Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Adam-12 . Electric, Radio Control conversion Cox_ba12

Adam-12 . Electric, Radio Control conversion Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by OVERLORD Today at 2:20 pm

» Tired of it all…
by Ken Cook Today at 8:04 am

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Today at 7:41 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:46 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Adam-12 . Electric, Radio Control conversion Empty
Live on Patrol

Adam-12 . Electric, Radio Control conversion

Go down

Adam-12 . Electric, Radio Control conversion Empty Adam-12 . Electric, Radio Control conversion

Post  Frizzen Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:52 pm

This is a 1972 AMC Matador sedan from the tv show 'Adam 12'.
Originally built by Cox as a gas powered free-run car with interchangable steering cams that made it drive patterns. Originally owned by my dad, stored for quite a while.

Let's try to ruin the collector value! i mean try to improve on it a bit.

Adam-12 . Electric, Radio Control conversion OBtKwFjl

Adam-12 . Electric, Radio Control conversion K9Cs93Bl

Adam-12 . Electric, Radio Control conversion KqTSiZVl

Stripped the chassis
Adam-12 . Electric, Radio Control conversion HNERmzPl

She may not be the new Bluesmobile, but i think it's going to work out ok. As found it was missing 2 headlight lenses, and a lightbar lens. But I can work aound that...

I wasn't around when these were, so i needed some help on lighting patterns. I grew up mostly with CrownVics with a red/blue lightbar up to the current lumen-wars night-blindness causing dangerous walls of light.
Learned that the forward facing red roof lights come on solid, the rear amber lights wigwag around 1 Hz. Nothing else fancy with the lights.

Anyway, some research later i found out the tail lights are wrong. 1972 should have 9 segments, 4 red, 1 white, 4 red. This has 7 segment all red, so i guess it should probably be 3-1-3. Or i'll leave it all red and pretend it's not wrong because i'm not a rivet counter. Don't look at me like that!

Roof lights are chrome version of either: Trio sales T-2, S&M lamp 757, Highway Safety 1757. Siren is a Federal Signal PA20A, through a Federal Signal CP-25 speaker.

Start off doing the *really* important work on this soon to be radio controlled car that doesn't move...

Adam-12 . Electric, Radio Control conversion H6RfYXll

A pair of 3mm leds, magnet wire, a 0.028 drillbit, and an excessive amount of patience later, i
have exhausted the swear words i know.

Adam-12 . Electric, Radio Control conversion F1GpnhHl

Copy 1-adam-12, code 3
Adam-12 . Electric, Radio Control conversion EZHmg3Sl

Adam-12 . Electric, Radio Control conversion YceRs43l

Needs more flashy lights!
Adam-12 . Electric, Radio Control conversion Ij8gujBl

But you're probably asking yourself, why would i make a 1/14 scale RC police car?

Adam-12 . Electric, Radio Control conversion 5a9nH1Xl

Adam-12 . Electric, Radio Control conversion G1dVy75l

That was in Jan 2018. At that meet, my friend with the gmc crackerbox holmes 550 wrecker took some parts back with him and machined the adapters to mate my donor transaxle to original wheels.

Several failed mount ideas later...
Adam-12 . Electric, Radio Control conversion 9NtE2AAl
6 channel rx, 10a esc, micro servo, 6cell nimh. Hacked servo board running the led body lights.

Then in August we were patrolling the warehouse district at the Lebabon IN "Back to the Fifties'' festival
Adam-12 . Electric, Radio Control conversion GuW9uGJl

1adam12, 1adam12 vehicle accident with roll-over, entrapment.

Adam-12 . Electric, Radio Control conversion TjIsLubl

Then one day I took it to work one day to show a friend and managed to lose one of my tail light lenses, hopefully it's somewhere in the house or real car.

I need to pick up a radio switched channel circuit, so i can setup the roof lights correctly. When activated Reds to be on solid, Ambers alternate flash.
Also needing to get a sound module, which might need seperate remote switch. Thinking i need this one
https://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/products/police-siren-diecast

I've thought about trying to fit a full light controller system that runs turnsignals, brake lights, and other stuff correctly while driving, but i'm probably not going to so i can avoid installing front signals, reverse lights, high beams, plate light. Plus the chassis is getting a little tight

I need a taillight lens if anyone has a Matador parts car.
I also have parts that came off it, in case anyone needs them.

