Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

[solved]WOW They came!!!! - Page 2 Cox_ba12

[solved]WOW They came!!!! - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Anzac Day!
by Boats13 Today at 11:03 pm

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by sosam117 Today at 10:41 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 10:20 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

[solved]WOW They came!!!! - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

[solved]WOW They came!!!!

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Shocked Re: [solved]WOW They came!!!!

Post  944_Jim Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:01 pm

Hey "Regular"...you want me to keep my eye open? Laughing
It is somewhere in the new 5.75'x8' Hobby Closet (wife wanted the kits, planes, dope, sawdust out of the house):
[solved]WOW They came!!!! - Page 2 Img_2088
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:10 pm

Back in the early 1970's as a high school student, I took a postage stamp engine, enlarged a 3 view of a Grumman F4F Wildcat to 18" wingspan and made a profile version of it. I probably have a photo of all my half-A CL's mounted to the ceiling of my bedroom somewhere. I used the black sheet steel from a Polaroid instant photo cartridge to make engine mounts. I trimmed the red plastic back flanges off. But I made a slight difference. Instead of mounting per the proto speed version where stream lined, I bent the flanges 90 degrees so it could mount flat on the bulkhead. This was before I knew about the GB EB-1 mount.

Later when I entered the working world courtesy of Uncle Sam, bought me 2 EB-1 mounts for my postage stamp engines.

And yes, regarding costs, I've seen the crazy prices people are now asking for those NOS in the package EB-1 mounts, from $20 to $40 for them. Unless you are a museum procurator where people help fund your museum and you must have it or unless you have a lot of disposable income, I consider such prices are outrageous. You can get a decent tanked reedy engines for those prices.

However, occasionally the postage stamp engines come up with the EB-1 already mounted for a song and with both in decent shape. Then that is the time to get them. Else, I'd opt for the "Venom" style modified horseshoe back and go that route, or if performance isn't a huge issue, then a regular Sure Start back. Or better yet, get a back mounted tank kit (or roll your own from cobbled Cox parts).

(Looking at the Medallion on the test stand), Jim, I hope you aren't the one whose been running up their engines on YouTube inside the Laundry Room. Wink drunken Beer Cheers
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:01 pm

GG, nope. Not me. That's a .09 Medallion. I got two for $50 delivered via FB's Cox Engines For Sale group. Paid a little too much, but hoped for the best. Now I'm in to them for two venturi bodies, one used P&C, a spray bar c-clip, a ball joint reset tool, two glowplug gaskets...and for grins, a pair of mufflers. After paying for mufflers, I sure hope the P&C's aren't SPI! I still need to clean them up and run them.
I'm curious to see how they compare to my Norvel BigMig .074s.

If the P&C's are SPI, anybody have a pair of NON-SPI cylinders for cheap? Otherwise I'll sell the mufflers off.
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:23 pm

944_Jim wrote:GG, nope. Not me.

Sorry, I was being a little facetious. There was one YouTube poster who was running up his engines on a test stand on top the dryer in what appeared to be the laundry room of a house or apartment. We all gathered that it was apparent he wasn't married, with a basket full of clothes on top the washer nearby. I've run engines in my 2 car garage during winter with the vehicles out. Even the half-A's like the .049 OK Cubs put out enough of a fog that I had to open the garage door and back door to air out the fog after a run. Glow fuel isn't much different than cooking vapors and I could sense even after washing of smelling burnt methanol. Don't want to the the fog settle as it will coat everything it touches.

That's a .09 Medallion. I got two for $50 delivered via FB's Cox Engines For Sale group. Paid a little too much, but hoped for the best. Now I'm in to them for two venturi bodies, one used P&C, a spray bar c-clip, a ball joint reset tool, two glowplug gaskets...and for grins, a pair of mufflers. After paying for mufflers, I sure hope the P&C's aren't SPI!

I got one of the later .09 R/C's, has the later metal rotating muffler exhaust choke throttle ring and not the fancy earlier one with the rotating venturi spray bar linked to the sliding exhaust baffle. The engine has SPI, so it will be weaker in power than I imagine the later ones without SPI. The puff of fresh air to equalize the slight vacuum in the crankcase and increase air-fuel charge density is now diluting the air-fuel charge with inert exhaust gases. I bought the engine to mount in my 1959 Berkeley Impulse rudder only (will make it 3 channel). It is small enough to fit between the narrow cheek cowls. (Rest of my .09's and .10's are too wide, won't fit. Plane originally used a Fox .09 Rocket side port.) Since it has a 46" wingspan, it should provide enough power for it even with this disadvantage.

