Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Testors McCoy .35 Blue Head RC Acquisition Cox_ba12

Testors McCoy .35 Blue Head RC Acquisition Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Today at 5:37 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Today at 4:16 pm

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by MauricioB Today at 3:43 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 12:27 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by roddie Today at 10:11 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 8:14 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Yesterday at 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Testors McCoy .35 Blue Head RC Acquisition Empty
Live on Patrol

Testors McCoy .35 Blue Head RC Acquisition

Go down

Testors McCoy .35 Blue Head RC Acquisition Empty Testors McCoy .35 Blue Head RC Acquisition

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:13 am

Just bid and won on this, was the only bidder, $15 + $8 shipping = $23 total. People are going for the control line version for some reason now. 5 years ago, one could pick up a Red Head for almost next to nothing in good condition. I can use this RC (we don't require mufflers at our flying field) or mount to a CL aircraft with throttle wired open, use like a Red Head.

E-Bay# 302986380844, 1965 McCoy 35 R/C Engine

Testors McCoy .35 Blue Head RC Acquisition Mccoy_13

Testors McCoy .35 Blue Head RC Acquisition Mccoy_14

Testors McCoy .35 Blue Head RC Acquisition Mccoy_16

This will be my first Blue Head. From photos appears to be lightly used, may be mounted at one time, will know more when it hits my doorstep.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Testors McCoy .35 Blue Head RC Acquisition Empty Re: Testors McCoy .35 Blue Head RC Acquisition

Post  rsv1cox Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:07 pm

Hmm, I don't have any blue heads George. Got a green (Torpedo) and a bunch of reds but no blue.

I bought a lot of gaskets (cheddie?) from her on ebay and some through PM's here, but she's not posting any more. If you need help in that area let me know.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Testors McCoy .35 Blue Head RC Acquisition Empty Re: Testors McCoy .35 Blue Head RC Acquisition

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:19 pm

Bob, thank you for the offer. Yes, I've dealt with Shelley Ramos and bought McCoy gasket overhaul kits from her before. Why she doesn't post here lately, don't know. Asked her a month ago on E-Bay whether she had gaskets for K&B Stallion, she said, "no". She still sells kits for McCoy's.

As far as I know, the Blue Head was Testor's RC version. Basically it is a Red Head with modified venturi area to mount a carburettor. Some came with chrome plated pistons for better longevity. I guess that with running with a throttle made the engine run hotter. At least from photos, this one is reasonably clean, chipped head paint doesn't appear burnt, may be storage drawer wear like the new never run .19 RH I got for a song a couple years ago. This will be my first Blue Head, so I will learn more once I get to examine it.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:50 pm

Engine came in today, has a stamped note on it from Post Office, "Received in damaged condition." Contents are not damaged inside. There was some oil spilled on the label, but none was seepage from inside contents. Box is not dented. Engine was wrapped well, no damage. Shipped USPS Parcel Select, it took 13 days to get here from nearby Colorado.

I hate to sound a little foolish, but reminds of warnings we received when I worked, if we see a package with oil stains on it and a few other things it could be a bomb. Affraid or WOW! It got hung up in Dallas for almost a week.

Okay, enough nonsense. Engine is NOS. Head appears to be repainted, not the original head, is crusty on top. Don't know what happened there. This engine appears to be a Red Head R/C with a blue head. Later, I'll remove the head and get a closer look. I have extra .35 heads, so this is no biggie. It shows signs of being mounted but never run, outside and what I can see inside the exhaust port is clean as a whistle. Back plate screws don't show any screwdriver tip wear. RC carb and spray bar show no signs of Castor residues. Prop nut is fully black like new, black prop washer shows no signs of prop mounting and tightening. Without a prop on, just turning the crank, appears to have like new compression.

More to come, but this is the best $23 I've spent for a "used" engine. cheers Beer Cheers Clapping
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:24 am

A slow boat from Colorado comes to mind George. Tracking numbers can be a blessing or a curse. At least you know where it is, or went.

Were it me, I would sandblast that head and get some high heat blue and keep it the same unique color.

Glad it made it to you and things turned out Ok.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:33 am

Sounds like a nice Score even if its not a Blue head ? The prices have gone up in the last year , i got a like new Redhead 23 ? at a swap meet a few years ago for 25- and he wouldn't even throw in the prop lol! I know before i run any big engines again i need to buy or repair my test stand DAMMIT!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:19 am

Thanks, Bob and Eric. Reason why I think it is a Red Head, is that the Blue Heads I've seen are the Lightning Bolt versions. Here are some recent photos of an NOS Red Head R/C on E-Bay.

