Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Ummm... This is a joke, right?   Cox_ba12

Ummm... This is a joke, right?   Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by aspeed Today at 8:06 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by 706jim Today at 6:44 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Ummm... This is a joke, right?   Empty
Live on Patrol

Ummm... This is a joke, right?

Go down

Shocked Ummm... This is a joke, right?

Post  batjac Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:40 pm

This has to be a joke, right?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141154340408?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1572wt_1200

I mean, I know I got mine for a good price at $50 NIB.  But $500?!?  Whoevever bought this shoulda waited.  They come up relatively often on eBay in that condition.

The Flabbergasted Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Shocked Re: Ummm... This is a joke, right?

Post  fredvon4 Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:13 pm

I guess not a joke... any auction item may end up being significantly over bid

I listed a few (5) hand held radios from the Army I found in a dumpster in 1994. They were only really good as parts and I said so in my listing. I expected around $25 to $45 for the lot. Damned things got bid up to over $480 in last few hours. I contacted the winning bidder, a fireman from Georgia, and told him that the bid was way out of line with the value of the items and I would gladly accept $100 and free ship them to him. He insisted on paying what he bid.... Crazy world.... conversely I listed a few items once with no reserve and .99 opening bid.... days later not one bid

I mostly list only buy it now items, and mostly I look ONLY for buy it now items

On the other hand this seller has an item I want and will bid on it in a few days if I see no real interest from others

The Fox 36X Mark VI I won this weekend had opening bid of $109... Last ten min I put in a max value to me.... my bid won at the opening bid price as the only bidder...very curious
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:16 pm

Looking at the bids, it appears it was a bidding war between two guys...now the interesting part is gonna be if the seller ever gets paid.

Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:18 pm

batjac wrote:This has to be a joke, right?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141154340408?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1572wt_1200

I mean, I know I got mine for a good price at $50 NIB.  But $500?!?  Whoevever bought this shoulda waited.  They come up relatively often on eBay in that condition.

The Flabbergasted Mark

He's done well especially as it didn't have the cardboard sleeve.
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:24 pm

Money Toss 
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:15 pm

Christmas money and end of the year estate settlements can give some people the illusion they're rich. Then there are others who actually are.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:13 pm

$500!!!!! Rolling Eyes 
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:26 pm

Like i was saying the question is: Does it actually sell for $500? Not unless the seller actually collects and I doubt it, once the goofy buyer comes out of the ether and realizes what he's done. I used to have to deal with this stuff all the time when I sold on eBay, its still the most lucrative media for selling, but you will get a lot of 'no pays' when your dealing with so many buyers.

Last edited by Mark Boesen on Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:37 pm

I been seeing the TD.020 NIB sell from 125.00 to 175.00 lately, one right now bid to 152.00. Way more than even a year ago.
Still 500$ I don't think the  seller will be paid.
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:31 pm

fredvon4 wrote:I guess not a joke... any auction item may end up being significantly over bid

I listed a few (5) hand held radios from the Army I found in a dumpster in 1994. They were only really good as parts and I said so in my listing. I expected around $25 to $45 for the lot.  Damned things got bid up to over $480 in last few hours. I contacted the winning bidder, a fireman from Georgia, and told him that the bid was way out of line with the value of the items and I would gladly accept $100 and free ship them to him. He insisted on paying what he bid.... Crazy world.... conversely I listed a few items once with no reserve and .99 opening bid.... days later not one bid

I mostly list only buy it now items, and mostly I look ONLY for buy it now items

On the other hand this seller has an item I want and will bid on it in a few days if I see no real interest from others

The Fox 36X Mark VI I won this weekend had opening bid of $109... Last ten min I put in a max value to me.... my bid won at the opening bid price as the only bidder...very curious
 hello Fred in Texas , I have also had some strange occancys on the bay at large , I had mentioned it brfore I want go on about it . just saying! RC Plane :heater: :heater:
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:49 pm

This wasn't really a "bidding war". One guy placed a maximum bid of $499 to make sure he won it. It is risky and he wouldn't have expected it to go that high. He was an experienced bidder and this is a technique often used.

