Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!


Log in

I forgot my password

Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» The Aurora L-19 Bird Dog, more than just an airplane
by GallopingGhostler Today at 4:48 pm

» Lil Tiger - Gloss Pumpkin Orange
by GallopingGhostler Today at 3:37 pm

» Comet Belond
by DrCox Today at 12:08 pm

» Pee Wee Horseshoe back plate
by Kim Today at 10:46 am

» Ring Rat 100
by getback Today at 9:52 am

» Anyone recognize this model airplane?
by rsv1cox Today at 9:23 am

» Engines/parts for sale
by robot797 Today at 5:03 am

» Cox aluminum piston?
by 1/2A Nut Today at 1:04 am

» Another proposed design by Roddie
by roddie Yesterday at 11:07 pm

» The Cars are the Stars Contest.
by Cribbs74 Yesterday at 10:32 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
February-2019
balogh's

"Black Lynx .049 with a Throttle, Exhaust Deflector and Nelson-Galbreath head set"



PAST WINNERS
Speed Contest 2018
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
Gallery


World of Aviation

Cox Texan U/C

Go down

Cox Texan U/C

Post  MauricioB on Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:10 am

I share with you, this model of Cox, the TEXAN U / C.
I bought a while ago, I found out on a website, was a boy who only use it twice. This very well preserved, so I decided to clean it up, clean the engine and give place to enjoy their sound.
I do not mean blow it up, when I will enjoy seeing it on the shelf and just let my imagination fly behold, I hope you like it, Greetings, Mauricio.-






MauricioB
MauricioB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2016-02-16
Age : 47

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cox Texan U/C

Post  MauricioB on Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:13 am

more photos....









Last edited by MauricioB on Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:17 am; edited 1 time in total
MauricioB
MauricioB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2016-02-16
Age : 47

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cox Texan U/C

Post  MauricioB on Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:14 am

... a little liquid wax ...




MauricioB
MauricioB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2016-02-16
Age : 47

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cox Texan U/C

Post  MauricioB on Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:20 am

...and so it was finally ready for the shelf! Very Happy
What do you think?!?



MauricioB
MauricioB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2016-02-16
Age : 47

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cox Texan U/C

Post  Oldenginerod on Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:24 am

Very nice Mauricio, but I think it needs to fly again.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 2378
Join date : 2012-06-15
Age : 56
Location : Victoria, Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cox Texan U/C

Post  MauricioB on Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:33 am

Oldenginerod wrote:Very nice Mauricio, but I think it needs to fly again.

Hi !, yes but I feel like now I prefer to have it on the shelf, there remain whole! Hahaha.
These photos are from 1986, I was 15 years old, I remember my father bought me the Red Devil Racer and flying, was spectacular, then sold it to raise money and buy a think engine that was a .25 FP to spend R / C, also made a P40 all balsa wood with a Cox Babe Bee ... beautiful memories of my youth! ...

MauricioB
MauricioB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2016-02-16
Age : 47

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cox Texan U/C

Post  MauricioB on Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:38 am

also did this car rc, which had a tower and there mount the .25 FP, this was to entertain on the street in my neighborhood! Hahaha! Very Happy

MauricioB
MauricioB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2016-02-16
Age : 47

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cox Texan U/C

Post  akjgardner on Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:22 am

Looking good MauricioB.
akjgardner
akjgardner
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Posts : 812
Join date : 2014-12-28
Age : 59
Location : Milan Indiana

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cox Texan U/C

Post  RknRusty on Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:36 am

Until last Saturday at the meeting when I went to cool off while exploring Duck's(James Duckworth) museum, I never knew Cox made a Texan. In fact I saw many more models I never knew Cox had made. Duck has a huge box piled to the top with TD3s. I have no idea how he does it, but every engine I flip seems freshly oiled. Unfortunately, he only has 6 or 8 PT-19s still in the box. He does have one NIB Hyper Viper. He seemed to consider deeply when I expressed my fascination with that model. I cut him off before he made an offer, telling I only wanted one, rather than needing one, and that I'd bring it up if I ever did feel the need to buy it, and only when I could justify it. He seemed relieved. Good guy. Collector's mentality, which I know from CEF, but still can't quite understand. But that's okay, it makes the world go round.
Rusty

_________________
Don't Panic!
...and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!


My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Moderator

Posts : 10670
Join date : 2011-08-10
Age : 62
Location : South Carolina, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cox Texan U/C

Post  fredvon4 on Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:41 pm

Brother Rusty I have been on both sides of that uncomfortable moment...seeing something I desired (but not really needing) or having something (a not real close friend or buddy) desired but I did not really want to part with

Once I gave a item to a guy just being the kind of guy I am--- later to learn it never got used..Took me a while to get up the nerve to ask for it back.... very uncomfortable...but we were both over 50 and managed to work it out without any hard feelings and we are still friends today

