Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

"Flash Back Wednesday"  Trying to Take Photos/Video from Model Airplanes Cox_ba12

"Flash Back Wednesday"  Trying to Take Photos/Video from Model Airplanes Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by 1/2A Nut Today at 12:08 am

» Happy Anzac Day!
by Boats13 Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 10:20 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Yesterday at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Yesterday at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

"Flash Back Wednesday"  Trying to Take Photos/Video from Model Airplanes Empty
Live on Patrol

"Flash Back Wednesday" Trying to Take Photos/Video from Model Airplanes

Go down

"Flash Back Wednesday"  Trying to Take Photos/Video from Model Airplanes Empty "Flash Back Wednesday" Trying to Take Photos/Video from Model Airplanes

Post  Kim Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:28 am

Ramblings from my Face Book Page:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Model Airplane Photography "B.D.C."
.............(Before Digital Cameras)............

Visited with my flying bud Al yesterday, and we were talking about our different takes on flying model airplanes.  

One of mine, from the very beginning, has been imagining what I'd see as a pilot from the cockpits of my models.  Of course, there have been plenty of times when I was grateful that I was NOT onboard when some of them lost their fight with gravity.

This obsession lead to my actually smacking a favorite model back in the 1980's, trying to make it fly with a Super 8 movie camera strapped to its back (confirm your CG, dudes!).

In spite of this, I couldn't leave the idea alone so, in the 1990's, I settled on still photography, using the much lighter Wal Mart "disposable" cameras to fill my need for aerial surveillance.

I lived by the creed (and still do):  "It doesn't matter what the camera mounting system looks like if you can't see it in the photo."...and bought myself a couple rolls of strapping tape.

The camera was stuck to my recently rebuilt Mud Dabber (converted from a "nose-dragger" to a "tail-dragger") with a generous amount of the super-strong tape, and with an extra servo also taped to the camera.  

Positioned so its arm would depress the camera's shutter button on command, the servo was plugged into a spare channel on the plane's receiver.  You got one photo per flight:  "takeoff...snap photo...land...wind the camera to a new frame...repeat".

I quickly discovered that the engine's vibration could blur the photo, pretty much at any throttle settling, so I channeled my inner Bob Hoover, climbing Mud Dabber to altitude, killing the engine, and taking my photo at some point during the glide.

This hideous set-up actually yielded some fairly good photos (fantastic at the time) before the digital age brought the great, high-def stuff we've got now.  Still, I went through a lot of the "cardboard cameras" on several planes before finally going to the new, easy to use, digital cameras we take for granted now.

We are SO spoiled!!!

"Flash Back Wednesday"  Trying to Take Photos/Video from Model Airplanes Mud_da30

"Flash Back Wednesday"  Trying to Take Photos/Video from Model Airplanes Mud_da34
"Flash Back Wednesday"  Trying to Take Photos/Video from Model Airplanes Mud_da35

"Flash Back Wednesday"  Trying to Take Photos/Video from Model Airplanes Mud_da31
"Flash Back Wednesday"  Trying to Take Photos/Video from Model Airplanes Mud_da32

"Flash Back Wednesday"  Trying to Take Photos/Video from Model Airplanes B_o_t_14
"Flash Back Wednesday"  Trying to Take Photos/Video from Model Airplanes B_o_t_15
"Flash Back Wednesday"  Trying to Take Photos/Video from Model Airplanes B_o_t_13
"Flash Back Wednesday"  Trying to Take Photos/Video from Model Airplanes B_o_t_16
"Flash Back Wednesday"  Trying to Take Photos/Video from Model Airplanes B_o_t_17
"Flash Back Wednesday"  Trying to Take Photos/Video from Model Airplanes B_o_t_18
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

"Flash Back Wednesday"  Trying to Take Photos/Video from Model Airplanes Empty Onboard video in 1990

Post  706jim Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:45 am

When our only child was about to be born, I purchased a "small" (at that time) Sony video camcorder to record events. That summer I bravely installed it inside the cabin of my 1/4 scale Sig Cub. I had fitted an OS Pegasus 240 to this plane and figured a video would be pretty cool. So I installed the camera, turned it on and attached the wing and struts to get the aircraft mobile, then fired up the engine and flew it approximately 5 miles around a group of islands (where I own a summer camp) from a friend's boat. I figured that the video was impressive at the time. The first time went off without a hitch (pretty cool seeing yourself steering your plane from a boat). The second time there was some sort of interference between the camera and the receiver and I hastily landed the plane and shelved this idea for the time being. Video from up high was interesting. Video close to the water was not, kind of the opposite of videos taken from the ground where when the airplane is up high video is boring.

Videos from drones far exceed the quality I was able to achieve with and 8mm camcorder, but the difference was in the sound. The Pegasus had so much power that it cruised at an rpm not far from what a real Cub would turn.

So you were not alone in your quest for pictures!
706jim
706jim
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

"Flash Back Wednesday"  Trying to Take Photos/Video from Model Airplanes Empty Re: "Flash Back Wednesday" Trying to Take Photos/Video from Model Airplanes

Post  rsv1cox Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:06 pm

Kodachrome
You give us those nice bright colors
You give us the greens of summers
Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah!
I got a Nikon camera
I love to take a photograph
So Mama, don't take my Kodachrome away

Love the Collie. One just like it made friends with me at the auto parts store this morning.

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

"Flash Back Wednesday"  Trying to Take Photos/Video from Model Airplanes Empty Re: "Flash Back Wednesday" Trying to Take Photos/Video from Model Airplanes

Post  balogh Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:48 pm

I attach these small Keychain cameras to my COX powered RC planes, and the quality of my flight videos is, well not the best, but at least good to demonstrate e.g. why I would not be a passenger on a plane where I am the captain. The smallest RC plane I shot on board video with is a 010 TeeDee powered Sharkface.

"Flash Back Wednesday"  Trying to Take Photos/Video from Model Airplanes 16492610

Some of my videos are on YouTube.

A 8+minute video is not fully entertaining, but the audio recording allows me to audio tach the engine on board. I just play the video on my Android phone and run the RPM Gauge app in parallel.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:10 am

Yeah we have came a long way since the 80s . but you know then you would do what it takes to get done what you want or dreams come true . I know I enjoy your photos' and videos adventures in to the a bliss .. I got a chuckle out of the mounting of a motion picture camera on your bird Laughing Still some pretty good pics from the old box cameras ! This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:34 am

getback wrote:Yeah we have came a long way since the 80s . but you know then you would do what it takes to get done what you want or dreams come true . I know I enjoy your photos' and videos adventures in to the a bliss .. I got a chuckle out of the mounting of a motion picture camera on your bird Laughing Still some pretty good pics from the old box cameras ! This Site Rocks!

Thanks Man!

The REALLY irritating part about the movie-camera crash is that the initial impact knocked out the camera, so I didn't even get footage of the wreck!!!! Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:38 am

Well that sucked , i was thinking of asking about that footage , but i figured if you had it you would have shown it
sunny RC Plane sunny
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down