Don't have any of the latest P/C's, so can't comment. Yes, those would be preferred as they would make the Medallion more powerful when muffled. I'd be better off with an older Medallion that only had the throttle ring and not muffled. There, SPI still works decently.

I still need to clean them up and run them. I'm curious to see how they compare to my Norvel BigMig .074s.

Jim, I can't vouch for how well the .09 Medallion compares with the Big Mig .074s, since I don't own one. - George
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MBT85 Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:00 am

Thanks heaps guys I’m on my way to work so this will be short.
If anybody does find one please let me know, I’m looking too but they are few and far between these plastic mountings.
I’m so busy it’s just crazy at the moment so I’m trying to keep up to date but it’s hard.
I do really appreciate everything everybody has done for me here your efforts won’t be forgotten and your generosity is amazing, again if I can help or do anything for anyone here please don’t hesitate to ask
MBT85
MBT85
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:26 am

Matt , PM me your address i am going to send you a Christmas Present Brother !! Small Cox Logo Babe Bee .049 Small Cox Logo Bad Xmas Gift Rudolph Christmas Tree Rudolph
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:03 pm

Matt.
When you can work it to come for a drive to Drouin let me know. I'm happy to pass on what I can.  I can probably help you out with not only info but maybe a gasket and reed or two.  May even have a spare Cox spanner.  I've got fuel on-hand so bring the engines and I can help you fire them up.

BUT, give me some notice and don't expect a clean professional workshop.  I've got to say, all my model stuff is shoved in the corner of my shed and will take a bit of tidying up after a couple of years of neglect.  I'll get around to sorting it out one day.  As it is, I'm too embarrassed to let people in there. Embarassed

The untidy Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  MBT85 Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:39 pm

Thank you getback I just PM’d you, if you want I’ll pay for it whatever it may be your sending me??

Rod- I will definitely give you time, at the moment I’m working 6 days, have 5 children and a very temperamental partner. It will most likely be after Christmas, probably in the New Year so I’ll have a few more engines to bring along for the ride.
I do look forward to meeting up with you, and don’t worry about a messy workshop, I was standing in mine the other day looking at my mess. One day I’ll get the shelves and such.
MBT85
MBT85
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:49 am

Matt. You might find this interesting.

Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:21 am

Oldenginerod wrote:Matt.
When you can work it to come for a drive to Drouin let me know. I'm happy to pass on what I can.  I can probably help you out with not only info but maybe a gasket and reed or two.  May even have a spare Cox spanner.  I've got fuel on-hand so bring the engines and I can help you fire them up.

BUT, give me some notice and don't expect a clean professional workshop.  I've got to say, all my model stuff is shoved in the corner of my shed and will take a bit of tidying up after a couple of years of neglect.  I'll get around to sorting it out one day.  As it is, I'm too embarrassed to let people in there. Embarassed

The untidy Rod.

Friend, your comment is great! ... Hand Shake
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:35 pm

Matt, you may also be interested in this mob, located here in OZ.

http://www.wightsmodelaircraft.com.au
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  MBT85 Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:04 am

That’s a fantastic video thanks Rod!!
And thank you for the link too!!!
I just won another 3 engines that are a little more interesting and I can’t wait to get them!!! I’ll be sure to post when they arrive but I’m not holding my breath for postage times due to the silly season.
Thank you again!!!!
MBT85
MBT85
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:06 am

Hello MBT85, I had seen this article, which is available in your country.
Now I read that the seller says that he is under compression, so I do not know if it is ideal for you.
Maybe you can contact the salesmen asking him questions about its operation.
I read that you were interested in a Cox .010, but in any case, you have to get one that works correctly, that is to say that its compression is very good.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/COX-TEE-DEE-01-RED-USED-WITH-PRECISION-STAND-COLLET-TOOL-AND-SPARES/264070454052?hash=item3d7bd35b24:g:hj4AAOSwySZcDdHh:rk:1🇵🇫0

According to the seller:

Cox Tee Dee 01  red and gold used engine with low compression so probably spares only together with a test stand, Collet tool for cylinder removal, piston reseating tool and a small collection of spares.

Cox Tee Dee 01 red and gold used low compression
Collet tool aluminium for removal of stubborn/stuck cylinders in a TD 01 NB FITS INSIDE THE CYLINDER AND IS THEN TIGHTENED SO EXTREME CARE NEEDED BUT DOES WORK.
2 aluminium spanners slightly more precise than a Cox spanner for use around the exhaust ports
Aluminium test stand for TD 01 mounting on one side and Pee Wee on the other - needs to be clamped in something else
3 glow heads
New Battery box and glow plug clip
6 engine mounts and 3 backing plates
1 x 2-56 driver
10 brass head gaskets
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:33 am