Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   Cox_ba12

Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» music vids.. some of your favorites
by Oldenginerod Today at 1:59 am

» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Yesterday at 2:45 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 11:22 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Yesterday at 5:33 am

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:28 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   Empty
Live on Patrol

Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   Empty Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.

Post  rsv1cox Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:55 pm

Note:  No Postal employees were hurt in this adventure.

Didn't plan it this way but everything arrived all at once.

Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P1012248

Not that I'm complaining, but I would rather have it dribble in.  First package, nice but not exciting.

Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P1012249
Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P1012250

What I have been waiting for.  I usually take unpacking pictures in case of damage.  Saved me and the seller one time when the PO destroyed an Aurora SE5A. Full refund on an expensive package.

Second package.

Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P1012252

Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P1012254

Third package.

Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P1012256

Beautiful. Smile

Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P1012255
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   Empty Re: Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.

Post  NEW222 Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:44 pm

Beautiful indeed. And only to get even better looking one day!
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   Empty Re: Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.

Post  ChaseBanner Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:42 pm

wow! those cars look untouched by 10 year old hands. great find! love the faded p-26(?i think), the vintage look suits my taste but what a joy to own a new looking vintage tether car. i know those are in good hands
ChaseBanner
ChaseBanner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:30 am

Somebody got something wrong when installing the intake stacks on the orange car.    Blue car is original.  White car has no throttle control, blue is locked up, orange works fine.

Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P1012257
Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P1012259
Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P1012258

Might be a bit more complicated than I first thought.  Engine mount posts on the parts plane far right just disintegrated when I removed the self tapping screws.  So, I need to adopt Rene's method of heating the screws with a pencil soldering iron before attempting to remove them, but my "good" iron has got up and walked away.  

Looks like the half winged plane went in left wing down. Makes sense. Wish they had recovered the other half, and the pilot, and the tail sections, and the windshield, and the........

Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P1012261
Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P1012260
Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P-26_c11

Better picture.  No wonder they crashed, I had enough trouble controlling just the elevator.......

Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P-26_c12

The plane on the far left/top has the third line throttle control, the others do not.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:19 pm

Interesting the little comic I wonder if we can start it let it idle then go back to the control handle Huh... I like this kind of thing cool stuf Airplane Thumbs Up
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:04 pm

davidll1984 wrote:Interesting the little comic I wonder if we can start it let it idle then go back to the control handle Huh... I like this kind of thing cool stuf Airplane Thumbs Up

Small chocks David. Smile

Just to see what would happen I took one of the castor crusted pieces and dipped it in Berryman's Parts Cleaner for 15 minutes. I read the instructions (again) - it says when doing carburators to remove the plastic pieces first. But it doesn't say - remove the plastic pieces first or lightening will strike you dead if you don't. So I proceeded.

Turned out pretty good.

Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P1012263

Also did the cowl. That stuff is amazing, nothing else touches that caked on goo in such a short period of time.

Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P1012264
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:39 pm

I see a (as in single) bright-metalized/chrome part that looks like it mounts over the faux-radial engine inside the cowling.

Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P1012210
Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P1012211

I was wondering if you might be able to reproduce a "2nd" using H/D AL foil.. by cutting a circular piece to size.. and laying it over the blue-plastic faux-radial and using a "toothbrush" to press the foil against to make the impression.. and then trim with scissors..?
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ChaseBanner Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:14 pm

does the throttle control work well or was it just a gimmick-ie thing that other plastic rtf models didnt have? how exactly was the throttled controlled? im sure theres more to it rather than just a extra line tied to the arm and some sort of spring return, seems lt would just fight ur flight with the elevator handle in one hand and the throttle in the other.
ChaseBanner
ChaseBanner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:46 am

Well Chase remember when you where 12 you had 4 arms and 6 hands and could control anything ! Very Happy Beautiful .045s Bob I know you said you wanted to get one but looks like your waist deep now , way to go enjoy !! I Love This Forum! Be watching the restorations of the Peashooters Popcorn
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:50 am

ChaseBanner wrote:does the throttle control work well or was it just a gimmick-ie thing that other plastic rtf models didnt have? how exactly was the throttled controlled? im sure theres more to it rather than just a extra line tied to the arm and some sort of spring return, seems lt would just fight ur flight with the elevator handle in one hand and the throttle in the other.

Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P1012265
Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P1012267
Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P1012266

I think just a gimmick but not cheap as it added almost 40% to the cost of the model according to the prices quoted in the ad above.  Yes, spring return, exhaust sleave (think Andras and Mauricio) see pictures below.  These were offered with both the throttle control and without, but I can't see an exit hole in the side of the fuselage on the "with" dark blue plane for the motor control line.  Seems in the cartoon above there should be an exit hole for it.

Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P1012269
Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P1012268

BTW, I finished cleaning the light blue plane (my guinea pig) by dunking the whole engine with the front of the fuselage in Berrymans while brushing the stuff all over the rest of the airframe.  Soft bristled brush, wing, decals and all.  Ham handed approach but it worked.  Wing roundels survived intact, but the side Thunderbirds suffered.  After, I washed with warm soapy water, more brush and rinsed in the sink with more warm water.  

Came out super clean from a castor crusted original.  I used Rene's "heat the self tappers" with a soldering iron (only I used a Welller gun) to remove the stuck needle and the engine with no damage.  The engine that came out is another story, but it will be replaced with the throttled engine. (Shown.)

roddie, I think that is a broken cylinder off the main radial that you are referring to.  I soaked it in Simple Green to remove the rest of the paint and when glued back together I will paint it aluminum.  

Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P1012270

Love the .045's Eric. But they just sit there, albiet looking quite good. Smile

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:49 am

I found this illustration which explains it.  

The throttle arm is supposed to be exterior to the fuselage, not inside it as presently pictured in the plane.  

Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P-26_i12
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:12 pm

ChaseBanner wrote:does the throttle control work well or was it just a gimmick-ie thing that other plastic rtf models didnt have? how exactly was the throttled controlled? im sure theres more to it rather than just a extra line tied to the arm and some sort of spring return, seems lt would just fight ur flight with the elevator handle in one hand and the throttle in the other.

ROGER RAMJET (aka: Gary Owens)  :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzls1EtwsP4
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:52 pm

Thanks Rene, saved it. Amazing how these engines start on the first flip. Huh...

I already had a cleaned-up throttle engine. Will substitute it for the original when I get around to putting it back together. How it should go.

Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P1012271
Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P1012272

Eager to take the other one out and see how the throttle arm got stuck up there.

Difference between a fuselage cleaned with parts cleaner and one that wasn't. Got to make a tail wheel, all my extras are too small.

Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P1012273

Started on a vertical stab/rudder. Rough trial fit. Running out of sheet balsa, had to piece it together. Nice to have an example to work from, not always the case. Two coats of Minwax sanding sealer then Krylon Yellow.

Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P1012274
Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P1012275

Did a little repair on the cowl. This plane gets all the broken parts. But the elevator works, and I am going to dacron all the controls. Roger Ramjet here, or more likely Bob the boob.

Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P1012277
Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P1012276

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:20 pm

If I had a dollar.. for every time someone called me "Roger (my name) Ramjet".... I could buy us both a nice dinner out.. with drinks. Laughing

You gave me a throttled Wenmac.. when you gifted me that box-o-engines back in September of 2017. I think this one's referred to as a Mk. XII "Thunderbolt"

Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   Wenmac10
Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   Wenmac11

I'll gladly mail it back to you, if you can use it on one of these recently acquired "Peashooters".. Smile

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:20 am

Thanks roddie, but I probably have a couple more hanging around here, enough to fit all three.

Rig it up on a plane, then you can become a real "Roger Ramjet." Smile

This one is turning out really nice, found the yellow paint that I used on the tri-motor's pontoons, it will work on the vert stab too.

Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P1012278

Repaired that broken cylinder too.

But, this is the one I really want to get into. I get to build a wing, or half wing and the tail section too.

Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P1012279
Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P1012280

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:11 pm

The most difficult part of this restoration.

With fingers fumbling like I'm playing the piano (you think I'm kidding) I cut out the old broken right side cowl locating bracket so I can graft in it's look-alike from the donor airplane. Cut it in a V for maximum contact area. Amazed that with the help of a locating board it came out fine. Glued it in with Testors red tube and backed up with the cut out piece. Should be ok.

Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P1012281
Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P1012283
Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P1012282

Everything trial fit. Engine throttle works fine, but all has to come apart as the nipple on the fuel tank was broken off. But I need a long heating element soldering iron to reach the embedded screws to loosen and remove them, coming. Cowl doesn't match but I'll live with it. Still have to paint the false cylinder array aluminum and a couple of other things before attempting to fly it.

Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P1012284
Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P1012285
Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P1012286

Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P1012287

Everybody going someplace. I think my house is on the arrival/departure routes for Baltimore and Washington DC's airports. I think the last time I was up there was in a DC-10 out of Denver bound for Dulles.

Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P1012288

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ChaseBanner Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:49 pm

I

[/quote]sky never looked like that when  we were young
ChaseBanner
ChaseBanner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:48 pm

Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   D4e2dd10
rsv1cox wrote:

Everybody going someplace.  I think my house is on the arrival/departure routes for Baltimore and Washington DC's airports.  I think the last time I was up there was in a DC-10 out of Denver bound for Dulles.

Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P1012288

Could only be one or two groups:

Xxxx. Pic one

It’s NOT funny without the pictures...... lol!

Xxxx  pic two.    Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   30da1810
    Will add when servming is up and running..

Last edited by Marleysky on Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:55 am

Chase and Rene............A little too much after Thanksgiving Chianti?  Smile Smile  I'm struggling to get it.  

Anyhow..........

Just for fun, I used dacron to hook up the three lines to see what it was like to use the controls.  Thought about using Kim's spyderwire but went old-school.

I was surprised how easy it was to operate the throttle line and the control lines too.  Throttle arm is perfectly positioned and the spring return works great.  Nice feel.  Not bad.

Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P1012289

Still work to do, that fuel tank thing, paint the false cylinders, windscreen, etc. etc.

Edit add:

Missed out on this one. NIB but didn't want it. Sits there. Changed my mind went back later and it was gone.

Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   Nib_p-11
Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   Nib_cy11
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ChaseBanner Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:12 am

thanks rsv1cox! although i have the coordination to fly a full collective heli upside down, right side up, etc., i think adding throttle to a cl plane would discombobulate my ability to fly an elevator only aircraft and more than likely end up in disaster

Last edited by ChaseBanner on Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : mispelling)
ChaseBanner
ChaseBanner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:12 am

ChaseBanner wrote:thanks rsv1cox! although i have the coordination to fly a full collective heli upside down, right side up, etc., i think adding throttle to a cl plane would discombobulate my ability to fly an elevator only aircraft and more than likely end up in disaster

You might be right Chase, but I'm betting you could do it with both eyes closed.  I didn't even try flying a model helicopter.  

Started on the "good" P-26 this morning, good meaning it's the only one that hadn't been crashed.  The throttle arm had slipped it's guide fin down to where the case meets the cylinder.  Not possible unless the engine is out of the model.  Strange as it was in the idle position.  

Used Rene's method (he should be on the payroll) to remove the mounting screws, only I again used the Weller.  Faster.

Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P1012290
Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P1012292
Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P1012291

I wanted to save the graphics so I just used the parts cleaner on the non-decaled parts of the plane, then washed in mild dishwashing detergent.  

Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P1012293

Nothing loosened the exhaust sleeve, stuck on tight so I had to remove the cylinder.  In the process I got the throttle arm all out of position.  Sad

Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P1012294
Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P1012295
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ChaseBanner Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:09 am

[quote="Marleysky"...yep yep
ChaseBanner
ChaseBanner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:35 pm

ChaseBanner wrote:[quote="Marleysky"...yep yep

Chemtrail conspiracy theory
The chemtrail conspiracy theory posits the erroneous belief that long-lasting condensation trails are "chemtrails" consisting of chemical or biological agents left in the sky by high-flying aircraft, sprayed for nefarious purposes undisclosed to the general public. Believers in this conspiracy theory say that while normal contrails dissipate relatively quickly, contrails that linger must contain additional substances. Those who subscribe to the theory speculate that the purpose of the chemical release may be solar radiation management, weather modification, psychological manipulation, human population control, biological or chemical warfare, or testing of biological or chemical agents on a population, and that the trails are causing respiratory illnesses and other health problems.

Not to worry. Reports are the President is looking into it.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:44 pm

rsv1cox wrote:
ChaseBanner wrote:[quote="Marleysky"...yep yep

Chemtrail conspiracy theory
The chemtrail conspiracy theory posits the erroneous belief that long-lasting condensation trails are "chemtrails" consisting of chemical or biological agents left in the sky by high-flying aircraft, sprayed for nefarious purposes undisclosed to the general public. Believers in this conspiracy theory say that while normal contrails dissipate relatively quickly, contrails that linger must contain additional substances. Those who subscribe to the theory speculate that the purpose of the chemical release may be solar radiation management, weather modification, psychological manipulation, human population control, biological or chemical warfare, or testing of biological or chemical agents on a population, and that the trails are causing respiratory illnesses and other health problems.

Not to worry.  Reports are the President is looking into it.  

make it stop.. please
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:01 pm

Ok............Smile

Except for the fuel line this thing is done, and I'm extremely happy with the outcome considering what I started with.  Painted the cylinders and everything snapped together like new.  Extraordinary considering the grafted in cowl/cylinder mount that requires a certain amount of elasticity. A testament to Testors Red Tube cement.  

Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P1012297
Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P1012298

Mike -sosam- has put me in contact with people that can make the correct size decals for all three variations.

Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P-26_g11

But, not all good news.  Disaster stuck.  As usual, I'm my own worst enemy. Instead of using the heat gun to loosen the stuck throttle sleave I used the torch.  Before I knew it, the control arm was glowing red.  Lost temper for sure I thought and I did.  It is not supposed to look like spaghetti.  But, the throttle sleave is free. Sad

Removed the cylinder from one of my Testor engines and substituted that, same dual bypass but no throttle control.

Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P1012299

Can't wait to see how I screw-up this one.  Perhaps the one I most look forward to.

Going Postal....Wen Mac P-26 and other things.   P1012300
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next