Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Piston reset. - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Piston reset. - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 7:47 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by 706jim Today at 7:44 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 5:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 4:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 8:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 7:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 1:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 11:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 9:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 6:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 4:39 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Piston reset. - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Piston reset.

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Piston reset. - Page 2 Empty Re: Piston reset.

Post  RknRusty Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:01 am

I'll definitely video/photo document my next attempt, and take another close look at my reset tool. It has a relief for the center nib on the piston. I worried it wasn't deep enough, so last time, I sanded the nib down to make sure.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  fit90 Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:29 am

Rusty,

Does the cup part of your reset tool have a raised cylindrical part that rests under the actual ball socket of the piston? If not, this will often times cause the piston to deform. I will post a pic a little later today to clarify what I mean.

Bob
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:33 am

Here is an image of my used .049 anvil from DDD. There is only a load/contact in the very center, i.e. right below the conrod connection.

(the tiny depression in the very center is from a machining point of view, as it is very hard to make completely flat center on a lathe)

Piston reset. - Page 2 Anvil_10
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:48 am

On another note, does one really need to reset the pistons frequently?

I never did it when I was a kid and at modest/regular revs I cannot imagine the piston and conrod being pulled apart. Surely as long as the engine is running and firing on every stroke, there is always a positive load on the conrod?

Setting the ball joint really tight could in principle hinder the oil from getting into the joint. Regular conrods on large engines are the same, you don't want them to be too tight, as you then risk getting problems with binding.
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:46 pm

There is actually a tolerance of .002 or something like that of play in the rod to socket fit. I suppose if you really tightened it up hard you would have some issues. Read the Gibeault race program notes or head over to the .049 Yahoo collectors group as there is some really good reading on how to set the play.

Mostly a sloppy fit will effect compression/overall performance.

If you already knew that, sorry for the repeat info.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:05 pm

On sport props I haven't see any difference in performance, that's why I raised the issue.
I also cannot logically understand how it would affect the compression ratio, with the conrod under constant compression...
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:19 pm

Slop means the piston travels higher up the bore hence more compression as the piston's upward travel is arrested later.
Very Happy
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:59 pm

That sure would take some high revs to have the piston pull on the conrod at TDC and increase the compression, 22000rpm or more?

My point is that unless you are in Venom rpm territory, I can't see how the slop would have any influence on the performance.
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fit90 Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:27 pm

I've found that it affects how easily the engine starts most of all. I can also see how too much slop could cause the joint to eventually fail. I would expect this to happen sooner as the engine is revved higher. How ever, this may take longer in terms of minutes of run time but it would be interesting to see how many revolutions it takes to fail and if the higher the RPM the lower the revolutions (tach vs hobbs time in full size).
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:18 pm

When I got home earlier the Missus said "Why are you so late and where's the car?"
I said "Piston broke."
Said said "I know you are but what happened"

John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GermanBeez Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:20 pm

haha, nice!
GermanBeez
GermanBeez
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:48 pm

Thanks for the replies regarding my mention of my resetting troubles. I already closed up the shop tonight, but I'll get my tool out tomorrow, get a picture and we'll take a look. Resetting is new to me in the past two of my 45 years of flying. I can't recall any problems in the past, that I look back and think must've been caused by a loose piston.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:59 pm

RknRusty wrote:Thanks for the replies regarding my mention of my resetting troubles. I already closed up the shop tonight, but I'll get my tool out tomorrow, get a picture and we'll take a look. Resetting is new to me in the past two of my 45 years of flying. I can't recall any problems in the past, that I look back and think must've been caused by a loose piston.

Yeah, I hear ya! play in the ball socket never even crossed my mind until I joined this forum. After reading posts here and literature I started looking at my engines and noticed this "play" so being the OCD guy that I am with IC engines I bought a tool.

I haven't noticed a difference yet although it's hard to hear what a few hundred rpm's sounds like! So I guess I see a tach in my future.

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:34 am

Me too, I never thought of a tach until I started hanging around this bunch. Funny, my planes always flew great before too. I must have one. Soon!

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Al Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:18 am

John Goddard wrote:Slop means the piston travels higher up the bore hence more compression as the piston's upward travel is arrested later.
Very Happy
John, a year or so ago a fellow on another forum published the results of a series of tests that he had run. His results would indicate just the opposite, i.e. the increase in wear would decrease compression.
He was investigating the effect of various lube mixtures (synthetic/castor) on the rod/piston ball joint wear. His data showed that the increase in ‘slop’ was due entirely to wear on the top side and NOT on the cupped (lower) side. In his worse case the rod actually wore itself all the way thru the piston and broke out thru the top. But there was NO measurable wear on the bottom side. This would suggest that (at least under his test conditions) the piston always has a downward force against the rod and there is probably never any contact between the rod and the cupped (lower) side. Thus the wear would actually lower the piston and decrease compression. It would also imply that the ‘slop’ (up to a point) probably has little or no effect on performance. His tests were conducted under simulated ‘sport’ conditions and as I recall he acknowledged that the results may not apply for high nitro/high RPM conditions.
Al
Big Al
Big Al
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:27 am

Big Al wrote:
John Goddard wrote:Slop means the piston travels higher up the bore hence more compression as the piston's upward travel is arrested later.
Very Happy
John, a year or so ago a fellow on another forum published the results of a series of tests that he had run. His results would indicate just the opposite, i.e. the increase in wear would decrease compression.
He was investigating the effect of various lube mixtures (synthetic/castor) on the rod/piston ball joint wear. His data showed that the increase in ‘slop’ was due entirely to wear on the top side and NOT on the cupped (lower) side. In his worse case the rod actually wore itself all the way thru the piston and broke out thru the top. But there was NO measurable wear on the bottom side. This would suggest that (at least under his test conditions) the piston always has a downward force against the rod and there is probably never any contact between the rod and the cupped (lower) side. Thus the wear would actually lower the piston and decrease compression. It would also imply that the ‘slop’ (up to a point) probably has little or no effect on performance. His tests were conducted under simulated ‘sport’ conditions and as I recall he acknowledged that the results may not apply for high nitro/high RPM conditions.
Al

Now that you mention it when some of my big offenders had a flat spot on the top of the rod that I could physically feel after the reset. I read in the performace doc over in 049 CG that you should take rubbing compound and pack it into the socket to smooth out the top of the ball and then flush it out. I was wary of that just in case I couldn't get it all out.

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:45 am

cribbs74 wrote:
Now that you mention it when some of my big offenders had a flat spot on the top of the rod that I could physically feel after the reset. I read in the performace doc over in 049 CG that you should take rubbing compound and pack it into the socket to smooth out the top of the ball and then flush it out. I was wary of that just in case I couldn't get it all out.

The piston is softer than the rod, so I bet what you did was take more metal off the under-face of the piston. Maybe better left alone???

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2