Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Anticipation is making me (wait )  Carley Simon Cox_ba12

Anticipation is making me (wait )  Carley Simon Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by sosam117 Today at 3:22 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 12:27 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by roddie Today at 10:11 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 8:14 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 3:16 am

» Happy Anzac Day!
by Boats13 Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Yesterday at 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Anticipation is making me (wait )  Carley Simon Empty
Live on Patrol

Anticipation is making me (wait ) Carley Simon

Go down

Anticipation is making me (wait )  Carley Simon Empty Anticipation is making me (wait ) Carley Simon

Post  rsv1cox Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:48 am

I'm one of those people that has to keep busy, physically busy.  I have always been that way.  I should have burned out long ago but I seem to thrive on it.  

Waiting on that South Carolina RX-7 to be delivered is driving me nuts. The Thanksgiving holiday has interferred, transport drivers parking their trucks and going off-line.  So, in the interum I have cleaned my basement workshop of balsa dust, organized my tools, cleaned up all my projects, opened up a space in the two car garage and moved my big boy tools over from the remote garage.  I'm ready now, but I'm getting "We'll get back to you Monday."  

Meanwhile, my RX-7 is sitting in a lot in downtown South Carolina, catalytic converter exposed to anyone with a battery powered Saws-all, or worse.  Driving me nuts!  So, with nothing to do but wait I dug out this unfinished project.  The Nescafe' Cafe Racer.  

Anticipation is making me (wait )  Carley Simon P1014655
Anticipation is making me (wait )  Carley Simon P1014656
Anticipation is making me (wait )  Carley Simon P1014654

The RX-7 is better than expected.  Much better than expected.  My son has researched the car and the previous owner.  Elderly gentleman that passed away at 93.  Car has set garaged for the past 15 years.  Identical to the one I owned back in 1985 except the interior is red. Brings back memories.

Anticipation is making me (wait )  Carley Simon 84_dri10
Anticipation is making me (wait )  Carley Simon 84_das10
Anticipation is making me (wait )  Carley Simon Consol10
Anticipation is making me (wait )  Carley Simon Pass_d10
Anticipation is making me (wait )  Carley Simon Rx-eng10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Anticipation is making me (wait )  Carley Simon Empty Re: Anticipation is making me (wait ) Carley Simon

Post  getback Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:09 am

It does look alot better in those pics. Bob that faded red sucks Pink is not your color lol! I would think it will bee here this weekend latest. bounce
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Anticipation is making me (wait )  Carley Simon Empty Re: Anticipation is making me (wait ) Carley Simon

Post  rsv1cox Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:35 am

getback wrote:It does look alot better in those pics. Bob that faded red sucks Pink is not your color lol! I would think it will bee here this weekend latest. bounce

There's an old saying Eric - "Pink Stinks" and it does.  The interior reminds me of a Paris House of Pleasure.  But I have had good luck with some of the vinyl finishes, Armor-all etc. to brighten it up a bit.  My RX-7 was a medium aqua exterior and a light mint interior, not much better.  I did my '59 Corvette in red, all reproduction.  But the best was my '74 Corvette done in silver leather, with vinyl trim.  Burgundy exterior it was a stunner.  

Notice the console with the cassette player.  I wore out Fleetwood Mac cassettes in there and several others.  But my favorite, the sound track from the movie "Electric Horseman", hands down my favorite album ever.  So replacement, to Amazon, here next week.  Volume turned up to unbearble along with the tach.. Good times.