Testors McCoy .35 Blue Head RC Acquisition Mccoy_18

Testors McCoy .35 Blue Head RC Acquisition Mccoy_17

Testors McCoy .35 Blue Head RC Acquisition Mccoy_20

Testors McCoy .35 Blue Head RC Acquisition Mccoy_19

Testors McCoy .35 Blue Head RC Acquisition Mccoy_21

Other than the Blue Head, which interestingly has the same blue paint on the underside of one engine bearing lug, it matches this red head totally (earlier non-lightning bolt crankcase). It appears that the blue paint under the lug was pulled off the engine bearer when engine was removed.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:33 am

That might explain why he painted the head. He wanted it to match.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:46 am

From R/C Groups, posted by "Twin Stack" AKA Bob Allan of Enya fame.

kiwi285, according to the"bible" for collectors of US made engines ( the "American Model Engine Encyclopedia") your McCoy is a 1961 model 35 Stunt. It should have a Red Head however, as the Blue Head's were only fitted to the later 1965 McCoy 35 R/C engine. This latter R/C engine had 2 visible differences to your earlier 35 Stunt, ie. the venturi was shortened considerably for fitting of the throttle, and it was also fitted with a swivelling exhaust baffle which necessitated a thicker (and flush) web in the exhaust stack for the mounting bolt. The A.M.E.E. says that only the R/C engines in the 19, 29 and 35 sizes were fitted with blue heads, so my guess is that either the blue head was retro-fitted by someone else or its one of the last engines out the factory door, when they were using up all the leftover parts. The last of these model McCoys (before the square-case Testors Series 21's) was the 1966 "Lightning Bolt" engines with that logo on the bypass.

Some of my McCoy's, sadly missing a blue head.

Testors McCoy .35 Blue Head RC Acquisition Mccoy_13

Testors McCoy .35 Blue Head RC Acquisition Mccoy_12
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:36 pm

Interesting info, Bob, makes me wonder if there were some Red Head R/C's followed by Blue Heads prior to the Lightning Bolts. There is an article on Sceptre Flight, sceptreflight.com Model Engine Tests, McCoy 35 RC. Model magazine is not shown in the article, but must be of British origin, probably Model Aircraft or Aeromodeller.

H.R. Warring, August 1964 wrote:The pressure die cast, red-enamelled cylinder head is held down by six Phillips head screws, three of which are full length and extend down into the crankcase unit.

There may have been a transitional period prior to the 1965 Lightning Bolts, where there may have been the earlier modified 1960's version. I don't know if true of all, but heard that there were Lightning Bolt Blue Heads with chromed iron pistons, which would have overcome the problem of the soft metallurgy.

It was a mild sport engine powerwise, the Enya's and OS same displacement were more powerful, better throttling and available with factory mufflers. This may explain why the engine was short lived, even with upgrades to the Lightning Bolt. For CL work, the Red Head is best operated unmuffled.

Thus, to maintain historicity, by painting the head red would maintain historical correctness. Plus, I'd have to buy blue engine paint, already have the red.
Now, I could throw caution to the wind by painting it K&B Torpedo Green. Paranoid Shh No! I Love This Forum!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:36 pm

Me too George, I had left over paint from my MG engine rebuild.

Yes, head bolts 3 long 3 short. Nasty as received but a crock pot boil cleaned it right up.

Testors McCoy .35 Blue Head RC Acquisition Mc_red10

Testors McCoy .35 Blue Head RC Acquisition Mc_red12

Testors McCoy .35 Blue Head RC Acquisition Mc_red11
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:50 pm

Bob, that Brownell's Bluing did a really nice job on the cylinder, red seems to be on spot for this engine, nice restoration.

Non-linearity of the McCoy's RC carb mentioned by H.R. Warring caught my eye. I'll know more when I bench run it.

Other RC carbs have the spray bar terminate halfway into the carb barrel throat. This one still uses the CL spray bar with single hole through the carb assembly. It is stationary with the barrel, rotating with it. Only speculating, but that may be a reason for it's lacking the smoother throttling of the other .35 engines.

If I use this engine, most likely will put it on a .35 CL with throttle wired wide open and remove the exhaust restrictor plate and linkage. Although lightweight without muffler, I don't know if I'd want to try it on an RC. CL flies close to the ground and so sound doesn't carry as far. RC flying a couple hundred feet up projects noise further. Then too, someone may sell a custom venturi for it, which will convert it to CL nicely.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down