If I were you, some day I would just sit and have a beer with Duck and tell him how many of the cool thing he has you covet... and let the discussion evolve into why... but always working the notion that you have no desire for him to just give you a particular item...maybe even joking that "if I have one of those it would be priceless"

I half suspect Duck may be like me and later think...I like that Rusty guy...I am going to drop off my scratch built aluminum stunt rockets to him and see if he can re-kit it like I did three times before it got it trimmed correctly


GRIN
fredvon4
fredvon4
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Trusted Seller
Posts : 2656
Join date : 2011-08-26
Age : 63
Location : Lampasas Texas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cox Texan U/C

Post  RknRusty on Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:16 pm

fredvon4 wrote:...If I were you, some day I would just sit and have a beer with Duck and tell him how many of the cool thing he has you covet... and let the discussion evolve into why... but always working the notion that you have no desire for him to just give you a particular item...maybe even joking that "if I have one of those it would be priceless"

I half suspect Duck may be like me and later think...I like that Rusty guy...I am going to drop off my scratch built aluminum stunt rockets to him and see if he can re-kit it like I did three times before it got it trimmed correctly

GRIN

Yeah, I could and no doubt, he would. But I'd feel like I'd manipulated him and I just can't. Maybe if he was a Dick at heart, but he's not. You wouldn't believe how many Tee Dee .010s and .020s he has in his glass revolving display. He still builds paper planes and rubber powered stick and tissue planes. He auctioned off a paper B-24 for $800 bucks.
This is it before it was finished. Still hadn't made the props. I never saw it after it was completed.


_________________
Don't Panic!
...and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!


My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Moderator

Posts : 10670
Join date : 2011-08-10
Age : 62
Location : South Carolina, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cox Texan U/C

Post  getback on Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:45 pm

Looks Good MauricioB , I don't blame you for not putting the Texan in the air just yet or never some things look better before a patch job than after lol! That B-24 is nice and (paper too) that's just wild there . Rusty you don't need any more Toys you would just takem out and play with them ! Laughing
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 5453
Join date : 2013-01-18
Age : 61
Location : julian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cox Texan U/C

Post  fredvon4 on Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:24 pm

Rusty...I guess I missed conveying my thought...I was trying to suggest a modeler to modeler discussion where there was just honest talks of like/love for a thing....not intentional manipulation,,,,then human nature happens...you personally have experienced this with several CEF folks just gifting you stuff...(me too)

I think my true message is:

WE are all aging and some times wonder WHO would appreciate all this crap I have accumulated

Unless Duck knows that you secretly covet something---- and perhaps you would (for your personal pride) be willing to pay for it...he has no idea to just offer to gift it or sell to you

I had a, not very close, acquaintance who offered--- through a third party ----for me to come get his entire wood working shop

Indeed there were a few tools I could never afford and I secretly coveted...in the end I went to his place and told him I knew his son was the better person to gift the stuff to.... he was curious why...I told him I made a good living and could pay my bills comfortably...but his son with wife and kid could at least keep a few of the tools and sell off those not needed to offset his living costs

A few months later I got gifted a very nice high end 8" x 60" foundry (very heavy) 3 blade jointer upon that mans death

I promptly sold it for $6500 and sent the cash to his son....in the interim I had already bought a fairly good 6"x 60" jointer for my new shop

In this regard I have a LOT of some what eclectic model airplane stuff here I know my sons and grand son have zero interest in

Only 61 YO but really need to get a catalog going and start pre planning who gets all this crap
fredvon4
fredvon4
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Trusted Seller
Posts : 2656
Join date : 2011-08-26
Age : 63
Location : Lampasas Texas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cox Texan U/C

Post  roddie on Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:25 pm

Hi Mauricio! Congratulations on finding the Cox "Texan"!!! Very nice restoration you have done! I think would look good hanging high in a "dive" from thin wire (fishing line) in a corner of your workshop! I love to see models displayed this way. It is an attractive scale-model! You could build a balsa semi-scale "profile" Texan taking measurements from the Cox model and fly it instead! I make engine-cowlings from aerosol can caps. This really gives an illusion of 3D that makes a profile model of a radial-engine more realistic. The Texan would be a perfect subject for this. For .049 engines, I use 1/4" (6.3mm) balsa for the fuselage and design the fuse's nose measurements to fit inside the cowling from the beginning.. and design the firewall with cowl support-tabs top/bottom on each side. A radial engine-mount can be easily centered.. but if a beam-mount is desired or needed.. the beams can be side-mounted (offset) to locate the engine's centerline with the fuse.. and on-center with the cowling.

It's a nice (and fairly easy) addition to a profile model to make it look a LOT more scale-like. Careful measuring will provide the locations for the holes in the cowling for the cylinder and crank-shaft. A needle-valve extension will likely be required.. but an extension running out through the cowling can help to hold the needle-adjustment. I have used a rubber grommet with a tight fit. Again.. it takes careful measuring for a proper fit. I used a hole-saw to make the holes for the engine cylinder and front crank-nose.







