Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Testors Silver Wind........... - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Testors Silver Wind........... - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Norvel Needle Needed
by Greenman38633 Today at 4:02 am

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Yesterday at 11:51 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 11:41 pm

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by Cribbs74 Yesterday at 10:52 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 7:04 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 6:55 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Yesterday at 3:38 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 11:34 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 8:21 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Tue May 07, 2024 7:29 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Testors Silver Wind........... - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Testors Silver Wind...........

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Testors Silver Wind........... - Page 2 Empty Re: Testors Silver Wind...........

Post  roddie Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:08 pm

sheeeesh this thread moves quick... and I've taken too long to finish the reply I started... before supper.  Laughing

Nice looking little Silver Wind Robert. Smile The "mains" look naked without fairings and wheel-pants. I'd adjust the wire gear-legs forward 1-1.5"...

Testors Silver Wind........... - Page 2 New_si10

That silver/chrome finish is nice.. when it's untainted. Today there's clear urethane's that are fuel-proof enough.. that if the model was sprayed with a proper cleaner and wiped-down after a flying session.. the finish might stay looking good longer.

Regarding the Testors engine-auctions that you've been winning; (whether reed or FRV induction) the glowheads are likely worth what the engines have cost you.

We should find a 1/2A U-control plan that suits those FRV (beam-mountable) engines.. maybe even a little 18" balsa/composite slab-wing "Cosmic Wind" for you to play around with in the side yard.. Eyebrows

Last edited by roddie on Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling correction)
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Testors Silver Wind........... - Page 2 Empty Re: Testors Silver Wind...........

Post  rdw777 Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:52 am

rsv1cox wrote:Ah Robert, you pushed me over the edge. I have been looking at the powered version for years. Made an offer which was accepted moments ago. For some reason I have always had a soft spot for the JW Firebaby. Now I can give you accurate drawings for either or both.

Congratulations on that fine example Bob!!….. A rare bird indeed!!….. Yes, I may hit you up for some detail photos of this or that and a measurement or two…. I look forward to sourcing or making the rest of the parts…. We’ll have a lot of fun with some new Firebaby threads when they come in Very Happy

Robert
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:18 am

Happy to help Robert. Balsa no problem but the metal nose-piece might be. I have that same OK Cub engine as a spare.

And roddie, that landing gear snaps forward into a slot, sometimes difficult to do. Made that way to facilitate a smaller profile for shipping as it lays back when not engaged. For some reason this one is not angled. I will have to remove it and vice it up and bend it forward. The other SW is fine. Go figure.

A scratced Cosmic/Silver Wind, profile or a hollow log type like my P-38. You may have planted a seed. Smile

Yes, the Winds are pretty cheap, the planes but also the engines. This one I got for $12.00

Testors Silver Wind........... - Page 2 12_dol10

This one I was outbid. First one ever on these.....Overbidder was a model engine guy (I check their codes) he exceeded my low-ball bid. Nice engine but the spinner is an over paint (white) to match.

Testors Silver Wind........... - Page 2 Outbid10

These two arrive in a couple of days. $22.00 for both. Strange backplate on the yellow spinner example. Has me curious.

Testors Silver Wind........... - Page 2 Two_en10
Testors Silver Wind........... - Page 2 Wied_b10

And yes, I just got a new in the package glow head for $10, about the price of a complete engine. Smile

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:32 am

Haha That looks like something to put a set of pliers on Sad Completed one came out good the one you made the wing for I think LOL Got behind and the way things jump around makes it hard for me to keep up that $12 engine looks never run from the fuel hose >> Firebaby time again with Robert at the helm ,,, I didn't realize the wing came in 2 pieces or are they two difft. ones on the firebaby ? This Site Rocks! Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:19 am

getback wrote:Haha That looks like something to put a set of pliers on Sad Completed one came out good the one you made the wing for I think LOL  Got behind and the way things jump around makes it hard for me to keep up that $12 engine looks never run from the fuel hose >> Firebaby time again with Robert at the helm ,,, I didn't realize the wing came in 2 pieces or are they two difft. ones on the firebaby ? This Site Rocks! Very Happy

A single wing Eric. I believe the powered and unpowered wings are the same, but we shall see. I can't remember if I ever flew my Firebaby clone. I will have to put that on my "Swan-Song" bucket list of models to fly. First on the list is my 50+ year old scratched P-38 then everything else................ oh ok.....then my 50+ year old Nieuport 28 still a favorite, then my......................
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:29 am

rdw777 wrote:
rsv1cox wrote:Ah Robert, you pushed me over the edge. I have been looking at the powered version for years. Made an offer which was accepted moments ago. For some reason I have always had a soft spot for the JW Firebaby. Now I can give you accurate drawings for either or both.

Congratulations on that fine example Bob!!….. A rare bird indeed!!….. Yes, I may hit you up for some detail photos of this or that and a measurement or two…. I look forward to sourcing or making the rest of the parts…. We’ll have a lot of fun with some new Firebaby threads when they come in Very Happy

Robert

What is the 4" piece with the red pins?

Testors Silver Wind........... - Page 2 Robert17
Testors Silver Wind........... - Page 2 Altere10

Start a new Firebay thread when you get it. I agree, this will be fun.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:47 am

Part #9… The leadout guide…. Interesting he placed them so far inboard….

Testors Silver Wind........... - Page 2 178fca10
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:03 pm

Ah so..........I should have guessed.

I think there was another engine that came with that stamped metal prop, The K&B Infant - Enfant - etc.. maybe.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:17 pm

Hi Bob, Yes, The Infant came with a metal prop because there were no suitable wood props for it when was first manufactured ….. I think the metal prop was a rushed idea to be able to get it on the market….. The Infant also came with instructions if you wanted to carve your own wood prop  Thumbs Up

I think the focus of the Firebaby’s metal prop was to be able to twist in more pitch as the pilot became more proficient and could handle more speed….I noticed your kit has the metal prop with it as well…. Of course we would never fly those metal props but all polished up for display would be pretty, well,…..Nifty to use a term from back then Very Happy
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:10 pm

Nifty, yes, I use it a lot.  Part of the language I learned in the 1940's and '50's.  I learned a different language when I joined the Navy, a bit more crude but effective when dealing with people.  

But, I picked up the second Jim Walker kit that was on ebay.  Not as nice and considerably cheaper as the seller also accepted my low offer.  One to put away, the other to mess with.  

What makes it attractive is the Jim (Walter) Walker engine included in the kit.  The box still says OK Cub so I'm wondering about the switch.  Comes with other goodies as well.  Someone had a plan.  We may have a forum Jim Walter Fly-em day soon....Smile  I would love to see the membership scratch out clones and fly them.  Not much to the things.

Testors Silver Wind........... - Page 2 2n_bal10
Testors Silver Wind........... - Page 2 2nd_fi10
Testors Silver Wind........... - Page 2 S-l16038

Edit: Hmm, I had to wait 300 seconds to change my misprint "Walter" to Walker............300 seconds is a long time. Sad Smile My bothers name is Walter so it just comes out.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:55 pm

rdw777 wrote:Part #9… The leadout guide…. Interesting he placed them so far inboard….

You know................... Huh... I have to wonder whether mounting that lead-out guide that far inboard.. may have increased the stability of the model in level-flight; making it easier for the man to fly three of them at the same time.. Granted; that was done with his larger "Fireball" model airplane design.. but you have to wonder if that was in his way of thinking..  Huh...

Jim Walker bio
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:16 pm

roddie wrote:
rdw777 wrote:Part #9… The leadout guide…. Interesting he placed them so far inboard….

You know................... Huh... I have to wonder whether mounting that lead-out guide that far inboard.. may have increased the stability of the model in level-flight; making it easier for the man to fly three of them at the same time.. Granted; that was done with his larger "Fireball" model airplane design.. but you have to wonder if that was in his way of thinking..  Huh...

Jim Walker bio

That is nifty roddie. Smile

By the time of the first Olathe Nats (this year is a 20th anniversary), Jim had perfected his three-at-once act for the Sunday demonstrations. We all went home remem-bering Walker, rather than the Blue Angels! He had three McCoy 29-powered Fireballs, sitting there with engines throbbing—like the start of a team race. Waiting on the helpers to get all mills tuned, Jim would stand ex-pectantly in the center of the circle, a helmet on his head. In each hand he held a U-Reely. The third ship's lines ran to a pylon on his helmet. Its motor-control button was clenched in his teeth. All three had two-speed ignition; he flew tight formation without a slip. Eventually, he added a PA deal in his helmet and would explain what was going on as all three ships zipped around like angry bugs, motors zinging up and down to keep position. (It was rumored much later that he managed four ships simultaneously!)

I wonder if that is where Cox got the same idea, flying three at a time.

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:06 pm

Roddie wrote:I have to wonder whether mounting that lead-out guide that far inboard.. may have increased the stability of the model in level-flight;

Possibly so Roddie…..Also interesting from a stability standpoint in his design is a wing with dihedral and also camber for lift ….. Along with a three oz. flying weight it nearly has the ingredients for free flight…. Add some more dihedral and trim it right it probably would….. I wonder if these were purposely built in to buy a little time in a slack line situation that beginners may find themselves in….
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:40 am

rsv1cox wrote: I picked up the second Jim Walker kit that was on ebay.  Not as nice and considerably cheaper as the seller also accepted my low offer.  One to put away, the other to mess with.  

Nice second kit Bob and Jim Walker branded engine to boot!….  I think those JW engines were some version of the Anderson Baby Spitfire…. One of the earliest 1/2 A’s…..First advertisement for Firebaby and a note mentioning the Baby Spitfire from the Model Engine Collectors website below…..Oct, 1950…..A blurb on the metal prop too…. Part of the fun for projects like these is chasing the history down….

Testors Silver Wind........... - Page 2 1209bb10
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:48 am

"Part of the fun for projects like these is chasing the history down…."

Yes, Just search "Jim Walker" on this forum and you will get a history lesson.

I did that and found that I already had a Jim Walker engine and posted about it. Eric took me to school on it.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:53 pm

The extent of my "hobbying" today as most of it was spent outside with tractor and chainsaw.

Added the last piece of the puzzle to the "built" Silver Wind. A single lead-out guide like the original. A combination of Super glue gel which I don't really trust and backed up with Formula 560 which I do.

Testors Silver Wind........... - Page 2 P1017421
Testors Silver Wind........... - Page 2 P1017420

And....China. You gotta love them........sometimes. Vintage Ni-Cad 4.8v 2000mah battery with the correct Hi-tech connector. Really cheap with free shipping.

Vintage battery, vintage Sterling model, vintage radio, vintage operator.

Testors Silver Wind........... - Page 2 P1017422
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:37 am

I like the old transmitter with the Corsair Bob…. Probably 72 MHz….Spent a lot of time on those …. Long antennas…. Frequency boards … Frequency pins….Club guys would get pretty fussy if someone didn’t follow protocol….Was pretty cool when transmitters got servo reverse switches right on the case…..
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:53 pm

rdw777 wrote:I like the old transmitter with the Corsair Bob…. Probably 72 MHz….Spent a lot of time on those …. Long antennas…. Frequency boards … Frequency pins….Club guys would get pretty fussy if someone didn’t follow protocol….Was pretty cool when transmitters  got servo reverse switches right on the case…..

Yes, 72 Mhz, I'm not sure if it's even legal today. Same club rules when I was a member in Florida. We used to fly at the Boy Scouts reservation, my old Sterling Fledgling. I still have it. Not much room to fly here in WV but I have taxied it around a bit. Reliable old Enya .29.

The first JW powered Firebaby arrived today. Seller packed it like it was going to Mars. It has me wondering, the control handle has the Dacron wound around and looks soiled and the fuselage has obvious castor residue yet the engine and the rest of the model is clean and perfect. I'm waiting for the other one to get here, that one looks unused for sure. The two Testors engines arrived today too.

Testors Silver Wind........... - Page 2 P1017424
Testors Silver Wind........... - Page 2 P1017423

But it's always those old dirty castor locked engines that get me excited. Doesn't matter, I have hundreds yet the thrill is always the same. Always the same but at times a little different as in this case. This add-on makes no sense unless it's there for nose weight. Maybe? A perfect fit and it's not coming off. We will see what a Berrymans soak uncovers. Engines numbered, probably from a collector.

Testors Silver Wind........... - Page 2 P1017427
Testors Silver Wind........... - Page 2 P1017426
Testors Silver Wind........... - Page 2 P1017425

It may have come from Testors Texan model, although it doesn't have the add-on. Same spinner (black) is on my Silver Wind.

Testors Silver Wind........... - Page 2 P1017428
Testors Silver Wind........... - Page 2 P1017429

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:28 pm

Glad you got your FB and other goodies…. My parts are still in route….Will be bugging you for info and certain photos!!

I have a hazy memory of one Testors (or possibly Wen Mac)…. I received as a gift when I was a kid…. It either was, or was close to a Piper Cherokee… But it was all done up in camo….. Was never flown but rolled its tricycle gear across the floor a lot with my brothers….
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:54 am

I got the Corsair back together.  I wish they made a clevis spreader, I used a 90 degree pick but it still puts a lot of strain on the servo sliding it onto the servo arm.  Not much room to work in there.  

Testors Silver Wind........... - Page 2 P1017430

Outsized cockpit canopy necessary to house the receiver, there just isn't any space in the fuselage.  

If the wing wasn't permentaly attached (boxing issues, fragile) I would send it to Robert or Kim gratis.  I would love to see it fly, but never in tree/mountainous West Virginia or in my hands.  I have little invested, airframe was from a consignment shop, paint, monokote, radio, and engine all on hand.  

But, it's tail heavy.  Balances half way back on the wing and just ahead of the cockpit.  You would not think so with that long nose and the OS sitting up front.  Take off go straight up, straight down, no big loss.  Just as long as I'm not around to see it.  Smile

Last edited by rsv1cox on Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:34 am

Mystery Testors engine got a Berrymans soak which loosened the obviously intended nose weight thingy enough so I could pry it off with a pick. A slightly loose fit, I wrapped it in scotch tape.

What is it? I think it's a Johnson nut out of a Packard twin six.

Testors Silver Wind........... - Page 2 P1017432
Testors Silver Wind........... - Page 2 P1017431
Testors Silver Wind........... - Page 2 P1017433

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Greenman38633 Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am

Nice to see you at work there Plenty of stuff to do. 😊
Greenman38633
Greenman38633
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:13 am

I see that one FB kit w/engine on the Bay now it gone LOL Is that a JW Firecracker in the box with the muffler and carb. dampeners on it ? I have that engine and couldn't get it to run just popping and now I think its over comprested ? Still mounted on the board that's pitiful Sad https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-jim-walker-firecracker-065-c-1858280497
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:36 am

getback wrote:I see that one FB kit w/engine on the Bay now it gone LOL Is that a JW Firecracker in the box with the muffler and carb. dampeners on it ? I have that engine and couldn't get it to run just popping and now I think its over comprested ? Still mounted on the board that's pitiful Sad  https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-jim-walker-firecracker-065-c-1858280497

I see that one FB kit w/engine on the Bay now it gone LOL Is that a JW Firecracker in the box with the muffler and carb.

Yup.......... It's now winging it's way to Capon Bridge West Virginia population at last census around 350 souls and me.  Smile

I way over-paid for both of them, unusual for me but still somewhat less than their asking prices.  I researched ebay/RC Groups and others prices for these over the years and they ranged from $100 to $1000.

Got a Jim Walker marked U-Reely(Unreely) coming too.  Cheap, beat-up missing the handles knob.  Just my style.  

I have not tried to run mine, the one with the "hat" intake restrictor.  If you ever get your's running let us know.

PS - Changed my mind about that engine add-on. Closer examination shows it to be a crank pin out of a 1937 Duesenberg.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:42 am

The $12 U-reely LOL I was looking at that and thinking about pulling the trigger but kind e want a throttle control ?!? WEll you have cleaned out eBay lol! all but those parts >> https://www.ebay.com/itm/133904795537? Yes will let everybody know LOL This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next