Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Another Gilbert "SkyFlash"  Cox_ba12

Another Gilbert "SkyFlash"  Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 1:04 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:44 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

» [solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine
by batjac Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:33 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Another Gilbert "SkyFlash"  Empty
Live on Patrol

Another Gilbert "SkyFlash"

Go down

Another Gilbert "SkyFlash"  Empty Another Gilbert "SkyFlash"

Post  rsv1cox Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:39 pm

Like potato chips, you can't stop at just one, or two, or three.  Replaces the one I sent to Kim.

Missing the engine exhausts, spinner, and windshields.  Got the exhausts, spinner replacement but no windshields.  Got to find a way to make those.  Snoopy style maybe.

Another Gilbert "SkyFlash"  P1013983  

Another Gilbert "SkyFlash"  Gilber24
Another Gilbert "SkyFlash"  75_dol10

This one might actually see air time.  Not much to lose here.  But my pleasure is reworking these.  Well made and designed it's a complicated but rewarding experience.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Another Gilbert "SkyFlash"  Empty Re: Another Gilbert "SkyFlash"

Post  rsv1cox Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:35 pm

Arrived today UPS, delayed a day for a reason known only to UPS.

These Gilberts excite me more than most. Like a box of chocolates, you never know what your going to get. Gumpism.

As pictured in the sellers ad, but.............no compression, nothing, nada! Twin stack I brought it out in the sunshine and looked through the stacks while propping it and noticed a blob going up and down. Wow, a connecting rod with no piston attached. A first for me.

Another Gilbert "SkyFlash"  P1013995
Another Gilbert "SkyFlash"  P1013994
Another Gilbert "SkyFlash"  P1013996
Another Gilbert "SkyFlash"  P1013997
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

rsv1cox wrote:
rsv1cox on Aug 29, 2022 wrote:This one might actually see air time.  Not much to lose here.
Arrived today UPS, delayed a day for a reason known only to UPS. [...] I brought it out in the sunshine and looked through the stacks while propping it and noticed a blob going up and down.  Wow, a connecting rod with no piston attached.  A first for me.
Wow, you indeed did get a box of chocolates this time, Bob. tongue A parts engine. Sad
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:19 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:
rsv1cox wrote:
rsv1cox on Aug 29, 2022 wrote:This one might actually see air time.  Not much to lose here.
Arrived today UPS, delayed a day for a reason known only to UPS. [...] I brought it out in the sunshine and looked through the stacks while propping it and noticed a blob going up and down.  Wow, a connecting rod with no piston attached.  A first for me.
Wow, you indeed did get a box of chocolates this time, Bob. tongue A parts engine. Sad

Probably George, I don't have a spare pistion. But I do have a spare direct replacement that will have to do.

Another Gilbert "SkyFlash"  P1014001
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:12 pm

I finally took it apart today.

Another Gilbert "SkyFlash"  P1014278
Another Gilbert "SkyFlash"  P1014279
Another Gilbert "SkyFlash"  P1014277

Another Gilbert "SkyFlash"  P1014280
Another Gilbert "SkyFlash"  P1014281
Another Gilbert "SkyFlash"  P1014282

Super SPI Smile

Helped me get the head off.......
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:20 pm

"No windshields.  Got to find a way to make those."

Clear water bottle, blocks of wood and twenty minutes with your power tools, and a hair drier...you get your mojo on and pop out two in a few minutes.

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:29 am

944_Jim wrote:
 "No windshields.  Got to find a way to make those."

Clear water bottle, blocks of wood and twenty minutes with your power tools, and a hair drier...you get your mojo on and pop out two in a few minutes.

Twenty minutes?  Smile Smile  I have two left hands and a 85 YO brain.

No,,,, I have tried it.  I can't pull plastic over a buck and operate a hair drier at the same time.  I have watched the video of the fellow doing it and the plastic that he used just conforms to the mold with no effort.  One day I will get my son to help.

Won an auction for this Gilbert last night.  Got up at 1 am to see it end.  

Another Gilbert "SkyFlash"  Gilber27
Another Gilbert "SkyFlash"  Gilber29
Another Gilbert "SkyFlash"  Gilber30
Another Gilbert "SkyFlash"  Gilber28

Completes the three plane set that they offered - Sky Hawk. Sky Flash, and Sky Streak.

Cheap for a NIB powered model airplane.  17 watchers.  Combined bomb drop and leadout mechanism.  Comes from out in Kim's country.  

Blows my - No more plastic airplanes resolution sky high........But, these are different, somewhat strange, rare, and a side line to their model railroad/erector set enterprizes.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:44 am

One more to go Bob.  Oh no, what have I done???

Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:39 am

I did not see Rod's post, I did not see Rod's post, I did not see Rod's post, I did not see Rods' post......................

The pursuit is half the fun.  The search continues. Smile

I did not know of the Beechcraft Musketter (new for 1963).  I did find the 1963 catalog though.  ebay $14.99 to $49.99.  I chose the $14.99 one.

Another Gilbert "SkyFlash"  Gilber31

One must have appeared on ebay in the past as it shows in it's history.  I'll put my son on it.  Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:06 am

rsv1cox wrote:Won an auction for this Gilbert last night.  Got up at 1 am to see it end.  
Another Gilbert "SkyFlash"  Gilber27
Another Gilbert "SkyFlash"  Gilber30

Completes the three plane set that they offered - Sky Hawk. Sky Flash, and Sky Streak.

Cheap for a NIB powered model airplane.  17 watchers.  Combined bomb drop and leadout mechanism.  Comes from out in Kim's country.  

Blows my - No more plastic airplanes resolution sky high........But, these are different, somewhat strange, rare, and a side line to their model railroad/erector set enterprises.
In a way, I can understand why the Gilberts didn't appeal to the masses. This plane, although nice, lacks scale features. Back then kids were still familiar with WW2 movies and TV series. This particular Gilbert appears to be cartoonish without see-through canopy, front end of a Goodyear pylon racer, back end of a jet. It lacks genuine realism.

Of course Bob, you bring back to us a bit of ancient history that even I was unaware of. Only 2 years later, Birthday 1965 (or Christmas 1964), I received a Cox .049 Silver Bee powered Supermarine Spitfire, perhaps the finest RTF C/L plane produced by Cox. Compared with the cheaper look of the Gilbert, it was realism at its best.

The Cox scale models had a refined look about them, lacking in the Gilberts. Although they were less sturdy and could not survive crashes as well, it had eye candy appeal to persons like me.

Congrats on your buy, you amaze me with the obscure history you bring back to us. Thumbs Up

Oldenginerod wrote:One more to go Bob.  Oh no, what have I done???

Rod, that is a new one that I was unaware of, seems to be a really nice scale model. Probably why sales never took off, is kids were into scale war planes back then; it also lacks see-through cabin windows that the Coxes had. My simple Cox L-4 Grasshopper with clear windows, scale color and markings had more appeal. No kid like painted aircraft windows, IMO. Huh...
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:25 pm

rsv1cox wrote:I finally took it apart today.

Another Gilbert "SkyFlash"  P1014278
Another Gilbert "SkyFlash"  P1014279
Another Gilbert "SkyFlash"  P1014277

Another Gilbert "SkyFlash"  P1014280
Another Gilbert "SkyFlash"  P1014281
Another Gilbert "SkyFlash"  P1014282

Super SPI Smile

Helped me get the head off.......

Continuation of a sad tale.

My replacement engine did not have the starter, thought I could live with it, but the starter fills the void in the front of the fuselage so I went looking for a parts engine from which I could rob a piston.  

Found one, but it wasn't giving up that piston easily.  I just could not remove the back plate, heat and the Cox mild steel tool just bent.  I need tempered steel.  Thought of a cheap (Harbor Freight) set of spade bits that wobbled so bad that I refused to use them.  Selected a one inch size ground off the point and made a handle for it:

Another Gilbert "SkyFlash"  P1014291

Chucked it up in a vice, snug not tight  lots of heat and forcing against the tool tried to remove the backplate.  Pushed the case right off the vice.  Tightened, and got some movement, pushed the case right off the vice again.  Tighter, but this time it would not budge at all.  Too tight compressing the case out of round.  Removed it and screwed it down to a board and tried again.  Rocked it CW/CCW, heat, Remoil.  Got it.  Tool plus adjustable wrench on the blade to gain mechanical advantage.  

Success.  Cylinder time.  Nothing to grab onto, ports are buried and I can't find my leather strap or hose cut-off.  Heat, rag buffer, pliers.  Hate that!  Got it off, but not easy.  Tool marks, jewelers files, wet/dry paper, Brownells.  

Another Gilbert "SkyFlash"  P1014292

Another Gilbert "SkyFlash"  P1014293
Another Gilbert "SkyFlash"  P1014294
Another Gilbert "SkyFlash"  P1014295
Another Gilbert "SkyFlash"  P1014296
Another Gilbert "SkyFlash"  P1014297
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pman1111 Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:36 pm

Won an auction for this Gilbert last night.  Got up at 1 am to see it end.  

Nice score sir, must have been too early for the snipers Smile
Sorry, "quote" function didn't work like I expected Huh...
pman1111
pman1111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:36 pm

pman1111 wrote:
Sorry, "quote" function didn't work like I expected Huh...

Quote is easy.  Click the "quote" button top right and the quoted wording is inserted in brackets.  You can edit how much if the quote you use by changing what's inside the brackets.

You can add your own comments either before the first bracket or after the last bracket. Hit "Preview" to see how it looks before you click "Send".
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:14 pm

Not a bad thing not getting the quote function. Saves repeating all those photos. When I use the quote I delete all the photos. No sense in reinventing the wheel.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:14 am

I will sometimes hit the QUOTE function, and copy a photo BB Code link from the quoted text, hit the back button to return to the thread, (or if in another thread use a separate browser tab), then reply or reply with quote and paste it again, to make a point. This way, it saves CEF storage space by reusing the same photo.

Also, if a photo has too much detail, I sometimes copy it to my hard disk, then use a photo editor (in my case, free GIMP) to crop out all the unimportant detail and resize if needed, then upload and post. This helps the reader to more clearly see the essential facts of the item in the photo.

When I use the QUOTE function, I usually edit out all text and photos not necessary to my reply. This saves the reader from seeing all the unnecessary clutter (i.e., getting down to the "brass tacks") Very Happy when reading my post.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:06 pm

Nice job on the engine Bob… If I ever get one hopelessly locked I’m sending it to you!!!

I have that same little meter in one of your photos…. Harbor Freight special… Works great…Also an old Radio Shack analog meter… I still like them for some things…Another Gilbert "SkyFlash"  72efac10
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:59 pm

I cleaned the engine up that came with it (no piston) and put it back together.  On right.

Another Gilbert "SkyFlash"  P1014298

But I swapped the cylinder and piston back into the orignal case that came with the starter.  I wanted to keep piston/cylinder together.  "Bad" engine is usable if I could find a piston, but I had to drill out the tapped 3/48" mounting holes to accommodate the hold down screws to get the back plate off.  Confusing......

The body was pretty good but the cowl was split requiring some surgery.  Red tube Testors is wonderful stuff even when under stress.

Before:

Another Gilbert "SkyFlash"  Broken16

After:

Another Gilbert "SkyFlash"  P1014300
Another Gilbert "SkyFlash"  P1014301
Another Gilbert "SkyFlash"  P1014299

I enjoy working on these Gilberts.  A little clunky, but built to fly (the airfoil wing is everything.)  George may be right, not scale so not so much eye appeal.  But innovative and strongly built.  My favorite plastic airplane.

Another Gilbert "SkyFlash"  P1014302
Another Gilbert "SkyFlash"  P1014303

Yes, those Harbor Freight freebies.  I think I have three, my son several more.  Free with purchase.

Another Gilbert "SkyFlash"  P1014304

Sperry is my walk-around, Centech when I'm serious.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:43 am

rdw777 wrote:I have that same little meter in one of your photos…. Harbor Freight special… Works great…Also an old Radio Shack analog meter… I still like them for some things…Another Gilbert "SkyFlash"  72efac10
Robert, for many years, I had that very same Radio Shack (RS) meter. Then not long ago, something happened to it may be 15 years ago, it disappeared. Sad When I bought it, they had it on sale, I was glad to get it because it was a decent meter. Smile

I found a down side to Harbor Freight (HF) cheap meters AND electronics. Huh... They do not have any fuse or other internal protection. tongue I used the wrong voltage scale on their digital meter, I fried something inside. It no longer would record the correct voltages, Shocked and you had no way of knowing, Paranoid I verified it with another meter. Doh! At least with the Radio Shack analog meter, it came with a schematic, so I could replace a burnt out resistor in its circuit. I could tell I burnt something with the RS, it had the burnt electronics stench. Embarassed

Their cheap trickle charger doesn't have any fuse or internal circuit protection. I accidentally connected it up backwards, blew something in its internal circuit without smoke or smell, stopped topping off batteries, but did not let me know it no longer works, a waste of money. Mad

More expensive meters and chargers come with protection, either with fuse, circuit breaker, or internal by design. Smoking

Overall, I have found that if I spend a little more money, then HF tools are decent. I bought their heat gun very cheap, for less than $12 may be 4 or 5 years ago. Now, the satin finish over the plastic has gone south, is sticky to the touch. They would have been better to have simply left it off in the plain black plastic. Had the same thing happen to a cheap utility knife that came in a nice nylon case with a pliers multitool at Lowes Home Improvement Center. It too has the same sticky feeling.

I bought HF's cheap $7 plastic 12V air compressor, kept it in my pickup. 3 years later, the rubber hose rotted completely making it totally useless. The poor sap (in this case, me  Paranoid ) who has one stored in his trunk will find it failing him, if he needs it. OTOH, I bought their more expensive metal Pittsburgh $30 one (now $40) 10 years ago. Recently I topped off the tires on the SUV where it is stored. It still runs like new.

10 years ago, I bought HF's cheap impact drill. It overheated easily, finally gave it away to a friend. Yet, I have their top of the line one, still works fine.

Yet, I bought inexpensive Craftsman single speed electric drill back in the 1970's. Still had it and gave it to a friend who needed one 20 years later. Still have their inexpensive single speed jig saw purchased same time, works like a champ 45 years later. Thumbs Up

I'm an occasional user, not a heavy user of power tools, but I expect them to be ready when I need them, so, I have learned my lesson.
Popcorn
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down