Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Do you have items you got just to pass down to your children? Cox_ba12

Do you have items you got just to pass down to your children? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by GallopingGhostler Today at 3:58 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:44 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Do you have items you got just to pass down to your children? Empty
Live on Patrol

Do you have items you got just to pass down to your children?

Go down

Do you have items you got just to pass down to your children? Empty Do you have items you got just to pass down to your children?

Post  fredvon4 Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:51 am

I have several in my closet new in box weapons, that I bought simply to pass to my Daughter and Son. Over the years, as a soldier, I bought and gave away or sold quite a few weapons. Occasionally my daughter or son would lament the loss of a rifle or pistol she/he hoped would some day be theirs. I had told many stories of how a gun was acquired, used or sold.

Example: in 1974 recently drafted (73) I was Army private stationed at Ft Lewis WA. Got married; new in-laws did a Elk/Deer hunt annually and I was expected to join that year.

Living in Barracks before married I did not own any rifles.

Off to Tacoma Sears where I found a Ted Williams Model 100 30-30 Lever ( Winchester 94) and a box of ammo. I put a side saddle mount and relatively cheap scope on it.

Off to the range to sight in and zero found LOP too short for my longish arms. Off to the on base wood shop where I found a Maple scrap that kinda matched the stock. With rifle on the table in the shop I machined the maple down to butt shape, removed butt plate, glued and screwed the extension on and reattached the butt plate. went back to the range and fired another few rounds fairly accurately from 50 to 150 yards. 3 weeks later in Olympic mountains I took a lot of crap from my in-laws, ( wife's brothers, cousins, Uncles) all having 7mm, 30-06, 243, 308s etc. First day out I saw a Bull Elk, took aim, and dropped it from about 110 yards.

The story of my skinny 143 lb self getting the animal out and back to camp is hilarious. As was the jaw drop of all my male in-laws disbelief that a 150g 30-30 could drop a bull Elk.

I later sold the rifle to a fellow soldier going off to a hunt as I was heading to Germany on Change of Station. Every time I told the story I could tell my son was disappointed that I sold that piece of family history.

After I retired I searched for a few years for a Ted Williams Model 100. Cost me a small fortune for a New In Box Safe queen at an estate sale. I took it on base (Ft Hood TX) and relived the LOP extension. 10 years later my son was asked by his uncle and cousins up in Utah to go with them on an Elk hunt. I got him a non resident hunt license and one of the cousins with a Bull Elk tag but could not go. Justen, my son was driving up from here Lampasas Texas and while he was packing to go I gave him the 30-30 with side scope. We went out back and he sighted it in. 3rd day out he shot and dropped a Bull Elk at he estimates 130 yards.

Back to unfired weapons on hand, there are 5 other NIB rifles/pistols, duplicates of weapons I previously had owned, each with a cool story about how I got, used or sold. One is for my adult daughter and 4 for my son at my passing. Each with a antique (ish) parchment, cursive hand written account of the "story" associated with the particular weapon.
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Do you have items you got just to pass down to your children? Empty Re: Do you have items you got just to pass down to your children?

Post  rsv1cox Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:51 am

I enjoyed your story Fred, especially about dropping the Elk with a 30/30.

My first serious deer hunt was with a Winchester model 94 30/30.  Walking down an old logging road in New Hampshire I saw a Buck deer not far away.  By the time I got over my first experience with "Buck fever" he was long gone.  

Many years later I wanted to hunt Dove in Virginia, but all I had was a Stevens 12 gage double barrel.  Went to the local Sears and found Ted Williams model 75 20 gage with a poly choke in a wooden barrel with a few other sale rifles.  Many a Dove succumed to that shotgun.  Cleaned them all. Still have it.

But, like present - planes, trains, and automobiles I sort out the worst examples to repair.  Among the sweetest was a little Marlin model 75 .22 with a shortened stock.  Some Dad had cut it back for a son or daughter.  It was as beat a rifle as I have ever seen.  Today it's one of my favorites.

My son gets all my stuff, I'm comfortable with that.

Last edited by rsv1cox on Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Do you have items you got just to pass down to your children? Empty Re: Do you have items you got just to pass down to your children?

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:04 am

I haven’t personally acquired anything for the sole purpose of passing it along. I do have a lot of stuff to pass down. I probably should update my will. My problem is I have 2 daughters as well as my son and neither of the girls are really into anything I have. So trying to come up with something that would be of use for them is hard.

