Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

CzarDrill - my first model for Cox - Page 2 Cox_ba12

CzarDrill - my first model for Cox - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Today at 2:54 am

» Golden Bee basic running problem
by roddie Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» Simple Gliders
by rdw777 Yesterday at 6:25 pm

» Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL
by rdw777 Yesterday at 6:11 pm

» Weird search for a single comic from an old Mad Magazine
by Kim Yesterday at 1:44 pm

» Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!.
by getback Yesterday at 7:27 am

» Cox .049 Tee Dee engines back in stock (limited availablility)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 1:05 am

» Very off-topic.........Time passes and not always for the best......
by rsv1cox Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:47 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:30 pm

» Throttles for Cox Tee Dee .049 / .020 / .010 engines --- videos
by sosam117 Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:54 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Admin Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:00 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Mon Jul 22, 2024 4:14 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
July-2024
robot797's

"ULTIMITE COX 010: it has a clutch, E starter, throttle, exhaust, aluminum tank, aluminum venturi, gearbox with forward and reverse, and now its on a custom drawn and printed stand"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

CzarDrill - my first model for Cox - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

CzarDrill - my first model for Cox

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

CzarDrill - my first model for Cox - Page 2 Empty Re: CzarDrill - my first model for Cox

Post  ian1954 Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:47 am

That looks like a really neat construction. I like the use of magnets to hold the cowl on at the front.

Is it going to have landing gear (undercarriage)?
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

CzarDrill - my first model for Cox - Page 2 Empty Re: CzarDrill - my first model for Cox

Post  ticomareado Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:38 am

I believe you can get a considerable amount of weight off by using a balloon tank. Also rudder control might not be necessary or even desirable.
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  dirk gently Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:13 pm

ticomareado wrote:rudder control might not be necessary or even desirable.

The thing is though, it's a low wing with no dihedral and no sweep, so the rudder control is the only thing to give it some roll-yaw coupling that's required for lateral stability. Without it, it would slip into the turns and have a tendency to deepen the bank. I don't think you could bank-and-yank it unless you add dihedral.
dirk gently
dirk gently
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:01 pm

Thank you Czarobest  Thumbs Up for sharing your plane CzarDrill project!

Some thoughts on the project:
You can yank n bank if the tail moment is reasonable which his is but the whole vertical stab/rudder looks
small compared to the elevator / horizontal stab. It will torque roll to the left on launch the CG will need
to favor forward to help it track through till there is enough airflow. Real weak spot noted at the wing saddle
that area needs to be beefed up on the inside.

The entire tank bay and radio bay wing saddle etc. needs to be fuel proofed / oil will weaken the plane fast.
Engine exhaust is going to blow back inside the fuselage with all that hatch work. Firewall thickness should be
more if wood screws are used. Oil seep is going to be a challenge, even at the wing servos that should have a
minimum opening iron on covering hatch with a slit for the servo arm will help slow down any oil seep there.
After every day of flying you will need to remove all that hatch work and clean out any oil seep.

Best wishes I hope you enjoy your efforts and flying the plane.

Popcorn

CzarDrill - my first model for Cox - Page 2 20190910
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  czarobest Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:59 pm

ian1954 wrote:
Is it going to have landing gear (undercarriage)?

No, this model will not have a undercarriage.

ticomareado wrote:I believe you can get a considerable amount of weight off by using a balloon tank. Also rudder control might not be necessary or even desirable.

I need to think about the use of the balloon, it is good idea. Maybe this way the center of gravity will be more at the back.

1/2A Nut wrote:
Real weak spot noted at the wing saddle that area needs to be beefed up on the inside.

This is where the shelf that reinforces the structure comes in.

CzarDrill - my first model for Cox - Page 2 Czardr13

But I'll see how it can be strengthened, although it seems very stiff in the hands.

1/2A Nut wrote:
The entire tank bay and radio bay wing saddle etc. needs to be fuel proofed / oil will weaken the plane fast.
Engine exhaust is going to blow back inside the fuselage with all that hatch work. Firewall thickness should be
more if wood screws are used. Oil seep is going to be a challenge, even at the wing servos that should have a
minimum opening iron on covering hatch with a slit for the servo arm will help slow down any oil seep there.
After every day of flying you will need to remove all that hatch work and clean out any oil seep.

