Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Thoughts on building/flying the Brodak F-82? Cox_ba12

Thoughts on building/flying the Brodak F-82? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

» [solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine
by batjac Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:33 pm

» TD/Medallion .049 fuel draw issues
by Ken Cook Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:18 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Thoughts on building/flying the Brodak F-82? Empty
Live on Patrol

Thoughts on building/flying the Brodak F-82?

Go down

Thoughts on building/flying the Brodak F-82? Empty Thoughts on building/flying the Brodak F-82?

Post  YellowJacket Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:58 am

Hello all,

My wife just finished her first plane, a Sig Staggerwing Beech, and it looks great. She is now working on a Sig Mini-Zilch to learn about built up wings. That kit is a simple build and she will done with it quickly.

I showed her a pic of the Brodak F-82 twin Mustang with 2 engines which she thought was uber-cool and wants to build it next. I have two extra reed valve motors not dedicated to anything right now, a Black Widow and a Golden Bee, both with the 8cc tanks.

So, does anyone have any advice about this plane with two motors like: 1) should one of these motors be inboard and the other outboard? Should we purposely allow one engine to run a tad longer than the other to aid in landing, and if so, should it be inboard or outboard? Will this plane perform most or all of the AMA stunt pattern (not sure what all that entails at the moment but wanted to ask about its limitations vis a vis the Staggerwing and Mini-Zilch).

Thanks for any and all thoughts on this?

P.S. I was also eying the RSM "Miss Ashley" for her as I do have a extra baby bee that could go on it Flying
P.P.S. I would have attached a couple pics of her plane but I don't see an "attach file" button.

Greg
YellowJacket
YellowJacket

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on building/flying the Brodak F-82? Empty Re: Thoughts on building/flying the Brodak F-82?

Post  Marleysky Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:04 pm

Hello! Greg and Wife, WELCOME to the CEF. There is a time period that new members have to pass thru before you can post pictures. The F-82 Twin Mustang is one of my favorites just behind the P-38 Lightning. There have been threads on flying them and the problems caused by having one engine stop during flight. We will have to do a search for twins or P 38 to find those flight reports.
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on building/flying the Brodak F-82? Empty Re: Thoughts on building/flying the Brodak F-82?

Post  getback Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:47 pm

getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:48 pm

Just guessing, balancing things out with a Black Widow and Golden Bee will be difficult.  From a flight performance point of view, it would be best to have the more powerful engine, being the Black Widow, inboard to help maintain line tension, but it is also desirable to have the outboard engine cut out first for the same reason.  This will be your problem because the Golden Bee will be more fuel efficient than the Black Widow and will run longer, the opposite to what you need.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:56 pm

I have built 3 of them to date and I like them a lot. I had two black widows on the 1st one which crashed coming out of a wingover when one engine quit. This is the problem with integral tanked bees. The gear is lacking and it collapses and I redesigned using my method. With two black widows, I needed some tail weight. I would also not limit the controls and use the outer hole in the bellcrank vs the inside which makes the controls a bit slow and not enough deflection. The other problem is the wing itself, it flexes a lot in between the two fuse's. I didn't do this on my last one and regret not sheeting the center. My 2nd one had two Golden Bee's.  My versions were not single ported Bee cylinders but dual so they offered good power.

Main thing is to get two reliable engines that audibly sound equal which helps needle setting. Many seemed to be over concerned with starting one engine first , seeing that the outboard runs out first etc. I have never encountered that to be a issue ever. I always start the inboard first for safety reasons and then the outboard. I have twins from .020 - .40. Two black widows fly very well on 42' lines. I have used as much as 50' but the run time was too short. I have since switched to product engines.

Here's a pic of my latest, I had it out this weekend. My flying partner and I fly these together as his has 2 TD's on it. He nipped my rudders because were were fooling around and got a bit too close so I need to paint the slugs of wood I put in there. I feel mine is more maneuverable. I shortened my fuse on the nose. Thoughts on building/flying the Brodak F-82? Dscn2837
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  YakNine Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:55 am

Hey Ken , are those #2 3/8 oz. tanks , what kind of run time do you get ? also where do you get your copper tubing for the tank fittings ? Thanks TJ
YakNine
YakNine
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:24 am

I was wondering how that plane flew after watching the change , good to hear it did well Ken .
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:00 pm

TJ, my tanks are 1/2 oz. Perfect uses a brass tubing that usually splits on the seam and you can't see it internally. This is when you find out that Perfect tanks are not so perfect. Often they use a very small tubing which is also no good. That goes out in the trash. All tubing replaced with K&S 1/8" copper. I replumbed the tank for uniflow. Bottom vent only gets capped during flight. Most situations has proven to me that the uniflow pipe even though 1/8" is too large. I necked it down with a piece of 3/32" tubing that when cut with my tubing cutter closes the hole even further.

I haven't flown the model on uniflow to date as it got too cold here when I completed it. On the days that were worthy of flying, I had other models out. I never had a lot of luck converting a wedge tank to uniflow, it usually becomes problematic in the later part of the flight. I may even have to increase the tank capacity because I would like to fly the pattern using this one. If I choose to do so it will be plastic tanks.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:56 am

I have flown my scratch built P-38 many times using both Golden Bees and Black Widows but never mixed the two.

I would invest in either another stock Golden Bee or Black widow. Just top off the interior to the circle engine last and you should be ok. Mine flew fine on one engine.

Thoughts on building/flying the Brodak F-82? P-38_o10

Good luck with your build.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:53 pm

Today I had the F-82 out. Since built, I had put it aside due to bad engine runs. I didn't follow my own advice and sheet the center section of this plane between the two fuse's. The inboard engine would run all day long at the correct setting. When the outboard engine was started, the plane gets into such a resonance that both needles go absolutely crazy. I used rubber bands to hold the needles which certainly worked but the runs would eventually go screaming lean no matter how rich it was in the beginning. I could see the covering in the center section of the wing vibrating and the engines were a blur. I tried so many options today I was going to grab it by the wing and toss it into the woods.

I swapped engines and tried others but to no avail, the same thing kept happening. I wish I brought my 3 bladers one pusher and one tractor might have solved this by running opposed props.  I ended up with one 5x3 and one 6x3 which got me some decent flights but I really wished it would've worked with both 5x3's. No matter how rich they were set in the beginning, once the vibes started, they would both go so lean they would quit.  I also think that this was due to the cylinders mounted vertically. The engines would eventually fall into this vibration that was really ear piercing. The problem with horseshoe backplates is that you can't get to the screws when mounted sidewinder unless you put the needles opposing the cylinders.

This week, I have some aluminum mounts that I can drill the horseshoe pattern on and mount either TD's or Medallions. My flying buddy has TD's on his and he's getting some pretty decent flights.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down