Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

PZL 62 + Baby Bee - Page 2 Cox_ba12

PZL 62 + Baby Bee - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by roddie Today at 12:09 pm

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 11:51 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by roddie Today at 10:11 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 8:14 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 3:16 am

» Happy Anzac Day!
by Boats13 Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Yesterday at 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

PZL 62 + Baby Bee - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

PZL 62 + Baby Bee

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

PZL 62 + Baby Bee - Page 2 Empty Re: PZL 62 + Baby Bee

Post  dirk gently Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:10 pm

Ok, so now I'm thinking - 1.5mm (1/16in.) sheet balsa for the fuselage probably won't be enough? Should i go for 2mm? The construction method will be as in the LA Stick - no longerons, just sheet balsa sides.

Also, for 65cm wingspan I was assuming a 5g servo for the elevator, and a single 9g servo to power both ailerons. With about 80cm wingspan, that ain't gonna cut it, right?
dirk gently
dirk gently
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:48 pm

If you're going to put different servo's on IMHO you should put the
Strongest on the ele. I've had 3 aileron mishaps in the past, 2 I've recovered
From. Luckily I've only had 1 elevator issue obviously that was fatal.... As a result
I'd 'rather' have an aileron prob. However, it would always be better to over
Estimate, if it were me I'd get 3 HS65mg's. I've had them on most of my 30 sized
3d ships with no drama. IMHO one of the biggest small servo killers is knocking the
Surfaces, taking planes in and out of cars, rooms etc, what I do is cut a slot in a
Blocck of Styro foam and slip it over the surface to stop servo knocks in transit.
Good luck
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dirk gently Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:47 am

HS65MG seems to be a 12g servo (also quite pricey, ouch). Will one be enough for both ailerons or do I need a separate one for each?
Sadly, I haven't found any description on how to choose the right servos for a plane.

Last edited by dirk gently on Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total
dirk gently
dirk gently
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:48 am

dirk gently wrote:HS65MG seems to be 12g servo (also quite pricey, ouch). Will one be enough for both ailerons or do I need a separate one for each?
Sadly, I haven't found any description on how to choose the right servos for a plane.
Yes it will be good for both ailerons.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:34 am

dirk gently wrote:HS65MG seems to be 12g servo (also quite pricey, ouch). Will one be enough for both ailerons or do I need a separate one for each?

Servos aren't good area to try to save money in Dirk.
When I made the Bacaruda which even with me 'tweaking' the plan is only 15.5 ins wing span and weighs a few fag papers.
I thought "naw need for decent servo's" and put 2 5grams in.... first bit of 'spirited' flying led to rudder servo siezing and the resulting bumpy 'landing' (OK arrival) stripped the other one as well. I could have just coughed up for the HS50's in the first place.. both of which have now had a couple less than smooth landings and seem fine.

And yes always 2 aileron servos it's not 1975 any more, less trouble to instal, more direct control and if your'e TX is progamable the sky's the limit.
J

Last edited by John Goddard on Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:44 am; edited 5 times in total
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:40 am

John Goddard wrote:

When I made the Bacaruda which even with me 'tweaking' the plan is only 15.5 ins wing span and weighs a few fag papers.
I thought "naw need for decent servo's" and put 2 5grams in.... first bit of 'spirited' flying let to rudder servo siezing and the
resulting bumpy 'landing' (OK arrival) stripped the other one as well. I could have just coughed up for the HS50's in the first
place... both of which have now had a couple less than smooth landings and seem fine.

And yes always 2, less trouble to instal, more direct control and if your'e TX is progamable the sky's the limit.
J
J with my rainbow it will be 3 metal gear servos 5g each maybe got for 12" WS and a but less dihedral. No ailerons, rudder, elevator and guess what the other servo is for Smile
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:53 am

nitroairplane wrote:
John Goddard wrote:

I thought "naw need for decent servo's" and put 2 5grams in.... first bit of 'spirited' flying let to rudder servo siezing and the
resulting bumpy 'landing' (OK arrival) stripped the other one as well. I could have just coughed up for the HS50's in the first
place... both of which have now had a couple less than smooth landings and seem fine.

