Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Airplane Parks In Power Lines....... Cox_ba12

Airplane Parks In Power Lines....... Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Foam hand kids glider converted to 0.049 CL
by roddie Today at 4:33 am

» Cox PT-19 Wing
by latole Today at 4:28 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Today at 2:54 am

» Golden Bee basic running problem
by roddie Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» Simple Gliders
by rdw777 Yesterday at 6:25 pm

» Weird search for a single comic from an old Mad Magazine
by Kim Yesterday at 1:44 pm

» Scientific "Zipper" Build...Zipper Flys!.
by getback Yesterday at 7:27 am

» Cox .049 Tee Dee engines back in stock (limited availablility)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 1:05 am

» Very off-topic.........Time passes and not always for the best......
by rsv1cox Thu Jul 25, 2024 2:47 pm

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:30 pm

» Throttles for Cox Tee Dee .049 / .020 / .010 engines --- videos
by sosam117 Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:54 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Admin Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:00 am

Cox Engine of The Month
July-2024
robot797's

"ULTIMITE COX 010: it has a clutch, E starter, throttle, exhaust, aluminum tank, aluminum venturi, gearbox with forward and reverse, and now its on a custom drawn and printed stand"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Airplane Parks In Power Lines....... Empty
Live on Patrol

Airplane Parks In Power Lines.......

Go down

Airplane Parks In Power Lines....... Empty Airplane Parks In Power Lines.......

Post  NEW222 Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:59 pm

Just saw and read the following article. Lucky for them both to be alive I am sure.

Airplane Crash Into Power Lines
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Airplane Parks In Power Lines....... Empty Re: Airplane Parks In Power Lines.......

Post  Admin Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:13 am

I heard that break at the top of the hour on the radio shortly after it happened. That pilot is absolutely screwed unless he can prove he had a medical issue or there was a failure within the plane (which I would imagine there would need to be a record of him radioing in the emergency). It knocked out the power for quite a few people. Fortunately, fault protection at the substation(s) must've worked properly.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Airplane Parks In Power Lines....... Empty Re: Airplane Parks In Power Lines.......

Post  sosam117 Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:45 am

Admin wrote:I heard that break at the top of the hour on the radio shortly after it happened. That pilot is absolutely screwed unless he can prove he had a medical issue or there was a failure within the plane (which I would imagine there would need to be a record of him radioing in the emergency). It knocked out the power for quite a few people. Fortunately, fault protection at the substation(s) must've worked properly.

There is a reason for limiting low altitude flying to no less that 2,000 feet.
So, you don't hit high power lines, wind generators, and radio towers.

Though some of that stuff might be higher than 2,00 feet up.
If you take the Drone test (for a UAS) as I have, it is close to the same test as getting your pilot's license.
And I have taken and passed the privet pilot's license (years ago).
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:23 am

WaPo wrote:Goldstein said the pilot was using instruments onboard to navigate the approach to the airport when the plane became entangled in high-voltage lines while making contact with two power line towers. Experienced pilots have federal approval to fly with instruments at night and in difficult weather.

If it were visual flight reference (VFR), then, he would be fully responsible for the hit. However, if he was following his instruments, doesn't that mean that there was an air traffic controller guiding him in? And, in following those instructions, led him into that power tower?

There perhaps is more to the picture than simply placing full blame on the pilot himself.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:17 am

yea it also said there has been a lot of accidents in that same area , and some of he maps /indicators and so fourth aren't up to snuff ! But still amazing no one was killed ! Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:24 pm

I really like this guy's channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXVYa8kVDdI
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:18 pm

Today, NTSB Preliminary Report is available. When I clicked on a latest news article made available today,
Fox5: NTSB releases preliminary report into Gaithersburg small plane crash
Airplane Parks In Power Lines....... Bec81110
Fox 5 photo.

Another window opened automatically allowing me to download the NTSB PDF. It states,

NTSB Preliminary Report wrote:The pilot and passenger were seriously injured, and the airplane was substantially damaged. During a conversation with 911 call center personnel while the airplane remained suspended in the tower, the pilot reported, “I got down a little lower than I should have... I thought I was closer to the airport than I was...We could see the ground, but we couldn’t see in front.” After several hours, the airplane was secured to the tower, and the occupants safely egressed with the assistance of rescue and utility personnel.

Report states that his instruments were tested several months ago and found to be in acceptable accuracy limits. Their other checks on engine show evidence it was in mechanical sound condition with fuel systems properly functioning. So, in this case it appears that the pilot relied on his own insights instead of his gauges and navigational aids and Air Traffic Controller explicit instructions.

I gather that had he placed his full faith in the systems and training versus his gut level instincts, he would have had another uneventful landing, and another quiet meal at home, along with his passenger.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:28 pm

I heard news correspondence report that one or both of the two occupants on board, suffered from hypothermia before they could be brought to safety. Lucky they are; not to have fried.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

2024 Supporter

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:05 pm

roddie wrote:I heard news correspondence report that one or both of the two occupants on board, suffered from hypothermia before they could be brought to safety. Lucky they are; not to have fried.
With cabin integrity compromised by the crash along with their probably not fully clothed with jackets and long johns or access to blankets, and no cabin heat with engine off, they suffered similarly to someone in a car in very cold weather with windows cracked open. You are right, they are lucky not to have been electrocuted. Some of those high power lines can carry as much as 450,000 volts of electricity, equivalent to a lightning bolt.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down