Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

and I thought I knew the P-38 Lightning Cox_ba12

and I thought I knew the P-38 Lightning Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by Admin Today at 10:31 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Today at 8:11 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by rsv1cox Today at 7:41 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 7:29 am

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by MauricioB Yesterday at 10:11 pm

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:51 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» I brake for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:38 pm

» Ball - Socket Joints
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» A little nostalgia…
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:32 pm

» A new useful transport vehicle
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 10:32 am

» TAPLIN TWIN 7ccm
by grant.symes Yesterday at 3:29 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

and I thought I knew the P-38 Lightning Empty
Live on Patrol

and I thought I knew the P-38 Lightning

Go down

and I thought I knew the P-38 Lightning Empty and I thought I knew the P-38 Lightning

Post  rsv1cox Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:40 am

and I thought I knew the P-38 Lightning Strang12

even wiki has nothing. Lifted from a news feed regarding a Soviet/USA incident in the latter days of WW2.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

and I thought I knew the P-38 Lightning Empty Re: and I thought I knew the P-38 Lightning

Post  rdw777 Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:53 pm

Different canopy and rear of pod….Some wing section add on’s or modifications for lift or the charger system?….Different for sure….
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

and I thought I knew the P-38 Lightning Empty Re: and I thought I knew the P-38 Lightning

Post  rsv1cox Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:09 pm

Probe on the nose, that extended pilots pod, dimpled wing tips, and blankets on the wings has me flummoxed!!
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

and I thought I knew the P-38 Lightning Empty It's the Swordfish

Post  duaneh Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:42 pm

That particular Lightning was called the “Swordfish”. There was only one built, it was modified from a standard P-38 in 1943, and used by Lockheed for research into the aerodynamic buffeting and compressibility problems that the P-38 was experiencing at that time.

After the war, Lockheed used the airplane as a research and test airplane for the XP-90 jet fighter program.

I have no idea how that picture got attached to a news item about a Soviet/USA incident, as it was purely a research plane and was never used operationally.
duaneh
duaneh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:13 pm

duaneh wrote:That particular Lightning was called the “Swordfish”. There was only one built, it was modified from a standard P-38 in 1943, and used by Lockheed for research into the aerodynamic buffeting and compressibility problems that the P-38 was experiencing at that time.

After the war, Lockheed used the airplane as a research and test airplane for the XP-90 jet fighter program.

I have no idea how that picture got attached to a news item about a Soviet/USA incident, as it was purely a research plane and was never used operationally.

Thanks Duane, that's been bothering me.  I was thinking some sort of data collection, radiation maybe after USA/Russian atomic tests.  Extended pod for data collecting gear.

Another view

and I thought I knew the P-38 Lightning Swordf10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  HalfaDave Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:34 am

Hi rsv1cox and All,
Duaneh nailed it.
That is one of the many amazing modifications of a p-38 Lightning.
The stab got moved back 1ft to test early jet airfoils...
A one of.
If you don't believe me,
I have an Air Enthusiast magazine I can post you.
(This is not an April fools joke ! )
Take care,
Have fun,
Dave

HalfaDave
HalfaDave
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:31 am

What incident was that, between the USA and USSR?

Interesting picture, I read earlier that an experimental version of the P-38 was made for enabling the installation of floats. That involved ”upswept” tail booms, to avoid saltwater spray, and an extra, rear-facing canopy/seat for monitoring. But I quickly concluded that that ain’t it Very Happy

All this old experimantal stuff is fascinating, and also educational. A lot of effort was needed to get this kind of complex tests done. Vacuum tube technology, paper reel plotters, lead batteries and such had to be wired in, and carried onboard, making everything more challenging. Transistors, computers and all that has really been a revolution in technology.
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:42 am

What incident was that, between the USA and USSR?

I failed to bookmark the site after reading the news feed and I can't find it again...........But, from memory.

Germany occupied Hungary during the second world war but Hungary was split by German and Russia leanings and fought on both sides.  In the latter days of the war P-38's were attacking areas they thought were held by Germans but were in fact Russian forces.  Soviet fighters attacked the Lightnings thinking there were German but when both realized their mistakes they backed off.

Maybe if Andras reads this he will have a comment.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:23 am

Thanks Bob. I am sure that kind of incidents took place quite often. Friendly fire and such. A real-live shooting war is mostly confusion and random, so I’ve heard. Back then even more so.
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Davenz13 Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:10 pm

and I thought I knew the P-38 Lightning P38_4110

It’s taken me a while to reply to this post but I finally found a gap in the schedule, busy busy busy, to hunt out my Aircraft in Profile bound volumes to look up the P38.
In volume 5 I found and scanned a section of text that refers to the aircraft in question.

and I thought I knew the P-38 Lightning Cci16011
and I thought I knew the P-38 Lightning Cci16010

In the first page of text, it refers to A.A.F. 41-2048 which is the number that can be seen on the left rear tail-fin of the P38 in the photo.
I knew I had something on it but I just had to dig it out.

and I thought I knew the P-38 Lightning P38-4110
Davenz13
Davenz13
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:46 pm

That long probe in front of the aircraft is the pitot tube for air speed indication. In experimental and prototype aircraft, they mount it way forward to minimize any buffeting caused by the wind against the aircraft surfaces, as to have as truer indication of relative airspeed as possible.

The McDonnell Douglas C-17 prototype had such a pitot tube. On the C-17, they painted it candy striped to make it more visible in photographs and to the ground crew. Once initial flight tests are suitably completed and they have gathered sufficient data and customer approval, then the pitot tube will be located to a standard location on production aircraft.

Regarding the odd photo of a P-38 studies aircraft, just wonder if some of the odd, "out-of-place" features in it were special touch ups to hide "classified" exterior items not to be disclosed to the public.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down