Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Garbage in, garbage out........Cox Prop Rod arrives and displays its graceful curves Cox_ba12

Garbage in, garbage out........Cox Prop Rod arrives and displays its graceful curves Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by balogh Today at 12:07 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 9:32 pm

» Elfin 0.5cc (Arnie Hende replica)
by dan vincent Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by layback209 Yesterday at 9:10 pm

» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by Boats13 Yesterday at 8:18 pm

» Fuel residue stain clening help
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Yesterday at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Yesterday at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Yesterday at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 7:56 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:14 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Garbage in, garbage out........Cox Prop Rod arrives and displays its graceful curves Empty
Live on Patrol

Garbage in, garbage out........Cox Prop Rod arrives and displays its graceful curves

Go down

Garbage in, garbage out........Cox Prop Rod arrives and displays its graceful curves Empty Garbage in, garbage out........Cox Prop Rod arrives and displays its graceful curves

Post  rsv1cox Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:30 pm

Maybe garbage in something out........we shall see.

Garbage in, garbage out........Cox Prop Rod arrives and displays its graceful curves Dscn1910
Garbage in, garbage out........Cox Prop Rod arrives and displays its graceful curves Dscn1911
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Garbage in, garbage out........Cox Prop Rod arrives and displays its graceful curves Empty Re: Garbage in, garbage out........Cox Prop Rod arrives and displays its graceful curves

Post  bottomgun Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:59 pm

There's always a way.
bottomgun
bottomgun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Garbage in, garbage out........Cox Prop Rod arrives and displays its graceful curves Empty Re: Garbage in, garbage out........Cox Prop Rod arrives and displays its graceful curves

Post  Kim Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:38 pm

No lacking of character there however.... Very Happy
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:42 pm

Looks like a couple of more great restorations to watch for......
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:07 pm

Took it apart, broken rear mounting posts. Poor repair.

The right rear wheel refused to come off. Castor locked. Tried Rene's soldering gun/iron applied to the axle at the bitter end to no joy even after three minutes. Resorted to the butane torch applied an inch aft of the brake drum. Still didn't come off. Resorted to more heat and - horrors pliers applied to the drum slow rotations and pulling finally did the job.

Fun ahead. I think I enjoy doing cars more than airplanes, less complicated.

Garbage in, garbage out........Cox Prop Rod arrives and displays its graceful curves P1013029
Garbage in, garbage out........Cox Prop Rod arrives and displays its graceful curves P1013030

Chuck gets the Easy-Off, aluminum polish, Berryman's, Simple Green, and canopy cement treatment, plus maybe a few others. Anyone have a hint on how to remove the engines pod?
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:35 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Anyone have a hint on how to remove the engines pod?  

Not having one, nor ever seeing one in person, are the pods not molded into the body as one unit?
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  bottomgun Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:53 pm

I know that the later prop rods and shrikes have locking tabs on the nacelles that snap down into place. Then a separate plastic "wedge", for the sake of a better word, is pressed into the middle gap of the tabs  from underneath to keep them pressed tight against the sides of the nacelle mount. When restoring my metal pan version, there is also a tab from underneath, but much thinner. I did not attempt to remove it because it wasn't really necessary and I didn't want to damage anything. I could be wrong, but I don't think the older version nacelles were ever glued into place. The older versions probably were more prone to coming loose after an accident, and may be the reason why the nacelle assemblies were redesigned when they went to the plastic chassis version.
bottomgun
bottomgun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  bottomgun Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:59 pm

I also wanted to say that on redvenom repro's website, he states that when you order a new nacelle, you have to specify whether it's a metal pan car or a plastic one, because of the different design features.
bottomgun
bottomgun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:54 am

To me, the pod looks like a cylinder with a slot cut in the bottom that fits over a long tab molded into the main body then cemented. I don't think that Cox wanted these flying off the body under engine power so secure was the word. The "Tab A slot B" approach alone would not work. If anyone has removed the pod without damaging the body, I would like to know how they did it.

Garbage in, garbage out........Cox Prop Rod arrives and displays its graceful curves P1013032
Garbage in, garbage out........Cox Prop Rod arrives and displays its graceful curves P1013031
Garbage in, garbage out........Cox Prop Rod arrives and displays its graceful curves P1013033

Garbage in, garbage out........Cox Prop Rod arrives and displays its graceful curves P1013035

I could make those engine mounting tabs out of items I keep around for such purposes and glue them onto the body, but I wouldn't trust them to hold under engine power.

Garbage in, garbage out........Cox Prop Rod arrives and displays its graceful curves P1013034

Chuck does have a very nice steering wheel though. Smile

Garbage in, garbage out........Cox Prop Rod arrives and displays its graceful curves P1013036
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:44 am

Cool one Chuck is its name Or that of the previous owner ? Very Happy Can't wait to see the final result and the progress on this one Thumbs Up
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:52 am

davidll1984 wrote:Cool one Chuck is its name Or that of the previous owner ? Very Happy  Can't wait to see the final result and the progress on this one Thumbs Up

Chuck I'm guessing was the previous owner.

Just knocked the dust off. Not a pretty sight.

Garbage in, garbage out........Cox Prop Rod arrives and displays its graceful curves P1013037
Garbage in, garbage out........Cox Prop Rod arrives and displays its graceful curves P1013038
Garbage in, garbage out........Cox Prop Rod arrives and displays its graceful curves P1013039
Garbage in, garbage out........Cox Prop Rod arrives and displays its graceful curves P1013041
Garbage in, garbage out........Cox Prop Rod arrives and displays its graceful curves P1013040
Garbage in, garbage out........Cox Prop Rod arrives and displays its graceful curves P1013042
Garbage in, garbage out........Cox Prop Rod arrives and displays its graceful curves P1013043
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:28 pm

If you can't beat them, join them.  No way I'm going to salvage that engine pod.  Exploring options.  Luan mount secured from the inside with four screws through the pod.  Removable.  Round mount or one cut to shape.  Preferred.  

Shave the existing ears, body filler. Paint, no other way.  Deep scars on the body.  Got lots of plastic friendly aerosols in different colors.  Camo, the stealth Prop Rod, Corsair blue, Navy gray, or back to red.  

Got the smooth pan today.  Much better chance of maintaining originality.

Garbage in, garbage out........Cox Prop Rod arrives and displays its graceful curves P1013044
Garbage in, garbage out........Cox Prop Rod arrives and displays its graceful curves P1013046
Garbage in, garbage out........Cox Prop Rod arrives and displays its graceful curves P1013045
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:33 pm

Botched engine pod certainly left you with option opportunities there, Bob. Rolling Eyes sunny

Pod is almost begging for an internal tank with plumbing to a non-tanked engine like a horseshoe backed one with tighter mount pattern and thicker firewall just fitting the inside diameter of the pod.

1st thoughts was that weird Enya powered natural finish wood block prop rod you posted a couple years ago. May be time to put that HB .15 engine to use? drunken
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:39 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:Botched engine pod certainly left you with option opportunities there, Bob. Rolling Eyes sunny

Pod is almost begging for an internal tank with plumbing to a non-tanked engine like a horseshoe backed one with tighter mount pattern and thicker firewall just fitting the inside diameter of the pod.

1st thoughts was that weird Enya powered natural finish wood block prop rod you posted a couple years ago. May be time to put that HB .15 engine to use? drunken

Your're challenging my ingenuity George, and it's not that good. But that is a great idea. Some sort of a plastic vial with vent/fuel tubes extending up out of the pod. But I'm sticking with the original thin wall BB.

Weaking on paint. Paint hides detail and the best is not fuel friendly. Worked the body down last night with 500/800 W/D with water after leveling the scars with an equalizing jewelers file. Got out the headlight lens polishing kit with 1000/3000 grit pads and plastic polish. Body curves make it difficult but we shall see.

Garbage in, garbage out........Cox Prop Rod arrives and displays its graceful curves P1013047
Garbage in, garbage out........Cox Prop Rod arrives and displays its graceful curves P1013048
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:27 am

Just thinking out loud with you for a possible repair on the blue pod…

File off what is damaged on the screw boss… Get or make a dowel or plug similar to missing shape…Glob modeling clay around the boss and plug (to form a female mould)…The plug needs some slickum for easy removal…. Remove the plug and fill with epoxy or JB…. Cure, remove clay, clean, shape up exterior, re-drill for screws..,

Tedious but could possibly work to preserve what you have
rdw777
rdw777
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:07 am

rdw777 wrote:Just thinking out loud with you for a possible repair on the blue pod…

File off what is damaged on the screw boss… Get or make a dowel or plug similar to missing shape…Glob modeling clay around the boss and plug (to form a female mould)…The plug needs some slickum for easy removal…. Remove the plug and fill with epoxy or JB…. Cure, remove clay, clean, shape up exterior, re-drill for screws..,

Tedious but could possibly work to preserve what you have

Thanks, Gunsmiths use a release agent available at Brownells, think I have some laying around, used for bedding stocks.  And I do have modeling clay.  Good idea.  I just recently used JB Weld to repair a plastic fuselage pylon.  Stick a tooth pick down the half-broken hole, apply the JB wrap with masking tape and let it cure twisting the tooth pick occasionally.  Self-tapping screws do the rest.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:31 am

I see a lot of imperfection knowing you I'm sure you'll make it 100 times better than before Very Happy Thumbs Up It's just gonna take longer see the good side is that it keeps you busy modeling is fun
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:20 pm

Spent most of the morning working on the engine, did just enough to earn a passable grade. That garbage in garbage out thing.

Garbage in, garbage out........Cox Prop Rod arrives and displays its graceful curves P1013058

Garbage in, garbage out........Cox Prop Rod arrives and displays its graceful curves P1013052
Garbage in, garbage out........Cox Prop Rod arrives and displays its graceful curves P1013054
Garbage in, garbage out........Cox Prop Rod arrives and displays its graceful curves P1013053
Garbage in, garbage out........Cox Prop Rod arrives and displays its graceful curves P1013056
Garbage in, garbage out........Cox Prop Rod arrives and displays its graceful curves P1013055
Garbage in, garbage out........Cox Prop Rod arrives and displays its graceful curves P1013057

Corroded as bad as I have seen. Even the connecting rod. I did not remove the crankshaft, prop stud securely imbedded in the crankshaft and I did not want to use vice grips to remove it. Better to leave it in and let Simple Green do it's job. Nice movement and compression pop on this old thin-wall.

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  bottomgun Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:41 pm

Looks good. Are you going to do a test run on it?
bottomgun
bottomgun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:18 pm

bottomgun wrote:Looks good. Are you going to do a test run on it?

Probably, once I get the engine configured the the prop selected.  Cox recommended a 6/3 for these.  Got the mount pretty much figured out.

Garbage in, garbage out........Cox Prop Rod arrives and displays its graceful curves P1013060
Garbage in, garbage out........Cox Prop Rod arrives and displays its graceful curves P1013061

Went back and sanded the body some more.  Finally got through the white substance on the nose and eliminated most of the deep scars, including the canopy.

Garbage in, garbage out........Cox Prop Rod arrives and displays its graceful curves P1013062
Garbage in, garbage out........Cox Prop Rod arrives and displays its graceful curves P1013063

Tight fit, thinking about just canopy cement to hold it in.  It would save me putting screws in from the outside.  Thinking about it.

Garbage in, garbage out........Cox Prop Rod arrives and displays its graceful curves P1013064

Ah, I'm just going to cement it in, if it comes loose (it won't, that canopy cement is pretty tough stuff) I could add screws later.

Garbage in, garbage out........Cox Prop Rod arrives and displays its graceful curves P1013065
Garbage in, garbage out........Cox Prop Rod arrives and displays its graceful curves P1013066

Some difference from this:

Garbage in, garbage out........Cox Prop Rod arrives and displays its graceful curves Prop_r16
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  bottomgun Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:55 pm

On my plastic pan model, I had so many scratches that after doing a lot of sanding, I had difficulty polishing it out so I did some fine grit wet sanding and gave it an airbrush coating of two part gloss clear epoxy. Yours came out pretty decent. What did you use to polish it out?
bottomgun
bottomgun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:37 am

bottomgun wrote:On my plastic pan model, I had so many scratches that after doing a lot of sanding, I had difficulty polishing it out so I did some fine grit wet sanding and gave it an airbrush coating of two part gloss clear epoxy. Yours came out pretty  decent. What did you use to polish it out?

I sprayed it with Easy-Off oven cleaner to get the paint and Chucks magic marker off, rinsed it off and started with 800 grit W/D paper used wet, then the headlight polish kit pictured above, starting with 1000 grit, then 3000 grit applicator pads.  Then their polishing compound used with the 3000 grit pad, then just the polish with a micro-fiber towel.  Same for the canopy.  

One of the plastic posts used to attach the pan to the body is missing, one other broken.  I still have to address those.  Used canopy cement this morning to glue the made-up engine mount to the body.  24 hour cure.  

Years ago, I used two part Hobby-Poxy (I think that's the name) air brushed on  to do my scratch built P-38.  Still some fifty years later it still looks great.  

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:45 am

Speaking of Garbage In, Garbage Out, how many remember these photos? Very Happy

CEF: Ah yes! The long lost Cox Skate Prototype

OVERLORD on Sep 22, 2015 wrote:Here's a similar model, a bit more sophisticated though lol! lol!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cox-049-Glow-Engine-With-Customer-Made-Free-Ride-Car-/391263945802?hash=item5b1926044a

Garbage in, garbage out........Cox Prop Rod arrives and displays its graceful curves Cox_te10

and

The late happydad on Sep 23, 2015 wrote:Guys: I think this "Thing" has you all beat. There is a word for it, but I can't say it here because this is a family program. So have a laugh at someone else's expense.  As seen on our favorite ebay.

Garbage in, garbage out........Cox Prop Rod arrives and displays its graceful curves Coxpro10
That is one ugly whatever it is. Sorry.

happydad  Blow up Mad! Blow up Mad! Blow up Mad! Blow up Mad! Blow up Mad! Blow up Mad! Blow up Mad! Blow up Mad! Blow up Mad! Blow up Mad!

These are long lost classics to the rabbit hole of time! Damn! Popcorn lol!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Wiking44 Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:45 pm

I wish I had your skill and patience!
Wiking44
Wiking44
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down