Tank bay is laminated. Radio bay is protected with a car lacquer
Firewall is from 2.5mm playwood, I didn't use wood screws, I used Allen screws with nut secured with screw glue and spring washers. I'll also try to reduce the gaps in the wing. Each my model is of course cleaned after flights and this one will not be an exception.  Smile

Thank you very much for all your advice and opinions  I Love This Forum!
czarobest
czarobest
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:45 pm

I do not know what radio or receiver you had planned on using, but in teh past, I have actually removed the case from my receiver to save weight and have it smaller. This may also be an option for you, again, depending on what receiver you had planned on using.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  dirk gently Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:22 am

So when's the maiden flight?
dirk gently
dirk gently
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  czarobest Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:30 am

NEW222 wrote:I do not know what radio or receiver you had planned on using, but in teh past, I have actually removed the case from my receiver to save weight and have it smaller. This may also be an option for you, again, depending on what receiver you had planned on using.

I recently changed my radio to FrSky and I have only X8R receiver. This receiver is large even without a case. I could remove the pins and solder the servos straight to the PCB. But I use this receiver for other models and I can't do this.

dirk gently wrote:So when's the maiden flight?

It's hard to tell Huh...
Now I trying to create canopies for servos in wing, and I still waiting for send new receiver from Banggood. I might get upset and buy it at the local store. Although I don't like to pay 50% more Neutral
czarobest
czarobest
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:38 am

Guys, here is something presently for sale on ebay that you might be interested in.  I don't think they ship outside the US though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sterling-C-Series-Polish-Fighter-Control-Line-Kit-Please-Read-Carfully/183953733928?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160727114228%26meid%3D1477847a71614ba78c835f1d4daa5ab2%26pid%3D100290%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D183953733928%26itm%3D183953733928%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2060778&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

CzarDrill - my first model for Cox - Page 2 Polish10

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  dirk gently Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:41 am

It looks like the PZL P.1:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PZL_P.1

It was a very advanced design back in 1929, never entered production though. It could also be a P.8.

I find it hilarious how they coulnd't be bothered to print the name of the plane on the box, and just called it "the Polish fighter", as if there had only ever been one.

Note: the insignia on the box picture are wrong - red and white squares should be the other way around. Also, the wingtop insignia are way too large. The eagle logo seems to be just the kit designer fantasy.

Last edited by dirk gently on Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:51 am; edited 1 time in total
dirk gently
dirk gently
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:50 am

They did print it on the plans though. I find those gull wings interesting. I may make a bid if it doesn't go to high.

CzarDrill - my first model for Cox - Page 2 Polish11
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:04 am

Looks like most of it is there or at least the main stuff !! No hardware i can see Huh...
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:15 am

getback wrote:Looks like most of it is there or at least the main stuff !! No hardware i can see Huh...

Seems to be an engine spinner tucked away far right.  Printed ribs can be a challenge for me, but at least they don't appear to be die crushed.

This is the one that I'm biding on that he has. I have built two and have two more complete kits plus a partial. Love the things.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NIB-Vintage-Sterling-C-Series-Nieuport-28-Captain-Eddie-Rickenbackers-No-Less/183953776629?hash=item2ad47fdff5:g:JR8AAOSwZc5de9R4&autorefresh=true
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  czarobest Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:11 am

Thank you Bob for the link. Nice model, but I don't think I'm going to bid. For now I have other expenses and the delivery would be problematic.

I'm slowly creating servo canopies. I made them from PET bottle. In the evening I will apply a clear coat on them.

CzarDrill - my first model for Cox - Page 2 Czardr16
CzarDrill - my first model for Cox - Page 2 Czardr15
CzarDrill - my first model for Cox - Page 2 Czardr14

Last edited by czarobest on Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling error)
czarobest
czarobest
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:18 am

rsv1cox wrote:
getback wrote:Looks like most of it is there or at least the main stuff !! No hardware i can see Huh...