Last edited by Frizzen on Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Title)
Frizzen
Frizzen
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Adam-12 . Electric, Radio Control conversion Empty Re: Adam-12 . Electric, Radio Control conversion

Post  Ken Cook Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:06 pm

The lights look terrific, you did a great job making that realistic. Nicely done I must say. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Adam-12 . Electric, Radio Control conversion Empty Re: Adam-12 . Electric, Radio Control conversion

Post  rsv1cox Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:40 am

"Let's try to ruin the collector value! I mean try to improve on it a bit."

My motto. Smile

Interesting bit of technology. Looks like fun times.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Frizzen Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:00 pm

Thanks guys,
'Ruin the collector value' is usually more fun, plus if you do it right even some of the collectors can appriciate the changes. Plus i try not to go after New In Box or Good condition stuff.

Little high revving 2-stroke constantly trying to smoke the tires didn't really seem to fit the police car all that much. It's now running a 130 size Electric motor through a gearbox with a spool diff, which is still more than able to put out more power than the old tires can take, or to drive it hard enough it just understeers. I've got the throttle end point adjustment set down below 50% to keep it controllable foor indoor events.

The body needs some of the White redone, nitro wasn't kind to it. Unfortunately i don't want to ditch the door decals, so i can't hit all the paint together. I'm going to touch up the chrome with a Molotow liquidchrome pen. I'm aiming for as close to realistic as possible.

Once i get the rest of my electronics all squared away, I've also been considering modifiing the chassis to add front suspension, or atleast putting an H-plate in the rear. I'm also thinking about making a cross-brace between rear fenders to help support the back of the body, probably with some velcro so the body doesnt jump.

Also been thinking an Action Van, Baja Bug, or Jeep would be fun to mess with too. I know the van was same chassis but with side-pipes and different wheels, and i like custom vans.

Last edited by Frizzen on Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot)
Frizzen
Frizzen
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Frizzen Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:31 pm

Took it up to the RC Truck and Construction meet.

Adam-12 . Electric, Radio Control conversion X1C8gmbl

Adam-12 . Electric, Radio Control conversion XVE9dY1l

Adam-12 . Electric, Radio Control conversion XElxu84l

Adam-12 . Electric, Radio Control conversion 5ANmJA4l

I let my ambulance steal the show in that pic because it's got a more impressive lighting setup, and since i run both of them from the same transmitter i couldn't power up both recievers. Besides the ambulance may need to leave in a hurry, while Adam-12 would be out of service on the scene until the incident was over and paperwork was done.

At one point there was a police chase involving a blue Semi that was going on a rampage. The chase ended without incident when the perpitrators father took the transmitter away from him and took him into custody.
Frizzen
Frizzen
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Frizzen Sat May 11, 2019 6:19 pm

The whole time i've had the car, I'd been bummed about the ruined white paint, but i found out Iso-alcohol got the old gas schmoo cleaned off pretty easily. I can fix chipped easier.

Adam-12 . Electric, Radio Control conversion NzueYSkh

So in celebration, it got chromed wiper arms. Then since the best looking cop car wheel setup is black steelies with dogbowls/babymoons and beauty rings, i added the set of chrome rings.

Adam-12 . Electric, Radio Control conversion 4EdiJIBh

I knocked together a rear strut-tower brace, which is more of a rear body support and package tray through the back window. I'm probably going to punch the on/off switch up through it if i can find some kind of 'cop junk' like a hat or gun to make into a switch hider.
Frizzen
Frizzen
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat May 11, 2019 7:26 pm

Pretty neat. I like the whole show.

Thanks for sharing.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun May 12, 2019 11:06 am

Good Fun man , you guys got it going on with the inside show , chases lights and Friends Clapping Clapping Clapping Clapping
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun May 12, 2019 4:44 pm

What a cool hobby, I love it!
We have a guy who's seriously into plastic modeling(mostly static, I think) that frequently visits our weekly Aeromodelers' Video Hangouts show. He has built over a thousand models and they are exquisitely beautiful. I don't recall where he lives, but his name is Pat Kennedy in case y'all ever cross paths.

Friz, I like your cool stuff and your sense of humor. Keep up the good work.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Sun May 12, 2019 6:42 pm

That's Cool, I Like The VW Bus Too !
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Frizzen Wed May 15, 2019 12:26 am

I'm glad you're enjoying this build as much as i have been. I'd been a little concerned sharing it with Cox engine lovers since i'm doing it 'wrong' with no engines.

Thanks akj, did i mention i like VWs?
Adam-12 . Electric, Radio Control conversion PHRJn15l
Split lowrider pickup and green Bay bus are RC, the other two are potential.

