Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

The 'Mattoon Quaker' Flys Cox_ba12

The 'Mattoon Quaker' Flys Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Golden Bee basic running problem
by roddie Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» Simple Gliders
by rdw777 Yesterday at 6:25 pm

» Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL
by rdw777 Yesterday at 6:11 pm

» Weird search for a single comic from an old Mad Magazine
by Kim Yesterday at 1:44 pm

» Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!.
by getback Yesterday at 7:27 am

» Cox .049 Tee Dee engines back in stock (limited availablility)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 1:05 am

» Very off-topic.........Time passes and not always for the best......
by rsv1cox Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:47 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Wed Jul 24, 2024 11:48 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:30 pm

» Throttles for Cox Tee Dee .049 / .020 / .010 engines --- videos
by sosam117 Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:54 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Admin Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:00 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Mon Jul 22, 2024 4:14 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
July-2024
robot797's

"ULTIMITE COX 010: it has a clutch, E starter, throttle, exhaust, aluminum tank, aluminum venturi, gearbox with forward and reverse, and now its on a custom drawn and printed stand"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

The 'Mattoon Quaker' Flys Empty
Live on Patrol

The 'Mattoon Quaker' Flys

Go down

Thinking The 'Mattoon Quaker' Flys

Post  Kim Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:19 pm

Awright boys and girls, overpowering my considerable skills at procrastination, I've gotten Project #1: the "Mattoon Quaker" finished and ready for it's first flight!

Purchased already built at a swap meet this past year, it's been on the "rotisserie building table" with three other planes I want to fly this summer. While it looked ready-to-go at the time, it still needed it's radio gear, a fuel tank, and control hardware installed, and I got to be in just the right mood for that stuff.

All of M.Q.'s controls have been set-up and tested, final bits of covering applied, and it's already test-run antique engine bolted on tight.

It would probably fly just fine with a healthy .049, but is packing a .15 instead, so the old dog may give those little hot-rod 'barn swallows' a run for their money at this year's S.M.A.L.L.

We shall see !!!

The 'Mattoon Quaker' Flys 2_35

The 'Mattoon Quaker' Flys 3_28

The 'Mattoon Quaker' Flys 4_23

The 'Mattoon Quaker' Flys 5_114

Last edited by Kim on Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:48 pm; edited 3 times in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Thinking Re: The 'Mattoon Quaker' Flys

Post  MauricioB Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:33 pm

Hello Kim, how are you?! ... beautiful model! ... with that fabric and in the light of lsol it becomes extremely visible, beautiful in the sky, I have experience with my mini thermal "Taladrito" that has a similar texture to yours .

Regarding your engine, I recently bought an accelerator of that style but for Medallion .049, I do not know exactly what is the difference with the regulating ring, but I wanted to have one of this type since it is part of the Cox accessories that do not I had, (I'm waiting for him).

If you march to the Cox Medallion .15, it would be interesting to see a video of how your accelerator works, I would like to see it in action.
Congratulations friend and thanks for sharing.

The 'Mattoon Quaker' Flys Tala310
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:33 pm

Hey Mauricio,
I'm doing very well, and hope you are also. I have run the engine on a test stand, but took only still photographs at the time. I'll be running the engine on the plane very soon, and will post a video of the throttle working.
Thnak you for you comment!
Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Thinking RE: The Mattoon Quaker is back ..

Post  66 Malibu Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:29 pm

Great model Kim !!!
Can't wait to see your flying video and learning how well the slide throttle works on the Medallion .15..

Steve............
66 Malibu
66 Malibu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:17 pm

Sometimes I wonder if the the funnier the name the more you are drawn to it.

Mattoon Quaker lol
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:55 am

Lovely little devil Kim. Ugly nose on that critter though. I can see you remotely dropping boxes of Quaker Oats to the kids in the peanut gallery.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:57 am

Hey Kim! Congratulations on winning-out over procrastination! That can be tough to do. Just yesterday I overcame it... and set-up a bench-test for running an experimental "reed".. only to be thwarted by a sudden rain-shower as soon as I had all my gear outdoors.. Rolling Eyes

The framework on your "MQ" is beautiful!! Best of luck with the maiden! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:35 am

Steve............Great model Kim !!!
Can't wait to see your flying video and learning how well the slide throttle works on the Medallion .15..

Ron............Sometimes I wonder if the the funnier the name the more you are drawn to it.

Bob.....Mattoon Quaker lol Lovely little devil Kim. Ugly nose on that critter though. I can see you remotely dropping boxes of Quaker Oats to the kids in the peanut gallery.

Roddie... Hey Kim! Congratulations on winning-out over procrastination! That can be tough to do. Just yesterday I overcame it... and set-up a bench-test for running an experimental "reed".. only to be thwarted by a sudden rain-shower as soon as I had all my gear outdoors.. Rolling Eyes

The framework on your "MQ" is beautiful!! Best of luck with the maiden!

Thanks Guys!

Yeah, I've got some fairly colorful names for these things...figured on this one to ut it in the name of the Illinois town where i bought it.

The nose IS incredibly homely, so much that it reminds me of that RTF P-51(Comet?) that has it's .049 mounted to the very nose of the airframe where the prop should be. I'll just pretend that it's "The Turbine-Mod Version". It'll probably be replaced with a shorter, more attractive snout when I try other engines that don't have to have all that space for the sliding
cylinder/throttle.

I'm always dealing with the whole procrastination thing...though I can occasionally 'trick myself by saying, 'Just gonna put a few tools back where they belong...maybe saw a stick or two', then catch the fever to actually do something.

Gonna put it in the air the first time the weather tries to work with me.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:35 pm

Beautiful sunshine, but blustery winds meant no test flight.  Still, the engine runs went great.   Had to 'pressure flush' the spray bar, but everything was cool after that.  Bottom end is in the high 6k's, with it topping out just over 11k.  Think the low end is mechanically limited, so I may do some hole swapping on the servo arm.

Running on Sig Champion 15%, with an 8-4 wooden prop.  Got a short video of it running:

The 'Mattoon Quaker' Flys 1_124

The 'Mattoon Quaker' Flys 2_117

The 'Mattoon Quaker' Flys 3_29

The 'Mattoon Quaker' Flys 4_24

The 'Mattoon Quaker' Flys 6_23

The 'Mattoon Quaker' Flys 6_119

The 'Mattoon Quaker' Flys 7_19

https://youtu.be/d9xK4XNwNzg
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:12 pm

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:43 pm

Kim wrote:

Hello Kim, I see that everything there is going very well, the accelerator great !. Tell me you can stop the engine by closing all the throttle, that is, it is like the ring - ring, that if you close the engine stops, here is a minimum or can you close until it stops?
Very interesting, thanks for taking the time and sharing here.
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Thinking RE:The Mattoon Quaker

Post  66 Malibu Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:26 pm

Kim..
Great video !!! The slide throttle set up seemed to have a real nice transition up and down..
I totally loved the growl of the .15 instead of the scream of the smaller Cox marvels...
Betcha you'll have ball with it when the weather co-operates...
Thanks for sharing.................
Steve..............
66 Malibu
66 Malibu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:56 am

Mauricio.....Hello Kim, I see that everything there is going very well, the accelerator great !. Tell me you can stop the engine by closing all the throttle, that is, it is like the ring - ring, that if you close the engine stops, here is a minimum or can you close until it stops?
Very interesting, thanks for taking the time and sharing here.

Hey Mauricio,

I could not stop the engine with the throttle as currently set up, but I believe with some adjustments to the servo throw, I should be able to do that.  Like most flyers, I use the throttle trim adjusted to allow me to bring the throttle back to it's lowest idle, then pull back the trim to stop the engine...this is the set-up I'd like for the Quaker.

Thank you for your post and good luck with your engine!
   Kim

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steve..............Great video !!! The slide throttle set up seemed to have a real nice transition up and down..
I totally loved the growl of the .15 instead of the scream of the smaller Cox marvels...
Betcha you'll have ball with it when the weather co-operates...
Thanks for sharing.................

Thanks Steve!
Yeah, I also like these engines, and have made work horses out of the three that have powered my 3M B.O.T.
I'm REALLY looking forward to getting this pup on 'The Active Ramp', clearing some space on my table for it's siblings!
It's always fun posting these things (and reading those of other member's) in the best 'Flying Club' on the internet!
Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:07 am

Clapping Clapping That sounds Great !! The transition is smooth, it should carry that Oatmeal around nicely !! Thumbs Up
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:54 am

Thanks Kim for the answers about the engine, when I receive my accessory I will also share my experience with you.
Kim, forgive my ignorance, but what is it or what is the Mattoon Quaker? ..... here is a product that is consumed a lot ... oats.
Greetings, Mauricio.
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:48 pm

MauricioB wrote:Thanks Kim for the answers about the engine, when I receive my accessory I will also share my experience with you.
Kim, forgive my ignorance, but what is it or what is the Mattoon Quaker? ..... here is a product that is consumed a lot ... oats.
Greetings, Mauricio.

Thanks Mauricio!

I'm looking forward to your post on how your engine works!

The name 'Mattoon Quaker' is just an attempt at humor on my part.  When I bought the airplane at a Swap Meet a few month ago, I wasn't sure what it was, name-wise, but decided it did resemble the old timer models called "Quakers"...thus the reference to 'Quaker Oats', and the logo that most of us have known since our childhoods.  That picture will eventually end up in the plane's cockpit!

'Mattoon' is the name of the city in Illinois where the Swap Meet was held so, 'Mattoon Quaker' sort of sounded cool to me.

Speaking of which, MQ got it's first two flight today, in some rocky air, and survived!  It's rudder has a very strong aileron effect, rolling in and out of turns very cleanly.  I was running out of 'up' elevator on it's first landing, so I moved the battery to the rear of the cockpit to move the CG back a little bit--not too often that happens with my machines !!!

The turbulence spilling over the hill was just tossing the plane around too much (for me), so I shut down after the second flight.

As expected, the Medallion .15 was MORE than enough engine, and I'll be cruising around at half-throttle most of the time.

Looks like it will get a little 'belly surgery' since the screws for the landing gear brackets are just anchored in the balsa longerons.  Gonna have to put hardwood block in there eventually.

So---full power--a little forward trim---and LOOK OUT BARN SWALLOWS !!!

The 'Mattoon Quaker' Flys 2_118

The 'Mattoon Quaker' Flys 1_32

The 'Mattoon Quaker' Flys 5_22

The 'Mattoon Quaker' Flys 8_15

The 'Mattoon Quaker' Flys 15_112

The 'Mattoon Quaker' Flys 12_13

The 'Mattoon Quaker' Flys 3_114

Last edited by Kim on Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:07 pm

Great job. Looks like the Quaker had a good flight overall. I like the sliding throttle on the Medallion too!
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:23 am

NEW222 wrote:Great job. Looks like the Quaker had a good flight overall. I like the sliding throttle on the Medallion too!

Thanks Man !!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:09 am

I wish I had your flying skills way back when Kim.

Me with a perfectly balanced and tuned non-aggressive model and all over the air. And you with flight inhibiting and balance disrupting add-ons maintaining control in rough air.

It's a gift. You must be holding your mouth just right. Smile

Bob

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Thinking RE: The Mattoon Quaker is back ..

Post  66 Malibu Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:52 am

Kim...Great job !!!!
To me, seeing your vids/pics, or even seeing a plane like that in person puts a big smile on my face !!!
For my part, that's the allure of model airplanes and model airplane engines as a really fun hobby !!!!
Looking forward to watching you have a lot of fun .......
Steve.............
66 Malibu
66 Malibu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:39 am

66 Malibu wrote:Kim...Great job !!!!
To me, seeing your vids/pics, or even seeing a plane like that in person puts a big smile on my face !!!
For my part, that's the allure of model airplanes and model airplane engines as a really fun hobby !!!!
Steve.............

Ditto!! I also like those balloon-tires! Did they allow a ROG take-off; along with the extra power of the .15? I wonder now; whether you'll be able to re-adjust the throttle/linkage for lower-idle.. now that less top-end is needed?
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:21 pm

Wow, I’m watching the snow melt and Kim’s talking about cutting Runway grass!  What a cool plane. Really like the selfie sticks for photo reconnaissance!  That throttle is smooth too. Did the color of the plane help in selecting the name? I see a slight resemblance to the man on the can colors to the fuse ?
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:25 pm

Hey Kim, who knows, maybe one day we fly together! Very Happy Thumbs Up

The 'Mattoon Quaker' Flys Foto0810
The 'Mattoon Quaker' Flys Foto0811
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:04 am

Thanks again for all the great compliments guys!

Yes Mauricio, it would be great if we could someday fly together! Perhaps a future S.M.A.L.L. Event or another meeting of C.E.F. members!

Hey Marleysky! My grass mowing got put off by a minor snowstorm! We're supposed to have temps in the 70's later this week, so the old mower will get it's first workout. The colors of the plane and logo are just a happy coincidence, though I DO like the red and black schemes, especially on older designs.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
roddie on Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:39 pm

66 Malibu wrote:
Kim...Great job !!!!
Steve.............

Ditto!! I also like those balloon-tires! Did they allow a ROG take-off; along with the extra power of the .15? I wonder now; whether you'll be able to re-adjust the throttle/linkage for lower-idle.. now that less top-end is needed?
------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks Steve! I DO enjoy this stuff quite a bit, and it's great to have this forum to share these thing with guys of a similar view! I looking forward to getting the power settings to where they'll allow the low & slow passes a lot of us like.

Yeah Roddie, the plane took a good amount of the front yard to get airborne, but made it...this will happen a lot faster once the grass is mowed!
I'm going to adjust the throttle some more. It's true that I've got all the top end rpm I need, and would like to be able to shut down the engine if I need to, so a little tweaking is in order.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's the video I assembled from the footage taken on it's second flight. I guess I didn't leave the cameras on charge long enough (got a bit antsy), because one quit before takeoff, and the other only recorded half the flight. Still got a little footage though.

We'll try to plan the next one a little better.

Thanks again Guys !!

https://youtu.be/NhVYlxtKt5c
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:14 am

WOW it dont take much more than an ideal to keep it airborne ! That's fantastic . Love the ride along taking off Laughing Thanks as Always Kim ! I Love This Forum!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down