Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

FINALLY!!!!!  An Engine Day out in the Shop!  Black Lynx Break-In and Pee Wee Backplate Run !!! Cox_ba12

FINALLY!!!!!  An Engine Day out in the Shop!  Black Lynx Break-In and Pee Wee Backplate Run !!! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 3:16 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by Boats13 Today at 12:43 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by 1/2A Nut Today at 12:08 am

» Happy Anzac Day!
by Boats13 Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Yesterday at 4:08 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Yesterday at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

FINALLY!!!!!  An Engine Day out in the Shop!  Black Lynx Break-In and Pee Wee Backplate Run !!! Empty
Live on Patrol

FINALLY!!!!! An Engine Day out in the Shop! Black Lynx Break-In and Pee Wee Backplate Run !!!

Go down

FINALLY!!!!!  An Engine Day out in the Shop!  Black Lynx Break-In and Pee Wee Backplate Run !!! Empty FINALLY!!!!! An Engine Day out in the Shop! Black Lynx Break-In and Pee Wee Backplate Run !!!

Post  Kim Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:21 pm

After several false recoveries, it appears that I AM actually doing better...health-wise...so-much-so that I cranked up the heat out in the shop for a break-in of Matt's "Black Lynx" .049 (THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH AGAIN!!!)), along with my first test run of Bernie's .020 Pee Wee Backplate Assembly.

The Black Lynx was started up on Sig Champion 25% fuel, turning a 5-3 gray.  I ran it for over 1/2 hour nonstop with refuels on the run. leaning it out to peak and back as the time passed.  Toward the last 5 minutes, it was peaking in the mid 17k's, with good needle valve response.

While it may get some photo ops with the 2m B.O.T. before too long, it'll probably end up in my Cox Viper for this year's S.M.A.L.L. Fly-Ins.  Thanks again for this great engine!

FINALLY!!!!!  An Engine Day out in the Shop!  Black Lynx Break-In and Pee Wee Backplate Run !!! 1_87

FINALLY!!!!!  An Engine Day out in the Shop!  Black Lynx Break-In and Pee Wee Backplate Run !!! 2_81

THEN....I assembled an .020 with the new backplate I got from Bernie.  I chose one of my healthier .020's, hoping for as little hassle as possible, and am proud to say it all went well.

The upper mounting holes are REAL snug for my #2 socket head servo screws, and I wanted a washer of some sort to keep them from digging into the plastic.  So, I used a drill motor and Dremel to first, turn down the flange under the socket, and also rounded the flats of a couple #2 machine nuts.  

Drilled out, the machine nuts became thick washers, and fit into the backplate's top two grooves pretty nicely.  I know this all seems like a lot of fuss, and I'm totally prepared for someone to show me an embarrassingly easier way to do this.   The little sucker looks good to me now though!

It started up after little coaxing, fired up and ran steadily...also for a 1/2 hour +. I'd lost my light, and was too lazy to set up an led lamp for the tach, but sounding in it's zone.

FINALLY!!!!!  An Engine Day out in the Shop!  Black Lynx Break-In and Pee Wee Backplate Run !!! 20_19

FINALLY!!!!!  An Engine Day out in the Shop!  Black Lynx Break-In and Pee Wee Backplate Run !!! 22_20

Now, on to assemble another .020 and it's backplate for installation on my slowly moving Carl Goldberg Skylark project.

Last edited by Kim on Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

FINALLY!!!!!  An Engine Day out in the Shop!  Black Lynx Break-In and Pee Wee Backplate Run !!! Empty Re: FINALLY!!!!! An Engine Day out in the Shop! Black Lynx Break-In and Pee Wee Backplate Run !!!

Post  Dave P. Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:09 pm

I'm really happy to see the Black Lynx running!  It's good to hear that the PeeWee likes the backplate too.  I don't have any advice on the upper washers, what you did looks great.  I'm filing that one away for future use.

It's really good to hear that you're doing better too. That's the best news.

Thanks for posting!
Dave P.
Dave P.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

FINALLY!!!!!  An Engine Day out in the Shop!  Black Lynx Break-In and Pee Wee Backplate Run !!! Empty Re: FINALLY!!!!! An Engine Day out in the Shop! Black Lynx Break-In and Pee Wee Backplate Run !!!

Post  Kim Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:44 pm

Thanks Dave, it was a really good day!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:52 pm

Good to see another Pee Wee backplate running.

For screws I used some #2 Phillips head wood screws to mount to the backplate in all my testing. I included these same screws with the CEF version backplates. I never used washers. The backplates are printed with 100% infill and are pretty solid. The screws will make a circular depression but hasn’t caused any issues.

Spring starter helps get these guys running. I have used the same intake opening as a helicopter backplate. The heli version .020 always was fitted with a spring starter. The larger intake really opens up these little engine.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P. Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:01 pm

Kim wrote:Thanks Dave, it was a really good day!

We take those when we can, don't we?
Dave P.
Dave P.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:51 pm

Dave P. wrote:
Kim wrote:Thanks Dave, it was a really good day!

We take those when we can, don't we?

Yes Sir....Absolutely !!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:53 pm

Second .020 Backplate Test:

So, the second .020 adapted to it's backplate nicely, putting in a bunch of time on it's stand. Started easy, and settled into a 1/2 hour run after a little needle work.

Now it's time to turn to the Skylark.

FINALLY!!!!!  An Engine Day out in the Shop!  Black Lynx Break-In and Pee Wee Backplate Run !!! 1_88

FINALLY!!!!!  An Engine Day out in the Shop!  Black Lynx Break-In and Pee Wee Backplate Run !!! 2_82

FINALLY!!!!!  An Engine Day out in the Shop!  Black Lynx Break-In and Pee Wee Backplate Run !!! 3_59
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:56 pm

Jason_WI wrote:Good to see another Pee Wee backplate running.

For screws I used some #2 Phillips head wood screws to mount to the backplate in all my testing. I included these same screws with the CEF version backplates. I never used washers. The backplates are printed with 100% infill and are pretty solid. The screws will make a circular depression but hasn’t caused any issues.

Spring starter helps get these guys running. I have used the same intake opening as a helicopter backplate. The heli version .020 always was fitted with a spring starter. The larger intake really opens up these little engine.

Well, it makes sense. I'll probably get some more of these, and use the types you did. Thanks again for your work (mechanical AND mental!!) in getting these figured out. Pee Wee's apparently love them!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:27 am

First off Good to hear ur feeling better than before , good to hear you had a positive experience with the PeeWEEs ! I had been thinking about running something myself as soon as the weather breaks from cold to cool , haven't smelt castor in awhile now need a fix !! lol! Old Bugger
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:10 am

getback wrote:First off Good to hear ur feeling better than before , good to hear you had a positive experience with the PeeWEEs ! I had been thinking about running something myself as soon as the weather breaks from cold to cool , haven't smelt castor in awhile now need a fix !! lol! Old Bugger

Yes you do !!!!!!!!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down