And yes always 2, less trouble to instal, more direct control and if your'e TX is progamable the sky's the limit.
J
J with my rainbow it will be 3 metal gear servos 5g each maybe got for 12" WS and a but less dihedral. No ailerons, rudder, elevator and guess what the other servo is for Smile

I'm not sure about less dh Big Guy. I increased the W/S and reduced the DH by a 1/4 inch which is probably why it spins so
easily, I'm sure if I'd left alone it would be a little more docile. Mg not needed for the throttle but if you're gonna pratice Arriving instead of landing as I've been know to do...
not a bad idea.

Tell you what I did end up doing.. that was to put rudder on the aileron stick.
Surprised
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:04 am

I always put rudder on elevator stick if I am not using ailerons.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  dirk gently Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:56 pm

I ordered balsa. While waiting for it to be sent, I drew 15% thick wing airfoils to use as templates for cutting the ribs.

Last edited by dirk gently on Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:21 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : profiles->airfoils)
dirk gently
dirk gently
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivanhoe Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:14 pm

dirk gently wrote:Ok, so now I'm thinking - 1.5mm (1/16in.) sheet balsa for the fuselage probably won't be enough? Should i go for 2mm? The construction method will be as in the LA Stick - no longerons, just sheet balsa sides.

Also, for 65cm wingspan I was assuming a 5g servo for the elevator, and a single 9g servo to power both ailerons. With about 80cm wingspan, that ain't gonna cut it, right?

If you're building a larger version for the Babe Bee as you say, 3/32" would be quite thick enough for fuselage sides, as long as you pick medium grade.
Only comment I'd have after looking at your plans is that I'd do away with that built-up rudder, from the amount of bracing you show on it you might just as well use solid balsa, and it would be lighter too, last thing you want is extra weight in the tail.
If you ARE building the 33" or whatever span version, remember that it is still a "Small" model, being scale you do not have the wing area of a non-scale model of the same size, so you will still need to watch how much weight you are adding as you build it, keep everything as light as possible, and make doubly sure that there are no warps in the surfaces before you attempt a flight. My opinion, for what it's worth, is that you are pushing your luck building a low wing scale model as a first model. In my days running a model shop I spent a LOT of time convincing beginners not to try to build a Spitfire as their first ever model!

Wilf
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dirk gently Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:38 am

Thanks, Ivanhoe!
The rudder construction was just a rough sketch, I don't intend to actualy build it that way, I will do it out of solid balsa, as you said.
It will not be my first ever model. I built a wooden glider before (pine and basswod, tissue covered an doped), and I'm just finishing a styrofoam electric powered trainer. I also have a modeling club in my neighbourhood (actually, I was surprised to learn that there are a number of them in my city) so in case of any problems I will seek assistance there. With their help, and yours, of course, I think I can pull it off.
dirk gently
dirk gently
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivanhoe Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:48 am

dirk gently wrote:Thanks, Ivanhoe!
The rudder construction was just a rough sketch, I don't intend to actualy build it that way, I will do it out of solid balsa, as you said.
It will not be my first ever model. I built a wooden glider before (pine and basswod, tissue covered an doped), and I'm just finishing a styrofoam electric powered trainer. I also have a modeling club in my neighbourhood (actually, I was surprised to learn that there are a number of them in my city) so in case of any problems I will seek assistance there. With their help, and yours, of course, I think I can pull it off.

Joining a model club is the perfect way to get on in model building and flying, not only for help but for the company of like-minded people, it's far more fun than going it alone!
The biggest advantage is if you can get an experienced pilot to fly your model for it's maiden flight, he'll be able to trim it out for you and if there is a disaster he'll have a better chance of recovering without wrecking the model! I really wish I had a suitable club locally, unfortunately I live out in the middle of nowhere, and the only club within reach is R/C only and VERY expensive to join.
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dirk gently Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:54 am

BTW, being aware of scale restrictions with respect to wing area, I made the wing slightly larger than it would be according to scale.
dirk gently
dirk gently
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dirk gently Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:50 am

I reconsidered the choice of airfoil, and decided to go for Clark Y.
dirk gently
dirk gently
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dirk gently Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:51 am

The mailman brought me my balsa yesterday Cool
Now, (I'm sure someone thought of this before), I will transfer the plans onto balsa sheets using a laser print and an iron, pretty much in the same manner when making printed circuit boards.
dirk gently
dirk gently
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:05 am

dirk gently wrote:I reconsidered the choice of airfoil, and decided to go for Clark Y.