Anticipation is making me (wait )  Carley Simon Electr12

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=the+electric+horseman+soundtrack&&view=detail&mid=0BF3BED803ABAE3E07D30BF3BED803ABAE3E07D3&rvsmid=6CDF9A0030E74935D07E6CDF9A0030E74935D07E&FORM=VDRVRV

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=the+electric+horseman+soundtrack&&view=detail&mid=6EE9830D31D1958BF5BF6EE9830D31D1958BF5BF&&FORM=VDRVSR

Sort of Paul Mauriat on steroids.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:13 pm

Using an aerosol paint can as a guide I cut out a circle on painters tape to mask off the cowl. Worried about the tape lifting the aluminum paint I thought -why not just use the can. Worked out great, I sanded the bottom of the can flat and sat it on. Got a perfect line between the two paints. Same paint that I used on the P-36. The only plastic on the plane is the top half of the fuselage and the engine mount/belly pan. Rest is balsa.

Anticipation is making me (wait )  Carley Simon P1014659
Anticipation is making me (wait )  Carley Simon P1014657
Anticipation is making me (wait )  Carley Simon P1014658

I'm not going to cut holes for the needle or the glow plug, access is from the back of the cowl.

Loaded up the RX-7 about an hour ago. Should be here about 8 pm. But we remember Marks two Mustangs on a trailer getting rear-ended and totaled some eight years ago. It's not over until the fat lady sings.

Anticipation is making me (wait )  Carley Simon Rx-7_r10
Anticipation is making me (wait )  Carley Simon Rx-7_010
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  robot797 Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:02 pm

that is a nice looking rx-7
reminds me of the one I used to have
robot797
robot797
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:37 pm

Got another cowl-less Peashooter to do, better condition than the first.  

Anticipation is making me (wait )  Carley Simon P1014660

Mazda arrived about 8:15 pm.  32 degrees F.  Crispy condition.  No brakes, no clutch, dead battery.  But, the engines turns, manually.  Means the apex seals are not stuck to the walls.  Electrically everything works after we put a good battery in it.  No attempt to start it, may take weeks before that happens.  Oil black but full to the mark. Same for the coolant, all good indicators.  I don't think I have ever bought a project car that I didn't have to bleed the brakes and the clutch.  

As always I took a unloading picture and one of the driver.  All pertinent information included.  Missing side molding was in the back.  Looking at 12 to 16 months.

Going to be fun.

Anticipation is making me (wait )  Carley Simon P1014661
Anticipation is making me (wait )  Carley Simon P1014662
Anticipation is making me (wait )  Carley Simon P1014663

Thankfully this didn't happen:

Anticipation is making me (wait )  Carley Simon Mustan20
Anticipation is making me (wait )  Carley Simon Mustan21
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:59 am

rsv1cox wrote:

Thankfully this didn't happen:

Anticipation is making me (wait )  Carley Simon Mustan20
Anticipation is making me (wait )  Carley Simon Mustan21

Don't keep reminding us Bob.  It doesen't get any easier Mad
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:19 am

Shock the Newby's here Rod.

Yeah, my little piece of trash Mazda has a value about 1/20th of those two.

Mark over last night to help unload it. The driver went out of his way to get it to me yesterday so I gave him a substantial bonus. Battery marked 6/07. Replaced it with one out of my daughters Miata, a Diehard. She let's it sit for a month and can't understand why it doesn't start so she goes out and buys a new battery. I inherit the old one.

Played around with it until 10 PM when Mark went home.

Still there this morning.

Anticipation is making me (wait )  Carley Simon P1014665
Anticipation is making me (wait )  Carley Simon P1014664
Anticipation is making me (wait )  Carley Simon P1014666
Anticipation is making me (wait )  Carley Simon P1014667

I'll close this out and start a build log in a week or so, fewer words and pictures so not to bore.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:33 am

cheers cheers Glad it got there in one piece and sure you are / since you been worried about it the whole time sleep was better last night ? Does it have any old gas in the tank you recon. Airplane All good indicators like you said fluids/elect. tires to roll . Beers
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:44 am

I really like this little rodster model, I had a Porsche 924 It's a similar body style i mis this cars so mutch Sad  Anticipation is making me (wait )  Carley Simon Apr12_10
Anticipation is making me (wait )  Carley Simon Apr12_11
Anticipation is making me (wait )  Carley Simon Apr12_12
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:59 am