Seems to be an engine spinner tucked away far right.  Printed ribs can be a challenge for me, but at least they don't appear to be die crushed.

This is the one that I'm biding on that he has.  I have built two and have two more complete kits plus a partial. Love the things.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NIB-Vintage-Sterling-C-Series-Nieuport-28-Captain-Eddie-Rickenbackers-No-Less/183953776629?hash=item2ad47fdff5:g:JR8AAOSwZc5de9R4&autorefresh=true
Sweet !! that engine
cowel will look good
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:20 am

Man those servo canopies look really nice , you do a good job at making them !! This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  czarobest Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:48 pm

Today I finally made an attempt to maiden flight Smile.
Unfortunately it didn't work out completely. The front canopy wasn't holding well so I used the rubber to hold it, also the cabin fell off. But these weren't big problems.  

The model after the cast ascended into the air, but it was flying nervously and reacted strangely to the elevator. Eventually it dragged out and forfeiture and I couldn't save it. Surprisingly, practically nothing happened to it, only the hinges of the elevator were damaged. I also had to dismantle the engine and wash it out of the sand.

Perhaps the center of gravity was too much at the back, I will make further attempts soon.

And, of course, a film:
czarobest
czarobest
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dirk gently Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:19 am

Wow, your motor is an easy starter and a great runner! I find it easiest to start them at full throttle.
To my untrained eye, the issue with the model is the lack of dihedral. It actually looks like it has a trace of anhedral. I would consider cutting the wing in half and glueing it back together with 6-7 degrees of dihedral.
dirk gently
dirk gently
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  czarobest Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:02 am

But today the engine wasn't working good and I couldn't try again Mad .Yeah, I usually start it at full throttle Smile.
You're probably right, however I'm gonna try to fly the model again. If it doesn't work out, I'll have to add a dihedral.
czarobest
czarobest
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:03 am

It is tail heavy need to move up the CG
Ailerons need some left trim
Rudder needs some left trim
Dial down the elevator throws they are too much.
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  czarobest Thu May 14, 2020 9:42 am

Success! It's very stable in flight but it's very fast (I like it) Very Happy.
I installed the GPS inside, but forgot to turn on the logging so I don't know the exact speed. Next time, I'll turn on the logging Smile.

Unfortunately, I crashed in the end (I'm a lame pilot) but the losses are small and I'll fix it quickly.

And most importantly, the video Smile

I'm very pleased that the model of its own design is flying quite well Very Happy. And Cox on the fly sounds brilliant Very Happy.

czarobest
czarobest
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Thu May 14, 2020 10:19 am

THAT was fun thanks
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu May 14, 2020 10:30 am

Pretty darn good for a "lame pilot." Flight looked great to me. Thanks for sharing.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Thu May 14, 2020 10:31 am

Hello, I congratulate you on the flight, I would like to give you some points of view so that you can adjust your model and enjoy it relaxed, but even at full speed.
You have a lot of elevator movement.
You have a lot of flap movement. (ailerons) - (Alerones)
Regulate in a flight position (quiet) less movement on those surfaces and place 30% of exponential, you will notice a total smoothness in the flight, without shocks or sudden changes.
Remember that you have an accelerator, fly with less accelerator until you know your model and then you can better enjoy the passes and trajectories.
At minute 2:35 You can notice the excess movement of the elevator that acts as a brake and a relative loss. (as I said before, put less elevator) ... I hope it is useful.
CzarDrill - my first model for Cox - Page 2 Z10
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  czarobest Thu May 14, 2020 10:46 am

Thanks guys Smile. I think the flight looks good because the model is really stable  Laughing .

I had the epxo set up here, but I preferred a larger range because I didn't know how the model would behave. I also had an additional phase of flight set up with smaller angles. But out of stress I forgot to test it Very Happy. I wasn't using full throttle, but I was afraid to go low due to the possibility of the engine stalling. I'll try to take advices, thanks Mauricio Smile.
czarobest
czarobest
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next