I got a kick out of your 30/30 story. Next year both myself and son are able to Elk hunt. He turns 16 and that is legal age on Ft. Sill. We did take a Doe on the youth hunt this year. Wanted a Buck, but 0 hr on the last day a doe walked out so we took it, it was better than going home empty handed.

As with anything shot placement is key. My guess is you placed that shot quite well. Very rarely will an Elk drop instantly.

Ron

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  cstatman Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:40 am

YES YES YES! --- oh, so much this post. thank you - love the 30-30/elk. I have a model 94- bought used when I was 15, with lawnmower money. Dad's pal who sold it to me told me "it'll drop anything that walks, flies or crawls on our continent. You take care of it and it'll take care of you". Still one of my favorite rifles.

My son is 15, i've put up some pix. good kid, but all about computers. He will probably never hunt.
Before he died, my father bought a Henry Golden Boy 22LR and some smaller S&W .22 cowboy revolver for the kid. They both sit in the safe, tagged that they are for the boy. Boy's helped me clean them, just so he understands they are his, and how to maintain.

My old man ALSO had an Interarms 45lc Virginian Dragoon 8" barrel that he loved. When baby-sister started dating (80s), Dad has one rule. the boy MUST come in the house to pick her up, and must greet both parents. Dad, of course, would be sitting in a v-neck undershirt, in his favorite chair, cleaning the dragoon. Asking the boy "you got a watch young man? don't make me come looking for you after 10p. look at my face. That's what I want you to see. Anything you do to her? I will do to you..... blah blah".

OF COURSE, the one kid my sister really liked? "Mr. Statman sir, thats a mighty fine single-action 45lc. My folks have some land down the road. You wanna come target shooting tomorrow morning sir?" They got along great. Sadly, the sister-relatinship turned to great friends as the young man left to join the navy. He would check in on my dad any time he was on leave, and was at the funeral, supporting my sister almost 25 years later..... Character and class. a good kid.

My father left strict instructions that my son, his grandson, was to have that gun too, and if Saul had daughters, was to be instructed in the correct way to greet potential suitors.

I have bought toys, guns, models, that I loved as a kid, with the hopes my kid would also show interest. He liked tinkertoys, erector sets, but now? computer-computer.

HAving a page of instructions iin your estate plan, what goes where, and why? is very good idea.
cstatman
cstatman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:59 am

I haven’t bought anything just to pass it down. I don’t own any guns either.

There are some things that I know my sons might be interested in. The older one is ”mechanically inclined”, he’ll probably want my tools and such. Our tastes in motorcycles differ, so if I still own the Harley or the Honda when I croak, they will probably be sold. The younger is a computer guy, he has shown some interest towards my hifi gear. But our tastes in music don’t overlap that widely, he streams his stuff on spotify and I play most of mine on LP’s and CD’s  Old Bugger So, if my modest collection of music is of no interest, there’s not a lot of use for my turntable or CD player either. I sort of hope he’ll keep my amplifier though Smile

Model airplane stuff, stamp collection, books, furniture... I doubt there is anything they’d want. Kids today are different, seems like my generation is the last one that has all these traditional middle class ideals Huh...

I guess I’ll try to do the opposite, i.e. leave a small, well ”curated” collection of things, maybe list the very few valuable items there might be. I am currently in a process of getting rid of a lot of misc accumulated ”stuff”, and organizing the rest. I do still add Cox engines, stamps, music albums etc to my collections, but at the same time offload things that don’t fit in the collections. I do this mostly for my own sanity, but I hope my heirs will appreciate it too  Smile
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:20 am

Kari's note made me wonder the age of his children now, as I remember when mine were in their teens I was certain neither would be interested in my "old guy" hobby stuff...guns, aircraft, motorcycles, guns, HAM radio, and a pretty significant tho very dated, stereo system for tape, LP, casset, dvd, all centered around a early 1970s Sansui 9090 DB a quad amp with stereo front and rear outs, JBL Century 100 studio monitors, Bose 900s, Teak 12" reel to reel, graphic equalizer, Kenwood Granit base (heavy) Turn Table with very high end cartridge, and over 400 albums from 1967 to 1985. Mostly rock, jaz, and blues.

as they aged (now 40s) there are things I am trashing, giving away, or some sales...BOTH have said many times some of the stuff they want....just because it is OLD GUYs hobby stuff. My son may never fly any of my planes or set up the HAM station...but he has many years of helping me and watching me enjoy my stuff....same with Paula and the stereo. Like in some movies, I suspect she will cue up one or more of my favorite Blues albums and just remember her dad jamming in his pop pop chair
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:57 am

I'm pleased and a little surprised that Kari is a stamp collector.  Didn't think that anyone did that any more.  

I was in good company, Franklin Delano Roosevelt and I collected stamps in the same time.  From as far back as I can remember and into my early teens when I found girls, guns, and cars then all that went away, but the collection survives.    

Do you have items you got just to pass down to your children? P1012399
Do you have items you got just to pass down to your children? P1012400
Do you have items you got just to pass down to your children? P1012401

But for years, Aunts, Uncles, and friends kept sending me stamps.  Anything I think to keep me off the streets and out of trouble.  But hope rings (or is it springs) eternal, I just added a P-26 Peashooter First Day of Issue.

Ah, it is "springs" - The definition of "hope springs eternal" is: people always want to be optimistic. "hope springs eternal" means. people always want to be optimistic.

One of the few things that I haven't specified.  One of the kids will be saddled with it.  Good fire starter maybe.  

Correction to above, deer hunt was a Marlin 30/30 not Winchester, that didn't come until much later.  A memory is a terrible thing to waste.  Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:25 pm

Indians killed Elk and Bear long before white man introduced smooth or rifled black powder and lead weapons
Early cartridge rifles were usually pistol cartridge based. Of course massacaring 100,000s+ of buffalo, saw a lot of high powered, for the day, 45or 50 calx 50/70/90/100/110 cartridges, all denoting the black powder charge (in grains) shoving a 250/455 grain 45 caliber projectile

The iconic Winchester 94 30-30 and other sizes have collectively killed more deer and elk than any other rifle...mostly because they were cheap, reliable and tens of thousands were bought and used for over 70 years of early settlement in USA down through Mexico and into central/south America

My dad started training me in ethical hunting at age 8 for dove and pheasant, age 10 for deer and age 14 for my first elk, along the way a lot of camping, fishing and field craft and lost in woods life saving stuff. So by the time I was drafted I sort of was the country boy (but not really) in basic that only needed to be taught how to disassemble, assemble, load and safe, shoot, make safe and unload then a lot of CLEANING... At the range I nearly immediately moved out of the fox hole and sent to help coach guys who never touched a rifle before that week.

Ethical shooting demands you know your ability, the rifle and ammo capability, importantly the animals anatomy, and good set of eyes...Younger I was blessed with 20/10. Each Deer of Elk I killed was over the open sights, stabilized left side against a tree usually kneeling. On that 30-30 the el cheapo side mount scope ( top eject for those no familiar with early Winchester lever guns) was mostly to spot scan for animals and I was good at ranging distance based on size in the Vee reticle. I have never shot at any moving animal except birds.
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:04 pm

Fred, my boys are 19 and 16, kids still... The older started his engineering studies this fall, but takes a year’s break to do the military service, starting January. The younger is in high school. Both very good kids, they make me proud. Both taller than me already (I’m 5’11”) Very Happy

The older son has my old kit-built speakers and my previous amp in his room. My current system is a kit-built small tube amp, an Italian ”high-ish end” CD player that I bought second hand, and a vintage Lenco turntable that I have been tinkering with. Speakers are restored early ’70s 3-ways with 8” woofers. Pretty good setup for what it is.

Bob, stamp collecting was one of my childhood hobbies, took a long break, but returned to it maybe 15 years ago. I just dabble with it, just like with most things. The collection I am building is Finnish stamps, but have a lot of foreign stuff too. A lot of them in boxes and envelopes, should get my butt in gear and get a couple more albums and organize the foreign stamps too. And pare down, definitely.

KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:36 pm

When you say foreign, you mean everything not Finnish, right? Wish when I had my collection out I had checked my Finnish stamps.

I don't buy "book" stamps any more, just sheet issues. Working on the "Go for broke" issue right now. Honors the 442 Regimental combat team made up of Japanese American soldiers serving in Italy during WW2, the most decorated unit in American history.

I tend not to use the whole sheet saving some of the most memorable.

Do you have items you got just to pass down to your children? P1012402

You can still buy this issue on-line from the postal system shipped free.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:46 pm

Yes, by ”foreign” I meant ”not Finnish” Smile

I think I’ll just gather the foreign stamps I have, pick the nicest examples and arrange them in an album or two, one country per page or something like that. Then just sell/donate/trade the rest.

BTW, there are a few stamps from around the world that have model airplanes as subject Smile That would make a nice collection, compact too, as there are only maybe 20-30 different ones to collect Very Happy
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  modelbuilder49 Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:48 pm

Yeah, I do but now, I doubt anything will last for very long after I'm gone Sad . I'm a lifelong modeler with quite a collection of kits, built up and ready-to-fly model airplanes and ready to sail boats, engines (many of which have never been run), a complete NFL Superbowl train set with a complete collection of the cars from inception until Mantua stopped producing, multiple different chess sets, some coin and paper money collection, etcetera, etcetera! I fear the garbage man will just add to the landfill another ton of, to my kids and grandkids, worthless memorabilia. All I know is, I had a ball collecting the stuff Shocked

Jim Carter
modelbuilder49
modelbuilder49
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:49 pm

KariFS wrote:I haven’t bought anything just to pass it down. I don’t own any guns either.

There are some things that I know my sons might be interested in. The older one is ”mechanically inclined”, he’ll probably want my tools and such. Our tastes in motorcycles differ, so if I still own the Harley or the Honda when I croak, they will probably be sold. The younger is a computer guy, he has shown some interest towards my hifi gear. But our tastes in music don’t overlap that widely, he streams his stuff on spotify and I play most of mine on LP’s and CD’s  Old Bugger So, if my modest collection of music is of no interest, there’s not a lot of use for my turntable or CD player either. I sort of hope he’ll keep my amplifier though Smile

Model airplane stuff, stamp collection, books, furniture... I doubt there is anything they’d want. Kids today are different, seems like my generation is the last one that has all these traditional middle class ideals Huh...

I guess I’ll try to do the opposite, i.e. leave a small, well ”curated” collection of things, maybe list the very few valuable items there might be. I am currently in a process of getting rid of a lot of misc accumulated ”stuff”, and organizing the rest. I do still add Cox engines, stamps, music albums etc to my collections, but at the same time offload things that don’t fit in the collections. I do this mostly for my own sanity, but I hope my heirs will appreciate it too  Smile

Wow.. this thread is thought-provoking. silent not that I don't think about my mortality.. but reading others' posts puts a different spin on the subject.

"Model airplane stuff, stamp collection, books, furniture... I doubt there is anything they’d want. Kids today are different, seems like my generation is the last one that has all these traditional middle class ideals"  Huh...

Yea.. I feel the same way Kari.. and it's somewhat of a comfort to know that we both share that feeling. I don't have any firearms either.. but neither do my kids.

I assume that my kids wouldn't have use for a lot of my stuff.. but I could be wrong about that. If I croaked tomorrow.. my poor wife would have to deal with all of my model-related materials.. and there's a LOT to sort through. I hope to have a liaison in place by then. An entity that my wife can contact, that will help to find homes for my modeling-hobby stuff.

My pro-audio gear would go to my kids.. but I honestly hope to "get out and play an acoustic gig"............ soon.  Cool oh yea.. I've been itch'n to play again. The pandemic squelched that activity just 2 years after I retired from StilBurnin'. I digress..

My dad (Roger/Roddie Sr.) passed away on November 7th this past. He was both; a musical and aero-modeling influence in my life. He left me with a lifelong love for both.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  layback209 Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:54 pm

Fredvon4, thanks for sharing.  Enjoyed reading the 30-30 story.  I don't have much experience but have fired a few, and that is by far my favorite rifle.  

My mind has drifted around trying to think about some of these very things if something were to happen to me in the short term.  I have some ideas and am in the mist of getting the wills finalized.  I really like the idea of including a hand written story.  I have a few multi generational ones in mind now.  

Interesting about the antique electronics mentioned, I can relate to being interested in my Dad's old speaker systems (I'm 35 so similar age).  They were a kit build that he put together.  I think he mentioned they were called heat or heath kits.  The speakers sound phenomenal and take almost no power to drive them.  I've always sorta been interested though.

I do have one air cartridge 6 shot revolver that was passed down to me when I was 10 or so.  I think it's a Crosman from the late 50s to early 60s.  Skookum came with a blacked leather holster, easily mistake it for the real deal.  Rebuilt it with my dad. Then went out to learn to shoot cans.  It was so heavey I could hardly hold it for long.  Still have it tucked in the attic. Maybe that would be a good one to add some family stories too and bring out when my kids are older. I think what I enjoyed most about the air revolver was spending time with my Dad.

I'm basically trying to get my kids exposed to as much as possible if they have a connection here and their I'll take note.  I know my youngest is very mechanically inclined and would definitely be interested in the old 10f atlas lathe that was passed to me from my dad's side.  Also have a Peter write anvil from my mom's side that holds a lot of sentimental value to me. Be nice if that one stayed in the family for a few more 100 years lol.  But in today's age those skills are not as common anymore. New digital ones are.
layback209
layback209
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:51 am

roddie wrote:
I assume that my kids wouldn't have use for a lot of my stuff.. but I could be wrong about that. If I croaked tomorrow.. my poor wife would have to deal with all of my model-related materials.. and there's a LOT to sort through. I hope to have a liaison in place by then. An entity that my wife can contact, that will help to find homes for my modeling-hobby stuff.

Yea, I don't want to sound morbid, but I would hate to leave my family with the currently unsorted mess that I call "my collections". In addition to my model airplane and Cox engine stuff, I have motorcycle parts, books, stamps, LP's, CD's, various "antiques" etc stashed and scattered all over. Too much trouble for my loved ones to sort and deal with, should I depart before I am ready. Just hauling all the stuff to scrap would be quite an effort, I don't want to leave a legacy like that. Other than that, I don't much care about what happens to my stuff, it's just stuff after all, not to be taken as a burden.

KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:54 am

Well this is kind of touchy had to see if wee were in the redneck zone first Very Happy So what is left that i would like my son to cherish after I depart this body ? I had 21 guns of all sorts 12 ga. marlin pump kit with short grip marlin 22 short and long rifle short barrel 20" or so / 357 trooper 8" B paratrooper and long B 7.62×39mm 308 mouser or something like that in military style , 2-3 single shot 12 ga. shotguns 22 Stevens PT style target pistol name eludes me anyway i can find that one (I heed it years ago ) and some others ... Nice 1978 Ibanez's elect. guitar coupe Acoustics Yamaha , 100watt. fender twin reverb another fender 30W . The gold ring my Dad had made from his mothers jewelry after she passed in 1992 , My Dads necklace he had wore for 40yrs. AnyWay All this stuff accept the 100W Has been stolen by him and his want to be friends that talked him into things !?! I think he has already got all he will from ME and If he don't get his stuff together he want even have this house/land 7 acres to live at.. I am done here thanks for sharing i hope no one thinks any less of me than they did Old Bugger

getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:26 am

Like Roddie I lost my Dad last September. NOT CCPflu. He always enjoyed tinkering with firearms and gave me my first rifle at 13.
A Winchester lever gun.  I don't know how many firearms he has but think I will be filling my pickup bed to bring them here from Georgia. I have one safe and it is full, if one goes in one goes out. In my lifetime I have seen the dollar lose 80% of its purchasing power. The current situation tells me this will get much worse. I will be leaving behind gold, silver and real estate.
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  cstatman Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:49 am

got a call from a buddy yesterday - his dad died. not covid. not unexpected.
Of course I went over with a small bottle of whiskey and a meat and cheese tray from the grocery store.

We sat and talked for hours. MOSTLY - about this discussion.
My pal? great collectons, NO Kids.
now he wiill have to go through his dad's collections.

As Kari mentioned - dont want to leave a burden for others.....

Our weak attempts to solve all the worlds problems? kept refocusing on THIS discussion.
What do we do with our loved collections, so my kid, or his wife, don't have to sort through it.

Easiest answer - Inventory what ya got, what its worth, and what friend to call after we kick off, who can help sell/distribute to other lunatics who collect same stuff ---- so it doesnt just go in the trash, and the kids/wife dont worry they are giving away milliions of dollars.

Another pal? when his dad died? made packets, 2 or 3 books, 2 or 3 cds, and sent these packets to all his friends. the request was simple "when you read/listen to? think about my dad"

i think thats kinda cool too

Anyhow - lets fly em while we can, and enjoy the good times while we are here.

C

cstatman
cstatman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:54 pm

Well, this is definately an interesting subject. While I will admit that I have honestly thought a little bit about this in teh past on and off briefly. As well, we do not have any children, so nobody family-wise to leave our stuff to. As well, we do not have really anything of value, so will fortunately not be a big deal. With that said about of no value, that is physically. But what we do have is worth something to us. Unfortunately, I do not see todays generation playing with our little engines enjoying them as we do. Too much computers and such. There are a few, but not many. But until that big day comes, I will just keep enjoying playing with what I got! If I don't, I am pretty sure nobody else will.

But on another note. A co-worker is also into RC flying, and we kind of have an agreement that should something happen to either of us, we will help the others family/spouse out.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:20 pm

I belong to a club and many members have passed and some are currently in the process. I've witnessed this at least 2 dozen times over the past 20 years. All of your stuff will end up on a table for sale and half or more will remain there. This brings the vultures out who have Tyrannosaurus Rex arms that can't reach their wallets in their pockets. No one wants to pay the proper values of the merchandise and consider yourself lucky if you even achieved 1/3 of the value if they do. If your a control line hobbyist, this is even worse due to those involved are the most frugal of the bunch. If newspaper could fly, they would fly it until the print came off. This is why EBAY makes for the best choice. Even with the fees, you won't obtain the same $$$ value through friends or swap meets. Swap meets , flea markets are the poorest means of exchanging your goods for $$$$. Everyone is there for a bargain and values placed on items are subjected to be downgraded in cost automatically.

If engines for instance have 1 part missing regardless of condition, no box, instructions, etc., it's a parts engine. Parts are becoming increasingly difficult to source and the needed parts usually missing cost more than a replacement engine with the needed parts. One can inventory everything and it essentially becomes meaningless in the end. I'm not trying to sound like a Debbie Downer but it's the truth and I wish those with big plans for their collection the best of luck.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:15 am

I started this hobby as a collector. A couple years into it I saw time and again those who pass on have their collections dismantled and sold for pennies on the dollar. Around the same time I grew into a sense of my own mortality. So, I don’t collect anymore, although I do have a collection of useable engines. I also buy parts to keep those engines going during my lifetime. That could end tomorrow or 40 years from now. I have absolutely no concern over what happens to my junk. Hopefully before I die I will have enough foresight to see it coming and thin the herd. Problem is most of my friends that are into this stuff are much older than I am.

Worst case I will leave it all to my son who can do what he wishes with them.

I tend to think of this Bible verse from time to time…

““Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal,”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭6:19‬ ‭
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:02 am

My son is not indulged in model airplanes and engines, and with no immediate  friends in the hobby,  I would probably put in my will that my wife or whoever outlives me  should send all my engines to one of you guys for distribution among interested CEF members...not that I really could, or want to influence what comes after I go, but I would still hate to think of my engines ending up in a junkyard with other metals disposed of without any sentiments...
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:11 am

When I first joined the forum 10 yrs ago I wanted to start flying 1/2 A again after like 50 yrs. The number one issue was finding a field down here. I contacted several RC clubs and was treated like a leper. I developed balance problems and vertigo cause of inner ear issues. I gave up and started collecting. When the time comes most of my Cox stuff is going to Jacob. Our fearless leader, then its his problem. HaHa!!
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:53 pm

Not really connected to the cox motor but I have kept a lot of things from my father I had a lot of trouble getting rid of a single thing like running results from the time he was racing Old stuff like a racing seat Momo Steering wheel So many things but among them objects that I had no idea what it could be some Old machinist's tool Like this one that I used over time to re-adjust motorcycle wheels to make them straight Do you have items you got just to pass down to your children? Img_2256
Do you have items you got just to pass down to your children? Img_2255
This old Magnetic Adjustable base Indicator Holder with Dial Indicator Needs good cleaning and restoration What i'm gonna do cause i'm gonna use this tool Much more now While waiting to buy another good indicator Me too I hope my boy can make good use of my old stuff I have a special gift for him that I reserve for one of his birthday it's a kyosho espo Larousse .049 powered New in the box also a 1995 gtp cox new in its box in the meantime I want to recycle all that I can I like to give a second life to old things like cox engine.. plane.. cars boat I would be happy to take care of yours when you are no longer there Like other people do for me, I would like to share with young passionate people one day When I would be too old To use it I believe that I would like to distribute them myself not that someone else except for the thing don I could not leaveDo you have items you got just to pass down to your children? Img_2257
This one, I would bring it to my grave I hope my son will take good care of it Pray that they don't sell it for the mony$$$ Money Toss Burning Cash Crying or Very sad
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down