Glad to see it there and that it arrived there safely in one piece too!
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:59 pm

getback wrote:cheers cheers Glad it got there in one piece and sure you are / since you been worried about it the whole time sleep was better last night ? Does it have any old gas in the tank you recon. Airplane All good indicators like you said fluids/elect. tires to roll . Beers

Gas tank gauge shows 1/4 tank. It will get drained and burned on the burn pile. Clock works . Smile

Anticipation is making me (wait )  Carley Simon P1014670
Anticipation is making me (wait )  Carley Simon P1014671

Uniroyal Tiger Paws. Good tread and sidewalls. Wouldn't trust them over 30 MPH, but good for roll-arounds.

Anticipation is making me (wait )  Carley Simon P1014672
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:44 pm

Glad you mentioned the clock works. That was something I noticed earlier but forgot to make mention. Does the display light up when the car is on, or is there a button to press for backlight?
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:26 am

I like the RX7 Bob. I bought a 1983 model when I returned from Korea back in 1998. It was a great car, lot of fun and made several trips from Ohio back to Canada in winter blizzards. Got me there and back without issue. The Wankel is a fine engine, I certainly liked the smoothness and power curve. I met my Wife in that car and while we were dating she borrowed it and promptly drove it off the side of an on ramp. Every panel was misaligned after that. I still married her though and that was 24yrs ago. I sold it shortly thereafter.

I have a couple cars coming myself. I will report back when I pick them up on Tues.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:37 am

Cute lil car, Bob..What is the mile on the ODO? I see 136,819 or similar..I sometimes watch  TV sequels like Pimp my ride or similar, where old cars are refurbished, but mainly the bodyworks are worked on only...engines are rarely touched...looks like a few hundreds of miles on the ODO does not necessitate it with cars made for the US market with stronger engines ( at least some decades ago with cheaper fuel and less environmental concern, this may have been the car makers' policy) than for outside the USA, with the oversized engine outliving the car body several times?
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:59 am

Yes, 136K miles plus.  Right at the limit for a Mazda rotary engine before the apex seals start to wear making it hard to start.  Marks 1986 RX-7 became an issue at about 122K miles.  Little beer keg of a thing, quite easy to pull and rebuild.  Not me! If necessary I'm farming it out.  

The Motor Trend channel over here has a lot of automotive programming. I also watch PBS's "Motor week" with John Davis.  I have watched it for years and years.  

Looking forward to hearing about your new additions Ron.  Did you ever finish that Mustang?

And Chancey, the dash panel display comes on with the key, no back light.  Lights up like a Christmas tree but my flash drowns it out.

Did a little cleaning today. Warm soapy water, clean water rinse, Armor-all. First layer off.

Anticipation is making me (wait )  Carley Simon P1014673
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:11 pm

OK Bob, my turn and sorry for stepping on your post. A couple of old British warbirds have found their way to my workshop.

Anticipation is making me (wait )  Carley Simon 02319a10

Last edited by Cribbs74 on Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:46 pm

Not stepping on it. Enhansing it, making it better. I never mind people adding to my posts.

Looks like a Triumph Spitfire and a GT-6. My son Mark would love it. He had two Spitfires in his teen years.

What are your plans for them?
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:28 pm

Ron,
Which are you going to tackle...the Spit, or the GT+6?

Have you ever heard of Teglerizer.com?

I have a stash of 2.5 L straight sixes if you want to upsize that order. And I speak Zenith-Stromberg fluently. With little effort, the Throttle Bypass Valves can be defeated....one less component to tune or fix. The Temp Compensators can also be defeated. Of course this means you get to adjust the air valve needles seasonally...but again, one less component to adjust or fix.

