Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

April 11 -- National 8-Track Tape Day!  Cox_ba12

April 11 -- National 8-Track Tape Day!  Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» music vids.. some of your favorites
by Oldenginerod Today at 1:59 am

» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Yesterday at 2:45 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 11:22 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Yesterday at 5:33 am

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:28 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

April 11 -- National 8-Track Tape Day!  Empty
Live on Patrol

April 11 -- National 8-Track Tape Day!

Go down

April 11 -- National 8-Track Tape Day!  Empty April 11 -- National 8-Track Tape Day!

Post  Admin Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:54 pm

April 11 -- National 8-Track Tape Day!  -1612
April 11th is National Eight Track Tape Day, a day dedicated to bring back the good memories of the sixties, seventies and early eighties! No I'm not making this up, it is a real holiday. Although the origin is unknown, it has been brought up on online forums since the late 1990s. If you make a search on Google, you will find more sites bringing this holiday up.

"Stereo 8" 8-Track tapes were invented in 1964 by a group of engineers for Bill Lear (yes, the Lear Jet guy) for use in his planes. Thanks to his connection to Motorola (who made radios for Ford cars), 8-track players were introduced in Ford cars in 1965. 8-track tapes were very popular by 1968 and factory players were available for most cars and trucks. Lear's design was inspired by the 4-track "Muntz Stereo-Pak" invented in 1962 by Earl "Madman" Muntz for use in cars. Muntz's 4-track tape was inspired by the 3-track "Fidelipac" invented by George Eash in 1954 for use in radio broadcasting. Fidelipac broadcast carts were used well into the 90s and even used a little today. Although many think the cassette tape came after the 8-track, the 8-track actually came after the cassette! The cassette was actually invented in 1962 by Philips and were first being mass produced in 1964 by Philips in Germany.

8-track tapes are packed with a continuous loop of 1/4" tape and are ran at a speed of 3-3/4ips. They contain 4 stereo programs, 2 tracks for each program. Their players are knocked out of alignment 4 times per tape (the head moves) and that is activated by a foil splice going past 2 contacts. They can hold more music than a CD as CDs usually can hold a max of 80 minutes while an 8-track can be packed with more than 90 minutes of tape.

In 1983, most record companies have dropped the format and soon after prerecorded 8-tracks have been removed from store shelves. Columbia House and a few other record clubs continued to offer the format available in limited music/bands until 1988. 8-tracks continued to be offered by small recording studios well into the 1990s and even into the 2000s (by then, they were mostly offered as a joke and a novelty). The most recent 8-track to be majorly released was in 2009 by Cheap Trick and their album The Latest, they were sold for $39.99 each!

April 11 -- National 8-Track Tape Day!  8-trac10
(okay, I may have too many)
April 11 -- National 8-Track Tape Day!  Imag5910

April 11 -- National 8-Track Tape Day!  Imag5911

April 11 -- National 8-Track Tape Day!  Space_10April 11 -- National 8-Track Tape Day!  New_8-10

https://sites.google.com/site/8trackrepair/

Now this holiday isn't completely about 8-track tapes, the 8-track tape is just one of those 1970s icons. You can celebrate this holiday by remembering the good ol' days and most importantly, by running a pre-1980 Cox engine!

Last edited by Admin on Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:46 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling mistake)

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

April 11 -- National 8-Track Tape Day!  Empty Re: April 11 -- National 8-Track Tape Day!

Post  nitroairplane Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:15 pm

Admin wrote:(It is me your admin want you to quote huge messages)
lol you must be happy.

Last edited by nitroairplane on Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:28 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : quote removal)
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

April 11 -- National 8-Track Tape Day!  Empty Re: April 11 -- National 8-Track Tape Day!

Post  Admin Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:25 pm

oh Jesus, don't quote all that! LOL, no I think I have gone insane...

Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:28 pm

nitroairplane wrote:
lol you must be happy.
Well If you say so.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:40 pm

nitroairplane wrote:
nitroairplane wrote:
lol you must be happy.
Well If you say so.

yes, thats exactly what I said!

Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:03 pm

Admin wrote:
nitroairplane wrote:
nitroairplane wrote:
lol you must be happy.
Well If you say so.

yes, thats exactly what I said!
Ok then lol.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:30 am

Great memories of riding with my cousin Bobby in his jacked-up Nova, listening to CCR on his brand-new Real Tone (or Sound Design?) 8-Track, with not a care in the world...or the knowledge that the player was consuming the tape as it played it! For some reason, Bobby is not NEARLY as nostalgic as me about those days !!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:05 pm

Kim wrote:Great memories of riding with my cousin Bobby in his jacked-up Nova, listening to CCR on his brand-new Real Tone (or Sound Design?) 8-Track, with not a care in the world...or the knowledge that the player was consuming the tape as it played it! For some reason, Bobby is not NEARLY as nostalgic as me about those days !!!!

Must have been good times!

Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  GermanBeez Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:12 pm

my dad had a chevelle ss with an 8-track player, man, what i would've given to see that car...
GermanBeez
GermanBeez
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:29 pm

My and my brother collect them. Also some LP stuff. We have about 50 tapes and another 50 records. The ElectroPhonic stereo/player still works and sounds great - we use it almost every day.

April 11 -- National 8-Track Tape Day!  Hpim9018

April 11 -- National 8-Track Tape Day!  Hpim9019

April 11 -- National 8-Track Tape Day!  Hpim9020

April 11 -- National 8-Track Tape Day!  Hpim9021
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/MiniCub?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:03 pm

Keep your eyes open for "quad" tapes and players! They are one of the first real 4 channel surround sound systems. They contain 2 programs with 4 tracks per program. You can tell when you have a quad tape by a notch in the top left corner of the cart. They are worth several dollars each no matter what is on it as they were not around very long. I had a few that I found but I never got my hands on a player for them so I ended up fixing them up and selling them to a friends dad who did have a player for them. I refuse to buy players/decks off eBay as I really would like to look it over first, plus the shipping on stuff like that...

Quad Tape

Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down