Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

The third Cox Beaver chainsaw.......with a surprise Cox_ba12

The third Cox Beaver chainsaw.......with a surprise Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tired of it all…
by getback Today at 2:32 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by OVERLORD Today at 2:20 pm

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Today at 7:41 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:46 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

The third Cox Beaver chainsaw.......with a surprise Empty
Live on Patrol

The third Cox Beaver chainsaw.......with a surprise

Go down

The third Cox Beaver chainsaw.......with a surprise Empty The third Cox Beaver chainsaw.......with a surprise

Post  rsv1cox Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:32 pm

If I ever considered that this chainsaw wasn't a Cox product it was dispelled when I saw this:

The third Cox Beaver chainsaw.......with a surprise P1016193

The third Cox Beaver chainsaw.......with a surprise P1016191

Seems that Leroy stuck a Pee Wee's reed in the chain oil lubrication metering system along with the retainer.  This system is not shown in the instructions and parts list that I have, so I believe this is the later edition chainsaw.  

He already used reeds in the fuel intake.  

The third Cox Beaver chainsaw.......with a surprise P1016192

This edition uses a different metering system along with numbering the engine, using a cast alloy carburator body and some other minor features.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The third Cox Beaver chainsaw.......with a surprise Empty Re: The third Cox Beaver chainsaw.......with a surprise

Post  Admin Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:24 pm

Good alternate use for existing Cox parts. I wonder if this saw is an early version or a late version.

Aside from the obvious difference between the "Beaver" and "140" label, there appears to be quite a bit of variance with these saws. Plastic carbs, metal carbs, oil/gas tanks positioned on different sides, different patterns on the handles... all for something that was only made for a relatively short amount of time.

Cox Beaver Chainsaw

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

The third Cox Beaver chainsaw.......with a surprise Empty Re: The third Cox Beaver chainsaw.......with a surprise

Post  rsv1cox Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:20 pm

Admin wrote:Good alternate use for existing Cox parts. I wonder if this saw is an early version or a late version.

Aside from the obvious difference between the "Beaver" and "140" label, there appears to be quite a bit of variance with these saws. Plastic carbs, metal carbs, oil/gas tanks positioned on different sides, different patterns on the handles... all for something that was only made for a relatively short amount of time.

Cox Beaver Chainsaw

Thanks Jacob, but you're seeing something that I am not.  

All my chainsaws have the fuel tank on the left hand side as well as all I have seen except in this picture where it's on the right.

The third Cox Beaver chainsaw.......with a surprise Right_10

I think maybe the caps were swapped?  Either way there is identification cast into the tank designating which is which.

Cleaned the engine externally in Berryman's then opened it up.  Cleanest of the three.  

The third Cox Beaver chainsaw.......with a surprise P1016194
The third Cox Beaver chainsaw.......with a surprise P1016196
The third Cox Beaver chainsaw.......with a surprise P1016195

Then cleaned the interior in 91%.  Watch it get progressively nastier.

The third Cox Beaver chainsaw.......with a surprise P1016197
The third Cox Beaver chainsaw.......with a surprise P1016198
The third Cox Beaver chainsaw.......with a surprise P1016199
The third Cox Beaver chainsaw.......with a surprise P1016200
The third Cox Beaver chainsaw.......with a surprise P1016202
The third Cox Beaver chainsaw.......with a surprise P1016201
The third Cox Beaver chainsaw.......with a surprise P1016204
The third Cox Beaver chainsaw.......with a surprise P1016203

No need for fine steel wool or any abrasive cleaner on the shafts. Best low time engine so far.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:13 am

I should've linked to this: http://www.chainsawcollectors.se/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?t=873

That's where I noted several of the differences from. I stumbled across that while trying to look for a good shot of the "Beaver" label for Levent.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:52 am

Admin wrote:I should've linked to this: http://www.chainsawcollectors.se/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?t=873

That's where I noted several of the differences from. I stumbled across that while trying to look for a good shot of the "Beaver" label for Levent.

Thanks for that link Jacob, I was on that site but missed that post.  Bookmarked it.

Telling picture:

The third Cox Beaver chainsaw.......with a surprise Cox_cs10

Sent me looking at mine which all have the extented basket weave pattern.  

Mine all have the fuel tank located on the left and are cast Fuel and Chain oil into the tanks.  Pretty strange that Cox changed them around.

The third Cox Beaver chainsaw.......with a surprise P1016206

Discussion about these go back a long way here on the forum, back to 2012 long before I became a member.  People I do not know.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:15 am

These gas/chain oil meters do not show on the parts diagram or parts lists and between my three chainsaws are not universal.  Some chain oilers are automatic, others use a press a bulb to lube the chain.  These are curious.  The star reed must vibrate from a vaccum provided by the engine to pump the oil to the chain.  

The reason I noticed the reed on this meter was because the membrane was missing.

The third Cox Beaver chainsaw.......with a surprise P1016210

The meter snaps on to this device which is connected to the engine through a tube in the handle.

The third Cox Beaver chainsaw.......with a surprise P1016214

Stayed up last night and sandblasted the bar and soaked the chain in Berryman's and assembled one of the two chainsaws.  Both were missing some parts so I borrowed parts from one to make the other complete.  

The third Cox Beaver chainsaw.......with a surprise P1016211

What's left.  I will need a carburator (forget it) points and condenser and bar and chain to complete.  

The third Cox Beaver chainsaw.......with a surprise P1016213

Sellers picture

The third Cox Beaver chainsaw.......with a surprise Ebay_c20

The third Cox Beaver chainsaw.......with a surprise P1016215
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:31 am

rsv1cox wrote:These gas/chain oil meters do not show on the parts diagram or parts lists and between my three chainsaws are not universal.  Some chain oilers are automatic, others use a press a bulb to lube the chain.  These are curious.  The star reed must vibrate from a vaccum provided by the engine to pump the oil to the chain.  

The reason I noticed the reed on this meter was because the membrane was missing.
The third Cox Beaver chainsaw.......with a surprise P1016210

The meter snaps on to this device which is connected to the engine through a tube in the handle.
The third Cox Beaver chainsaw.......with a surprise P1016214
Bob, looking at the size of the reed and retainer, looks like may be the same part as a Cox .049 reedie? Goes to show some of the ingenuity used to help reduce costs to keep this mini-chain saw affordable.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:15 pm

Thanks George, I'm thinking a bit smaller, perhaps .020.  When I get my courage up I'm going to remove it to see.  I'm sure the gas meter is the same, using a reed and crankcase vacuum to pump gas to the carburator.  

I'm having no luck finding a vintage carburator, searched everything.  But I did find a bar and chain with the correct pitch and rail width new on ebay @ $8.49 shipped.  Cheap enough.  To get those specs I had to get a 14'" bar and chain though.  It came with a 12".

Reassembled the last chainsaw.  Spare parts, all accounted for except that copper head gasket.  One had a single gasket, the other two.  Forgot which one.  Sad  Maybe my pictures will help me.

The third Cox Beaver chainsaw.......with a surprise P1016216
The third Cox Beaver chainsaw.......with a surprise P1016217

Edit:

What do you think?  Remove the flywheel drive, add a blanking plate and a glow plug adapter.............. 14" Prop

The third Cox Beaver chainsaw.......with a surprise Spark_10

The third Cox Beaver chainsaw.......with a surprise P1016218
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:07 pm

You'll probably have to set an eBay search watch for the carb and wait for one to be listed. Might take a year or two or three before one comes up.

In the meantime, I wonder if you or someone on here could fabricate an adapter plate to allow a Walbro, Tillotson or similar small engine carb to be mounted and used.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:05 pm

Admin wrote:You'll probably have to set an eBay search watch for the carb and wait for one to be listed. Might take a year or two or three before one comes up.

In the meantime, I wonder if you or someone on here could fabricate an adapter plate to allow a Walbro, Tillotson or similar small engine carb to be mounted and used.

I'm open to most anything Jacob, but the carburator is just one piece of the puzzle.  I would also need points and condenser and..........at least one maybe two of those little Cox reed-valve pumps.  Somehow chain lube oil and fuel has to be pumped up to those features.  Gravity would not do it.

They do run, and run well.  Got a nice little bark to them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Uuc_PYoCRk

Eye candy:

The third Cox Beaver chainsaw.......with a surprise Chains11
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:34 pm

Oh boy, number 4!

I do not want to be caught up with Cox chainsaw's but I could not pass this one up. Complete except for the carburator air filter. Has both Cox style metering pumps and the fuel tank is on the opposite side from my others. And, cheap with only four bidders, mostly chainsaw collectors, no Cox folks. Disappointed in you Cox Engine Forum guys. Smile Smile

The third Cox Beaver chainsaw.......with a surprise 4_cox_10
The third Cox Beaver chainsaw.......with a surprise 4_cox_11
The third Cox Beaver chainsaw.......with a surprise 4_cox_12
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:34 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Disappointed in you Cox Engine Forum guys.

I knew you were probably going for it, so I didn't bid Very Happy .

Hopefully this one is complete this time. No hidden missing parts.  Cox Beaver Chainsaw

Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:38 pm

Admin wrote:
rsv1cox wrote:Disappointed in you Cox Engine Forum guys.

I knew you were probably going for it, so I didn't bid Very Happy .

Cox Beaver Chainsaw

Absolved. Smile Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:15 pm

This seller does have some interesting Lawn Boys, but shipping is a killer and he's over-priced on most everything including his two Cox chainsaws.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_dkr=1&iconV2Request=true&_blrs=recall_filtering&_ssn=85monroe&store_name=jmstoolsandmore&_oac=1&_nkw=lawn%20boy

The third Cox Beaver chainsaw.......with a surprise Lawn_b11
The third Cox Beaver chainsaw.......with a surprise Lawn_b12

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:15 pm

That bricktop has something going on with the weld repairs on that handle. I also see it has a damaged magnesium deck. Unless there's something special and rare about it, or you intend to use the engine or parts off it, or its cheap or free on the side of the road, I'd avoid the ones with severely cracked or chipped magnesium decks.

What you probably want to do is try to find one locally on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace.

It's actually not uncommon to find someone with a large pile of Lawn-Boys out this way:

The third Cox Beaver chainsaw.......with a surprise Pile_o10

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/669981628518829

Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:12 am

Wow, Lawnboy heaven Jacob.

I would think that trash collectors would toss them aside and sell them later perhaps on the internet. Free stuff and all profit.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:06 pm

rsv1cox wrote:And, cheap with only four bidders, mostly chainsaw collectors, no Cox folks.  Disappointed in you Cox Engine Forum guys.  Smile Smile
Bob, have at, we wouldn't want to spoil your fun. Clean my glasses Very Happy

However on other things, I keep vewy quiet then show up with what I won. Very Happy
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:15 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:
rsv1cox wrote:And, cheap with only four bidders, mostly chainsaw collectors, no Cox folks.  Disappointed in you Cox Engine Forum guys.  Smile Smile
Bob, have at, we wouldn't want to spoil your fun. Clean my glasses Very Happy

However on other things, I keep vewy quiet then show up with what I won. Very Happy

Smile Smile

My routine too George.  Coming from California, shipping is pretty heavy and I hope that he sends it FedEx or UPS.  Although USPS shipped me a bunch of model train stuff today that arrived quickly and undamaged.  

But my day was taken up with this:

The third Cox Beaver chainsaw.......with a surprise P1016272
The third Cox Beaver chainsaw.......with a surprise P1016270
The third Cox Beaver chainsaw.......with a surprise P1016271
The third Cox Beaver chainsaw.......with a surprise P1016273
The third Cox Beaver chainsaw.......with a surprise P1016274

Chain saw residue................thankfully my son came over and helped.  I will sleep well tonight.

Looked like this not to long ago.

The third Cox Beaver chainsaw.......with a surprise Burn_p10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down