Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Rustolium spray paint. Cox_ba12

Rustolium spray paint. Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2021
davidll1984's

"RC car's modified Tee Dee"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Forum Store
CEF Ear Savers
Gallery

Rustolium spray paint. Empty

Rustolium spray paint.

Go down

Rustolium spray paint. Empty Rustolium spray paint.

Post  James42 Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:59 pm

Has anyone used rustolium spray paint on a model? is it fuel proof?
Anonymous
James42

Back to top Go down

Rustolium spray paint. Empty Re: Rustolium spray paint.

Post  944_Jim Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:10 pm

I am surprised "guests" can post...I thought one needed to be a registered user.
Please feel free to register, introduce yourself, and allow us to formerly welcome you to "this side of the CL circle." We like all toys...string-control, RC and Fire-and-Forget...also known as Free Flight. Laughing

I don't use it...yet. There is a lot of chatter over on StuntHanger, and it is positive. From what I've read (not experienced) is that you need to let it "cure" for a week to ten days. The cook-off period is the key!

Several here are fond of it, but I think they then topcoat with spray poly-urethane. I'm sure more opinions/personal testimonies will be posted. Wait for them.

Just curious...what are you putting it on? Open bay structure? Sealed balsa? We love build threads here.
944_Jim
944_Jim
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2019 Supporter

2020 Supporter

2021 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:32 am

I have used the krylon sprays and are good up tp 25% N i think the rustioum would bee the same anything over that does need to bee sealed with some spar urethane , And yes the dry time needs to bee 2 weeks to let it gas off . Welcome Guest !! Small Cox Logo Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2019 Supporter

2020 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:02 am

I'd be careful with using Rustoleum that you don't use the "2X" variety, which claims to cover better. You might find that it adds just a bit too much weight. I have used the normal Rustoleum spray cans which do go on very nicely. I can't attest to its fuel proof abilities as I'm yet to mount an engine to and fly the plane that I painted with it. I actually "baked" the paint on by sitting it beneath my wood burning heater. The finish seems very hard and nice and glossy.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:34 pm

I have two planes gifted to me with the Rustoleum finish. I strongly dislike it. It's not fuel proof even though many make claims it is. It eventually ends up sticky and it gets dirty with fingerprints as the finish become soft and taffy like. Rustoleum Stops Rust with the yellow symbol is what is claimed to be the fuel proof version. Colors are limited and the clear is ABSOLUTELY NOT FUEL PROOF.  I also find the finish heavy and adding polyurethane makes it even heavier. I'm using 10% nitro on my planes and raw fuel will attack it quickly. To circumvent disaster, I have sprayed just the  nose areas of these planes using a two part auto finish called Spray Max 2K. This isn't a Rustoleum product. This is a two part urethane which mixes in the can once you pop the plunger on the bottom of the can. The paint must be immediately used and if let sit, you may get 3 days of use out of it before it entirely hardens in the can. It costs about $25 a can but it works terrific for this application. I'm quite certain if a paint is going to kill you it's Spray Max 2K so read the cautions.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum