Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

baby barnstormer - Baby Barnstormer Cox_ba12

baby barnstormer - Baby Barnstormer Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 9:18 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by 706jim Today at 6:44 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

baby barnstormer - Baby Barnstormer Empty
Live on Patrol

Baby Barnstormer

Go down

baby barnstormer - Baby Barnstormer Empty Baby Barnstormer

Post  Mjsas Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:49 pm

I have been slowly building a Baby Barnstormer.

Many years ago I learned to fly with a Stuntman 23 and moved up to a Baby barnstormer. It was covered with silkspan and was painted white. It was powered with a TeeDee .049. I still have the TeeDee and am recreating the BB. This version will have a 24.5" wingspan which is a bit oversize. The wing is ready for covering, I am still trying to come up with a design for the fuel tank as it has to be a pressure tank.

I have several cans of Cox red fuel which is good stuff.

I flew the original both summer and winter, I remember flying on a frozen lake and crashing into a snow drift.

This version will be Cub Yellow, the only choices I had at the hobby shop were Foker red, orange, green and yellow. I would have liked Stearman red but they did not have that. The last photo is of an old drafting kit. These old ruling pens work quite well with dope and it is possible to draw sharp lines and circles. I am not very good at coming up with good designs, all my planes look like someone with a ruling pen drew silly lines on them. I would like to have someone give me a good design.

This a fairly simple plane to build and I remember it was fun to fly. At that time I was not a 3D flyer, I just flew in circles.

baby barnstormer - Baby Barnstormer 100_6317
baby barnstormer - Baby Barnstormer 100_6319
baby barnstormer - Baby Barnstormer 100_6320
baby barnstormer - Baby Barnstormer 100_6318
baby barnstormer - Baby Barnstormer 100_6321
baby barnstormer - Baby Barnstormer 100_6323
baby barnstormer - Baby Barnstormer 100_6322
Mjsas
Mjsas
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

baby barnstormer - Baby Barnstormer Empty Re: Baby Barnstormer

Post  Marleysky Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:57 pm

Yeow! You have completed a lot of the plane! It looks good. I did a quick search of "tanks" and found one Rusty did .....he also has two videos on building and mounting of pressure tanks for use with TD engines. Someone will find and post the Link to them

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t667-video-making-a-pressureless-bladder-tank-and-using-it-to-fuel-my-medallion?highlight=Tank

You did not say if the covering you are going to use is paper or plastic? Is it like monocoat or did you get colored silkspan?  Let us know what you're using and I'm sure someone will have helpful hints on how to properly apply and finish the covering.

When I first got into drafting some of the "old school" architects/engineers were still using "velum" and inked pens like calligraphy pens  similar to what you have there!  You weren't a real engineer unless you could "ink" your own drawings, or just have the lowly "draftsman"  draw them for you.  Yeah, I watched the great change from ink to mechanical pencils and finally to computers and CAD drawings, sorta like the Wright brothers watching planes turn into jets then watching Neil Armstrong land on the moon!!  Today you can search the world for images on your computer find ones you like and print them on "decal paper" and put them on your plane.  Once again refer to RUstys build thread on the TWISTEr! What a guy. So you are NOT limited to just circles and lines on your plane!   Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!!

Just found part one: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BNCkngFqPVw&itct=CBAQpDAYASITCM6cpZyes84CFd2dTgodyAgH2zIGcmVsbWZ1SIf81fmFsPnhVA%3D%3D

Last edited by Marleysky on Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Pt1 linc.)
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:27 pm

Good job on the build!

What are your plans? Are you going to stunt with it or just do circles. If the latter you can get by with a hard tank. If you plan on stunting pressure will be the way to go. However, you are going to have a problem with that stock needle. It won't allow the fine tuning you will need for a clean bladder run.

Texas timers will sell you the NVA that you need.

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:46 pm

A burst pattern is easy. It can be off center, centered, or otherwise. The Citibria displays many versions with a quick image search.

You can do color fields, LE in trim color, 1/4 chord in a contrasting color, the rest in base color. This can also be skewed with good results.

Bird wing patterns are easy and pretty cool. Basically just circles and lines make up some flight feathers. The Flite Streak shows a very simplified version with no detail at all in the pattern.

Flames, racing stripes, pin striping, all your basic hot rod schemes are effective. Off center striping over the wing and tail works well as racing stripes. The stripes can be smaller images to suit your fancy.

Sky is the limit for decoration ideas.

Trace out the plane and hand the tracing to some kids and see what happens even!

Looking good so far.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:49 am

The Barnstormer is looking Good Mjsas , It makes me happy to see the build , I cant give much advice on the paint scheme being fairly weak in that department I usually use more color than other people would .  lol!    Are you going to silk it like the one you use to have / the hard tank would bee a lot simpler and less maintenance if your not going to super stunt it . Eric Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mjsas Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:13 pm

I plan to cover it with paper, the cub yellow is more gold then yellow. I do not like true yellow.

The original plane had a hard tank with a flip cap which was an old oil cap from a small electric motor. These were as common as dirt back then but now they are very rare. They are on Ebay for $5 but that is way too much. I suppose I could make a spring loaded cap. My TeeDee has a drilled out air intake so it has to be pressure.

I can fly 3D now so I intend to see if this plane can do more then circles.
Mjsas
Mjsas
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:55 am

Cribbs74 wrote:Good job on the build!

What are your plans? Are you going to stunt with it or just do circles. If the latter you can get by with a hard tank. If you plan on stunting pressure will be the way to go. However, you are going to have a problem with that stock needle. It won't allow the fine tuning you will need for a clean bladder run.

I am flying RC and have settled with balloon tanks fashioned from party balloons. Reliable, lasting, light, preventing fuel foaming, flexibly accommodating any fuel tank compartment, cheap, enable stunt flying with wingovers, work on only one fill and one feedline etc....
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:05 pm

balogh wrote:
Cribbs74 wrote:Good job on the build!

I am flying RC and have settled with balloon tanks fashioned from party balloons. Reliable, lasting, light, preventing fuel foaming, flexibly accommodating any fuel tank compartment, cheap, enable stunt flying with wingovers, work on only one fill and one feedline etc....

The question is whether his engine will draw fuel from the balloon (non-pressure) with the drilled-out venturi. Texas Timers also sells "one-way" fill-valves, which would simplify pressurizing a hard-tank. It could also be routed outside the fuse.. to avoid spilling fuel inside the tank compartment. Currently $6.00 at Texas-Timers; it might be worth the cost if a hard-tank is desired. Their fine-thread needle valve assembly for the Tee Dee is currently $25.00.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mjsas Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:27 pm

Here are some more pictures, like I said, "I am slow building." The next step is to make the fuel tank.

This is a fairly simple airplane to build and if I was even average at build time it would be done. It is a pretty airplane and if I remember correct it is a good flyer.

Edited to add a color scheme that I think might look good.
baby barnstormer - Baby Barnstormer 100_6319
baby barnstormer - Baby Barnstormer 100_6317
baby barnstormer - Baby Barnstormer 100_6318
baby barnstormer - Baby Barnstormer 100_6316
baby barnstormer - Baby Barnstormer 100_6315

baby barnstormer - Baby Barnstormer Color12

Last edited by Mjsas on Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mjsas
Mjsas
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:47 am

I was going to reply then my computer took a dump and had to bee repaired Mad Man the Baby Barnstormer is looking SWEET , Your doing a good job even if you think its taking a long time . Heck I have some builds that have been 1/2 done for a year or more Sad lol! Keep us updated and Thanks !! Eric Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: