Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Gilbert SkyFlash - Maybe not trash after all Cox_ba12

Gilbert SkyFlash - Maybe not trash after all Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 5:40 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Today at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Today at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Today at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Today at 3:08 pm

» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by fit90 Today at 2:52 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Today at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Today at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:46 pm

» Re-manufactured Enya .06-II for Boats13
by Boats13 Yesterday at 7:32 pm

» TD 09 Ducted Fan
by getback Yesterday at 8:41 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Gilbert SkyFlash - Maybe not trash after all Empty
Live on Patrol

Gilbert SkyFlash - Maybe not trash after all

Go down

Gilbert SkyFlash - Maybe not trash after all Empty Gilbert SkyFlash - Maybe not trash after all

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:50 pm

For a plastic airplane there are a lot of things that I like about it.

First of all it was built to fly.  While it resembles a trainer there is not another full scale or model that resembles it.  The wing is the thing.  Airfoil, not a flat sheet of plastic or balsa.  The bell crank is unique and something that I'm still trying to figure out.

This one was flown and flown a lot.  Not a one and done like many.  The engines starter works, and the engine has perfect compression.  I Removed the glow head and the combustion chamber is clean, but the head is bad. Ok I have more heads.  I could not get the back-plate off despite my best efforts.  But I do give up easy on these.  

The fuel tank is neat, comes apart with a single screw, but it has a crack that the PO tried to fix, I removed the glue, epoxy I think, I have a better fix.

Hydrogen peroxide is not an option.  Hot castor and fuel have wormed their way deep into the plastic.  Celebrate it or paint.  Think I will celebrate.  Broken cowl is an easy fix.

Gilbert SkyFlash - Maybe not trash after all Dscn1711
Gilbert SkyFlash - Maybe not trash after all Dscn1712
Gilbert SkyFlash - Maybe not trash after all Dscn1710
Gilbert SkyFlash - Maybe not trash after all Dscn1714
Gilbert SkyFlash - Maybe not trash after all Dscn1713
Gilbert SkyFlash - Maybe not trash after all P1012460

Gilbert SkyFlash - Maybe not trash after all Dscn1716
Gilbert SkyFlash - Maybe not trash after all Dscn1715
Gilbert SkyFlash - Maybe not trash after all Dscn1717
Gilbert SkyFlash - Maybe not trash after all Dscn1719
Gilbert SkyFlash - Maybe not trash after all Dscn1718
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Gilbert SkyFlash - Maybe not trash after all Empty Re: Gilbert SkyFlash - Maybe not trash after all

Post  NEW222 Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:41 pm

rsv1cox wrote:The bell crank is unique and something that I'm still trying to figure out.

Just a guess, but I may be wrong. would the two holes on the straight piece be screwed or riveted to the plane somewhere, somehow as a bellcrank mount, then the remaining three holes be for up and down elevator as well as the third hold for the pushrod? Spring may also be attached to one of the holes as a 'safety' as was the rubber band on the Lil Wizard?
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Gilbert SkyFlash - Maybe not trash after all Empty Re: Gilbert SkyFlash - Maybe not trash after all

Post  batjac Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:06 pm

rsv1cox wrote:The bell crank is unique and something that I'm still trying to figure out.

Gilbert SkyFlash - Maybe not trash after all Dscn1712

The way it works is that the left side of the bar is screwed to the fuselage.  You can see that the hole is enlarged.  The right side of the bar with the small hole has one end of that spring going through it.  The other end of the spring is attached to the fuselage.  I don't know if this is so that the spring acts as strain relief on the fuselage if a large flight load is imposed on the bellcrank by a wind gust or overenthusiastic pilot.  But it allows the bellcrank to have a little "give" in it.

The Enthusiastic Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:40 pm

I replied last night to Robert's questioning of the bellcrank, in his other thread (the one with "trash" in the title.. Laughing ) I'm guessing that the floating "mount" with the spring on one end may have been an effort to dampen over-controlled input on the handle end.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:59 pm

We've had this discussion before.   lol!
https://www.coxengineforum.com/t6486-gilbert-gadget
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:55 am

Oldenginerod wrote:We've had this discussion before.   lol!
https://www.coxengineforum.com/t6486-gilbert-gadget

It's good going back to that thread Rod, a little before my time here.  

This picture has the control line leads going in the wrong direction.

Gilbert SkyFlash - Maybe not trash after all Gilber19

The Gilbert ad has them right.

Gilbert SkyFlash - Maybe not trash after all Leads_10

Mark has it correct, you can remove the limit screw and get full control.  At least Gilbert put some thought in it, didn't just throw a half-moon in there with three holes.  

Gilbert SkyFlash - Maybe not trash after all P1012461

The only hard point other than the pivot is the screw on the left.  

Gilbert SkyFlash - Maybe not trash after all P1012462
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  cstatman Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:10 am

that twin stack sure cleans up pretty... Smile

speaking of ODD control line bellcrank/configurations - anyone here mess with Stanzel single line???
cstatman
cstatman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:44 am

cstatman wrote:that twin stack sure cleans up pretty... Smile

speaking of ODD control line bellcrank/configurations - anyone here mess with Stanzel single line???

I had read about it years ago.  Looked it up.  One on ebay right now for $29.95

Gilbert SkyFlash - Maybe not trash after all Stanze10

Trying to put the Gilbert back together.

Main mount screw to join the two halves.  Machine screw with a nut, no self tappers that can hog out.   For want of a 4/40 X 1 1/4" missing in the original.  Got 5's but slightly too large for the access hole.  Might have one out in the remote garage, cold - 4 this morning, it can stay there until it warms up.

Gilbert SkyFlash - Maybe not trash after all Dscn1725

Also missing were the two 2/56's that retain the engine.  I always thought the two holes in the Gilbert engines were insufficient.  But the holes are tapped and the engines sit in a cradle which Gilbert offset to the outside for C/L flying.

Gilbert SkyFlash - Maybe not trash after all Dscn1720
Gilbert SkyFlash - Maybe not trash after all Dscn1721
Gilbert SkyFlash - Maybe not trash after all Dscn1722
Gilbert SkyFlash - Maybe not trash after all Dscn1724

I pity the people that had to assemble these plastic model planes.  I would think mostly women, tiny nimble fingers and patience.  Men have neither, at least I don't.

Model locomotives, much worse.  Tiny 00 and 000 screws and parts.  I have watched videos of Chinese women assembling locomotives, rows of them each with a job to do.  Amazing eyes and coordination.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  706jim Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:38 am

I took one of those little helicopters apart that had stopped working. It's truly amazing what engineering goes into them plus all the design and mold work to make the plastic parts. All for a retail price of $20-$30.
706jim
706jim
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:12 pm

While we're looking at Gilbert stuff, how about this?
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/265357942640?hash=item3dc890df70:g:Bz0AAOSwyo1hPi6J
My first Gilbert(s) was purchased from Virginia Hobbysports (Henry Werner) probably 8-10 years ago.  Came with the hanging card (opened and engine removed for clean-up), fuel tank, fuel line, screws, control line, wrench, mufflers, the lot apart from a prop & spinner.  Cost me $25.00.  Wish I had of packed it all away as an investment if they reckon they can bring this much these days.  Crazy Eyes

By the way, the wrong prop for this engine is included, being one off of an .07. The 11 had a 7" prop.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:40 pm

I saw that Rod.  Also saw the price.  I would offer $14.99 for the engine and $20 for the package.  Smile

I never did find a longer 4/40 machine screw, amazing that the longest 4/40 that McMaster-carr offers is 1 1/2".  Good thing that I didn't.  I have a bunch of #5's (Those pesky go-missing Cox engine prop screws) that I bought in 2" lengths that fit fine.  I just didn't have all three sections perfectly aligned - top and bottom fuselages and the landing gear.  When I did, the #5 slipped right in.  You can always cut a screw off to shorten it, but you can't add length.  Which reminds me of the old carpenter's joke.  "I've cut this board off three times and it's still too short."  Smile

Gilbert SkyFlash - Maybe not trash after all Dscn1726
Gilbert SkyFlash - Maybe not trash after all Dscn1727

Found a couple of pilot guys and friction fitted them in.  Flyable once I replace the burned-out glow head.  

The bell-crank is still a mystery.  With the limiting peg in place there is no "up" just a whole lot of down.  That expansion spring is not a weakling, takes a lot of pull to expand it.  I have tried it many ways and it seems to have little effect on the BC.  

I polished the landing gear with a scrunge pad and aluminum cleaner but that's it.  Parts cleaner reduced the castor stain but I'm leaving it.  When I'm finished with it, it just gets a coat of Howards wax which really brings out the red.  

Gilbert SkyFlash - Maybe not trash after all Dscn1729
Gilbert SkyFlash - Maybe not trash after all Dscn1728

I made a replacement for one of the missing lead-outs.

Gilbert SkyFlash - Maybe not trash after all Dscn1731

Gave me a chance to observe the elevator. this is full up with the limit peg in place:

Gilbert SkyFlash - Maybe not trash after all Dscn1732

This is full down:

Gilbert SkyFlash - Maybe not trash after all Dscn1733

Anyone know where I can find black spinners for these, let me know.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:24 am

The controls seem incorrect. They would  need to be the other way around, that's far too much down.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:38 am

A lot of differences from a cox for sure , there is a good amount of right thrust to the engine , and thats weird with all the down and don't look like ti can go any other way to correct it . Shocked
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:37 am

Then you make it go the other way. lengthen the pushrod
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:53 am

Ken Cook wrote:       Then you make it go the other way. lengthen the pushrod
Wow if i have became that lost I really need to build something (slap in the face ) Thanks Ken !
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:43 am

Ken Cook wrote:The controls seem incorrect. They would  need to be the other way around, that's far too much down.

Strange isn't it. But I have it back to as I received it, and the bell crank is the same as all the others that I have seen. I have another one coming next week in better condition so I will compare the two. May be part of their "Auto Co-pilot" "Preventing over-control" system. You just can't get into trouble with little to no up. We shall see.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:21 am

Definitely not a trash You can see that it has been used a lot he survived so far he should survive the next ones I like the look of this plane the engine is pretty cool too I think the end result is going to be awesome. I think once you finish you won't want to fly it anymore me I would be unable to unhook it from the wall from the fear of destroying it because it would be a shame a plane that has survived all this time there must not be many planes like it left Flying Airplane cheers
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:50 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:While we're looking at Gilbert stuff, how about this?
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/265357942640?hash=item3dc890df70:g:Bz0AAOSwyo1hPi6J
My first Gilbert(s) was purchased from Virginia Hobbysports (Henry Werner) probably 8-10 years ago.  Came with the hanging card (opened and engine removed for clean-up), fuel tank, fuel line, screws, control line, wrench, mufflers, the lot apart from a prop & spinner.  Cost me $25.00.  Wish I had of packed it all away as an investment if they reckon they can bring this much these days.  Crazy Eyes

By the way, the wrong prop for this engine is included, being one off of an .07.  The 11 had a 7" prop.

How about this Rod: Two new engines covered with cosomoline, four props, two tools, four heads plus mounting hardware for $45.00.

Gilbert SkyFlash - Maybe not trash after all P1012466
Gilbert SkyFlash - Maybe not trash after all P1012465
Gilbert SkyFlash - Maybe not trash after all P1012467

Just got them today. They have the different smaller starter.

He must have a bunch as he's still offering them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165296042230?hash=item267c6970f6:g:Ak0AAOSwaT1h7E9H

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:51 pm

They look like the kits that Steve (sb1photo) was offering a few years back. He had a lot of Gilbert inventory. That's a pretty good price.
My concern is that it looks like they have plier marks of the fins. Otherwise they look new. Maybe roughly dismantled to free them up from new as they did seem to have the habit of locking up after years of sitting.
That's just a prop driver Bob. No starter spring in these.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:20 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:
That's just a prop driver Bob. No starter spring in these.

That crossed my mind Rod, I should have checked first before saying that.  Just wishing I think.  Sad  The first batch I got out had the starter, so I dug deeper and found these:

Gilbert SkyFlash - Maybe not trash after all P1012468

Good thing I did, one has a prop with the black spinner that I have been looking for.  Yes, the new ones do have plier marks, these don't.  I should get off my duff and run one.  Never have that I can recall.

Ha on me!!! 7 spinner is smaller than the 11, a no fit!!!!!!!
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:29 am

Ken Cook wrote:The controls seem incorrect. They would  need to be the other way around, that's far too much down.

Yeah Ken, I had the whole apparatus upside down. Just didn't look right so I took the whole thing apart again.

Gilbert SkyFlash - Maybe not trash after all Dscn1734
Gilbert SkyFlash - Maybe not trash after all Dscn1735

Works fine now.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  cstatman Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:35 am

love love love seeing your resto jobs. the care and craftsmanship is brilliant.
cstatman
cstatman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:48 pm

cstatman wrote:love love love seeing your resto jobs.   the care and craftsmanship is brilliant.

Thanks Charles, but perhaps brilliantly stupid. If you need a part installed upside down and backwards, I'm your guy.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down