in the frame.  Fixable but with effort.   But I found a nice 2001 with no rust at all so I would have one to drive while fixing the other.




Bob, that's some serious rot. Very strange considering the age.
I'm guessing you guys end up with a lot of salt on your roads.  Only time we see that sort of damage out here is in cars that live right on the coast in the sea-air, or on farm vehicles which are driven around in manure.  I'm guessing the Miata wasn't used for the latter.
lol!
As Ron said, that's some serious rot, and looks structural.  Out here the car would be put straight off the road in a flash.
avatar
Oldenginerod
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1735
Join date : 2012-06-15
Age : 54
Location : Victoria, Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oops! I done it again

Post  rsv1cox on Sun May 01, 2016 6:19 am

Same here, West Virginia has a no rust through policy.  I had 30 day Virginia tags on it when I got it and ran them for the whole 30 days.  I haven't registered it her in WV yet.  When I get though with that rusted area, you will not be able to tell there was any problem there.  

Both Miata's were orginally sold and used in Pennsylvania, lot's of road salt up there.  I think the difference was, silver was ran year round, green was probably put up in the winter hense the much lower mileage.  

I wouldn't think Ron's VW would have a similar problem.  I went to school in Norman Oklahoma and found it a very dry climate.  They do have winters though.

Got the new head for the Enya .19 Ron. Back together and lookin' good. Test run soon.



Thanks - Bob
avatar
rsv1cox
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 2206
Join date : 2014-08-18
Location : West Virginia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oops! I done it again

Post  fredvon4 on Sun May 01, 2016 7:59 am

Raised two girls and one boy while wife Renie and I worked dual Military careers. All turned out good/productive/contributing and now in their 30s with children.

When they visit, frequently we discuss their teen years and they usually ask how Renie or I knew when they were trying to be stealthy and were able to "bust" them so easily....

Renie and I remind them the we were also teenagers once and had "been there done that", and we had the wisdom to also remember many of the unintended consequences of our actions.

The 66 VW is a cool and great car for a teen ager that will teach a whole slew of good to have skills and habits.

Stick shift
Must check oil
no power brakes
no power seats or windows
does not have any interior distractions (central NAV infotainment console) or interconnect with cell phone
does not have cruise control, lane keeper, blind spot warning etc...

Pure basic car that does the job of getting to from A to B and back again very well and economically
As a first car the VW can teach how to coordinate acceleration and braking in corners as this car MUST be driven hands on all the time
avatar
fredvon4
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Trusted Seller
Posts : 1908
Join date : 2011-08-26
Age : 61
Location : Lampasas Texas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oops! I done it again

Post  Cribbs74 on Sun May 01, 2016 1:49 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Same here, West Virginia has a no rust through policy.  I had 30 day Virginia tags on it when I got it and ran them for the whole 30 days.  I haven't registered it her in WV yet.  When I get though with that rusted area, you will not be able to tell there was any problem there.  

Both Miata's were orginally sold and used in Pennsylvania, lot's of road salt up there.  I think the difference was, silver was ran year round, green was probably put up in the winter hense the much lower mileage.  

I wouldn't think Ron's VW would have a similar problem.  I went to school in Norman Oklahoma and found it a very dry climate.  They do have winters though.

Got the new head for the Enya .19 Ron.  Back together and lookin' good.  Test run soon.



Thanks - Bob

I knew I sent it to the right guy. Looks excellent Bob. Hope you can put it into service.

Ron
avatar
Cribbs74
Moderator

Trusted Seller
Posts : 9355
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 43
Location : Tuttle, OK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Oops! I done it again

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum