Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Testors 049 Cox_ba12

Testors 049 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by balogh Today at 12:55 am

» Original Box for P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer Value
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 11:09 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Yesterday at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:08 pm

» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by fit90 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Yesterday at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Yesterday at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:46 pm

» Re-manufactured Enya .06-II for Boats13
by Boats13 Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:32 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Testors 049 Empty
Live on Patrol

Testors 049

Go down

Help! Testors 049

Post  SkyStreak Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:33 pm

Can anyone tell me if the cyl and head from a "pipebomb" testors engine will interchange with the Mcoy 049?
I seem to have misplaced my Mcoy 049 or I would check for myself.
SkyStreak
SkyStreak
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Help! Re: Testors 049

Post  Marleysky Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:05 pm

SkyStreak wrote:Can anyone tell me if the cyl and head from a "pipebomb" testors engine will interchange with the Mcoy 049?
I seem to have misplaced my Mcoy 049 or I would check for myself.

Yup, they do. If yours look like these:
Testors 049 705a1810

Sometimes the crank has the pin in a different position, but if you are just swapping p/c should be
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:56 am

Testors 049 M-80_s10
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:31 pm

Mark Boesen wrote:Testors 049 M-80_s10

Back in 1966, as a 12 YO, I saw one of those M-80's go off. They were indeed more powerful than a cherry bomb.  Shocked But as a 12 YO on a meager allowance, I purchased a half dozen cherry bombs instead. Still, they were definitely more powerful than a standard firecracker. Later in life, mischievous boys at my rural high school in Hawaii would flush cherry bombs down the toilet, blowing out the sidewall of it. (I graduated from a rough high school. Doh! )

As the last .049 that Testor made, according to Peter Chinn, the 8000 series reed valve engine, from which their RTF "pipe bomb" engine is based on, was definitely a hot one. Shocked

Sceptre Flight Model Engine Tests: Testor 8000 (2)

Peter Chinn wrote:Compared with the engine that it has replaced (the Testor McCoy 049), the 8000 was found to be considerably more powerful, with a maximum torque of 6.0 oz. in. at 11,000 rpm and a gross bhp (less silencer) of .094 at 18,000. This is very good indeed for what is basically a sport type reed-valve 049. In terms of prop speeds, the engine turned its own 5-1/2x3-1/2 Testor at 14,200 rpm. Other figures included 13,400 on a 6x4 Top Flite nylon, 13,900 on a 5-1/2x4 Cox grey nylon, 14,800 on a 6x3 Tornado nylon, 15,200 on a 6x3 Cox grey nylon, 15,700 on a 6x3 Top Flite nylon and 16,300 on a 5-1/4x4 Top Flite nylon.

Result was obtained on 15% nitro content fuel. Contrast this with the Cox .049 Black Widow:

Sceptre Flight Model Engine Tests: Cox Black Widow

Peter Chinn wrote:The Black Widow is intended for operation on fuels of a medium nitro rating - i.e. about 15 percent nitromethane. Using such a fuel, our test motor recorded a maximum torque of just over 6 oz.in. at around 9,000 r.p.m. and a peak output of nearly .08 b.h.p. at between 15,000 and 15,550 r.p.m. These are quite good figures for a 'sport' type .049 and are reflected in some useful prop speeds on various props.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:38 am

Not only is top end interchangeable, needle valve (although a bit stumpy) works in any Wen_Mac or Testor-Mac FRV. and Rotomatic starter parts are interchangeable will all late version Testor-Mac FRVs. Springs can be made to work in anything. And if you do machine shop work, you can also do some cool experiments on re-timing and re-porting the solid un-relieved crankshafts found in many of the pipe bombs for use in FRV Testor-Macs and Men Macs. You will find all kinds of strange crankshafts in these pipe bombs though if you tear down enough of them. I've found at least four or five permutations of crankshafts so far.
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  faif2d Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:49 am

I think that Wild Bill Netzband had a hand in the design. He was VERY smart and a nice guy as well.
faif2d
faif2d
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Yak-Nine Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:29 am

I have a testors cosmic wind that was purchased around 1982 at KB toy & Hobby on sale for $9.99 It would not fly from a hand launch for more than a half lap. I am planning a better prop a new head with a turbo plug and Nitro to see if it will do any better. It sure was cool looking all black with purple & orange lightning bolts Smile TJ
Yak-Nine
Yak-Nine
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:00 am

Hey Yak-Nine, sorry we missed you. Welcome to the forum.

Good luck with the Cosmic Wind. I'm surprised it didn't fly. It should have at least gone round & round.

Personally, if the head still glows I wouldn't change it out for an adaptor. A better prop should help, as should a hearty dose of nitro. I'd use nothing less than 25%. Make sure it's well broken in before you attempt to fly. If it flew that poorly I'm betting it never got much run time.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:49 am

I wonder what Yak-Nine's altitude MSL is.
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  YakNine Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:14 pm

altitude was at 105 feet , I know because my flying buddy was the FBO's son Smile . We flew lots of little CL planes mostly Goldbergs and Sterlings with Black Widows and Baby Bee's and were very active in our 4H model Airplane club until Cars and Girls took over our lives Lol. I ran a lot of fuel through that thing and Im gonna have to clean it up when it gets warm again and try a better prop and more Nitro. I got back into the hobby about 6 years ago, I fly for fun but I'm an engine guy at heart I must have around 200 at this point from little .020's to .61's
YakNine
YakNine
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:30 pm

I have a Cosmic Wind, fuselage and engine no wing. Won't get off the ground either. Smile

My son flew our Cox powered Baby Ringmaster in Denver, the mile high city. Flew the same as it did at Pax River Maryland at maybe 15 feet.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:33 pm

Yak-Nine wrote:I have a testors cosmic wind that was purchased around 1982 at KB toy & Hobby on sale for $9.99 It would not fly from a hand launch for more than a half lap. I am planning a better prop a new head with a turbo plug and Nitro to see if it will do any better. It sure was cool looking all black with purple & orange lightning bolts Smile TJ
There was a short period where Testors was selling RTF's with a fuel position valve instead of a needle valve. Problem was the manufactured valve did not perform as well as the prototype valve by engineering. It was shortly dropped and reverted back to the needle valve system.

Could your aircraft be one of those with a fuel position valve?

If it was recent that you ran your Cosmic Wind, could also be the glow head has gone bad. In the past glow head and glow plug manufacturers ran into supplier quality problems with the element wire supplied. The platinum, iridium or other rare element earth metals would somehow become unstable losing their catalytic action with methanol fuel.

Leroy Cox had a problem with glow heads from one of his subcontractors. Swanson Associates had some bad wire supplied to them also. I bought a card of their defective Fireball Red plugs on E-Bay may be 5 years ago. They'd work fine for a day or two. A week or two later, they'd glow, but fuel would barely fizz, the engine acted like it was trying to start, but just wouldn't crank up. Yet a new plug from the batch would cause it to fire up right away.

But I had no problem with their plugs of the 1970's, always fired up without a problem. And Bob, my apologies, I was composing my message while you sent yours.

Me begins to think that the Testors quality assurance curses Mad plagued Wen Mac and McCoy products throughout their lifespan. Huh... lol!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:45 pm

Yak-Nine wrote:I have a testors cosmic wind that was purchased  around 1982 at KB toy & Hobby on sale for $9.99 It would not fly from a hand launch for more than a half lap. I am planning a better prop a new head with a turbo plug and Nitro to see if it will do any better. It sure was cool looking all black with purple & orange lightning bolts Smile TJ

Hi there "Yak-Nine"  Hand Shake

Here's some photos that I got from Google Images a while back..

Testors 049 D315_110

Note; the "Zip-Starter".. I assume that your model had this option..?

Testors 049 Zip-st10

The 1/2A RTF Cosmic Wind models are very cool-looking in my opinion, but under-powered. I wish you the best of luck with your engine-mods.

You may want to try tuning your engine for an APC 4.75" x 4" propeller. The APC prop is rigid.. and will stay true to its' pitch when running-up into the engines' power-band.

Testors 049 Shippi10

Shown below on my Cox .049 engine..

Testors 049 4_75_i10
Testors 049 Apc_pr10

I needed to enlarge the bore in the props' "hub" to accommodate the Coxes' 5-40 machine (prop) screw; along with a self-centering bushing made from a short piece of silicone fuel tubing.

Testors 049 Apc_pr11

Unlike the Cox .049 engines which use prop-screws; the McCoy/Testors .049 engines utilize a (larger diameter) 6-32 threaded stud at the nose of their crankshafts. A 6-32 "nut and flat-washer" secure the propeller to the engine. I'm sure that you'll be able to make it all work! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:00 pm

Wow, that Cosmic Wind brings back memories. That was my very first plane I attempted to fly. My dad bought it from the son of a family friend back when I was 9 - 11 years old which would be 1987 - 1990. Had a try at it once in our back yard which backed on to a field. No go on take-off. So off to the community center parking lot a few houses away. Dad started it and I was at the handle. He let it go, it took off well, then started climbing and diving faster and faster till she hit ground zero and popped apart. Picked it up and went home. Dad bought a new prop and I can't remember about the spinner, but I know that it was smashed. While apart, I remember dad drilling a hole in teh bellcrank and screwing it 'close to neutral'. One more try, one more unsuccessful flight. Last I remember he still had it, but have not seen it in a while.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Yak-Nine Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:10 pm

The picture on the box is it, I will have to look to see if it has the zip starter or not, cant remember 1982 was a long time ago Smile Its a back burner project for sure, I'm amazed it was still in the attic at my parents place
Yak-Nine
Yak-Nine
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:48 pm

NEW222 wrote:Wow, that Cosmic Wind brings back memories. That was my very first plane I attempted to fly. My dad bought it from the son of a family friend back when I was 9 - 11 years old which would be 1987 - 1990. Had a try at it once in our back yard which backed on to a field. No go on take-off. So off to the community center parking lot a few houses away. Dad started it and I was at the handle. He let it go, it took off well, then started climbing and diving faster and faster till she hit ground zero and popped apart. Picked it up and went home. Dad bought a new prop and I can't remember about the spinner, but I know that it was smashed. While apart, I remember dad drilling a hole in teh bellcrank and screwing it 'close to neutral'. One more try, one more unsuccessful flight. Last I remember he still had it, but have not seen it in a while.

Chancey.. Thanks for sharing that memory here. I don't have many childhood memories of "my" taking-part in the flying of models. Reading "your" story is endearing.. because there "was" a significant amount of aero-modelling going-on in my family when I was a young boy; back in the 1960's. I didn't get involved (.. or show much interest..) until much later in life, as an adult. It was however with my dad; for which I'm thankful.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:16 pm

And to add. Mine did have the zip starter and I remewmber using it. However, I do vaguely remember seeing it broken many years ago and do not think my dad would have kept it.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:01 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:
There was a short period where Testors was selling RTF's with a fuel position valve instead of a needle valve. Problem was the manufactured valve did not perform as well as the prototype valve by engineering. It was shortly dropped and reverted back to the needle valve system.

Could your aircraft be one of those with a fuel position valve?

The valve you talk about was only used on some reed valve engines.  I'm pretty sure the Cosmic Wind used the front intake Testors/McCoy beam mount engine.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Yak-Nine Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:34 am

mine was definetly a reedie, I should be over at my Mom's this weekend I will have to check on the Zip starter Smile
Yak-Nine
Yak-Nine
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:10 am

Thats interesting it has a zip starter i have seen them in pictures but not anyone using it or were would you put it through to keep tinchion ? Smile
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:39 am

If you look at the second picture roddie posted you can see the spot. It is in between the cylinder and propeller. The cutout at top center. Carefully push the yellow starter down and watch the prop go in reverse. Then when ready, a steady firm pull up would start the engine.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  YakNine Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:58 am

Yak-Nine wrote:mine was definetly a reedie, I should be over at my Mom's this weekend I will have to check on the Zip starter Smile
Well I checked and it is set up for the zip Starter but I don't have a clue where that ended up Sad TJ
YakNine
YakNine
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down