Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Joe Wagner Sioux free flight Cox_ba12

Joe Wagner Sioux free flight Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 9:18 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by 706jim Today at 6:44 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Joe Wagner Sioux free flight Empty
Live on Patrol

Joe Wagner Sioux free flight

Go down

Joe Wagner Sioux free flight Empty Joe Wagner Sioux free flight

Post  Ken Cook Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:43 am

I just finished up putting on the cabin stripe yesterday on the Sioux. The weather is turning quickly as were expecting rain for the next several days. Brodak dope is horrible when it comes to even remote humidity. I thought for certain the stripe would blush. I don't like to use retarder as it can cause many problems so waiting for a good day is always in order. This is what makes winter time a great time to paint due to low humidity. Currently the model is in nitrate dope, I will shoot Sig Lite Coat over the model when the weather gets better.   I lost my Dakota a few months ago and it's been bugging me ever since. My flying partner insisted that to get over it, build another one. I do have another kit and the Dakota was started last evening.

The Sioux is quite large compared to the Dakota spanning 36". I have drilled the firewall for a standard Babe Bee, the other holes are for future use if I want to use a product backplate. This model will be diesel powered. I have both engines product backplate and integral Bee setup for diesel use. I have growing concerns on the economy of the diesel. This plane will utilize a eyedropper style fuel tank just like my Dakota was.

Joe Wagner Sioux free flight Dscn2918
  A good tip is to not glue the dowels in that retain the wing. In the event of a crash, just replace them. I also placed 1/64" gussets of ply on the inside of the cabin where the dowel passes through. As viewed from the front, a Babe Bee bolt pattern is 1/2 shared with a product engine. The lower holes are the same therefore if one mounts a product engine or a Babe Bee using the lower holes, the engine projects and sits at the same height. There's a lot of F-1 offset in the engine, this is why the engine is when viewed from the front is so far left. It also provides a area to protect and house my eyedropper on the right portion.

Joe Wagner Sioux free flight Dscn2919 The model offers a great nostalgic appearance. I truly believe it's the cabin windows and flowing curves. Just like Juan's Scientific catamaran, those distinctive shapes dates the model. For some reason, this styling has been lost and everything today seems a bit boring to me as if it requires time to do, we no longer do that.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Joe Wagner Sioux free flight Empty Re: Joe Wagner Sioux free flight

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:34 am

I see it has the Wagner signature vertical stab. Looks good Ken nice work.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:27 pm

Funny you mentioned that Ron, when Joe designed the Dakota, the Sioux was designed the same time. As noted on the print that both planes were flew on the same day for testing. Both planes also shared similar parts from Veco kits. I believe the note mentioned the rudder as the Papoose and both planes also use some of the fuse formers including the landing gear. It also stated that both planes used the same box that the Papoose came in. I hope not to lose this one. One of these days, I'm going to go rudder control only. When I ran the diesel the other day, it was quite impressive as to how long it ran when I removed the fuel line. I may have to launch the same way. Get it running and pull the fuel line. A 20 second run can really launch these quite high.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike1484 Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:48 am

Very nice Ken ,one of my favorite free flight planes . I like the clear doped fuselage with the blue trim . My Sioux had a Baby Bee on glow and I had to be careful on fuel .I eventually ended up with the eye dropper tank .

Mike1484
Mike1484
Mike1484
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down