Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable Cox_ba12

Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 4:34 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:44 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable Empty
Live on Patrol

Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable

Go down

Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable Empty Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable

Post  rsv1cox Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:30 am

With five of the eight corners of the engines saddle broken off I have no choice but to cement the postage stamp in. I knew when I got it with the engine floating around that there would be trouble. Something that I have never seen. Garbage in garbage out. Oh well. I'm not harvesting King Tut's tomb here.

Also, not only is the left wing root cracked (repaired now) I discovered that the right wing is cracked mid-way too. Found it while cleaning it up. Did the worst wing first.

Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable P1013405
Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable P1013404

Engine looks great from the outside, opened it up and no reed or clip. Got one from parts, cleaned the reed fine steel wool and 91%. Someone's been in there before me!

Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable P1013407
Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable P1013406
Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable P1013408

I don't care for the Cox starter, bit me more times than just finger flipping. Got rid of it. Put the piston back in and got a bind, turned the connecting rod around and it eliminated it. I don't explain it, I just relate. Low time engine, beautiful piston and #1 cylinder. Perfect pop.

Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable P1013409
Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable P1013410

Casual photo, and I haven't even started to reassemble it yet.

Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable P1013411

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable Empty Re: Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable

Post  cstatman Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:21 pm

"not harvesting King Tut's Tomb"

that, sir --- is valuable advice for all of us. worry less, put together more! Smile
cstatman
cstatman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable Empty Re: Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable

Post  rsv1cox Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:48 pm

cstatman wrote:"not harvesting King Tut's Tomb"

that, sir --- is valuable advice for all of us.   worry less, put together more!  Smile

Smile Smile

Yes, and knowing when your beat and accepting it!  

This thing is more broken up than the seller acknowledged, maybe he didn't know it.  The wing and fin/rudder tabs where the fuselage screws pass through are broken off and missing.  Not good. Unless I can figure out a fix, I may have to tack cement this Stuka back together.  It came (fell) apart real easy.  Smile

Cementing the other half of the wing.  Crack ran right along the landing gear pylon.  Broken tab is one half of the tail wheel bracket.

Test fitting.

Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable P1013412
Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable P1013413
Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable P1013414
Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable P1013415
Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable P1013416
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:40 pm

Both Cox designers and subsequent owners have worked their deviltry on this thing.

I look at it, walk away only to return later and tinker a bit. A losing cause but I persist. Missing/broken parts, staining that will not come out despite my best efforts. Howard wax coverup. Not kosher. Waiting for Godot.

Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable P1013428
Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable P1013429
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:17 pm

Don't know what GoDot is, but I've definitely been here before:

Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable Bangpl10

Hoping you're more patient than I!
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:39 pm

I have been close to caption #3 many times. Smile

Just finished with more tinkering. Actually got it back together except the canopys which just snap on. Managed to capture the bellcrank on the wings post, no easy job as those that have messed with these know only to well. Engine still floats, If I want it to be flyable I will have to cement it in. no other practical choice.

Don't let the appearance fool, it's a mess. Other one will be the keeper.

Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable P1013430
Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable P1013431
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:50 pm

Last piece of the puzzle.

Engine cemented in, one side only can still be taken apart. Bell crank connected. Flyable if this holds. Formula 560 canopy cement - "Glues anything to anything" we will see. Could have used epoxy but it doesn't stick well to plastic, CA the same. Testors red tube - forget it.

Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable P1013432
Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable P1013434
Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable P1013433

Anyone have a better idea?
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:49 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable P1013433

Anyone have a better idea?
Oh, once wood fibers are sealed, painted it will look like plastic. I suppose you could have also used sheet plastic from Hobby Lobby (if they still have). However, if it works, why change it?
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:19 am

I do have a sheet of styrene but balsa works better.  Tried it this morning and it works well against finger pressure.  I think it's going to be fine.  Still have to build the rotating mass that goes on the end and paint.  I may bush the pin.  

Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable P1013436
Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable P1013437

Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable P1013439
Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable P1013438
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:19 am

rsv1cox wrote:Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable P1013438
Good methodology in hinging the replacement balsa elevator, Thumbs Up back in the old days as a flyer, I went a step further and covered the end with a strip of crinoline (same stuff used as cloth hinges 50 years ago, it was coated cloth strip used in sewing to stiffen clothing edges like pants cuffs, shirt collars). Once sealed along with balsa, it left a slight impression where you saw the material, but that was then called features of "flying scale". Very Happy

Is the plastic factory painted, or is the white showing through the sanding just light reflection from camera flash? Huh...

rsv1cox wrote:Engine looks great from the outside, opened it up and no reed or clip.  Got one from parts, cleaned the reed fine steel wool and 91%.  Someone's been in there before me!
Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable P1013407
I don't care for the Cox starter, bit me more times than just finger flipping.  Got rid of it.  Put the piston back in and got a bind, turned the connecting rod around and it eliminated it.  I don't explain it, I just relate.  Low time engine, beautiful piston and #1 cylinder. Perfect pop.
It might be the way the engine "solidified" after being broke in. If it works by rotating the assembly, "if you don't mind, it don't matter", you're right, while question it? Wink

According to:
CEF: Cox .049 Cylinder Identification
CEF wrote: Number 1 : Used on early Black Widow and 290-291 series engines. 2 bypass, sub-piston induction, some cylinders had milled top fins and some older ones didn't.
You have a keeper, a prized engine. You could replace that with a Babe Bee styled (1 bypass) engine with postage stamp, and use that engine on another aircraft as a flyer, if this will only be for static display. Smile Jest saying ....  Laughing

But it does answer an earlier question I had, that the heavier than other Cox models, the earliest Cox green Stukas did have the more powerful dual port Black Widow styled cylinder. Cool
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:50 am

Yes, the hinge is epoxied in a slot cut in the balsa. Not going to move. Looked at bushing it. Can do but will have to drill out the plastic a bit. Cut out the end rotator, got to find out what it's for.

Yes, white seems to be dried fuel/castor that I haven't cleaned up yet. Still lot's of detailing still to do. When finished I will have a flyable glued together piece of crap. Smile Never had to do one this way before but this Stuka was just to busted up internally to cope with. Previous owner even cut holes in the fuselage for inspection/repair.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:21 am

rsv1cox wrote:Yes, the hinge is epoxied in a slot cut in the balsa.  Not going to move.  Looked at bushing it. Can do but will have to drill out the plastic a bit.  Cut out the end rotator, got to find out what it's for.  

Yes, white seems to be dried fuel/castor that I haven't cleaned up yet.  Still lot's of detailing still to do.  When finished I will have a flyable glued together piece of crap. Smile Never had to do one this way before but this Stuka was just to busted up internally to cope with.  Previous owner even cut holes in the fuselage for inspection/repair.  
You may not even need to bush it, if the plastic pin socket is in reasonably sound condition, although there is a touch of slop there with the improvised pin for hinge. Only reason for additional reinforcing with Crinoline was back in the days, to withstand engine vibration for a plane that would be flown often, like in the case of a balsa C/L. In your case, I doubt you'd accumulate sufficient hours to warrant it.

I wouldn't call it a piece of crap, it is a restoration to flyable condition. The previous owner, probably a teen, did what they knew with their limited knowledge of repairs, to make things work. One starts off as an apprentice, before they become a craftsman. I'm sure that model help to build for useful experiences and knowledge, to help that individual with greater things as an adult.

In reality I think we boomers were blessed to be in the world at the time we were growing up. Working on our own built a knowledge base, something today this world of so called professional educators and politicians have totally missed through their restrictive child rearing policies and new teaching methods. tongue

The Cox models and engines were a training ground for future engineers, designers, repair and construction technicians, assembly workers and etc. It helped to train them in use of tools and techniques, visualize from drawings, descriptions, use of fasteners, etc. Cool
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:24 am

I built the elevator counter weight yesterday and epoxied it on.  They actually sold these years ago as WW2 artifacts.

https://axis-militaria.com/product/ww-ii-german-hohenruder-gewichtausgleich-elevator-counter-weight-ju87-stuka/

Grooved it for the fixing pin.

Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable P1013443
Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable P1013444
Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable P1013445

and trimmed it to fit. My test mule, better Stuka will get a better fit as it's missing the same elevator half.

Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable P1013446
Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable P1013447

Some differences between green and black Stukas.  Green used phillips head screws, black used fillister heads.  Green used thin cylinders #1's, black used stepped #1's.  White boarder insignias vs yellow for the black Stukas. Green used fixed landing gear, black flexible.  Black took liberties with color while green did not.  

Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable P1013449
Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable P1013450
Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable P1013448

Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable P1013451
Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable P1013453
Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable P1013452
Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable P1013454
Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable P1013455

Testors red tube is holding it together. That or the trash can.
Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable P1013456
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:23 pm

Finished as far as I'm taking it.

Fritz will have to fly with the wind in his face unless I find a windshield.

Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable P1013458
Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable P1013459
Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable P1013457
Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable P1013460
Stuka woes, when the unthinkable becomes thinkable Image110
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down