However, a newcomer to Ebay with a score of three??? Very suspicious! I bet the experienced guy is glad he didn't win and was outbid.
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:13 pm

Is that number next to the bidders the number of purchases they've made?
How does it affect future bids if you have a no-pay in your buyer's record, can a seller refuse to deal with you if you have bad buyer reps?

Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:53 pm

Looks like a shill...

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  G.O. Stang Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:40 pm

I saw this auction and was watching it solely to see if the price would go even higher. Something definitely seems fishy about the whole thing. For $500, you could have a new in box venom.
G.O. Stang
G.O. Stang
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:49 pm

I bought my NIB Venom for less that that. I only have 2 engines in my collection that cost more than that. My Strato Bug and the Olympic rear drum valve prototype.

I bet the seller doesn't see a dime and it will be relisted in a week or 2.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:52 pm

ian1954 wrote:This wasn't really a "bidding war". One guy placed a maximum bid of $499 to make sure he won it. It is risky and he wouldn't have expected it to go that high. He was an experienced bidder and this is a technique often used.

I have used this tactic before. The tie clip .010 I have from Dan Sitter was won this way......

Can be a real eye opener as you see the price jump in the last second.  Money Toss 
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:32 pm

ian1954 wrote:This wasn't really a "bidding war". One guy placed a maximum bid of $499 to make sure he won it. It is risky and he wouldn't have expected it to go that high. He was an experienced bidder and this is a technique often used.

However, a newcomer to Ebay with a score of three??? Very suspicious! I bet the experienced guy is glad he didn't win and was outbid.

All you need is TWO guys doing that! :-)

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:16 pm

I have used that tactic as well. It's a gamble, but I only throw it in at the last 7sec.

Lately I just bid, walk away and hope for the best. I am much happier for it. So is my wallet!!!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  anm2 Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:10 pm

I realize I am coming late to this discussion, but the price for that engine is ridiculous. I am looking at the bid pattern and its very hard to discern what was going on. It appears the winner outbid the first guy at $380, which was well above the value of the engine. The second bidder then put in another bid, and then over time, kept adding bids. It looks like the winner eventually sniped the engine. I can't imagine why anyone would pay $380 for that engine, let alone, $500. You can find them in new condition for less than $100. I guess if you wanted a new box too, you might go to $155, but even still that seems steep. An individual with 3000+ transactions is generally a reseller who would have known the value of the item, so this makes even less sense.

With that said, my observation is that .020s and .010s continue to gain in value, while BWs, GBs, BBs and Texaco engines continue to decline. The exception being one off engines (spook, etc). I believe that is because the .020s and .010s are actually being used AND collected at the same time, while the others are being simply collected. Additionally, nobody is mass producing (or making them at all?) .020s and .010s so you either go with COX or you don't go at all.
anm2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:26 pm

The most $ I ever paid for an engine was for a brand new one that was in current production (at the time) being an OS .10FP RC at around $50. It was back in 2001? I have never ran it... it is literally "new in box"... If I were to list it for sale, I wouldn't expect to even get what I paid for it... because; although no longer in production... it is not considered "collectible". Nevertheless... there are people who might want one bad enough to pay a LOT more than it's worth.

Ummm... This is a joke, right?   Os_10_10

"Bidding wars" are nothing new... and often; there is more than meets the eye, when an item sells for a ridiculous amount. What's to stop a team (seller and bidder who know each other) from sucking-in a prospective buyer.. and driving the price through the roof on an item? Nothing... especially if the prospective buyer is willing to spend the money.. and wants the item bad enough. If the seller's buddy-bidder wins the auction.. there is no actual "sale"... and the same item shows up again later.. to be auctioned again at some point.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down