RC Truck & Construction meet from last Sept where we take over part of a 4-H fairgrounds Rabbit barn to be entertainment for a festival
https://youtu.be/jiArsmsI6Us

Quadcopter view of the indoor layout
https://youtu.be/sjSy3irqRTs

Up to 2016 our group used to be part of a show with a diecast collector magazine
https://youtu.be/ARECsMO9TJs

Right now in the USA it's mostly about the semis and earthmoving equipment, because that's what's available in kits and ready to run, but there's more on the real roads than just trucks. The european meets tend to be more diverse in what people are running.  Cars are often a cheaper and quicker way into this hobby, as trucks certainly aren't cheap, and hydraulic excavators are just expensive.

Last edited by Frizzen on Thu May 16, 2019 7:21 am; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : Vw)
Frizzen
Frizzen
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Frizzen Wed May 22, 2019 6:29 pm

It has pretty lights, but here's the other side of that.

Adam-12 . Electric, Radio Control conversion F6Gg6Ccl

Here's the wire harness it takes to run the body lights. Supplier issues mean the roof lights are still all currently setup as only solid instead of Red solid / Amber wig-wag.  

Got my siren from Evan Designs. I'm happy to be able to know for sure the "9v" option works great off a 9v battery, a 7.2 stick pack, or even BEC regulated 4.5 - 6v rx voltage.

It has a momentary button to toggle sirens, Adam 12 can use the siren in mode 2 or 4. 'All the sounds' in sequence (1) and 'phaser' (3) just don't qutie fit early 70s american cops.

https://youtu.be/E_1qG0Ryx5Q

I'm probably going to have to pull the RX Switch out of my Ambulance so i can get the siren functional, and the roof lights correct for the contest. Also have to knock together a servo mount for the momentary switch for siren mode changes.

Need to pick up some white paint for some touch up, then chrome out the window trim.

It's coming together.

Last edited by Frizzen on Wed May 22, 2019 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Shrink pic)
Frizzen
Frizzen
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed May 22, 2019 10:27 pm

Frizzen wrote:I'm glad you're enjoying this build as much as i have been. I'd been a little concerned sharing it with Cox engine lovers since i'm doing it 'wrong' with no engines.
There's no Wrong in modeling! lol!

....did I mention i like VWs?
Hey, what's not to love. Hippy vans, Micro Busses, Love Bugs, gray haired ponytails and tie-dyed clothes, the Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test... Smoking

Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Frizzen Fri May 24, 2019 12:25 pm

Chassis layout.
Siren is a black chip, speaker, push button. It now has its own control servo since i wasn't feeling like trying to make a control circuit. Power is tapped off the RX bus with 2 pin servo lead. I knocked together a styrene switch holder. Took 2 servo horns for the round part, mounted them up into the servo horn. Took the switch mount and bonded that to servo case where the horn roller crosses. Then set the EPA on it to lightly go clicky. Now i just toggle switch D down/up to advance through siren settings and back off.

On/off switch is mounted in the package tray. Fwd is on.

My rig for this is a Flysky Fs-i6, a 6 channel stick-type radio on the 2.4ghz band
Drive is all on the right stick.
Body lights on thr channel, up is on
Roof lights on sw B, down is on. This way car turns on dark, light controls are all on left side of radio and come together for On

Adam-12 . Electric, Radio Control conversion Pey3dzil

Adam-12 . Electric, Radio Control conversion MOWX1YMl

Cox engine so it won't be the only thread on the board without one
Adam-12 . Electric, Radio Control conversion JBNpVCbl
If you never messed with cars, the spring on the crankshaft starter knob is a worm gear for the spur gear that floated on the original hex axle, a switch let you mesh or clutch the engine from axle. Bolt on cooling head.

I think i'd like to deviate from screen accurate with the roof lights. Adam 12 had the Reds turn on solid, but now days wig-wag is better understood and is a whole lot better at getting attention.

Someone i work with is trying to convince me to get a couple digital sound recorders so i can throw a servo on the rudder channel to let me have some selectable 'radio traffic'. Maybe one being dispatched out on a run and the unit acknowledging, with the other marking back in service?

Last edited by Frizzen on Fri May 24, 2019 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Shrink pic)
Frizzen
Frizzen
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Frizzen Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:32 am

Figured i needed to show off the features, even if it's not great video.

I kept the speed backed down to about 40%, since my cameraman isn't used to working with rc cars.

https://youtu.be/7_NTYrLEdZU

https://youtu.be/8t_2RbHvJA8

https://youtu.be/JLaNmX_BLo0

Yes i know i need a video editor. I'm open to suggestions!
Frizzen
Frizzen
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:52 am

Nifty, great effort and a lot of work and imagination there.

I enjoyed all your videos.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down