Ford's TFI module from their late 80s/early 90s will trigger the coil from the "digital" on/off of points, with auto-off when the engine is not turning, and dwell control (something the other systems can't do). All this while allowing (with a one wire move) for driving home on the points if the module dies. My TR6 ran the same points for over 12 years. Of course, timing drift still needs to be corrected for rubbing block wear.  Just don't run high plug gaps, or the rotor tip and inside terminals in the cap will pay for it in short order.

I miss my daily driver TR6...sigh

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:36 pm

Bob, The red one is in really good shape. Lots of new parts and absolutely rust free. I need to finish the wiring harness that the PO replaced. It came with a ton of parts so it’s not far off from being road worthy.

Jim the 2.5 is really tempting. I may hit you up about the Zenith carbs. I like the idea about the ignition upgrade as well. I went to the Teglerizer site and it doesn’t appear to be working…

So, the reality is I like the GT6 much more the the Spitfire, but it’s really rough, still restorable though. What I might do is pull the body off and set it aside and restore the chassis and running gear. Once that is done I can slide it under the Spitfire for a Spit 6 conversion. The GT6 is a MKIII so it has all the rear suspension upgrades. Over time I can fiddle with the GT6 body and maybe swap it back.

The Spitfire does have some nice features, like overdrive and a factory hardtop which is steel with real glass all around and a headliner. It’s the nicest hardtop I have seen on a British roadster.

I would like to find a set of dual carbs for the Spit and lose the single Zenith. The power upgrade can only help and I doubt economy will be affected that much.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:39 am

OH Boy Triumphs !! I had the spitfire twice first wife took my 1st. one then got another not as good but had overdrive weird set up on the stick . 1979 i think , I flopped it on a dirt road one night so drunk all i remember was beeing upside down and trying to get put LOL They tried to give me a DUI  but my $1000 lawyer got it threw out cause i wasn't there  Snowman Anyway picked it up from tow and took the plugs out spun it over till the oil stop coming out and drove it home with the top on my head looking out the window ,,, I couldn't afford to fix all of it so it was let go for $25 I kick myself every time i think of it . Had alot of fun in that car's blew a hole in the block of second one but got it braised and running again . I had a friend that has/had 2 GT6 s said he would restore in retirement ...
https://www.cars.com/shopping/triumph/  see some prices ?!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:43 pm

getback wrote:OH Boy Triumphs !! I had the spitfire twice first wife took my 1st. one then got another not as good but had overdrive weird set up on the stick . 1979 i think , I flopped it on a dirt road one night so drunk all i remember was beeing upside down and trying to get put LOL They tried to give me a DUI  but my $1000 lawyer got it threw out cause i wasn't there  Snowman Anyway picked it up from tow and took the plugs out spun it over till the oil stop coming out and drove it home with the top on my head looking out the window ,,, I couldn't afford to fix all of it so it was let go for $25 I kick myself every time i think of it . Had alot of fun in that car's blew a hole in the block of second one but got it braised and running again . I had a friend that has/had 2 GT6 s said he would restore in retirement ...
https://www.cars.com/shopping/triumph/  see some prices ?!

Can’t say drinking and driving is a good idea, but at least you survived and didn’t kill anyone. You are dang lucky.

I’d say you made out pretty good even with having to sell the car for $25. I hope you aren’t doing that kind of thing anymore.

I thank God I didn’t kill anyone when I was doing that crap in my youth. I still panic when I think about driving home from bars holding a hand over one eye so I could see a single road line instead of double. I even did it on a motorcycle once. That was beyond stupid. I couldn’t stay upright at stop lights. I was such a dirtbag! God was looking out for me and I certainly didn’t deserve it.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:05 pm

I know that the DUI ban in some US states does not rule drinking 1 or 2 beers when driving. Here in my country the tolerance is zero..if you are busted with any alcohol in your blood you pay a fine, are losing your licence for at least 6 months or more, and can get it back after passing another driving rules exam..I am not saying such strict rules are reasonable or will deter every driver from drinking. I abstain from DUI  mainly for fears of the sanctions...not that I would drink more than a beer if it were legit either.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down