The cowlings I make from these air-freshener refill cans.. which are more aerodynamic than most others. The nose of the fuse has hardwood/ply blocks which accept 2 woodscrews (top/bottom) to secure the cowling. A ridge inside the "cap" provides a stop for the fuse's nose and side support tabs to bear on.

It's one way to build a realistic radial-engine cowling on a little profile model.. that's fairly easy.. and also doesn't add much weight.



You can always "build" a Texan.. to resist the temptation of flying the irreplaceable vintage Cox model.. and have an airplane that will likely fly better!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 6271
Join date : 2013-07-17
Age : 59
Location : N. Smithfield, Rhode Island

View user profile http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Cox Texan U/C

Post  MauricioB on Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:17 pm

akjgardner wrote:Looking good MauricioB.

Thanks !, make you want to fly! Very Happy ...Mauricio.-
MauricioB
MauricioB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2016-02-16
Age : 47

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cox Texan U/C

Post  MauricioB on Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:21 pm

RknRusty wrote:Until last Saturday at the meeting when I went to cool off while exploring Duck's(James Duckworth) museum, I never knew Cox made a Texan. In fact I saw many more models I never knew Cox had made. Duck has a huge box piled to the top with TD3s. I have no idea how he does it, but every engine I flip seems freshly oiled. Unfortunately, he only has 6 or 8 PT-19s still in the box. He does have one NIB Hyper Viper. He seemed to consider deeply when I expressed my fascination with that model. I cut him off before he made an offer, telling I only wanted one, rather than needing one, and that I'd bring it up if I ever did feel the need to buy it, and only when I could justify it. He seemed relieved. Good guy. Collector's mentality, which I know from CEF, but still can't quite understand. But that's okay, it makes the world go round.
Rusty


Hello! Rusty .... I understand part of his message, but do not understand when expressed on a museum and description you do not use the English and I guess You said personal situations that have had to live, regret not being able to understand express and respond.
You are always very generous with his information, but this time do not understand you, I apologize.
Mauricio.
MauricioB
MauricioB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2016-02-16
Age : 47

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cox Texan U/C

Post  MauricioB on Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:24 pm

getback wrote:Looks Good MauricioB , I don't blame you for not putting the Texan in the air just yet or never some things look better before a patch job than after lol! That B-24 is nice and (paper too) that's just wild there . Rusty you don't need any more Toys you would just takem out and play with them ! Laughing

Hello !, thanks for letting me the message, of course, is somewhat delicate blow it up because if crashes would be a shame, I like to have healthy and well keep it, but I want no shortage of hecharlo to fly !!!
greetings, Mauricio.-
MauricioB
MauricioB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2016-02-16
Age : 47

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cox Texan U/C

Post  MauricioB on Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:27 pm

roddie wrote:Hi Mauricio! Congratulations on finding the Cox "Texan"!!! Very nice restoration you have done! I think would look good hanging high in a "dive" from thin wire (fishing line) in a corner of your workshop! I love to see models displayed this way. It is an attractive scale-model! You could build a balsa semi-scale "profile" Texan taking measurements from the Cox model and fly it instead! I make engine-cowlings from aerosol can caps. This really gives an illusion of 3D that makes a profile model of a radial-engine more realistic. The Texan would be a perfect subject for this. For .049 engines, I use 1/4" (6.3mm) balsa for the fuselage and design the fuse's nose measurements to fit inside the cowling from the beginning.. and design the firewall with cowl support-tabs top/bottom on each side. A radial engine-mount can be easily centered.. but if a beam-mount is desired or needed.. the beams can be side-mounted (offset) to locate the engine's centerline with the fuse.. and on-center with the cowling.

It's a nice (and fairly easy) addition to a profile model to make it look a LOT more scale-like. Careful measuring will provide the locations for the holes in the cowling for the cylinder and crank-shaft. A needle-valve extension will likely be required.. but an extension running out through the cowling can help to hold the needle-adjustment. I have used a rubber grommet with a tight fit. Again.. it takes careful measuring for a proper fit. I used a hole-saw to make the holes for the engine cylinder and front crank-nose.







The cowlings I make from these air-freshener refill cans.. which are more aerodynamic than most others. The nose of the fuse has hardwood/ply blocks which accept 2 woodscrews (top/bottom) to secure the cowling. A ridge inside the "cap" provides a stop for the fuse's nose and side support tabs to bear on.

It's one way to build a realistic radial-engine cowling on a little profile model.. that's fairly easy.. and also doesn't add much weight.



You can always "build" a Texan.. to resist the temptation of flying the irreplaceable vintage Cox model.. and have an airplane that will likely fly better!  

Roddie dear! very good applications, thank you for sharing, the'll remember.
You have done very good work, is a very good adaptation completion of that craft! Thumbs Up
Mauricio.-
MauricioB
MauricioB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1871
Join date : 2016-02-16
Age : 47

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cox Texan U/C

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum