Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Expensive choices stories Cox_ba12

Expensive choices stories Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Anzac Day!
by Boats13 Today at 11:03 pm

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by sosam117 Today at 10:41 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 10:20 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Expensive choices stories Empty
Live on Patrol

Expensive choices stories

Go down

Thinking Expensive choices stories

Post  fredvon4 Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:40 pm

I hope this thread is as entertaining as the Shop Helpers thread

OK I am suffering 101F High humidity and hiding in the AC today

First true no BS story is about two cars

A 1965 Ford Shelby GT 350 white with white interior I bought from a fellow soldier in 1973 for $1900

and later sold to another soldier in 1975 on my way to Germany for $1600
No damage, well kept, most all options and the hop up stuff was all add on so not disturbing the factory original configuration

Who would have though this car would cross a auction house in 2014 for $120,000

On that trip to Germany (I had the ability to import only one Euro spec car back tot the USA) I immediately bought a GI Pay Day special hoopti car: a 1951 split window VW bug in near factory condition except the head liner was a bit raggedy for the easy price of $150 . Three years later sold it pay day special to a newbie soldier for the same $150...In 1978 this 27 year old car still had a working heater... VW guys will know this is not normal

A similar car went across the auction line recently for only $75,000

BUT
Not all "did not know then" choices stories are about cars

MY Uncle was a some what upper muckedity muck in Redmond Washington while I was stationed at Fort Lewis 1973 to 1975 and they lived in a Renton neighbor hood before buying a lake and farm in Redmond

I would visit when ever we had a weekend free...(rarely) riding my Honda 450 up the interstate 45 minuets to their place
Side note that same ride is 2 + hours today with traffic congestion from Olympia to Seattle

In my uncles neighbor hood there were three things going on....
A block away was a guy tinkering constantly on the Miss Budweiser monster unlimited Hydroplane boat
The other direction a High School band practicing in a garage
And nearly across the street some geek playing with electronics, soldering irons, and such in the garage

My bad choice: but first a bit of back ground...MY dad and I built a few Heath Kit electronics things many years earlier on Taiwan and back in the states I met a neighbor who coached me to my first Amateur Radio license...Thus I was fairly conversant in electronics...

I would hang out and pass tools to the Miss Bud guy, and later go smoke weed with the Band guys--- and ignored the cross the street geek

Named
Bill Gates
DOH!
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Thinking Re: Expensive choices stories

Post  rsv1cox Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:50 pm

Sounds like you got stoned in several different ways Fred. Enjoyed your stories, I could echo a few. We all have had those woulda, coulda, shoulda days.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:25 pm

fredvon4 wrote:I would hang out and pass tools to the Miss Bud guy, and later go smoke weed with the Band guys--- and ignored the cross the street geek

Named
Bill Gates
DOH!

I'm a "D'oh!" once removed. About 25 years ago I was dating a woman from Seattle. When she was younger she would sometimes sit and have lunch with this geeky college kid. When offered a chance to put money into his new idea, she thought he was a dreamer and never gave him a cent. *SIGH* She coulda been rich, and I coulda married a rich woman and became a kept man...

The Still Working For A Living Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:19 pm

Interesting story, Fred. Yes, I remember those cars, they were more muscle than the turbocharged Subaru's today. Regarding value now, hind sight is always 20-20. Smile

Which reminds me, on Stunt Hangar there was a discussion on a spiffy 4 passenger pre-WW2 era all metal civil plane, the Globe Swift. A younger lad replied facetiously, "What is there not to like about a Swift?" with a photo of a celebrity Taylor Swift next to his statement. An older gent gave a very apt reply, "High maintenance costs, very high."

But, there's more to happiness than money. Smoking

Do we feel blessed for what we do have these days? I know I do. Very Happy
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:37 pm

HAH! What a story Fred.
I'd bet twenty bucks, Bill's good buddy Steve was in the garage with him tinkering and soldering too. Probably coulda' done a hit of acid with Steve. He claimed that without that experience, he'd have never been as innovative successful as he was.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:05 am

Yup, some choices are expensive. Some are more mundane than others.

Drive too fast, get speeding tickets, use credit cards because of no money because of speeding tickets... 10 years later paying off the credit cards from when I ran out of money because of some speeding tickets... (glad that is over years, ago now)

Go to college, don't get 3.5gpa, have trouble finding job in my field, get saddled with student loans for decades after refi... yea Do good in school kids, especially when it is expensive. (makes me wish I had considered trade school when I was in high school)

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:53 am

Ah the credit card game

I was lucky early on as NO Bank would offer a card to a low rank soldier..... BUT SEARS and JC Penny sure would at 29.99 APR if you bought something expensive

We used that to our advantage. But because my dad gave me a real good money education (we did not have any)
We had Saved enough for the washer dryer pair but got the Sears Card any way and made payments for 6 months then paid it off.

Now with a history my bank would offer a Visa at 17.99 APR

Later in life we we doing OK and did a LOT of fun stuff every weekend we were not working in Germany. We each had several, now low APR, cards

Of course with many credit cards it is very easy for the balance to be more than comfortable able to pay off end of month so we carried a balance...that slowly got bigger and bigger

Nearing retirement we decided to live frugally and retire about $30,000 of that evil credit debt, took 5 years

We look back and laugh now about how a snack and a few beers at some outdoor cafe in Heidelberg ( about 15 DM at the time) probably cost several hundred dollars by the time we retired the debt

AND I tell all my kids exactly how we got into that mess
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:23 am

I held 40K worth of Apple stock at 80$ in my Roth IRA about the time the iPhone came out, volatility caused me to sell it.
Apple went to 800$ and split about 8, would have had 400K+ tax free. I need that boot on a rope that kicks you in the ass when you pull the rope.
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:07 pm

crankbndr wrote:I held 40K worth of Apple stock at 80$ in my Roth IRA about the time the iPhone came out, volatility caused me to sell it. Apple went to 800$ and split about 8, would have had 400K+ tax free. I need that boot on a rope that kicks you in the ass when you pull the rope.
I wouldn't be so hard on yourself. It is difficult to predict stock market outcomes. Many companies have come and gone. A friend's company retirement was based on investing in New Century stocks, when Southwestern Public Service Company was under them. Stock was in excellent shape guaranteeing a good retirement.

When Xcel Energy bought them out, stock dropped to 1/4th its value, making it hard for him to retire. (AFAIK, Xcel's stock drop was due to purchasing utility companies with bad debt.) Then shortly after they laid him off. Shocked
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down