Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Space Hopper/ Midwest kit  Satellite 320 Cox_ba12

Space Hopper/ Midwest kit  Satellite 320 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Today at 8:59 pm

» Baja Bug / Dune Buggy Recoil Starter
by vambrosini Today at 8:57 pm

» Wanted: Pull Starter reapir kit for a Cox Dune Buggy.
by vambrosini Today at 8:55 pm

» cox dune buggy/ baja bug
by vambrosini Today at 8:49 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by 944_Jim Today at 7:46 pm

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Today at 7:37 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 10:29 am

» B-25 Mitchell
by rdw777 Today at 9:49 am

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by rsv1cox Today at 9:39 am

» Cox water wizard
by Wiggy Today at 6:32 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 9:52 pm

» Roddie's water-cooled bench-run vid
by roddie Yesterday at 8:55 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Space Hopper/ Midwest kit  Satellite 320 Empty
Live on Patrol

Space Hopper/ Midwest kit Satellite 320

Go down

Space Hopper/ Midwest kit  Satellite 320 Empty Space Hopper/ Midwest kit Satellite 320

Post  dankar04 Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:04 pm

1961 clear summer morning. Young lad with friend out to do some flying. My brand new Satellite 320 with Space Hopper in the nose. Filled the tank an started engine. Only put small amount in tank and let her go. Climed like a home sick Angle and tank had way more fuel then I counted on. Well it went out of sight and was gone. No DT / no tick off timer. Two weeks later get a call from a man saying it landed in his large yard. He just found it and my plane had a address tag and phone #. Inspite of 2 wks. outside it was in good shape. I cleaned engine after I picked it up. No problem and it fired right away. lesson learned use a D/T and engine timer.
Back then we never used a reset tool. Plugs lasted for a long time. I use to buy the big Burgress battery. Not Mikey mouse d cells of that day. The plane flew great and need to build a new one. I just picked up a Space Hopper. Not new but a good one. Why the trip back in time, why not. I'm sure many of us had some good times with these engines. Cox was the ticket except for one other engine. The Holland Hornet .049/.051. When Cox released the TD line they were the best. I still used both and enjoyed them equal.
Dan Biplane Flying
dankar04
dankar04
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Space Hopper/ Midwest kit  Satellite 320 Empty Re: Space Hopper/ Midwest kit Satellite 320

Post  nitroairplane Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:17 am

Yeah i love free flight planes they remind me of my youth and are always fun to watch fly.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Space Hopper/ Midwest kit  Satellite 320 Empty Re: Space Hopper/ Midwest kit Satellite 320

Post  Kim Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:39 am

Great note ! I think of these little engines as time machines that let us jump back for a few moments, to when our focus was narrowed on just getting another can of fuel, and when a single engine and it's airplane were the center of our hobby. Makes me appreciate them to this day!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:19 am

Hi Kim,

So true, good story Dankar.

Here's another flyway story, maybe not as warm and fuzzy: Back in the 90's I designed a really nice V-tail for 1/2a pylon. Morning of the race as I was firing it up for a quick pre-race practice flight (the Tee Dee was really screaming) I was thinking to myself "I gonna kick some butt today" as I gave it a toss the plane climbed out straight and true, but when I touched the stick...nothing!

I could only watch as it slowly climbed in large clockwise circles, higher and larger till it finally disappeared from sight, all the time the Tee Dee was screaming away, not changing a beat. The following spring a farmer found it on the edge of his bean field in some bushes, it had flown well over a mile. The monocoat had some punctures that let snow get in it over the winter and the wood was all damaged. The Rx switch was in the on position, but if I would of waggled the feathers before launch instead of thinking how great it was running, I wouldn't be writing this.

Mark
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:39 am

Mark Boesen wrote:Hi Kim,

So true, good story Dankar.

Here's another flyway story, maybe not as warm and fuzzy: Back in the 90's I designed a really nice V-tail for 1/2a pylon. Morning of the race as I was firing it up for a quick pre-race practice flight (the Tee Dee was really screaming) I was thinking to myself "I gonna kick some butt today" as I gave it a toss the plane climbed out straight and true, but when I touched the stick...nothing!

I could only watch as it slowly climbed in large clockwise circles, higher and larger till it finally disappeared from sight, all the time the Tee Dee was screaming away, not changing a beat. The following spring a farmer found it on the edge of his bean field in some bushes, it had flown well over a mile. The monocoat had some punctures that let snow get in it over the winter and the wood was all damaged. The Rx switch was in the on position, but if I would of waggled the feathers before launch instead of thinking how great it was running, I wouldn't be writing this.

Mark

Not not as good as this guys lost and reunited plane story Smile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=X41gGBlWpAo
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down