Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty Cox_ba12

The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 10:36 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by 1/2A Nut Today at 9:51 pm

» Tired of it all…
by 706jim Today at 9:03 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by 944_Jim Today at 7:58 pm

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Today at 6:41 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Yesterday at 11:34 pm

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 8:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 3:16 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 2:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty Empty
Live on Patrol

The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty

Go down

The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty Empty The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty

Post  rsv1cox Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:34 am

Of the two I thought it had the best chance of running, as I mentioned I gassed it up and tried starting it to no joy, however on the last pull the starter rope would not retract.  

The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty Scan_198

So, I removed the three screws on the starter housing and thought that it would just slip off the "starter shaft" #39 on the illustration like it did on the first one.  It didn't.  I had to pry it off, slowing working side to side.  Then, zing!  Talk about opening a can of worms.  It would not pull out off the shaft, rather I was unknowlingly pulling out the starter spring.......ya can't see what's happening in there.

The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty P1016134
The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty P1016132
The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty P1016133

If that wasn't bad enough I discovered that the whole wiring harness was missing, wires, points, condenser including the flywheel.  No wonder it wouldn't start. Thankfully the robber left the coil.

The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty P1016135

Last edited by rsv1cox on Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty Empty Re: The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty

Post  rdw777 Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:51 pm

Shoot! That’s too bad about the missing parts!…. I sure they would be difficult to find on their own?…. Well, I’m glad you got the first one together OK…. Let us know what happens for #2….
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty Empty Re: The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty

Post  rsv1cox Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:27 pm

rdw777 wrote:Shoot! That’s too bad about the missing parts!…. I sure they would be difficult to find on their own?…. Well, I’m glad you got the first one together OK…. Let us know what happens for #2….

Thanks Robert, but a bit of good news.  

Mark replaced the flywheel on his vintage Sears Chainsaw and kept the old one.  I had noticed that it was about the same size as the Cox and I just tried it.  A perfect fit.

The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty P1016136
The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty P1016137

He says that it has low magnitism and it's missing a fin (@ about 190 degrees in the picture.)  It has counterweights.  But there are two flywheels marked L.M. Cox on ebay for sale right now.  

This morning Mark and I were able to get the Genie back in the bottle.  Took four hands a pair of vice grips some courage and luck to get it done.

The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty P1016140
The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty P1016139

The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty P1016138
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:29 am

If one cared to, would it work in a one-fifth or quarter scale light plane? Then it could be entered in the Cox Engine of the Month Contest. Very Happy
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:40 am

Did the cox chainsaws come in different sizes?
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:05 pm

akjgardner wrote:Did the cox chainsaws come in different sizes?

Not really, same 1 hp motor, & 16" chain.  Differences are 2 different style mufflers, minor changes in the carburator air cleaner, labels - Series 140 and Beaver.  

This one came with a problem, a big problem.  

The hex keyed starter pulley machine screw hogged out despite my best efforts to keep it from doing so.  We had to drill the countersunk head off it to get the ratchet off.   Now I have to drill it out and retap.  Oh to have Mauricio's lathe.

The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty P1016142
The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty P1016141

I did not know what size it was (10/32) so I had to take my other one off to find out.  Takes a #21 bit.  

The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty P1016143

The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty P1016146

The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty P1016145

I found the exact same screw on ebay, $3.68 for 25. You need one or a couple, I'm your guy. Smile

The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty 10_3210
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:26 pm

Getting another flywheel the same size seems like would be the hardest part to find…. Good fortune your son had one to fit!! … Hopefully enough zap to make a spark!!…. A striped bolt and a few other missing pieces just adds fun value to the rebuild…. I bet it will be making that nice two stroke smoke soon Very Happy
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:00 pm

rdw777 wrote:Getting another flywheel the same size seems like would be the hardest part to find…. Good fortune your son had one to fit!! … Hopefully enough zap to make a spark!!…. A striped bolt and a few other missing pieces just adds fun value to the rebuild…. I bet it will be making that nice two stroke smoke soon Very Happy

I hope so Robert.  I want one to run, the other to look at.  So I bought a little insurance.  