Not a bad choice Dirk.
If you wanted to make it a little more 'safe', twist a little washout into the wingtips.
Very Happy
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dirk gently Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:14 am

How do I do that? With tissue and dope I could just secure the wing to a wooden board, and once the dope is dry the wing would retain the washout. I'm not sure how to reproduce this procedure using film cover.
dirk gently
dirk gently
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:33 am

dirk gently wrote:How do I do that? With tissue and dope I could just secure the wing to a wooden board, and once the dope is dry the wing would retain the washout. I'm not sure how to reproduce this procedure using film cover.

In the (very distant) past when I've done it I used to do it when building the wing ie when it's pinned to the building board
just put blocks of say 1/2 inch (or whatever) under the trailing edge at the wingtip then glue it all together.
However as I've intimated before I am no bulider and I'm sure once the boys in the States wake up they'll chip in with their ideas.
As for film I have used a heat gun to remove warps from artf wings so I'm sure you'll be able use that method BUT I'd
say that they may not hold the same 'warp' each side which building it in will/should.
Besta luck
John
Very Happy
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dirk gently Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:04 pm

Today, I glued some pieces of wood together: bulkheads, stringers, balsa doublers and a servo shelf:
PZL 62 + Baby Bee - Page 2 Dscf2185q
https://2img.net/r/ihimg/photo/my-images/843/dscf2185q.jpg/

I also cut out fuselage sides:
PZL 62 + Baby Bee - Page 2 Dscf2186m
https://2img.net/r/ihimg/photo/my-images/28/dscf2186m.jpg/
dirk gently
dirk gently
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:27 pm

My Kavan ART26 tank extender turned up late last week Dirk which if my schoolboy Maths is close adds 5cc fuel capacity.
I'm gonna try it out on my Christmas Bee to see what we got, time wise.
It may be the sort of thing you need.
I know Mouse racer Paul on here has got one.
Very Happy
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:32 pm

John Goddard wrote:My Kavan ART26 tank extender turned up late last week Dirk which if my schoolboy Maths is close adds 5cc fuel capacity.
I'm gonna try it out on my Christmas Bee to see what we got, time wise.
It may be the sort of thing you need.
I know Mouse racer Paul on here has got one.
Very Happy
lol cool if it goes well I may have to get one for my Xmas bee.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  dirk gently Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:40 am

Yesterday I glued most of the fuselage together (photos to come).
I am wondering if it would be easier to build wooden wings with ribs and all, or just cut them out of styrofoam.
dirk gently
dirk gently
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:25 am

The foam will be heavy compared to bulit up.
Very Happy
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dirk gently Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:41 am

I just calculated that it will be somewhat above 50g (not counting carbon spars) assuming foam density of 30g/dm^3.
I will stick with balsa and pine spars then. Thanks.
dirk gently
dirk gently
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dirk gently Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:45 am

John Goddard wrote:The foam will be heavy compared to bulit up.
Very Happy
I bought myself a scale today.
the wing of my trainer RC plane (80cm wingspan), styrofoam and carbon spars weighs 38g.
the wing of my glider(75cm wingspan, but higher aspect ratio, so the overall wing surface much smaller than the trainer): basswod ribs, pine spars and edges, covered with japanese tissue and dope weighs 51g.
Seems that even if I cover a foam wing with film, I will still be in the same weight range as in build up wings.

So far my almost complete (but not covered) PZL.62 fuselage weighs 48g. I don't know if that's good or not.
The hardware will add 100-120g, and the wing, I guess, around 50, probably 20 for the stabilizers, I think should fit into 300g, perhaps even 250.

Last edited by dirk gently on Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
dirk gently
dirk gently
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum