Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

"Pretty" engines - Page 3 Cox_ba12

"Pretty" engines - Page 3 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by 1/2A Nut Today at 12:08 am

» Happy Anzac Day!
by Boats13 Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 10:20 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Yesterday at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Yesterday at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

"Pretty" engines - Page 3 Empty
Live on Patrol

"Pretty" engines

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

"Pretty" engines - Page 3 Empty Re: "Pretty" engines

Post  layback209 Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:46 pm

I had to add a little to this thread. I'm guilty of liking the evo. I have a .36 controlline one. Pretty cool package, came with 3 venturi options, tongue muffler and regular baffled OS style muffler. It's wsy too heavey for my skyray build, going to try it on a smoothie I think it will balance better on that one.

Here's a now vintage hpi branded "kingstar" manufactured 5.9 abc engine next to my peewee. Cartoon Small Cox Logo Cool

"Pretty" engines - Page 3 Screen11

layback209
layback209
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:55 am

Very Happy  lol!  Savage x engine 😅 I have one me too "Pretty" engines - Page 3 Img_2253
Little trick with the hpi air filter the holes after the filter this space is too small Widen the holes to the maximum the slot inside especially When hpi has made these air filters it was long before the big block engine By experience the 5.9 engine, need lots more air Some people changes the filter for another and sees the change "Pretty" engines - Page 3 Img_2254
The wheelie bar is necessary wit this engine Without this he turns on his back every time we start too quickly lol!
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  layback209 Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:55 am

davidll1984 wrote:Very Happy  lol!  Savage x engine 😅 I have one me too "Pretty" engines - Page 3 Img_2253
Little trick with the hpi air filter the holes after the filter this space is too small Widen the holes to the maximum the slot inside especially When hpi has made these air filters it was long before the big block engine By experience the 5.9 engine, need lots more air Some people changes the filter for another and sees the change "Pretty" engines - Page 3 Img_2254
The wheelie bar is necessary wit this engine Without this he turns on his back every time we start too quickly lol!

Awesome Savage David, Charger body? I really like that engine on your stove. It's a beauty of a power plant. Easy to tune, tones of power. I have its cousin the axial .28, they are the same internally. If you ever need a new top end there is a shop local to me that has a bunch, let me know.

I haven't really got to run the 5.9. I bought a few used XLs on a ignorance whim and the engines ended up needing work, so swapped in a mach 427 I had. On one the the rod bottom wore out and punched a hole in the crank case, on the other the rod bottom is worn out and I caught it before it took our the crank case. I have a new rods to repair but haven't yet don't know what I want to do yet. Good to know about the filter thanks man. I might rebuild them sell and buy a new big red or something. Market seems very hot for nitro stuff these days. I don't know, maybe leave them in the graveyard.

I do have to say the Big Red is fugly to me, but a great engine.

"Pretty" engines - Page 3 20211215
layback209
layback209
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:41 am

Another thing is to add castor oil.I have surely tripled the life of my engine wit More oil and Good air fuel settings really help But it is known, it is the engine, there is a tendency to self-destruct It's good to know that you can find parts for this model I would take a cylinder piston assembly with a connecting rod for back up But for the moment it is always good I run it always very rich Surely by the time that I will need parts it will be impossible to find I would do better to plan and have spare parts Something else to say another thing the new replacement spur gear the replacement model with only one friction pad is bad dont use this wit a 5.9 try Find the old two pad spur gear the gear is same Thickness Not like the model made of thin metal it's just good to destroy the gear of the clutch to use the old style you will need one more piece the old style spur is hard To Find one
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  layback209 Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:27 pm

Here is thd .36 controlline evolution offering. I believe I paid $100 cad for it nib from the hobby shop. Some of the online information spoke rather highly of them. I just it on the wrong model. I didn't realize that a 35 sized classic airframe reflected a plain bearing engine from the 50 to the 70s. A modern la 25 would of been the better choice or a mccoy 35. This .36 is a ball bearing engine and more appropriate for a 40+ sized airframe, perhapsa smoothie, nobler or super chipmunk. I'll use it one day lol and decide for myself.

"Pretty" engines - Page 3 20211217
"Pretty" engines - Page 3 20211216
layback209
layback209
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:35 pm

I built this high-performance Cox .049 reed-valve engine for my "Rare Bear" entry to the 1st CEF Reed Speed contest in 2014. It doesn't seem like 8 years have passed since then.

"Pretty" engines - Page 3 4-24-114
"Pretty" engines - Page 3 3-13-112
"Pretty" engines - Page 3 4-24-115

The bottom-end is a stock billet AL case with stock steel crankshaft.

The back-end is a reproduction Cox Killer Bee-high-flow backplate from Cox International and has the flanged/cap-style reed-retainer and .005" Mylar reed. The NVA is a coarse-thread assy. with a HD spring and a grommet for keying-into a slot in the cowling to help dampen from vibration-induced needle-creeping.

"Pretty" engines - Page 3 3-13-113

The top-end has a Cox .049 cylinder from Cox International which was reworked to Tee Dee .049 porting-specs. It has sub-port induction and a high-compression glowhead.

"Pretty" engines - Page 3 1-25-112

It's been a no-joy experience though.. my friends. The Rare Bear has yet to have her mains leave terra firma. Suspect nose-heaviness to be a factor.. along with rough pavement. The engine is a Bear.. to start.. and I may need to de-compress with a timing-shim. I have a package of those sourced; I believe from EXModel Engines (Matt) in the nearby (to me) State of Connecticut.

This engine has been reconfigured more than once since its initial layout.

Below is the CEF 2017 "Tach Race" version with alternate (GB) crankcase and short-style needle. Note; the yellow cap on the needle is my own custom adaptation.

"Pretty" engines - Page 3 Needle12
"Pretty" engines - Page 3 Shippi11

CEF Mod. Ron Cribbs ran/CD'd the 2017 Tach Race. Thanks again Ron. It would be fun to introduce more CEF contests.. but I realize that someone needs to step-up (like Ron did..) and volunteer to be a director. Rules need to be established, posted, publicly-critiqued and accepted by all applicants before becoming official. What say ye? Smile

Last edited by roddie on Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : SP)
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:29 pm

Pretty engine roddie, pretty plane. Don't feel bad about the airborne issue, some things are better left looked at. Your Rare Bear qualifies.

I recall a youtube video of an older fellow flying C/L his beautifully rendered Nieuport 28, three line, throttle control. He eased the throttle open and gently lifted it into the air. Several low speed circuits then a wingover straight into the asphalt. The results were not pretty. youtube video presently available.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:33 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Pretty engine roddie, pretty plane.  Don't feel bad about the airborne issue, some things are better left looked at.  Your Rare Bear qualifies.  

I recall a youtube video of an older fellow flying C/L his beautifully rendered Nieuport 28, three line, throttle control.  He eased the throttle open and gently lifted it into the air.  Several low speed circuits then a wingover straight into the asphalt. The results were not pretty.  youtube video presently available.    

Oh............ yes... that was a painful thing to watch.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:35 pm

roddie wrote:
rsv1cox wrote:Pretty engine roddie, pretty plane.  Don't feel bad about the airborne issue, some things are better left looked at.  Your Rare Bear qualifies.  

I recall a youtube video of an older fellow flying C/L his beautifully rendered Nieuport 28, three line, throttle control.  He eased the throttle open and gently lifted it into the air.  Several low speed circuits then a wingover straight into the asphalt. The results were not pretty.  youtube video presently available.    

Oh............ yes... that was a painful thing to watch.

Guess you found it. 5:15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e8mMSZmJAA
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:37 pm

roddie wrote:I built this high-performance Cox .049 reed-valve engine for my "Rare Bear" entry to the 1st CEF Reed Speed contest in 2014. It doesn't seem like 8 years have passed since then.

Wow. 8 years. Seems like yesterday. I do very well remember the Rare Bear build and if I am not mistaken, I also seem to remember your little tank building tutorial after seeing your very well made rectangular tank. And well, heck, if I was wrong on the latter part, I guess my mind is slipping...... Very Happy
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:24 pm

NEW222 wrote:
roddie wrote:I built this high-performance Cox .049 reed-valve engine for my "Rare Bear" entry to the 1st CEF Reed Speed contest in 2014. It doesn't seem like 8 years have passed since then.

Wow. 8 years. Seems like yesterday. I do very well remember the Rare Bear build and if I am not mistaken, I also seem to remember your little tank building tutorial after seeing your very well made rectangular tank. And well, heck, if I was wrong on the latter part, I guess my mind is slipping...... Very Happy

You're correct Chancey. I thoroughly enjoyed building the tanks. So much.. that I did a thread on them somewhere here. The Rare-Bear folder on my external hard-drive contains 19 sub-folders/423 files..
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3