The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty Third_11
The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty Third_10

Missing the muffler, carburator, and bar and chain for sure.  I do not know if anything else is missing.  But a careful inspection indicates that the internals are there along with that very important engine which I may want to play with a bit.  Smile Smile  Bar and chain are easy to find, the carburator less so.

I should be able to combine the two and come up with an operating chainsaw.  All three together cost lest than the $640 examples now for sale on ebay.  

First one would be the looker but it still may run, no reason why it wouldn't.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:38 pm

There are aspects surrounding this hobby/mechanics/physics/karma that I do not understand.

Why would this machine screws resistance hog out a hex key hole but succumb to a jewelers screwdriver? Beyond me!

Just went out to the garage to see if a 1/8" bit would chew into this drilled out screw. Set it up on the drill press and when applied I noticed what was left of the shaft actually moved into the shaft........... Got out a hand drill and selected reverse to see if it would back out. Nothing.

Took it to the basement workshop and cut a shallow slot with a dremel and backed it out with a screwdriver. I'm going out and buy a lottery ticket.

The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty P1016147
The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty P1016148
The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty P1016149

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:02 pm

Those saws are lucky you bought them, giving them the attention they've long been waiting for. Sad to see so many of them out there in this rough of shape though.

If you haven't gotten to the carbs yet, I see a complete custom kit is available:

https://www.sugarcreeksupply.net/products/cox-carburetor-kit

There is also this: https://www.coxengineforum.com/t10178p25-cox-140-beaver#200408

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:43 pm

Thanks Jacob, I wll have to look into the first link, and I had forgotten all about the second one.

A looker isn't it.  Maybe a clone..............

The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty Chains10

BTW

"Why would this machine screws resistance hog out a hex key hole but succumb to a jewelers screwdriver"

I had given it a penetrating oil soak to loosen any stickyness on the counter-sunk cone portion of the machine screw followed by a butane torch heat.  Still hogged out the screws hole while the hex head wrench points stayed intact.  I'm still figuring... Smile

Took me about three hours this morning to clean this mess up.  Berrymans, hot soapy water, cold water rinse. Air compresser.

The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty P1016153

The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty P1016150
The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty P1016151
The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty P1016152
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:09 am

The engines turn this morning.

Berrymans, hot soapy water, hot water rinse. Blow dry. Heat and disassembled. Piston in much better condition. Rings are free unlike the first one. Cylinder is fine and the locating fifth hole in the case did not get broken. Careful use of an Xacto blade separated with no damage to the gasket. I love those ganged roller bearings.

The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty P1016155
The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty P1016156
The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty P1016154
The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty P1016157

Chain saws get rough treatment. Ran long and hard in nasty conditions. Hot weather or cold. Sat down on damp forrest floors if their lucky, dropped into streams or on rocks is not unusual. Get the gas/oil mixture off and you can burn up an engine. These two are nicked up a bit but not too bad, both probably purchased for around the house use. Wear it out then drop it off at a pawn shop for five or ten bucks. Pawn shops in WV are loaded with them.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:49 am

Disassembled but still internally nasty, so back in the Berrymans.

Clean inside and out now.  Fine steel wool on the contact surfaces, Marvel Mystery oil on the bearings and wear points.

The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty P1016159

Rings on the first one were seized, these not so.  Used my old finger nail trick 180 out compressing until the gap closed then push.  Not easy!  Bottom ring a hair puller top ring not so much.  Forgot to insert the chain drive shaft, had to pull the piston out again.  Groan!  Got them back in only to find the chain drive shaft had shifted to outside the connecting rod. Out again.  More groan!!  Finally got them and the shaft in.  

The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty P1016158
The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty P1016160

The hex drive screws are in the mailbox and I have the Woodruff keys.  Waiting on building a wiring harness with points and condenser before final assembly.  Thinking about shopping old push lawn mower points/condenser.  I think that Cox used off the shelf parts for these.  

The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty P1016161

BTW - I did not remove the crank pin. Those little snap rings are easy to lose and besides I do not have pliers with points that small.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:10 pm

That’s looking good Bob
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:14 pm

Neat use of the Dremel Bob to get the screw out Thumbs Up …. I used mine one time to drill/grind a broken of stud on an exhaust manifold on a car to the point I could get a tap in it…. Wonderful tool…

I bet your right about ignition components being common to other small engines… Will just be a matter to cross reference…. Part of the necessary detective work Very Happy
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:53 pm

I think you might end up with two good runners. seems to be all coming together👍 If you can get the ignition parts youll be right. great progress. Thumbs Up

yabby
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:07 pm

Looking really nice Bob! Cox Beaver Chainsaw

Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:38 pm

Ha ha.  Well done Jacob on the new emoticons.  Cox Beaver Chainsaw Tether Car Track Train Crossing

You're getting to know members' individual quirks. Laughing
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:19 am

Smile Smile Planes, trains, automobiles, and now chainsaws.  Brilliant!

Ahh, but a new problem.  And I thought seating the rings was difficult.  Getting tab A into slot A, it just don't fit in there kids.  

The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty P1016162
The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty P1016163

and.....I received those hex head countersunk machine screws.  Each has a little dot of nylon half-way up the threads.

The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty P1016165[url=https://servi

Nylock type only in a different way.  First time I have seen these.  Too difficult to screw in so I wirewheeled off most of it. Still effective though.  I scared the shaft up a bit Robert when I used the Dremel.  I'll live with it considering the alternative.  Cox Beaver Chainsaw

BTW, checkout the finish on this chainsaw.  Berrymans..................

The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty P1016166

The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty Cleane19

About ten minutes later.  Just ordered a new gallon.  This one lasted me about five years and cleaned countless model engine and MG/Mazda parts.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:53 am

I just tried again.  Sometimes you just get lucky.

Turns out it does just slip in there.  But you have to hold it off center, tilt it and hold your mouth just right.  

The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty P1016167

Chain oiler.  Metering needle a bit bent,  tapping hammer helped.  Better but not perfect.

The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty P1016169

The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty P1016173

The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty P1016168
The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty P1016170
The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty P1016172

Best way is to screw it into the housing to the point of bend and push.  But we have a plastic housing here so I could not do that.  Brass, careful application of a tapping hammer reduced the risk of snapping.

Two differeent carburators and oil metering systems that I have yet to get into.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:31 pm

Making good progress Bob. Cox Beaver Chainsaw I was going to complain about the plastic carb on a unit that old, but almost forgot about our early 50s Cox engines and their plastic components LOL. Plastic, that new space age material. Be careful to check that the mating surfaces of the plastic carb aren't warped. That can be an issue on old Lawn Boys that use plastic carbs, especially if tightened down too hard, and when gaskets start to go flat unevenly.

Oldenginerod wrote:Ha ha.  Well done Jacob on the new emoticons. Cox Beaver Chainsaw Tether Car Track
You're getting to know members' individual quirks. Laughing

I was long overdue to add a few new emoticons. Still working on Kim's suggestion.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:39 am

Thanks Jacob.

Cox did make some changes to these over the years, but I do not know what predates what.  One carburator is plastic, the other is cast alloy that is not magnetic.  They changed the auto oiler and muffler too. Both are completely different.

Got the third chainsaw yesterday.  Same Cox emblem - 140 not Beaver.  No bar, chain, or muffler and the carburator is missing.  Otherwise complete.  Engine turns over.  

The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty P1016180

The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty P1016182
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:03 pm

Sigh of relief.

I thought I would have to drill out this hex head shaft machine screw too.  Impact screwdriver had no effect and was beginning to round off the hex head.  Tried a L shaped hex wrench.  It just bent.  Went to my tool of last resort and with considerable effort got that nice snap/crack release.  That handle enables a lot of torque.  Dowel through the exhaust port locks the piston.

The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty P1016186
The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty P1016185

I found additional differences.  Again, I have no idea which came first.  Point gap embossed on points cover and engine number.  My other two are not numbered but from internet pictures, I knew that some were.

The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty P1016187
The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty P1016188

Finding the wiring harness made my day and there is a small engine repair shop not to far away.  They should have the condenser and points, then I can wire it up and install in the missing engine.  Now, to find a carburator.

The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty P1016190
The second Cox Beaver chainsaw, not pretty P1016189
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down